Start by marking “Dangling in the Tournefortia” as Want to Read:
Dangling in the Tournefortia

Dangling in the Tournefortia

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,032 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
There is not a wasted word in Dangling in the Tournefortia, a selection of poems full of wit, struggles, perception, and simplicity. Charles Bukowski writes of women, gambling and booze while his words remain honest and pure.
Published May 31st 2002 by Ecco (first published June 5th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Dangling in the Tournefortia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangling in the Tournefortia

Vishal
Dec 23, 2016 Vishal rated it it was amazing
What else can I say about Bukowski's poetry, but that he inspires me to be one. To channel all the cumulative suffering into the creation of something equally tragic but not as meaningless.
Paul
Nov 03, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it
A very solid time frame for Bukowski. He was at the top of his writing powers, and letting his poems run free, without forcing them or thinking he had to be a Poet rather than a poet. His poems here have a great deal of pain, a rather greater amount of pride, and the brash simplicity of his thoughts echo that subset of my own thoughts that are probably best left unstated.

I often wonder how often Buk himself stated these thoughts out loud. It's very easy to confess your hatred and desires (and t
Gretchen
Ehhhh... This isn't going to make sense but here goes: Some of these poems were good and some were not. But also, all of them seemed exactly the same. To me they were mostly indistinguishable from each other. I suppose I prefer Bukowski's novels to his poetry.
Brandon
Jan 06, 2010 Brandon rated it liked it
Shelves: charles-bukowski
Average collection of Bukowski poems, simple slices of life that are at times sort of boring. I hate it when Bukowski writes about his BMW, or when he complains about fans calling him on the phone. But all is not lost! There is a good cat poem in this collect ("Bad Fix") and a good poem about his father ("Slow Night"). Then there are two memorable and rather disturbing pedophilic poems: "A Gallon of Gas" and "True Confession." If I had a favorite poem in this collection it might have been "For t ...more
Tom Quinn
Feb 14, 2015 Tom Quinn rated it it was ok
I'm not a poetry fan, but I am a Bukowski fan. Some of these poems leap off the page and attack your brain with a ferocity unlike anything else. Others are little more than prose with funny line breaks. It's a mixed bag. Plus the content grows repetitive. Maybe it was a bad idea to read them all one after another.

But then again, it could be that I'm just a poetry-hating philistine.

2.5 stars out of 5.
Philip Fullmam
Mar 21, 2014 Philip Fullmam rated it it was amazing
I do this thing when I read poetry collections, I understand it's not uncommon. When I read a poem that really resonates with me, I go to the table of contents and put a star next to the title. With this book I found I was going to put a mark next most every poem I read, it was becoming a distraction. I finally gave it up, and just read. Of all the Bukowski I have read, this is my favorite collection.
Kacey
Aug 09, 2016 Kacey rated it really liked it
"I have to tell you, faithfulness, that's something rare."

I feel like this started off a little slow, but the poems got progressively better as the collection went on. By the end, I was loving it. This collection reminded me of how much I like Bukowski's poems. They are all so raw and unfiltered and that's what makes them great for me.
Andrew
Jun 23, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
When I read Bukowski's poems I always feel like we're at a bar together and have much to drink. He's learning over to me with awful breath and telling me every tale that he can think of. We've known each other awhile and he's not much interested in what I have to say, but that's never bothered me.
Jon Awerman
Aug 29, 2013 Jon Awerman rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this immensely. It's fascinating to follow his progression as a poet and human throughout his life. There's a lot of shit in here, but it is outweighed by the beauty he more often than not stumbles upon.
vi macdonald
Dear Straight Men,
This guy?
Really?
But he's so boring?
There's a lotta straight male poets you could've latched onto - why'd you pick the least interesting one from the crowd?
Oh well - to each their own.

Sincerely,
Vi
Datschneids
Apr 06, 2016 Datschneids rated it really liked it
Probably my favorite of Bukowski. His ability to turn his extremely nihilistic viewpoints into meaningful (and often sad) prose is uncanny. Sometimes a glass-half empty approach helps one look at life a bit more objectively.
Ron
May 01, 2015 Ron rated it it was amazing
The man's brilliant. You know it. I know it. What else can I say. This collection is from his later years. A bit tamer, with that old man scent, but still rock-n-roll.
Daniel
Nov 03, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
It was the third week of university and assignments had appeared out of nowhere and snowed me under. I was determined not to allow stress to take over so I dashed to the library, specifically looking for Bukowski.
And I'm so glad I did.

His style of writing is so haphazard whilst at the same secreting away meaning. He seems not to say much but say a lot at the same time. He is a dirty old man and he's unashamed about it, he's a drunk and he does not hide his sins.

My favourite poem in this colle
Anthony Jacobson
Nov 15, 2011 Anthony Jacobson rated it it was amazing
This was probably the second or third book of poetry I ever read outside of the British stuff that was prescribed in school. 'Dangling in the Tournefortia', like all of Bukowski's poetry collections, show a different side to the author. While still rich in the raw, visceral inclinations of his prose fiction, his poetry shows his adeptness at creating moods and sensations with strings of words. There is a sensitivity in Bukowski's poetry that is not always so obvious elsewhere. Oft criticized for ...more
Andy
Jun 23, 2016 Andy rated it liked it
Shelves: modern
To begin with, know I love the Buke (thanks to this book I found out that is what he preferred). But... this book must have been written towards the end. Some of his works seem to flow merely out of what he did that day, or memories with a dulled poignancy. Kind of like his work "Hollywood." The reader gets a kinder gentler Buke. Which, at times is nice, but it is the difference between a warm cup of hot chocolate, and espresso. This isn't to say that there are not some outstanding works. "yrs. ...more
Zack
Nov 10, 2008 Zack rated it it was amazing
I had high hopes for this one, it being perhaps the only book by him I'd never read or even seen a copy of. Kind of a let down, though. Only a few really good ones, and I got the feeling he wasn't trying as hard as usual, as if on purpose. Not since "Come On In," a recent book of posthumous new poems, have I been so disappointed. Very readable, but lacking soul-force in a way.
Corey Deiterman
Aug 02, 2010 Corey Deiterman rated it liked it
More short stories and poetry from Bukowski. It's still masterful, but it's right around the time he was growing fed up with his fame and some of it becomes depressing in that aspect. Especially towards the end, it begins to focus on his increasing feeling of having sold out and his writing being fake in a way, which is a bit awkward to read. Still great though.
Luis Guillermo
Jun 10, 2015 Luis Guillermo rated it really liked it
It's been over a month - I'd say - without reading anything but the back of the Glade while I'm sitting in the toilet. Actually, I think I haven't even read that, so it feels good to finish something.
In this one, Bukowski, once again, shoots with honesty about luck, talents, women, horses, life and death.
Good reading.
Chris S
Mar 05, 2010 Chris S rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
And here ends my Bukowski journey. After three books (TDRALWHOTH and LIADFH) I've come to the conclusion that if you've read one book of Bukowski poetry you've read them all - as the repetition of themes/subject matter soon gets quite tiresome.
Jay
Apr 22, 2014 Jay rated it it was amazing
I didn't find many poems I liked in about the first 70 pages; after that there was a pretty normal distribution of quality for a Buke book. Starts slow, finishes good. Sounds like a horse Bukowski would have bet on.
jenna
Mar 28, 2008 jenna rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 stars for two reasons; one: it's about the only poetry I can read and appreciate on my own, two: it's simply anti-hero brilliance! The poems make me think, make me feel, make me laugh-it's a good time.
Michael X
Sep 09, 2008 Michael X rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book of poems I have read by Buk. It is a little more tender than the last few I have read, but there are some harsh ones, too. Overall, Buk is Buk and it was a good read.
Erin
Jan 28, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: buk lovers everywhere
A big surprise gift first edition! I see some of his smuttier/pedophilic writing creeping into his poems in this one.
Matt Long
Jun 27, 2016 Matt Long rated it it was amazing
Been a long since I last read Buk and this was just like the first time we met- I soared through the pages in a day and I'm grasping desperately for the next in line.
Lloyd Francis
May 05, 2013 Lloyd Francis rated it it was amazing
I usually do not understand poetry. But this book really brought an element of life that is so raw, it compelled me to read it cover to cover, more than once.
Jt Wright
Sep 13, 2012 Jt Wright rated it it was amazing
The first poetry book I've read. Very good, much in the same spirit as Ham on Rye and Post Office. Loved it. Plan to read all of his poetry.
Colter
Feb 15, 2013 Colter rated it it was ok
Shelves: booklist-2013
this should have been one of his poems:

A guy once
said,
"I wanted to skip
your poems
but,
I pushed through like one of the
craps
you write about.
I wasn't happy I did."
Mark Doran
Mark Doran rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Patrick Galt
Patrick Galt rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
James Curtin
James Curtin rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2011
  • Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
  • Insel
  • Scrambled Eggs and Whiskey
  • Guignol's Band
  • Midnight Mass (Peter Owen Modern Classic)
  • Place: New Poems
  • Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets
  • Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Gentleman Practice
  • Dance Me to the End of Love
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
More about Charles Bukowski...

“meeting is more exciting than parting but parting is important if you want to stay alive in a certain way.” 2 likes