Start by marking “Dangling in the Tournefortia” as Want to Read:
Dangling in the Tournefortia

Dangling in the Tournefortia

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  852 ratings  ·  19 reviews
There is not a wasted word in Dangling in the Tournefortia, a selection of poems full of wit, struggles, perception, and simplicity. Charles Bukowski writes of women, gambling and booze while his words remain honest and pure.
Published May 31st 2002 by Ecco (first published June 5th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Dangling in the Tournefortia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangling in the Tournefortia

Paul
A very solid time frame for Bukowski. He was at the top of his writing powers, and letting his poems run free, without forcing them or thinking he had to be a Poet rather than a poet. His poems here have a great deal of pain, a rather greater amount of pride, and the brash simplicity of his thoughts echo that subset of my own thoughts that are probably best left unstated.

I often wonder how often Buk himself stated these thoughts out loud. It's very easy to confess your hatred and desires (and t
Daniel
It was the third week of university and assignments had appeared out of nowhere and snowed me under. I was determined not to allow stress to take over so I dashed to the library, specifically looking for Bukowski.
And I'm so glad I did.

His style of writing is so haphazard whilst at the same secreting away meaning. He seems not to say much but say a lot at the same time. He is a dirty old man and he's unashamed about it, he's a drunk and he does not hide his sins.

My favourite poem in this colle
Anthony Jacobson
This was probably the second or third book of poetry I ever read outside of the British stuff that was prescribed in school. 'Dangling in the Tournefortia', like all of Bukowski's poetry collections, show a different side to the author. While still rich in the raw, visceral inclinations of his prose fiction, his poetry shows his adeptness at creating moods and sensations with strings of words. There is a sensitivity in Bukowski's poetry that is not always so obvious elsewhere. Oft criticized for ...more
Philip Fullmam
I do this thing when I read poetry collections, I understand it's not uncommon. When I read a poem that really resonates with me, I go to the table of contents and put a star next to the title. With this book I found I was going to put a mark next most every poem I read, it was becoming a distraction. I finally gave it up, and just read. Of all the Bukowski I have read, this is my favorite collection.
Brandon
Average collection of Bukowski poems, simple slices of life that are at times sort of boring. I hate it when Bukowski writes about his BMW, or when he complains about fans calling him on the phone. But all is not lost! There is a good cat poem in this collect ("Bad Fix") and a good poem about his father ("Slow Night"). Then there are two memorable and rather disturbing pedophilic poems: "A Gallon of Gas" and "True Confession." If I had a favorite poem in this collection it might have been "For t ...more
Zack
I had high hopes for this one, it being perhaps the only book by him I'd never read or even seen a copy of. Kind of a let down, though. Only a few really good ones, and I got the feeling he wasn't trying as hard as usual, as if on purpose. Not since "Come On In," a recent book of posthumous new poems, have I been so disappointed. Very readable, but lacking soul-force in a way.
Corey Deiterman
More short stories and poetry from Bukowski. It's still masterful, but it's right around the time he was growing fed up with his fame and some of it becomes depressing in that aspect. Especially towards the end, it begins to focus on his increasing feeling of having sold out and his writing being fake in a way, which is a bit awkward to read. Still great though.
Zombieaps
When I read Bukowski's poems I always feel like we're at a bar together and have much to drink. He's learning over to me with awful breath and telling me every tale that he can think of. We've known each other awhile and he's not much interested in what I have to say, but that's never bothered me.
Chris S
And here ends my Bukowski journey. After three books (TDRALWHOTH and LIADFH) I've come to the conclusion that if you've read one book of Bukowski poetry you've read them all - as the repetition of themes/subject matter soon gets quite tiresome.
jenna
I give this book 5 stars for two reasons; one: it's about the only poetry I can read and appreciate on my own, two: it's simply anti-hero brilliance! The poems make me think, make me feel, make me laugh-it's a good time.
Jay
I didn't find many poems I liked in about the first 70 pages; after that there was a pretty normal distribution of quality for a Buke book. Starts slow, finishes good. Sounds like a horse Bukowski would have bet on.
Jon Awerman
I enjoyed this immensely. It's fascinating to follow his progression as a poet and human throughout his life. There's a lot of shit in here, but it is outweighed by the beauty he more often than not stumbles upon.
Michael X
This is the fourth book of poems I have read by Buk. It is a little more tender than the last few I have read, but there are some harsh ones, too. Overall, Buk is Buk and it was a good read.
Colter
this should have been one of his poems:

A guy once
said,
"I wanted to skip
your poems
but,
I pushed through like one of the
craps
you write about.
I wasn't happy I did."
Lloyd Francis
I usually do not understand poetry. But this book really brought an element of life that is so raw, it compelled me to read it cover to cover, more than once.
Jt Wright
The first poetry book I've read. Very good, much in the same spirit as Ham on Rye and Post Office. Loved it. Plan to read all of his poetry.
Erin
Jan 28, 2008 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: buk lovers everywhere
A big surprise gift first edition! I see some of his smuttier/pedophilic writing creeping into his poems in this one.
Betsy Wheaton
One of my favorite poets. This collection includes one of my favorites - 'yes'.
Subhankar Das
Translated 6 poems in Bangla from this book.
Eywaudt
Eywaudt marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Silviabahrou
Silviabahrou marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Ethan Rivers
Ethan Rivers marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
  • 1933 Was a Bad Year
  • Hank: The Life of Charles Bukowski
  • Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
  • Charles Bukowski
  • Insel
  • Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Midnight Mass (Peter Owen Modern Classic)
  • Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets
  • Scrambled Eggs and Whiskey
  • The Art of the Lathe
  • Guignol's Band
  • Gentleman Practice
  • Selected Poems
  • Mexico City Blues
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
More about Charles Bukowski...
Post Office Ham on Rye Women Factotum Love is a Dog from Hell

“meeting is more exciting than parting but parting is important if you want to stay alive in a certain way.” 1 likes