Start by marking “Leap of Faith” as Want to Read:
Leap of Faith

Leap of Faith

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  4,006 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
In her fifty-second bestselling novel, Danielle Steel weaves a compelling story of the power of lies, the misuse of trust — and of one woman's triumph over a devastating betrayal.

Marie-Ange Hawkins has the kind of childhood that most people dream of. Freedom, love, security in a beautiful old French château. But when Marie-Ange is just eleven, a tragic accident marks the e
Published February 25th 2009 by Dell (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Leap of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leap of Faith

Ashley Daviau
Feb 04, 2017 Ashley Daviau rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was entirely too predictable and almost bored me to tears. I had guessed 90% of the storyline about 20 pages into the book. The main character was incredibly dull and really quite stupid to be honest! The only reason I managed to finish the book is because it was relatively fast paced so I just gritted my teeth and sped through it.
Sidra
Aug 17, 2011 Sidra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up the book last night, and just continued to read it till 3pm today. It was okay. The best thing about the book was the fast pace. I did not enjoy the static characters. I did not enjoy her repetition. I dislike the way Steel kept repeating most of the sentences.

Example, page 122:

"She loved the way he worried about her, and wanted to protect her ... she loved the protection he offered, his obvious concern. She was totally in love with him."

Really? I mean come one. I felt like I had som
Hannah
Feb 25, 2017 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book came with a very sudden plot twist and I liked how the author put the story together. There was a lesson to be learned which was basically don't trust strangers even if you think they're okay. However, the book was repetitive and it was in a rush so it wasn't described that well. Overall, it was a book that I enjoyed reading in my freetime.
Jen Marx
If 2.5 stars were an option, I would have given this book that score. I did feel some sort of investment in the characters; however, it was very predictable. The tale was also rather anti-climactic. The woman has just thrown her two children into a net and has seen that they were fine. Despite the fact that she was scared, I do think that "leap of faith" is a bit of an overstatement. The ending did not seem to fit well with this very predictable tale. I was hoping to see a light at the end of th ...more
Joshua
This broke the usual Danielle Steel formula in a few ways. One being the protagonist is a young child when the story begins, another was the western setting and just the plot as a whole was different from the typical Steel blueprint. I almost wish this was longer, it sometimes felt like I was reading a synopsis or a book report instead of being absorbed in the story.
I won't even get into the improbable parts, or about how hard I laughed when (view spoiler)
Cait S
May 22, 2015 Cait S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was too short to matter. I feel like it could have been a decent story if it was about 200 pages longer. As it is, there just wasn't enough time. A story spanning almost 15 years and two countries just cannot be told sufficiently, for me, in that short of time. None of the characters were fully fleshed out. None of the emotional stuff made an impact because there was no build up.

The entire thing fell totally flat for me.
Sapphire Butt
Mar 16, 2013 Sapphire Butt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i cried alot and loved it in so many ways ... its really hard to accept that someone u love so much has betrayed you i can really relate to that bt as marie-ange never lost faith so wont I. Im going through a very difficult time and it helped me somehow...
brilliantly written ! looking forward to read more of ur work !
Suzanne
Aug 15, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember this one! Horrible elderly aunt in the country, treating her niece terribly. A kind of Cinderella comes good story. Liked it a lot.
Amy
Jul 07, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read books that have forever piqued my curiosity since I was kid: I would see these books line the shelves at the library, on and on. These authors still are bestsellers and incredibly productive. Thus, a little fun project that both entertained and surprised me. I selected these authors based on recollections of my hometown library back then, so it's not necessarily all-encompassing. Here is part four of four!

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4

---

I honestly didn't know what to expect
Danielle Schryver
Ive had this book on my bookshelf for several years now. It was actually given to me by a woman in the waiting room for the OR when both our husbands were having surgery. She had finished it while waiting and passed it on to me. :)

I have never read a Danielle Steele book before. I have stayed away from them, as I had the impression of "fluffy romance". My grandmother used to love her!

So I picked this up 2 nights ago. It was a very quick read and I did enjoy it. However, I found it very, very pre
Anna
Jul 15, 2016 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a 3.5.
The story is predictable. I cannot say that the author has justified the title of the book. I was expecting something else. Overall, it's an "okay" read. Not something I would recommend, unless you just need something to kill time.

Also, this is my second read book by Danielle Steele and I am wondering if it is typical that her protagonists never end up marrying the most obvious choice??
Marilyn Lagier
Oct 07, 2010 Marilyn Lagier rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK--I like a Danielle Steel when there's some substance to the book; this one must have been written solely for the purpose of buying her some new jewelry or something. It's awful--read it in one hour. She just cranked this one out with her standard formula--sweet girl, bad things happen, then good things happen, the end.
Katrina Perolino
Oct 20, 2011 Katrina Perolino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a big fan of Danielle Steel, but I must say that this book touched me so much. I liked how tragedy was presented, how the lead character became the usual Cinderella, and of course, the gasp-inducing twist at the end. Give this book a spin if you want to read Danielle Steel without fluffiness and 'munchness'. :)
Redfox5
May 12, 2015 Redfox5 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction, usa, france
This feels like Steel did half a job, she knew she had to churn one out so she knocked it up quickly to keep the masses happy. I didn't hate this book but it's not that interesting. It didn't feel like we got to know any of the main charcters that well and the ending was rushed. Still it was alright and she doesn't bother to repeat anything.
♡ Wildflower ♡
Must be one of her worst books because it was very poorly written, not in the least absorbing and so utterly generic
Wendy
Sep 09, 2010 Wendy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
aaaaaaaaaaaawful. I've never read Danielle Steel before, and if this is any way representative, I never shall again.
Jean
Aug 11, 2012 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and a good story. Quick read
Sherry
Aug 23, 2010 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very good book!!! one of her best
Éride
Dec 28, 2016 Éride rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Reseña de ACTO DE FE
Acto de fe es una novela romántica escrita por Danielle Steel en el año 2001. Cuenta con un total de 186 páginas.
Marie-Ange es una niña que vive con sus padres en un precioso castillo francés. Una desgraciada tarde, sus padres y su hermano mueren en un accidente, y ella se ve obligada a viajar hasta Iowa para vivir con su tía soltera, una vieja amargada y cruel que la obliga a trabajar para ella esclavizada en su deprimente granja.
Por suerte, gracias a Billy, tendrá la oport
Yongqing
Nov 30, 2013 Yongqing rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so bad, I'm actually feeling outraged. I took it on - well, faith (Hey! I can see why they chose the title right there!)- that a book this popular cannot possibly be so immature. I understand that for books in this genre, we've got to expect some pretty clear author-bias towards the main characters. That's okay, sometimes we just want a brainless bit of wish-fulfillment fluff where the heroine triumphs despite a tragic backstory and assorted villainy, and wins True Wuv.

But you act
Lucy Angela
Oct 13, 2013 Lucy Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew in an instant when I impulsively picked up this book , that I'd like this much. I meant it's about memorizing your house in the past. because I did that too..

my childhood house which was many miles away from where I lived now nor my life that I belong now.

also the moral value that packed in this story. I finished it in 3 hrs. a thin one yet full of sth to learn.

who do you choose? a country boy like Billy, honest and caring or Comte Bernard who was polished, attractive yet greedy and sel
Kristen
Apr 18, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
In Danielle Steel's Leap of Faith, she told us a disturbing dark tale of possessive love and breaking free from France to the United States. For Marie-Ange Hawkins, she lived an idyllic and free live in Paris, France, at a chateau. At the age of 11, she lost her parents and became orphaned and alone, and later sent to America to live with her uncaring great-aunt in Iowa. Bitter and resented from her, she was forced to work on her farm and dreamed of returning back to France. That's when she befr ...more
Ale Rivero
May 28, 2012 Ale Rivero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reseña de Acto de Fe en el blog

Danielle Steel nos presenta una historia un tanto dramática, que aúna amor y tragedia bajo la vida de su personaje principal, Marie-Ange Hawkins.

Es una novela corta que presenta en su mayor parte la vida de Marie-Ange desde la muerte de sus padres y su hermano, viviendo en Iowa junto a su tía abuela y compartiendo sus anhelos y frustraciones junto a su amigo Billy.

Intempestivamente, la llegada de un abogado anunciándole su nueva situación económica cambia todo, y p
Amélie
Well that was... not great ? I was curious about Danielle Steel since she seems so popular, and I wanted something to read quickly to advance my Goodreads challenge, so I picked up the smallest book of hers that I had, maybe it's just not the best ? I don't know.

The thing is, for some reason I was expecting a romance so that kind of confused me. In the end it's more of a "contemporary story with a romantic element", or something like that. Though when I say "contemporary"... it's quite hard to p
Addie Calvitt
Julie Barrett
Jul 26, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leap of Faith by Danielle Steel
Marie Onge has lost her parents and brother on their way to Paris to drop him off at school.
The old nanny was too old to care for her so they sent her to Iowa to live with her great aunt where she was a slave to the woman in a wheelchair.
She met Tom who was the foreman and he helped her from time to time.
She meets a boy in school who she teaches French to and he teaches her to write in the English way.
After the years and she is now 21 and he had given her a car to
Lindsey
Apr 14, 2013 Lindsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults trying to learn English
Gah, Danielle Steel is one of the worst authors I've ever read. She basically writes children's books with adult subjects. The writing is probably less than a fifth grade level.

"She felt scared and alone. She felt lonely." That's an example of some of the repetitious writing you'll find in her books.

I gave this two stars because "it was OK." It entertained me, and I sympathized with the main character, but no more Danielle Steel for me. I like fluffy reads, but her writing is beyond fluff. I alr
jenna nims
Apr 02, 2008 jenna nims rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: FLUFFERS
first off - this book was for an assignment - read any romance novel - so i did
ok - this book was written so simply and the words/ideas were so repetitive that it was super easy to read and if i had not known better would have thought it belonged in the juvenile fiction section (minus a few paragraphs)
There were some heavy subjects dealt with in a fluffy way and nothing was written about in depth - it was very vague and generic - very stereotypical, but yet I did finish it but kind of threw it a
Car
Nov 14, 2007 Car rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so sad when a young child loses its parents and is left to people who don't care about him or her. Poor Marie-Ange was one such child who had a family who adored her. Then, when she lost her parents and her brother in one tragic car accident, she was left in the care of her great-aunt who was a horrible witch. Not a real witch, mind you, but a totally uncaring person. Marie-Ange was lucky to develop a wonderful relationship with Billy, although that's not likely to be the case in real life ...more
Yalinda Carames
Es una obra muy emotiva, la cual me recordó un poco a la vida secreta de las abejas, de Sue Monk Kidd, una de mis historias favoritas.

En esta novela Danielle trata de mostrarnos todos los sentimientos que una persona puede llegar a sentir, el amor, el dolor, el sufrimiento, las alegrías, las decepciones, los sueños, las ilusiones y mucho mas. Pero en muchas ocasiones las cosas no son lo que parecen ser y lamentablemente las mentiras y el engaño tienden a seducirnos, pero si mantenemos nuestra F
Danielle Steel Bo...: Leap of Faith 1 4 Nov 20, 2012 08:51PM
Is "life" ever fair? 3 12 Jan 05, 2012 08:00AM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Danielle Steel
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Make Your Move (Harlequin Blaze, #542)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Millionaire's Rebellious Mistress
  • Big Sky Standoff
  • Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper  (At His Service, #1)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do/Calling the Shots/Baring It All
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Heart of Gold (Rainbow Chasers #1)
  • Million-Dollar Marriage Merger (Napa Valley Vows, #1)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • The Secret Spanish Love Child (Modern Romance)
  • Whitehorse
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...