Start by marking “Promise” as Want to Read:
Promise

Promise

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,881 Ratings  ·  332 Reviews
Young architect Michael Hillyard and artist Nancy McAllister are determined to get married despite his wealthy mother's disapproval. Then, minutes beforetheir wedding, a terrifying accident and a cruel deception separate Michael and Nancy -- perhaps forever. Each pursues a new life -- Nancy in California, Michael inNew York. But eventually nothing -- and no one -- can keep ...more
Published February 24th 2009 by Dell Publishing (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise

Pam
Jun 20, 2010 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Published in 1978 and my 1st DS book. Re-read and still enjoyed it. "the early morning sun streamed across their backs as they unhooked their bicycles in front of Eliot House on the Harvard campus."

Nancy, an aspiring artist and orphan, and Michael, from a wealthy background, promise to love each other always. Nancy is not who Michael's mother would choose for her son & expresses her distaste and disapproval for this relationship. Michael, has always been the dutiful son to his widowed mother
Laura Da Rosa
Jan 25, 2013 Laura Da Rosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book the Promise by Danielle Steel we are taught many life lessons, we learn that no mater what incidents happen in life it goes on and eventually you'll get through it, your taught that if you care about something or someone enough the love will never fade away. The main characters in the book Nancy and Michael are young and madly in love with each other, Michael's mother though is not a fan of Nancy and doesn't approve of her as Michael's girlfriend or wife.
Late one night they decide t
Youmna S. El-Din
Gotta admit that at the beginning I did not like this novel much ,but as I kept on reading it just caught me with the specific details and the dramatic changes that happens to almost every character in this novel .Danielle Steel sure is a great and talented writer to write such a fascinating novel ,this was my first book to read by Danielle Steel but it sure is not going to be the last.
Julie Barrett
Aug 08, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Promise by Danielle Steel
Michael Hillard and Nancy MacAllister are to be wed but the car accident prior to the wedding
leaves others to wonder if they will keep their vow. He is an architect and she is an artist.
His wealthy mother disapproves though...They will be separated but will it keep them apart?
He is appalled that his mother have a private eye find out about Nancy's past=like it was her fault who her parents turned out to be.
On their way to get married the car crashes and he's unconsci
Mary
Jan 03, 2010 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute trite.
Fran
The last time I read this was a decade ago and that was before my paperback copy was never returned to me. Luckily, I found an e-book. Thank you techy gods!

I think I decided to re-read this because I was curious to know whether or not the twentysomething me would still love it. I was only a high school sophomore then so what the heck did I know about "good" books anyway. At first, I thought it would maybe be like watching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie and then realizing how it totally
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Promise, Danielle Steel
عنوان: پیمان، نویسنده: دانیل استیل؛ برگردان: فریده بیگدلی، چاپ پنجم، 1372، انتشارات کلینی، 356 ص
کتاب با عنوانهای: «پیوند»؛ و «بر بالهای عشق»؛ نیز منتشر شده است
نویسنده: بانو «دانیله فرناندز شوئلین دومینک استیل»، که در ایران و سایر کشورهای جهان به اختصار و به اشتباه ایشان را «دانیل استیل» میخوانند، ملکه داستان نویسی رمانتیک آمریکا و خالق «مکس و مارتا» و بیش از یکصد رمان هستند. ادبیات همگانی از ابزارهای گوناگونی استفاده میکند، همچون ایجاد شوق در جوانان، پندهای اخلاقی، نث
Lenny Husen
Very romantic story. I first read it at age 15 and really loved it, read it again as an adult and thought it was silly. Why wouldn't he want to look for her grave? But okay, allowing for that, and how easily the main characters get everything they want or think they want, this is a fun little romance. Danielle Steel is a dreadful writer but this book is OK, if you have to read one by her this is the least nauseating. I think she had help with this one, at least I read that that was the case.
Kathy
Aug 28, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-novels
A poor girl marries a rich boy and is unacceptable to her new mother-in-law. When she is in a car accident and terribly disfigured, her mother-in-law pays for her reconstructive surgery on the condition that she will disappear from her son's life. This was a TV movie (and Ms Steele wrote the books afterwards) with Kathleen Quinlan and Steven Collins.
Purvika
o my god seriously this was my first book ever... the story the lines it was just o my god have no words .... just hooked my with love stories for ever .... i still carry the paperback copy of this bold its even smells old but when ever i look at it i remember the days i kept think abt this book ... :)
Stella
First book I ever read because I was bored. I was grounded in high school and I stayed up all night to finish it. It was great! I went on to read Danielle Steel for several years. I loved the way she described the women in the stories and the places they went and where they lived. Just beautitul!
Sheila
Feb 18, 2010 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the very first book I read by this author and fell in love with her style of writing as I could 'picture' the story unfolding in my mind. Years later I saw the movie and although it was good I could honestly say that the book was so much better and I have been reading her books ever since.
Isis Ray-sisco
This was a reread for me. I enjoyed it as much as I did the fist time years ago. I love DS books and I am glad I agreed to do this for a buddy read.
Nick Stewart
Jun 03, 2016 Nick Stewart rated it liked it
I'm always amazed at the lengths snooty matriarchs will go to, just to keep poor, deserving girls from marrying their sons.
Caitlin Blechschmidt
THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!! I READ IT IN ONE DAY I COULDNT PUT IT DOWN!!!! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BOX OF TISSUES!!!
Michelle Kurkowski Pagels
Jan 05, 2015 Michelle Kurkowski Pagels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was the book that made my mom love to read. It is classic Danielle Steel. Loved it.
Lexi
May 28, 2014 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Promise
Author: Danielle Steel

Michael Hillyard and Nancy McAllister are madly in love. Michael met Nancy at a Boston Gallery where her work was being shown. She is an artist and he is a famous architect. He asked her out and fell madly in love with her. Nancy wasn't too quick to jump into a serious relationship. Her mother had left her as a young child in an orphanage. She just abandoned her. Nancy had not really healed from it. She doesn't want to trust or love anyone. Michael kept asking he
Becky Frost
Ok....those first four chapters of the book had some of the worst dialogue I have ever read in a book for adults. The first chapter is supposed to be filled with the dialogue of someone who just got an advanced degree from Harvard and yet the conversations sounds like Middle School kids:

"I love you."
"I love you more."
"I love you even more."

Holy crap I kept waiting for someone to take it to infinity.

Then, the dialogue in chapter four had me wanting to put forks in my eyes. But an amazing thing ha
Jennifer Margeson
Mar 25, 2016 Jennifer Margeson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I realized I FAR prefer Danielle Steel novels from decades past. Except for the mention of a dictaphone, the novel was timeless and I enjoyed finishing a quick re-read!
Arezu Wishka
یه داستان عامه پسند میخواستم بهش امتیاز دو بدم اما سه دادم چون داستان روونی بود. به نظرم دانیل استیل جزو نویسنده هایی هست که ادبیات پاورقی آمریکا رو تشکیل میده.جالب بود که ببینم ادبیات پاورقی آمریکا چجوریه.
از اول داستان میشد آخر داستان رو حدس زد.یه داستان عشقی که با اینکه میدونی آخرش چی میشه دوست داری به خاطر لذت بردن از لحظات لطیفش به خوندن ادامه بدی چون تو واقعیت کمتر پیش میاد اونا رو لمس کنی و یه فضای فانتزی برات به وجود میاد تا بتونی از اون حس ها سرخوش بشی.
شاید یکی دو کتاب دیگه از دانیل استی
Anupama Ma
a) I’m too old for this kind of drivel

b) This wasn’t drivel when it was written back in 1978

c) I’m too hardhearted and cynical to understand Love

Chances are that the right answer might be option c.

After the thundercloud of This Divided Island, I wanted some cotton candy fluffy clouds. The Promise was one of those books that Chitrakka made be get for her from V K Library. It was the rage back then. Longlongago. I think I even tried to read it as a teenager, I do have vague memories of some beads
Holly
Sep 10, 2014 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an older book by this author and my very first!
It pulled me right in, and was hard to put down...
Danielle Steel is a very accomplished writer.
Her style moves right along, and has plenty of action, plot, and dialog.
I was swept into this compelling tale with anticipation of a huge climax. It never came.
The last page gave us two paragraphs of resolution. What?
I realized at the end that most of the angst was spent with the two major love interests
being apart and miserable. In fact, most o
Wendie
Jan 01, 2015 Wendie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I remember this story from reading it in HS. It has not aged well. It's a completely unbelievable storyline. Michael is wealthy and destined to take over his family company. Nancy is the love of his life, but an orphan with no position in the world. She's an artist and a painter. They make a promise the day before they are wed to never say good-bye, and then a car crash ends it all. Michael's evil mother makes a deal with Nancy- she'll pay for the 300K facial reconstruction as long as she never ...more
Mona Belle
Jun 09, 2016 Mona Belle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Among all the books that I have read, The Promise remains my favorite book.

I first read it when I was in college. At that time, I read it twice. And both times, I cried. I thought that after reading it once, the empathy I had with Nancy would diminish. But when I read it the second time, I still cried as much as I did the first time I read it.

I read it multiple times more before I finally watched the movie. But I felt a lot of the emotions were somehow lost in the movie. Reading the book is so m
the gift
read this many, many years past. another book from a girlfriend, convinced that despite my sardonic attitude, beat the heart of a true romantic in my desolate, desperate, desiring soul. as in, everything would be better if he just had/has a girlfriend. she also told me not to skip, not to read the ending first, suffer her prose for a beautiful ending. do follow her advice. think this is actually a novelization of a tv screenplay, so do not expect great writing. worked when read it, though no wis ...more
Caryn
Mar 11, 2015 Caryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-books
This is one of the most heart-felt versions of the tale of Romeo and Juliet I have ever read. Michael and Nancy's love is true and strong despite Michael's mother's objections they are getting married. The day of the wedding, Nancy is in a horrible car wreak that sends her through the windshield and leaves her without a face. Michael's wealthy mother goes to the hospital to speak to her. His mom proceeds to tell her she will never have a whole life again due to her gruesome appearance. She offer ...more
Lisa Redfern
Dec 06, 2014 Lisa Redfern rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Who knows why some thoughts and memories surface at any particular moment? While doing research for my current novel, I began to reach back into the cloud of vagueness....What was the book that I read in the 80's (as a YA) that tugged at my heart so? Filled with young romance, parental manipulation, heartbreak and at long last a dramatic reunion - the feelings associated with that book have lingered.

I remembered that 'Promise' was in the title...but a title search revealed soooooo many other bo
Adam Davis
Jul 13, 2009 Adam Davis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My wife and I both had our seventh grade teacher read this book to us. Years later, I was in a band with the authors son for a few weeks before he was kicked out for drug use. Oh yea, the book... It was pretty awful.
Chantal Gadoury
Apr 26, 2016 Chantal Gadoury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Danielle Steel book ever. My Mom came to me (since I was sneaking romance novels into my room) and offered me "The Promise." Little did I know what sort of emotional journey I was about to embark on. Now that it's been years since I've read this book, I can't give a clear "review" of the novel, other than to say that I loved it. It was my first taste of Danielle, and I was hooked.
The main character goes through a very traumatic experience, and I can recall the gut-wrenching fe
Kris - My Novelesque Life
1 STARS

"Young architect Michael Hillyard and artist Nancy McAllister are determined to get married despite his wealthy mother's disapproval. Then, minutes before their wedding, a terrifying accident and a cruel deception separate Michael and Nancy -- perhaps forever. Each pursues a new life -- Nancy in California, Michael in New York. But eventually nothing -- and no one -- can keep them apart as they keep their vow never to say good-bye." (From Amazon)

Originally when I read Danielle Steel novel
What's The Name o...: unknown drama romance novel [s] 6 57 Feb 06, 2014 07:02AM
Danielle Steel Bo...: The Promise 1 5 Nov 20, 2012 03:10AM
A nice book 7 46 Aug 28, 2012 12:16PM
  • When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Patrick's Destiny (The Devaneys #4)
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • The Player
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • The Trouble with J.J.
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Hot for Him (Harlequin Blaze, #326)
  • I'll Take Manhattan
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“up and walked slowly to the mirror, and then she stood there with a broad smile, and a narrow river of tears gleaming on her face. He stood behind her, at a good distance. He wanted to leave her alone. This was her moment. “Oh God, Peter, it’s beautiful.” He laughed softly. “Not ‘it’s’ beautiful, silly girl. You’re beautiful. It is you,” 0 likes