Start by marking “Prime-Time Health: A Scientifically Proven Plan for Feeling Young and Living Longer” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Twelve years ago, renowned physician and author Dr. William Sears was diagnosed with cancer. He, like so many people, wanted-and needed-to take control of his health. Dr. Sears created a comprehensive, science based, head-to-toe program for living a long, fit life-and it worked. Now at the peak of health, Dr. Sears shares his program in PRIME-TIME HEALTH. This engaging and ...more
Published January 6th 2010 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Prime-Time Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prime-Time Health

Terri Rogers
I am really glad that I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I first fell in love with Dr. Sears when I had Sydney (my daughter). He had a way of making me feel better about decisions I was making at the time about being a Mom. Always very focused on doing what feels right to you and always giving very "loving" advice. I'm not surprised he would write a book that is focused on YOU and how to love yourself by taking the best care of yourself that you can. The first part of the book is very info ...more
Mar 07, 2010 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking to enjoy a long full life
I won this book in a Goodreads first reads giveaway. It's a wonderful guide for overall health, even advising the best ways to UNDO damages done over the years. There are no fads here. It is written by a doctor who admits his bad habits contributed to his wake-up call with cancer and how he researched and researched and turned his health around. It's about feeling better and living better and covers nutrition, exercise, stress, sleep and fun. Some of the lengthy explanations can be dry but this ...more
Heather
I just won this on FirstReads. I can't wait to feel younger and live longer!

January 2010 - Thus far I am really enjoying this book. Everything is explained so simply and clearly. I like the appreciate the mixture of personal story with scientific data. While he claims the book is for Prime Timers (those 40+) I feel like everyone would benefit from living a healthier life - then we wouldn't need to fix anything.

I haven't found any advice that I think is weird or dangerous yet. I'm very excited to
Charissa
I won a copy of this book from Good Reads and I'm so glad I did... The book was written with seniors in mind, but I found it to be great information for adults of ALL ages. Dr.Sears goes through the body system by system with a discussion of what it needs, how it is affected by mal-treatment, and how best to keep it running smoothly. He then has chapters about important topics such as nutrition, lowering high blood pressure and cholesterol, and cutting the risk of cancer. What's more, the inform ...more
Elizabeth Theiss
We won this book at a Parkinson's disease conference and read it doggedly a few pages at a time over six months or so, despite the genre (which I normally avoid). The theme is what middle-agers should do to take care of themselves with minimal resort to medical science, interesting in light of the fact that it is written by an MD and his nurse wife. Ah, but he is an iconoclastic MD and just a bit superior to the rest of them. If you've never read much about health and you can stand Dr. Sears, th ...more
Bridget
Now is the time to start paying more attention to your health. What better way to take charge than to get the advice of a medical doctor? Dr. Sears has come up with a program that covers you from head to toe and will help you live healthier and longer. Making a few simple changes can improve your quality of life as well as it's length.

I found this book to be very informative. There were times I had to put it down for a little bit because there was so much information to process.
Dr. Sears' book is a absolute must have for any household where a person wants to be healthier and more fit as well as understand how foods, activities, etc., affect one's health. Based on a life-time of experience and an extensive 12-year study, this book covers it all. If one is looking for a quick weight loss guide or a fad diet book, this is not for you. If one wants a manual to the human body, helpful tips and tools, then this is indeed the book for you!
Kayla2003rr
Prime-Time Health was extremely informative and useful. I found the majority of the contents invaluable for preserving our health and livelyhood. I loved that Dr. Sears added little personal touches throughout the book about his own family and experiences. This book was not like reading your usual boring medical book. It was very interesting and really held my attention.
Christine
Phenomenal book! This is such an invaluable resource. Dr. Sears breaks down healthy living in such simple terms. After reading this book I really do feel as though I have control over my own health. In fact, I started implementing his program and I'm feeling great! I can't recommend this book enough. It's a must read.
Sheila
I received a copy of this through Goodreads First Reads. I always loved Dr. Sears Baby Book, and now it is great that Dr. Sears has written a book of health advice for adults. Lots of practical and useful information in here. And definately a book to keep on your shelf to reference (just like I always did with the baby book).
Nicholas
Interesting and a good way to see how to keep your body healthy as you get older. Wasn't totally for my age group but it gave me plenty to think about how I lead my life. Would recommend to anyone in the 'Prime-Time' target audience. Hits on what I think is a key problem in this country, taking care of ourselves.
Alicia
I won this through first reads. I have a whole list of books I am reading at the moment so I haven't had time to read it but I let my mom borrow it and she really likes it. She keeps quoting portions of it to me. Hopefully I have time to read it soon, sounds really good.
Pulled together all the things I know I should be doing into one well-organized book. For the past month or so I have been eating the way Dr. Sears recommends and I am losing weight without counting calories or points or anything and I am feeling a heck of a lot better.
Denise Sanchez
Overall it is a good book however I feel it is very basic. I don't like some of his terminology. Ex: swelling: a sign that all of the army has arrived at the site of the injury. Also he refers to plaque as "sticky stuff." We are adults and should be treated as such.
Susan
Nothing new under the sun in this book, but everything is clearly explained, altho perhaps repeated a bit too often. A good basic reference book and one to motivate you to take better care of yourself no matter what your age.
JoAnn
My first ever win of first reads!!!
this book is good- has lots of interesting facts, and is written in a commical way. It is really meant for older people but would be good info for any age.

Melissa
Won this on first reads. This is a very good book. It is definately a great one to keep at hand. I will be making use of the knowledge in it and will keep it around to consult as the need be.
Robert Edmondson
Great information on improving and maintaining health for anyone especially we so called "seniors".
Mike
Great book for those over 40 and wanting to start or improve on a healthy lifestyle.
Dawn K.
Dec 15, 2009 Dawn K. marked it as to-read
Just won this book through a First-reads giveaway! Looking foward to its arrival.
Gina
Dec 21, 2009 Gina added it
Shelves: first-reads
Just won through first reads.... looking forward to reading it!
Cynthia
Very good health primer; easy to read and understand.
Shellycabada
Great book. Does not preach, motivates to better health.
Cheray Arias-salas
Cheray Arias-salas marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dr. Sears, or Dr. Bill as his "little patients" call him, is the father of eight children as well as the author of over 30 books on childcare. Dr. Bill is an Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine. Dr. Bill received his pediatric training at Harvard Medical School's Children's Hospital in Boston and The Hospital for Sick Children in T ...more
More about William Sears...
The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two The Attachment Parenting Book: A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby The Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth The Discipline Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Better-Behaved Child From Birth to Age Ten The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning