Promise

Promise

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  7,656 ratings  ·  265 reviews
Young architect Michael Hillyard and artist Nancy McAllister are determined to get married despite his wealthy mother's disapproval. Then, minutes beforetheir wedding, a terrifying accident and a cruel deception separate Michael and Nancy -- perhaps forever. Each pursues a new life -- Nancy in California, Michael inNew York. But eventually nothing -- and no one -- can keep...more
Published February 24th 2009 by Dell Publishing (first published January 1st 1978)

Pam
Published in 1978 and my 1st DS book. Re-read and still enjoyed it. "the early morning sun streamed across their backs as they unhooked their bicycles in front of Eliot House on the Harvard campus."

Nancy, an aspiring artist and orphan, and Michael, from a wealthy background, promise to love each other always. Nancy is not who Michael's mother would choose for her son & expresses her distaste and disapproval for this relationship. Michael, has always been the dutiful son to his widowed mother...more
Laura Da Rosa
In the book the Promise by Danielle Steel we are taught many life lessons, we learn that no mater what incidents happen in life it goes on and eventually you'll get through it, your taught that if you care about something or someone enough the love will never fade away. The main characters in the book Nancy and Michael are young and madly in love with each other, Michael's mother though is not a fan of Nancy and doesn't approve of her as Michael's girlfriend or wife.
Late one night they decide t...more
Julie Barrett
The Promise by Danielle Steel
Michael Hillard and Nancy MacAllister are to be wed but the car accident prior to the wedding
leaves others to wonder if they will keep their vow. He is an architect and she is an artist.
His wealthy mother disapproves though...They will be separated but will it keep them apart?
He is appalled that his mother have a private eye find out about Nancy's past=like it was her fault who her parents turned out to be.
On their way to get married the car crashes and he's unconsci...more
Lenny Husen
Very romantic story. I first read it at age 15 and really loved it, read it again as an adult and thought it was silly. Why wouldn't he want to look for her grave? But okay, allowing for that, and how easily the main characters get everything they want or think they want, this is a fun little romance. Danielle Steel is a dreadful writer but this book is OK, if you have to read one by her this is the least nauseating. I think she had help with this one, at least I read that that was the case.
Yoomii S. El-Din
Gotta admit that at the beginning I did not like this novel much ,but as I kept on reading it just caught me with the specific details and the dramatic changes that happens to almost every character in this novel .Danielle Steel sure is a great and talented writer to write such a fascinating novel ,this was my first book to read by Danielle Steel but it sure is not going to be the last.
Kathaileen
A poor girl marries a rich boy and is unacceptable to her new mother-in-law. When she is in a car accident and terribly disfigured, her mother-in-law pays for her reconstructive surgery on the condition that she will disappear from her son's life. This was a TV movie (and Ms Steele wrote the books afterwards) with Kathleen Quinlan and Steven Collins.
Purvika
o my god seriously this was my first book ever... the story the lines it was just o my god have no words .... just hooked my with love stories for ever .... i still carry the paperback copy of this bold its even smells old but when ever i look at it i remember the days i kept think abt this book ... :)
Fran
The last time I read this was a decade ago and that was before my paperback copy was never returned to me. Luckily, I found an e-book. Thank you techy gods!

I think I decided to re-read this because I was curious to know whether or not the twentysomething me would still love it. I was only a high school sophomore then so what the heck did I know about "good" books anyway. At first, I thought it would maybe be like watching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie and then realizing how it totally...more
Wind Girl
یه داستان عامه پسند میخواستم بهش امتیاز دو بدم اما سه دادم چون داستان روونی بود. به نظرم دانیل استیل جزو نویسنده هایی هست که ادبیات پاورقی آمریکا رو تشکیل میده.جالب بود که ببینم ادبیات پاورقی آمریکا چجوریه.
از اول داستان میشد آخر داستان رو حدس زد.یه داستان عشقی که با اینکه میدونی آخرش چی میشه دوست داری به خاطر لذت بردن از لحظات لطیفش به خوندن ادامه بدی چون تو واقعیت کمتر پیش میاد اونا رو لمس کنی و یه فضای فانتزی برات به وجود میاد تا بتونی از اون حس ها سرخوش بشی.
شاید یکی دو کتاب دیگه از دانیل استی...more
Lexi
The Promise
Author: Danielle Steel

Michael Hillyard and Nancy McAllister are madly in love. Michael met Nancy at a Boston Gallery where her work was being shown. She is an artist and he is a famous architect. He asked her out and fell madly in love with her. Nancy wasn't too quick to jump into a serious relationship. Her mother had left her as a young child in an orphanage. She just abandoned her. Nancy had not really healed from it. She doesn't want to trust or love anyone. Michael kept asking he...more
Becky Frost
Ok....those first four chapters of the book had some of the worst dialogue I have ever read in a book for adults. The first chapter is supposed to be filled with the dialogue of someone who just got an advanced degree from Harvard and yet the conversations sounds like Middle School kids:

"I love you."
"I love you more."
"I love you even more."

Holy crap I kept waiting for someone to take it to infinity.

Then, the dialogue in chapter four had me wanting to put forks in my eyes. But an amazing thing ha...more
thegift
read this many, many years past. another book from a girlfriend, convinced that despite my sardonic attitude, beat the heart of a true romantic in my desolate, desperate, desiring soul. as in, everything would be better if he just had/has a girlfriend. she also told me not to skip, not to read the ending first, suffer her prose for a beautiful ending. do follow her advice. think this is actually a novelization of a tv screenplay, so do not expect great writing. worked when read it, though no wis...more
Stella
First book I ever read because I was bored. I was grounded in high school and I stayed up all night to finish it. It was great! I went on to read Danielle Steel for several years. I loved the way she described the women in the stories and the places they went and where they lived. Just beautitul!
Sheila
This is the very first book I read by this author and fell in love with her style of writing as I could 'picture' the story unfolding in my mind. Years later I saw the movie and although it was good I could honestly say that the book was so much better and I have been reading her books ever since.
Adam Davis
My wife and I both had our seventh grade teacher read this book to us. Years later, I was in a band with the authors son for a few weeks before he was kicked out for drug use. Oh yea, the book... It was pretty awful.
S.K. Logsdon
I love this book. It is my favorite by Danielle Steel -- I have read about half of her books and I thought this one touched my heart the most in the most unexpected way. I loved it!
Charleybrown
This was my first favourite book back when I was 14. I've long since tired of Steel's repetitive plots but this one remains a sentimental favourite.
Caitlin Blechschmidt
THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!! I READ IT IN ONE DAY I COULDNT PUT IT DOWN!!!! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BOX OF TISSUES!!!
ThePersonNextToYou
Read this years ago and liked it.
Jo Guasque
Okaay. Not that good but not very bad either.:) I like the plot but as we all know, it is very common. I like Micheal a lot. I mean who doesn't? He's perfect. He loves his woman very much and Nancy is very lucky to have someone as good as Micheal. They're love for each other really amazes me.:) Ben Avery is funny by the way.:) And did I mention that Peter is very ideal? He may be old but he is definitely HOT.:) At first, I thought Marion was pure evil. But I guess I have to give fair judgement f...more
Sarae
Late one night they decide t...more
Marielle ♥ dominus ♥
YOU TOTALLY NAILED IT. :DD hahahaha

This is one of the best romance books I've read. It has a great twist and I admire the girl for being talented. Danielle Steel is FREAKING AWESOME and writing this one.

Here's the story:
They're lovers. He's rich, she's poor, angry mother. (The common.) Then, they runaway to get married but unfortunately, they got into a car accident and the girl's face is RUINED. Like all gone. Yiieehhh!!

His mother offered a deal to her that she will fixed her face if she leave...more
Books&Dreams
This book is amazing !!!
I read this when I was really YOUNG ! 15 years ago. I fell in love with this story and the strong characters. I have to say this is one of the first books that I picked up when I became a reader. And this book touched my heart in a big way. It made me cry and laugh. And it is why I fell in love with reading. Thank you Danielle for an amazing book that I am going to go and try to find and reread!! <3
Mary.agnes2600yahoo.com
I so loved this book. It was the first Steel book that I have read. Ms. Steel stirred my emotions, I felt what the characters felt, esp. the heroine; it was as if I was part of their story. And to me, this makes for good reading. I even watched the movie. To this day, it is still one of my favorite books.
Dona L Barry
Always very intriguing and brings tears to my eyes!! I always give the books to my mother in law as roses are the only books we read! Keep up the great work Danielle Steele!!

I loved this one as I have all of the ones I've read! Keep writing the best boos ever! and I will keep reading!
It's the first book I read at age 15, loved it, loved the story. Left home and moved into my flat, went to book shop and bought it. Have re read it, and still very enjoyable. One of 2 books I won't part with. Lovely read.
Chay
Such a talented lovely story it was filled with wonderful emotions and i can't help but, say that it played out like a movie. Though, i skipped a few pages out of boredom and impatience but, other then that it was pretty fine. ;)
Patricia Newman
Wonderful

Wonderful

what a wonderful story. This just goes to show that a true love can survive anything. not time, or anyone can destroy what is meant to be.
Nazh
It was a good story! but it took forever for the two main characters to get together again, and when they did it felt rushed like the writer just wanted to story to end. after reading this book i was like "that's a great story! . . . but that's it? That's how they're going to be reuniting? after a few words everything is back to how it was before?" like the whole two years of them separated didn't really matter. . . booo! i wanted more words between the nancy and michael. you'd think they'd have...more
What's The Name o...: unknown drama romance novel [s] 6 55 Feb 06, 2014 07:02AM
Danielle Steel Bo...: The Promise 1 3 Nov 20, 2012 03:10AM
A nice book 7 44 Aug 28, 2012 12:16PM
  • Rock My World (The Wrong Bed) (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Patrick's Destiny (The Devaneys #4)
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • I'll Take Manhattan
  • To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3)
  • Heart of Gold (Loveswept, No 393; Rainbow Chasers, #1)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • The Manning Grooms (Those Manning Men, #3-4)
  • Frontier Courtship
  • The Player
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Family Blessings
  • Inheritance
  • Hot for Him (Harlequin Blaze, #326)
  • Gold Ring of Betrayal
  • The Rule of Four
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters The Gift Kaleidoscope Fine Things