3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,724 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Maxim

Proud and passionate, the Marquess of Bradbury swore vengeance on those who had stolen his title and lands. . .and branded him a traitor to the Crown.

Elise

Beautiful and spirited, she found herself the innocent prisoner of the marquess, her family's most hated foe.

So Worthy My Love

They were bitter enemies caught in a dangerous tide that swept through Elizabeth's Englan...more
Published September 28th 1999 by Avon (first published January 1st 1989)

A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley ColeAgain the Magic by Lisa KleypasLady Sophia's Lover by Lisa KleypasThe Wedding by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Vengeance Is Mine
23rd out of 161 books — 199 voters
Lover Awakened by J.R. WardDark Lover by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasLover Unbound by J.R. Ward
Best Alpha/Gamma Hero
164th out of 646 books — 501 voters

More lists with this book...

Mermarie
I know this one is generally well liked and KEW fans will likely send their lynch-mob after me, but I just couldn't get into this one. I've enjoyed other novels of her work, though.

This book annoyed me. You have an embittered heroine whose sass dominants everything/everyone, and a hero who is not a genuine hero by any means, nor is he a rakehell to its fullest. I felt he was cowed and broken down by the heroine, and honestly- he didn't care who she was, he jus' knew he couldn't defy her by telli...more
Lucy
I really enjoyed this book! :)
The hero, Maxim Seymour, Marquess of Bradbury, is dreamy +.+
He is extremely clever, funny and totally hot! Wow, he really can seduce a woman! ;D
And he is so protective of Elise +.+
Though, I must admit that I was a bit annoyed when he had the fix idea that he was in love with Arabella! *Sigh*
Gosh, everybody saw since the beginning that Elise was that stunning, wonderfully alive young woman and Maxim was such a hardheaded man!
Only when Nicholas started courting Elis...more
Ashley S.
Oh...this book had me laughing and rolling on the floor while I did that. Elise and Maxium were so meant for each other. Although I would have really liked to see them fight alittle more than just grow weak with love so soon. I was sort of expecting that Elise would make it a little more difficult for him. I wanted to see them two having one of their amusing battles with each other again. But then it was all I love you, and you just couldn't help it your heart just melted for these two character...more
Poca85
This book is hilarious! I've never read anything else by Woodiwiss, since Regency type romances aren't really my speed...but I love historical fiction and, like many women, can appreciate a good love story. The real gem of this book is the hilarious dynamic between the two main characters, Elise and Maxim. During their heated debates, pranks and general hatred of each other, the hatred turns into love. You'll really enjoy this book, I know I did!
Debora
Contrariamente a quanto mi aspettavo questo romanzo si è dimostrato decisamente piacevole! Lo stile della Woodiwiss è tornato ad essere nuovamente brioso e intrigante ed i personaggi principali sono ancora una volta "sullo stesso livello", senza tracce di maschilismo nell'aria.

Maxim è un personaggio così virile, onorevole, raffinato e forse un po' accecato dal suo desiderio di vendetta che, dall'alto dei suoi 30 anni, fa sorridere vederlo messo alle strette, quasi ingabbiato, da una ragazzina tu...more
Elecktra
Devo dire che la Woodiwiss mi piace sempre più, questo libro lungo e tortuoso è stato una piacevole scoperta...pieno di colpi di scena e amori dolci.

Non mi sarei mai apettata che mel finale ci fossero più cattivi e uno peggio dll'altro sia per inettitudine che per cattiveria...

Elise è un personaggio fantastico pieno di vita e poi la si può quasi definire l'8 piaga d'egitto quando si scatenano le sue ire...alla faccia....all'inizio mi faceva davvero pena il povero Maxim tra secchie e spine ne ha...more
Andrea Jackson
I had this on my shelves a long time because I figured Kathleen Woodwiss is one of the originals of modern romance and so it's like a study requirment. I was so totally riveted. I read 600+ pages in 2-1/2 days. I didn't like the heroine being so young--so I pretended she was 20. but other than that it was pretty exciting, the love affair, the mystery/suspense, the characters and interweaving of plots. So fascinating that when I got the end, I flipped it over and started at the beginning and rere...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Ms Woodiwiss wrote some of my most favorite "keeper" books but, unfortunately, this was not one of them. It's not her worst, though, by any means. The hero kidnaps the wrong woman and takes her off to Germany or thereabouts. It has that love-hate relationship theme going for it.
Jan
I've read quite a lot by Woodiwiss. She's a classic romance author, and even though her heydays had already passed by the time I discovered her, I still devoured them all. What else is a girl to do when she has a friend who owns every single book by her, and gives you something else to read in the romance front besides category romance. (In that time, Belgium basically had only category romance to offer to a teenage girl without a romance loving mother).

So yeah, I devoured them all, and this is...more
Lynn
I read this book about 7 or 8 years ago when I was only 13/14-ish and totally forgot about it. It was pure coincidence when I suddenly got my hands on this book again (ebook actually). I didn't even realize I had read this whole thing before. When the H & h finally met after the kidnapping, I remembered it. My point is, the story wasn't very memorable. It's a classic romance novel, kinda old-school. The plot wasn't unique, but some ideas were interesting (e.g. most of the time the protagonis...more
kilty
Can 100 pages of great reading halfway into the book make it "so worthy"? Well, yes! just skim through the rest;)
It begins with a brief glimpse of the hero in disguise and a mistaken abduction of the heroine instead of the hero's gorgeously, boring ex-fiancee..The first few chapters focuses on the heroine and this other dude who himself agrees that he is not hero material..so why, pray tell are we forced to read about his intense feelings and her lukewarm response???
Fiiiinally, the hero makes a...more
Lucille
Whilst this book had an awesome story, I felt let down when it came to the character development...

I didn't like Maxim much. First, he's arrogant and didn't care for Elise at all until Nicholas (the pirate of my dreams, *ehem*) started to court her. Not until he saw Elise sleeping and figured that she was waaaaay better than her boring cousin, Arabella (who is not only boring, but also a traitor and possibly a whore).

I didn't have much problem with Elise. She's perfectly flawed, tough, knows wha...more
Angelyn Schmid
Is it possible to incorporate the Hanseatic League into a swashbuckling, far-horizon historical romance? Ya, it is for Woodiwiss. Mein Gott! Wunderbar!

Modern readers will find fault with the voluminous backstory that precedes any significant action in this book. They might also become confused by the cast of thousands moving in an intricate plot. But the hero (I wouldn't have given a favorite of Elizabeth I the last name of Seymour--but that is a minor flaw) was made the way I like heroes of his...more
A.I. Pereira
My first romance novel (I was ten) - I recently saw it at my Mom's and picked it up and was enchanted all over again.
The Heroine is feisty, the Hero is broody, and the book is action-packed with history and adventure and great comebacks.
Highly recommend it!
Jenni
I really enjoyed this book! Finally a romance novel that had a little different story to it and the love baby wasn't even born during the book :) Ok so once again another romance novel. It was a fun book to read! I really enjoyed the bantering between the hero and the heroine some of it made me laugh right out loud. It was very romantic. It was definitely full of love you could feel how much these 2 characters loved each other and you never doubted it. He was of course the perfect man and you ca...more
Lauren
Not as captivating as her other novels but Woodiwiss does not dissapoint on character development.
Ayesha Ahmed
I had read this a long time ago, forgot the name :( but now I have found it :) yay me
Anneliese Bennion
One day I will finish reading all of the books she's written and I'll be very sad. I was thinking about that today as I was trying to pick a new book to read. Anyway, this was a most wonderful book. She's kidnapped accidentally, she loathes him, he falls for her, she falls for him and a lot of good story, adventure and plot in between. What's not to like!?! I have yet to be disappointed by one of her novels. This one I could hardly put down. I read it every spare second I had and thus finished i...more
Carobe
Min älskade du är.
Kate Innes
I loved Petals but this book moved too slow for me. I ended up being disappointed and kept putting it down for weeks to a month at a time because the story never seemed to grab me. I'll try Woodiwiss again but this time I'll have to be a bit more selective.
Jamie Wilson

I absolutely love Kathleen's books! Her characters are always so wonderfully written! But I found my love in dear Maxim! AND how much did I love crazy Elise?!?! Holy cow she is possibly one of my favorite characters in any book! I love how she doesn't just sit by and let things happen TO her, like most women of the time period, she fights back! Fantastic!
Star
Waaay to much flowery language. It just goes on and on. In addition the language is old English style so it's harder to read.

Woodiwiss is supposed to be one of the greats so she was on my list of authors to try.

I had to skim until about 1/2 way through and then I gave up. Seems the authors motto was "why say with a paragraph what you can say with 6 pages"?
Melanie
The story of Elise and Maxim was good...adventurous, spirited, with some mystery thrown in.I would rate the sex as moderate; not too steamy. The author was quite 'wordy' to the point I wanted to skip parts to get to the next chapter. That being said, I am keeping the book in case I want to read it again, but I don't believe it will be any time soon.
Melody
Cette histoire aurait pu être excellente sans tous les passages inutiles, ennuyeux et pénibles. Le début ne donne vraiment pas envie de poursuivre la lecture et il faut attendre la page 119 pour que l'histoire entre nos héros débute. Pour le positif: les personnages principaux ne sont pas mal et j'ai bien aimé l'évolution de leur histoire.
Jaden
3.5 stars out of 5

The usual historical romance by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss with a cranky, smart and sexy as hell hero, and an intelligent heroine full of boldness and wits. The come-together of those two seemed somewhat rushed though and not so smooth, thus the sore non-existence of the chopped off stars.
TJ
Ms. Woodiwiss is consistently good storyteller but this one was just too slow for me. Rarely am I able to put one of her books down, this one I had to make myself pick up. The last third of the book did start to move and became much more interesting, still this 658 page book would have been a fabulous 358 page book.
CriCra CriCra
Estremamente lungo, infatti c'ho messo un sacco di tempo per finirlo. Comunque a grandi linee, posso dire che mi è piaciuto. Molto intenso, una trama molto intricata e ricca di colpi di scena, che vedono coinvolti molti personaggi. Ogni tanto un pò troppo dispersivo forse ma a volte capace di farmi sorridere.
Kristina
This is the first romance novel I ever read - it set me up to go for the bad boy who liked to mess with me! I am always suspicious of guys who are too nice - if you don't fight, where's the passion?? This book has a lot of passion - as well as heaving bosoms and throbbing manliness... A fun, fluffy read!
Gail D.C.
This along with "A Rose in Winter" are my favorite books by this auther. The spirit of Elise is just fabalus...I love re-reading and laughing often again and again and her temper, daring and love her so. Maxum is really hot and I find it hard not to get enough of him. Talk about all the right stuff.
Tracy Fleming-Swehla
I used to love the girl falling for the bad boy who straightened out when she came into his world -- now that I have a teenage daughter, I think I see things differently. HA! But this was a "sigh-er" back in the day. Kathleen Woodiwiss was my favorite author when I had my head so high in the clouds.
  • Chance The Winds of Fortune
  • The Tiger Lily
  • A Dangerous Man
  • The Hawk and the Dove
  • Love, Cherish Me
  • Angel in Scarlet
  • Paradise Wild
  • The Black Swan
Kathleen Erin Hogg was born on June 3, 1939, in Alexandria, Louisiana, she was the youngest of eight siblings by Gladys (Coker) and Charles Wingrove Hogg, a disabled World War I veteran. She long relished creating original narratives, and by age 6 was telling herself stories at night to help herself fall asleep. At age 16, she met U.S. Air Force Second Lieutenant Ross Eugene Woodiwiss at a dance,...more
More about Kathleen E. Woodiwiss...
The Wolf and the Dove The Flame and the Flower Shanna A Rose in Winter Ashes in the Wind