Start by marking “The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Christianity Before Christ” as Want to Read:
The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Christianity Before Christ

The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Christianity Before Christ

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Khrisna of India. Thammuz of Syria. Esus of the Celtic Druids. Mithra of Persia. Quexalcoati of Mexico. All were crucified gods, and all met their fates hundreds of years before Jesus appeared on the scene. In this foundational work of modern atheism, American spiritualist KERSEY GRAVES (1813-1883) breaks the Christ myth down into its component parts and ably demonstrates ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Cosimo Classics (first published October 27th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors

Toni Daugherty
I knew of other religions claiming the same miracles but I had no idea there were so many exact miracles and exact characters since ancient orientalism. An eye-opener! Many of the miracles attributed to Jesus were probably stolen from ancient religions long before the Council of Nicea, when those few powerful men decided what would be in the great book or what would actually be god's word for the masses.
Book
One of the best books of its type. The author collected loads of folklore and mythology that predated Christianity to show that the story of Jesus was not original or unique but just one more slight variation.
Kane Cassidy
This book is dated and it shows, I had to google a few of the listed figures to get a better understanding but when I did, I gained an immense undetstanding and the second reading was a breeze.

Brilliant work, eye-opening expose on how Christianity has borrowed from pre-existing religions. Richard Dawkins often asks theists to acknowlege their atheistic states regarding Gods like Zeus and Thor, after reading this I now ask Christians to prove to me that Zoroaster isn't my saviour, to excellent ef
Christina Vogel
Many of his assertions are twisted and verses are misquoted to fit with his beliefs. While there's no doubt that other myths existed before the birth of Jesus, some of the inaccurate facts and overall bad assertions make me question the validity of anything he wrote. This is Some of the most irresponsible writing I have ever seen.
Scott
While I agree with Mr. Graves about the similarities between Christ and the other martyred saviors of the world, the presentation was very dry, and most of which I have heard before (although his book was obviously printed first). I much preferred his work with the Biography of Satan.
David Bevins
This is a great reference to discover all the myths/stories in history that resemble the Christ figure.

However, the authors snarkiness just overwhelms me, hence two stars.
Okpara
Mar 05, 2011 Okpara added it
The books helps i clearing up the myth related to the story of Jesus the christ
Mtoti
Feb 16, 2011 Mtoti marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: every one
didnt read yet but here is some1 elses review on it from amazon:
Christians have heard this argument a thousand times, but few really know what people mean by saying that little in Christianity is original. This book provides you with the reasoning behind this claim in an exhaustive way. I found this book to be a much better choice than any of Robert Price's books because Price gets his ideas (or most of them) from this author. For a good counter-argument I recommend The Jesus Legend by Eddy and
Jake
purestrain religion
Roger
Roger is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Dancingfoolvb
Dancingfoolvb marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Voss
Voss marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Richard Sanders
Richard Sanders marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Courtney Woullard
Courtney Woullard marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
robert giles jr
robert giles jr marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
James Hollomon
James Hollomon marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
William Clark
William Clark is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Krystina
Krystina marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Larry Sanchez
Larry Sanchez marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Charles Seay
Charles Seay marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Cherrelle Holden
Cherrelle Holden marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kersey Graves was a skeptic, atheist, spiritualist, Nontheist Friend, reformist and writer. He was born in Brownsville, Pennsylvania. His parents were Quakers, and as a young man he followed them in their observance, and then later moved to the Hicksite wing of Quakerism. According to one source, Graves did not attend school for more than three or four months in his life, but another source says t ...more
More about Kersey Graves...
The Biography of Satan: Exposing the Origins of the Devil The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors 163 Questions for Believers in Postmortem Punishment The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Christianity before Christ Vol.2 The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Christianity before Christ Vol.1