Start by marking “The Elusive Flame” as Want to Read:
The Elusive Flame

The Elusive Flame (Birmingham #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,864 ratings  ·  59 reviews
A woman in desperate straits ... A fearless man ... A marriage of convenience on turbulent waters ...

Cerynise Kendall has been left destitute and in dire need following the death of her doting patron and protectress. A brilliant young artist tossed from her home with only the clothes on her back, Cerynise must now turn to a childhood companion for assistance --- the dashin
Published September 25th 2007 by Avon (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Elusive Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elusive Flame

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsSlammed by Colleen HooverBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
Cry, Tear-Jerker Romances
190th out of 584 books — 963 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonThe Rebel's Promise by Jane GodmanThe Raven Prince by Elizabeth HoytWicked Intentions by Elizabeth HoytThese Old Shades by Georgette Heyer
The 18th century Romance List
71st out of 197 books — 136 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
I suppose this review isn't necessarily for this book - but there were some things in this book that made me wonder and now I'm kind of curious.

I admit to not having read many traditional romances at all. Paranormal romances, yes, I think I can speak with some kind of authority on those but the regency, chic lit and...well, what other type of romances there are? Well, I don't really have a clue. Sorry!

But there are some devices used in Romances that kind of make me wonder what those particular a
Rebecca Behrman
Kathleen E. Woodiwiss is my first romance author, and you really never forget your first. Typically I like her--she writes lovely bodice-rippers with elements of chivalry and family and sinister villains. Her settings are quite opulent, usually taking place largely in mansion homes set in the wealthy parts of London or the English or American countryside. The Elusive Flame is the sequel to The Flame and the Flower, about Brandon and Heather's son Beau and his friend Cerynise Kendall.

I did enjoy
Joshua
I like Woodiwiss because unlike a lot of other popular romance authors, she can actually write. I really loved The Flame and the Flower. I thought I was in for a poorly written and trashy bodice ripper, but it far surpassed my expectations, So this lackluster sequel was even more disappointing.
The first half was okay, but I really didn't care to hear about their perfect and violently happy married life throughout the second. The last 80 or so pages were pretty exciting, but it certainly didn't
Nicol
I love books from Mrs. Woodiwiss, but that was one of the most boring books I've read.
I mean, the first half was okay, you know, pent up sexual energy and stuff but when all was well, I was exposed to the boring description of a perfect marriage. I don't wanna hear about how often she have to feed the child or how the tea party went. I don't care. Give me a plot twist or something to get excited about. Most of the time I wished that a bomb would drop nearby and create a havoc so it would become
Amanda Westmont
I'm obviously on a Woodiwiss kick and I'm happy to confess the reason: I spent $200 at Amazon's kindle store last month and I'm trying to cut back. With a Woodiwiss title - usually at 600 pages or LONGER - you get a lot for your $6 investment.

In the case of THIS particular book, however, I really wished it ended at page 300, where it needed to DIE. And be BURIED. Once the hero/heroine are TOGETHER, this books needed to END. It was the PERFECT SPOT for a nice happy ending!

But then, in her usual
Ssil
Kathleen Woodiwiss es una de las autoras más prestigiosas del género y con algunas de sus novelas me inicié como lectora de RA. Después de tanto tiempo sin leer nada suyo, cogí La frágil llama del amor con muchas ganas, con la ilusión de reencontrarme con la autora y, sobre todo, con unas ganas inmensas de empaparme de esa RA con aroma a antiguo que tanto me gusta y a la que echo tanto de menos.

De la noche a la mañana Cerynise se ve expulsada del que ha sido su hogar durante los últimos cinco añ
Debora
Romanzo dolce e appassionante anche questo nuovo capitolo che parla della famiglia Birmingham. Qua ci troviamo in compagnia di Beau, figlio maggiore di Heather e Brandon, i protagonisti di Il Fiore e la Fiamma.

Cerynise è rimasta orfana e, grazie a qualche buona stella, viene lasciata andare a Londra dallo zio, dalla sua tutrice, per completare la sua istruzione femminile. Sono cinque anni di gioia e la ragazza cresce diventando una splendida diciassettenne alle prese con il suo ingresso in socie
Mary Honeycutt
I really enjoyed the story of Cyrnese and Captain Birmingham, although there were times, that I would have elaborated a little more on details. Cyrnese is dismissed from her guardian's home when her guardian passes away suddenly by her guardian's jealous nephew and Cyrnese is unaware that her guardian's entire estate was left to her. She runs to the dock and discovers Captain Birmingham whom she has known since she was a young girl. She entrusts him and asks him to transport her back to the Caro ...more
Edan Marie Esquibel
If you want a happy ending story, this one is for you.

The story is fairy good, equipped with ample descriptions that can really make you imagine events in the book. The heroic, tall, dark and handsome hero is there with the fair, lady in distress maiden. It was a good read and one of your usual stories. Nothing really stood out about the story.

Although I'm a bit troubled about Cerynise's state (okay, spoiler) when she killed someone. Okay, maybe she was defending herself and the one she killed w
Becky Frost
Chore to get to the end. But I needed to make sure all the pieces would fall into the exact pieces they fell into. Was never more happy than when the guy started hacking at the hull of the ship with the axe to create a hole because I was ready to do something like that just to break up the monotony. And not to mention the Home Alone feel at the end....
Brit Blaise
This isn't the first time I've read this book. It may not even be my second time. The edition I just read had Mom's initials in the corner of the title page. I read it again just to be touching pages I knew she'd touched. Kathleen WOODIWISS was her favorite author and it was a passion we shared...love of historical romance.

The storyline was good, but it's hard for me to read so much flowery narrative without skimming. I used to enjoy it. If you like to read at a slow pace and soak up the words.
Kathy Lewis
If ever someone wanted an example of how to ruin a good thing, read this sequel. I re-read the first book after 30 years because I found the sequel recently. The first book was just a good as I remembered it being. The sequel, not so good. It drags on and on and on and on and on. Get it? Decent story. Like having the old characters updated but my goodness. This book could have been half the length and that would have made it much, much better.
Denise
Sequel to THE FLAME AND THE FLOWER which was a much better read IMHO. THE ELUSIVE FLAME is written about 26 years later (Beau is grown and a sailing man like his father). Meets a young woman in distress, marries her in a platonic arrangement and they leave England to sail to North Carolina in America. During the trip Beau becomes deathly sick, impregnates our heroine (who doesn't want him to feel forced to stay married to her because she's pregnant). When they reach Charleston she moves in with ...more
Rebecca
I was hoping to read another exciting adventure in the Birmingham series, but this one just seemed to fall short of my expectations. A lot of parts in the book (specifically since half of the story takes place on a ship voyage) seemed to just drag along and was just utterly boring. The romantic relationship between Cerynise and Beau seems almost forced and unrealistic in some points, and some of the so called "intense" scenes just seemed so comically... blegh. The only part that really pulled me ...more
Marie
BIrmingham series

One of the better series, had a very good story but you have to read them in order which I did not, but still a very good historical romance.
Stevie Seber
I loved reading Beau's story, though I admit, I read it out of order, I read The Flame and the Flower, then A Season Beyond A Kiss and then The Elusive Flame, the correct reading order is The Flame and the Flower, The Elusive Flame and then A Season Beyond a Kiss; The Elusive Flame tells the story of Heather and Brandon's first-born, their son, Beauregard Birmingham and how he meets, rescues and falls in love with the darling Cerynise Kendall. If you're a Kathleen E. Woodiwiss fan or are just me ...more
Cjaven
I love her writing. This is the second time I've read this book.
Jenni
this is the sequel to The Flame and the Flower. As far as the love scenes go it is very hot and steamy. this book was written i think 27 years or so after the first one so I can see why it might be a good story but because I read one after the other I felt like they were practically the same story. The adventures were not new only the characters. but like I said if nothing else the love scenes are hot! It was a page turner because I needed to find out what would happen between the hero and the h ...more
Carrie
It was what I expected! I wasn't disappointed.
Hadeel
I'm not much of a romantic, but half the times I read romance books (I love historical fiction, but most are romance *sigh) the heroine does something stupid. At times I get frustrated with the blatant stupidity of the heroine and some of her actions, and her spouse's as well, but I tend to find a humorous angle the situation in order to continue, so it becomes an enjoyable read from then on. It might be from my eccentric way of thinking that's all. =)
Stella
Kathleen E. Woodiwiss has always been one of my favorite writers. In fact, it was with her book, A Rose in Winter that had gotten me hooked on historical romances. I've always eagerly devoured her stories, mostly because of the unexpected twists she has, but this book has left much to be desired. It was boring, and there wasn't much of a twist in it towards the end. Everything was, disappointingly, predictable.
Carahcat
I liked this book and for the most part it kept my attention. The only real complaint I had was that about half way through the book it got a little slow, but it did pick up again in the last quarter of the book. If you're looking for an easy beach read, or something for an escape, this will do just fine.

rockycloe
My favourite from this author!!!! Omg everyone must read it! Maybe it's because I love romance at sea and love stories between passenger/heroine and captain/hero but I couldn't put it down. There is also a long part in which they are fonally together and we see a lot of their happily ever after. Amazing
Heather
Jul 10, 2007 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantics
A sequel to The Flame and the Flower, I really enjoyed this book. I had already gotten attached to the characters from the original story, and it was fun reading about how they had turned out later in life. If you enjoyed The Flame and the Flower, you should enjoy this one as well.
HC
I really liked this book until it got about 350 pages in. It started getting really long and I realized that the author tried to fit in about every cliche in romance there is. I still think she's a really good writer and a classic in romance but she needed to end it a bit sooner.
Laine
it's like history repeating itself. how cerynise and birmingham met is also the same with brandon and heather although cerynise and birmingham had known each other from their childhood. loved how birmingham is very protective and show how gentleman he really is.
Tania
Just finished this book this morning and only took me 3 days to read. The second in the series, but even better than the first. The grown son Beau is nicer than his Dad was in the first book i think and not so stubborn. I love this series classic.
Rosi
A much less dramatic read compared to the one that started it all. While it was a pale comparison, I did, however enjoy the banter between the H and H. It did get annoying when orb was constantly used as a metaphore for eyes and boobs!
Manuela
So che a molte è piaciuto molto, ma io l'ho trovato decisamente dimenticabile ed inverosimile... Insomma, lui si dimentica per tutto il romanzo di aver passato la notte con lei... Improponibile!
  • Lost Love, Last Love (Morgan-Challenger, #4)
  • Tears of Gold
  • No Other Love (No Other, #3)
  • A Gentleman's Honor (Bastion Club, #2)
  • Someday My Prince (Princess, #2)
  • Tempted
  • This Heart of Mine (O'Malley Saga, #4)
  • Hearts Aflame (Haardrad Viking Family, #2)
  • Guardian Angel (Crown's Spies, #2)
  • The Accidental Mistress (Mistress Trilogy, #2)
Kathleen Erin Hogg was born on June 3, 1939, in Alexandria, Louisiana, she was the youngest of eight siblings by Gladys (Coker) and Charles Wingrove Hogg, a disabled World War I veteran. She long relished creating original narratives, and by age 6 was telling herself stories at night to help herself fall asleep. At age 16, she met U.S. Air Force Second Lieutenant Ross Eugene Woodiwiss at a dance, ...more
More about Kathleen E. Woodiwiss...

Birmingham (3 books)
  • The Flame and the Flower
  • A Season Beyond a Kiss
The Wolf and the Dove The Flame and the Flower Shanna A Rose in Winter Ashes in the Wind