Start by marking “The Creek” as Want to Read:
The Creek

The Creek

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  44 reviews
This tense and absorbing thriller by the Newbery Honor author of Our Only May Amelia is now in paperback. Taut, well plotted, and with a smooth arc of suspense.--ALA Booklist (boxed review).
Published June 15th 2004 by HarperTeen (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Creek

Ruhama
Sep 04, 2009 Ruhama rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
The neighborhood is tense and worried: Caleb Devlin is home again. Five years ago he did a heinous crime that the adults won’t talk about, so the kids’ imaginations run wild, and Penny starts to have panic attacks again because of all this. Penny and her brother Teddy are relatively new to the neighborhood, and Penny likes to hang with the guys. Their summer project is to build a summer fort by the creek. But thanks to Caleb being home again, the kids are forbidden to play in the woods or go by ...more
Adam
Hmm! Very interesting novel for sure! Fast paced, good characters, interesting plot, jam-packed, not really a dull moment at all! Plus, it was a suspense novel which is the kind of novel that I really enjoy. It was scary! There were some brief moments in which I was literally feeling a chill! Albeit , a little graphic, and a little unrealistic in terms of the age of the characters that this is all happening to, it was a great suspense that I could easily see turned into a movie. For sure.

At fir
Jenny
Hm.. what to say about this book? Well, it honestly creeped me out. It wasn't really scary, but just.. creepy and odd.

Penny is the main character and she's very adventurous and she's a tomboy, which reminded me of when I was younger. She has 3 main guy friends: Oren, Mac, and Benji. She hangs out with them all the time.. who knows what happened to the girls in the neighborhood? I guess none of the neighbors had any around her age.. except for Amy, but they weren't friends anymore.

But then Caleb
Josie Brown
An addictive book written by one of the best young-adult writers of our generation. Once this book is opened you will cringe at the thought of putting it back down.
This novel is a captivating, thrilling, and heart wrenching book that captures the adventures and trials that are encountered in the tender time of adolescence.
This story is set in a suburban community and focuses on Penny Carson whom is in the process of growing up and learning the dangers and the enjoyment of the real world. She f
Chloe (Girl In The Woods Reviews)
When I read this book, it had a dark, menacing detail to every page. This is a book that will give a heart-pumping, exciting, thrill ride that will make a recurring existence to every piece.
Medeia Sharif
Penny is a tomboy looking forward to the summer, but then evil enters her town. Murdered pets are turning up everywhere and fires blaze. People want to point fingers at Caleb, a troubled teen who is back in town after serving juvie.

I really wanted to love this. It’s creepy, yet the writing isn’t gripping. Also, I was bothered by the plot. Penny is twelve, which means middle grade, yet there are too many disturbing scenes in this novel. Some parts seemed like they were for an older audience.
Jicorey Girton
A 12 year old named Penny Carson is looking forward to the upcoming summer of doing nothing more important than hanging out with friends, which is group of neighborhood boys. Her family has just moved to the suburbs of Philadelphia, and Penny likes exploring the woods and the creek near her home, which is why this book is called the creek. Her parents know that dangers lurk even this rich neighborhood . When household pets start to turn up dead and fires start to destroy their fort, everyone bla ...more
Angela Harris
A true page turner. However, one question is still remains! This will contain spoilers- sorry! But when they are in the attic at the end, why does Benji say his sister was at dinner last night?! Hiw could that be!? For one brief moment I thought they were going to twist it so it was all in the little girl's mind! Talk about a twist! But that didn't happen! So now I am left wondering why Benji said that? Any help!?
I wanted to like this one, and I did for the most part. However, even though the main characters are children I still found myself getting upset with their behavior and decisions. I didn't like how the end played out and I was able to guess the ending too soon. What started out as a coming of age murder mystery wound up being a big let down starring some dumb parents not listening to their misbehaving children.
Nora
Lorry Chwazik
While this tale was creepy and intriguing, and the subplot of the main character changing from child to adolescent added depth, I was frustrated by the lack of disclosure on the part of the neighborhood kids. Just tell your parents, already! Still, a good choice for younger horror fans....
Sk
I read this book when I was a kid and I'll never forget how gross it made me feel inside and I was glued to it until the end, it gave me such a sickly feeling but I couldn't put it down, it is a well written book with creepy, eerie and downright disturbing content, but I enjoyed every bit of it!
James Hargest Library
There was a boy, who is a legend after terrorizing an entire town before Penny and her family moved there. Now he’s back, older but more dangerous. Since his return, terrible things have started to occur again. While the police ignore the complaints of the citizens who know he’s to blame, a group of friends try to stay calm and find proof that it’s him. The only problem…… he’s after them too.
The creek is a suspense thriller book. I couldn’t wait to read this book as many of my mates had convinc
Ashley Meihls
This book gave me chills. Which is a really good sign because books ususally never actually manage to scare me. But this one, especially reading it before bed, makes shadows more sinister.
I thought the narration was really well done. If (and I know I'm going to sound arrogant and rude when I say this, but I'm not meaning to) I had written something like this, I would not have picked this age range. But, after finishing the book I really couldn't think of a better age to have this book written
Ben King
Aabani Carr
The Creek by Jennifer L. Holm was a interesting book. In the book there is a girl named Penny Carson, she doesn't know what she wants to do. Caleb is a boy in her neighborhood who is known for problems and destruction. Penny sees Caleb and starts to have hallucinations and she starts acting paranoid. This book is really not as good as it could be. It takes forever until anything really interesting happens. This book is more about penny than it is about the danger around her. The twist at the end ...more
Eeyore2468 Gaming
It was truly AMAZING i love it but you should NOT read it at night! i couldnt sleep untill 1 in the morning!
Cindy
Loved it! Did NOT want it to end. Just one of the best books I have read!
Madelyn S
A pretty dark book/setting for 13 year old characters
Elizabeth
Feb 03, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6th-8th grade
This book is awesome. I remember reading it when I had a bad sprain on my ankle as a kid - when everyone else was playing, I read this. I was terrified. It stayed with me in my dreams. The story became real to me. I read it. I reread it. I think I've read it 3 or 4 times. And every time it's just plain cool. Scary. Enthralling. Entertaining.

This isn't a book with a big, deep, revealing truth. It's not going to give you a deeper understanding of the world. But if you're a kid, looking for a fun,
Jan
Yikes! How could this YA novel come from the same author as the one who wrote the May Amelia books and the Boston Jane series? Although the adventure is fun, the violence and murder were too much for me. Even in an adult novel, I would not enjoy reading about a child murder. It was creepy when they were burning ants and killing cats, but the weird sexual attraction and over-the-top assumptions about who was dangerous and who was not became creepy to me.
Pass on this one.
Alicia
This is a fabulous piece of fiction. An excellent and quick read for those who enjoy a bit of a thriller! The plot moves quickly and keeps the reader guessing to the very end.

I very seldom come across a book that truly surprises me. There were a few times in this book where I actually yelled out loud and somewhat embarrassed myself because a plot twist so caught me off guard.

This book is very well written and definitely a must read!
Josie
Dec 16, 2012 Josie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any young adult that is prepared for a great read.
Recommended to Josie by: Stacie Brown (My mother)
Shelves: coming-of-age
I've never been as enthralled in a book as I was in this one. I love the author Jennifer L. Holm, and loved how she really made you feel like you were there watching everything happen before your very eyes. I felt as if I was in Penny's place having every traumatizing event happen to me. I would definitely recommend this book to any young adults whom want to read a book that they can simply not put down.
Clarisse
my neighbor was the author of this book and she gave it to me. i read it and it was amazing. i usually dont read but we recently just got bac from hawaii and we had a 5 hour flight back and i just read the whole time. this book is perfect! and once you start, you can never put it down so buy it!
Mary
This book is not for elementary kids!! I even question middle school kids! It’s a mystery (Who is the bad guy?) and throughout the whole book I wanted to scream, “Just tell an adult what’s going on!” OR “Parents, do you know what your kids are up to?” It’s engaging, but . . . creepy.
Gabby☺
a bad boy comes back to town and beats up a fat kid named Zachery.......pets disappear......murder is attempted....and little girls die......first kisses also occur

find out who really is behind all the murders and petnapping after the bad boy is found dead
Cindy
This is a great book to suggest to struggling readers who are looking for a good thriller. The bad boy has moved back to a quiet neighborhood after years in juvenile detention. Terrible things start happening...but, who is really responsible?
Angie
Well. Pretty much hated this one and not even sure why I finished it. I like spooky mysteries but the characters just didn't ... fit.

Half the time you don't even know if the main character is in her right mind or not. And she's only thirteen.
Clara
I wouldn't really call this a kid book. I read in the 8th grade, but there were parts of it that were really scary. I remember really liking the book. It was suspenseful and interesting... but a little creepy.
Clare D' Lune
Mar 10, 2008 Clare D' Lune rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA
There were some parts in this that I didn't really like, like the fact that these are kids that are terrorizing a neigborhood, but it was ok. It was good in a creepy sort of way...
  • Dork in Disguise
  • Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Ireland
  • Here Lies Linc
  • Manhunt (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #3)
  • Ten Good and Bad Things About My Life (So Far)
  • The Alpine Zen (Emma Lord Mystery, #26)
  • Bye, Bye Love (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, # 4)
  • An Intimate Murder
  • Saving Mr. Terupt
  • Assassin
  • Cuba 15
  • Locked Inside
  • Spectrum (Karen Vail, #6)
  • Absolutely Truly (Pumpkin Falls Mystery)
  • Shock Point
  • The House by the Churchyard
  • The Loud Silence of Francine Green
  • Being Dead
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra
More about Jennifer L. Holm...
Turtle in Paradise Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1) Penny from Heaven Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1) The Fourteenth Goldfish