Start by marking “Moods Of Future Joys” as Want to Read:
Moods Of Future Joys

Moods Of Future Joys

Alastair Humphreys' round the world journey of 46,000 miles was an old fashioned adventure: long, lonely, low budget and spontaneous. Cycling across five continents and sailing over the oceans, his ride took him four years to complete, on a tiny budget of hoarded student loans. Moods of Future Joys is the story of the remarkable first stage of the expedition.
Published 2006 by Adlibbed Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Moods Of Future Joys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moods Of Future Joys

Full Tilt by Dervla MurphyMiles from Nowhere by Barbara SavageThunder  Sunshine by Alastair HumphreysCatfish and Mandala by Andrew X. PhamMoods Of Future Joys by Alastair Humphreys
Bike Travel
44 books — 27 voters
Miles from Nowhere by Barbara SavageHell on Two Wheels by Amy SnyderBe Brave, Be Strong by Jill HomerBicycle Diaries by David ByrneThe Lost Cyclist by David V. Herlihy
Bike Books
64 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Shane
Sep 20, 2011 Shane rated it it was amazing
Having followed Alastair's blog and videos for some time I decided to read the books. I wasn't disappointed! He has a great writing style and I found it easy to keep turning pages. I've already started on the next one too!
Joseph
This is a fantastic account of a journey Alastair Humphreys took from England, through Europe, and then on through Africa to Cape Town. It's not an encyclopedic account of his travels, but a rather fast paced clip of his ride, with impressions and his own personal struggles and fears. I found it hard to put down because it was very compelling for me.

The only problem is the book itself. There are a number of places where sentences run together, due to the digital printing process perhaps, or slop
Paul
Mar 12, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harbouring a desire to ride round the world Alastair Humphreys had saved and planned it for ages, and at the age of 24 he was ready to leave. Or was he? Huge doubts had set in and he was worrying about all sorts of things, but he took the plunge and set off to the continent. As the days passed through Europe, confidence grew and after a couple of weeks cycling he was approaching Istanbul, and the prospect of leaving Europe and moving into Asia. Then the September 11th attacks happened. This chan ...more
Emma K.
Jan 07, 2011 Emma K. rated it liked it
not amazingly well written, but a very interesting story about a guy biking from London through the Middle east and Africa down to Cape Town
Liam Proven
Dec 29, 2013 Liam Proven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Review p1/2]

I bought this new, after acquiring the second volume of Alastair Humphreys' travelogue for nothing from Bookmooch some year ago and despairing of ever getting the first part. I read both together, but I can't do a joint review.

Humphreys writes a strange travelogue, but a damned good one. He cycled round the world, solo, in his early 20s, taking over four years, on a budget of nothing but his hoarded £7000 of student grant. He did little in the way of preparation – he chose his route
Astratow
Oct 03, 2014 Astratow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angielskie, podr-e
It's a good read, despite small size it says a lot. I miss a technical issues, Al never says this or that broke, just after long time there is next to nothing working within his machine... I would like to trace the way it wears. But probably it was not so important and instead we have dramatic descriptions of authors urges to call his girlfriend who he decided to dump for a sake of the trip (this is more complicated, I am being sarcastic here). I suppose some pictures would improve the book, wel ...more
Dave
Apr 05, 2014 Dave rated it really liked it
This book is a fun easy read which will inspire any would-be adventure travellers. Alastair is a likeable, genuine character and writes with much skill. I read the kindle version which appears to be published by Eye Books rather than self published as the earlier reviews seem to indicate the paperback was. However, it still lacks polish, and the frequency of punctuation mistakes and typos was a little infuriating, could do with another edit. This isn't reason enough not to read it however.
Gonçalo Peres
Jul 01, 2014 Gonçalo Peres rated it it was amazing
The best cycle-touring book I've read so far. Well written, great stories and metaphysical thoughts, nice character evolution, nice rhythm, never fading adventures. Loved it!
Tom
Dec 04, 2016 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the age of 24, Alastair decides his life in England isn't enough. He leaves a decent job, a loving family and girlfriend and his comfort zone to take on a hugely ambitious journey - to cycle around the world.

He leaves his home county of Yorkshire in the summer of 2001 and sets off across the European continent. By the time he is approaching Istanbul, 9/11 has happened and he has to drastically reroute, avoiding Pakistan and Afghanistan. He turns right and heads down through the Arabian penin
Mark Glover
Mar 14, 2013 Mark Glover rated it it was amazing
Alistair Humpreys book is one for the everyday adventurer, setting off underprepared, overwhelmed and unsure of his ability we follow Humprey's as he slowly adapts to a journey he had dreamt up but perhaps not thought through. I really enjoyed this book because of the honesty Humphreys displays in his writing, to start with he was no true adventurer and he admits as much, he lets us into the sense of overwhelming fear that must in stalk every journey of its ilk. While his language is not overly ...more
Heather
Feb 14, 2017 Heather rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, inspiring and motivational (although Alastair Humphries does seem to cry regularly!).
Sam Christie
Apr 23, 2013 Sam Christie rated it it was amazing
Alastair Humphreys has such a beautiful, fluent style of writing that he could keep a reader entertained with a story that analyses the process of photosynthesis. It goes without saying then, that Humphreys writing about his round-the-world Odyssey makes for quite an enthralling read. This book could quite easily be knocked off in a few hours but it packs a punch for a rather small read. Jam-packed with action, romance, humour and of course, adventure, it gives a real insight into the emotional ...more
Kobeest
Dec 16, 2015 Kobeest rated it really liked it
having just returned from riding 3000 miles in the US, i thought this would be a good thing to read... there are plenty of things i totally recognize and even wrote about myself. foremost, meeting wonderful people and "rough camping" as humphreys calls it (i use the term stealth camping that i heard somewhere). both of those experiences i share very similar emotions.

the one thing, i didn't experience, perhaps because i was not riding around the world and in such impoverished countries, his seve
Pac
Apr 23, 2016 Pac rated it it was amazing
A few years ago in order to prepare myself for my bike ride across Canada, I read several books by cyclist who had done something similar or in most cases more adventurous. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to read 'Moods Of Future Joys.' Having done so now, I certainly place it at the top of my favourite books on the subject, up there with Ann Mustoe's classics. Nearly three years ago my two sons and I achieved our dream to cycle across Canada coast to coast. Now while I'm planning my ...more
Tom Allen
May 18, 2013 Tom Allen rated it it was amazing
This is the book that played a large part in prompting me, for better or worse, to hit the road myself for a bicycle journey lasting several years. Even in the current glut of self-published monologues about long and tedious transcontinental rides, it remains a leading example in the genre. A generous amount of thoughtful, relatable introspection makes it compelling reading for those more interested in motivation and getting the most out of life, as well as those into their travel tales and bicy ...more
John
Oct 13, 2010 John rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
A fairly quick read, covering a lot of ground. I was struck by how naive - foolhardy when he went swimming in a lake that he knew was likely full of bilharzia - he could be. However, his optimism makes the book a good read; he notes the problems of the societies, but doesn't dwell on them. I wasn't sure if I'd want to get the second part, but after reading his epilogue, explaining that he did the trip because he wanted to, and self published the book because he felt that was better than no story ...more
David Kroodsma
Mar 25, 2008 David Kroodsma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel-books
I like Alstair, I admire him. He biked around the world using half as much money per day…no less, than I did when I crossed Latin America. He had bad equipment, as shown by his frequent breakdowns of his wheels. I want to only praise him for his accomplishment and for his ability to bike around the world and then sit down and write the book.

Alstair is not a gifted writer. But who is? Why should books be reserved for writers to write?

This book does not deserve five stars. But it gets it anyway
Bill Kinman
Oct 20, 2016 Bill Kinman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superbly written account of an incredible journey.

I have read many books about cycle touring and other personal adventures that test the human spirit. This story from Alistair's life in one of those that inspires the adventurous spirit in us all. His ability to relate that experience in a way that captures the essence of the journey and keeps one's interest from the beginning to the end makes this a book that's hard to put down once begun. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who loves
Syed Zohaib
Sep 27, 2015 Syed Zohaib rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this amazing book. This is a must read for people interested in travel writing. This book is the first part of Alstair Humphrey's journey around the world on a bike. The way he describes his journey is just amazing. Doesn't feel like you're reading a book but as if you're taking the journey with the author. The author is not shy in expressing his emotions in the book like when he was so exhausted that he stopped and cried. Beautiful prose and an easy read. Definitely one of ...more
Stephen
Jun 29, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it
The second half of the book is a definite improvement over the fairly unengaging first. The journey through the african continent holds some facinating moments and some surprisingly thought provoking ones too. Enjoyable book. The only things that let it down are the irrelevant 'recipes' which appear throughout the text and the far more numerous (and irritating) 'wise quotations'. Overall I have to say I really enjoyed it and look forward to the ultimate stage of his journey in the next book.
Sherif Ibrahim
Feb 05, 2016 Sherif Ibrahim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing travel book, It is a great cycling adventure book as well as a travel book, I liked that it had more focus on the actual travel experiences, the places and people that Alastair came across, as well as his fears and doubts rather than focus on the technical or the physical aspect, it reminded me of Paul Theroux's great book about traveling Asia by train, which I plan to read after I am done with part two of Alastair's book which I am reading now
Oliver
Mar 31, 2014 Oliver rated it really liked it
It's hard to fathom just how far alistair rode. How many hours he and his mind spent alone with a seemingly endless stretch of road. I guess the major theme in the book is that in the end, after a whole load of soul searching, we finally find ourselves back where were we started; in Alistair's case both metaphorically and physically. The quotes used throughout the book were great and the descriptions of the scenes were romantic and vivid.
Nigel
Mar 12, 2014 Nigel rated it it was amazing
A wonderful first book from the author describing his experiences, thoughts and feelings on the first half of his cycling journey around the world. Well worth a read.
Some reviews have commented that the book wasn't well written or that it needed editing. These I think are unfair as it is the authors first book and he says at the end that an editor would have been nice but he was self publishing the book. So I believe it was a cost he probably could not meet.
Sherry Mackay
Jul 21, 2016 Sherry Mackay rated it really liked it
I always love a good travel yarn where people go out of their comfort zone and really extend themselves. What an amazing story to take four years out of his life and bike around the world. Clearly you can interact more readily with the people and culture around you when you're on a bicycle which is exactly what he did. For a novice writer (at the time) his style is friendly and very readable. I enjoyed his tales of world travel.
Andy
Oct 15, 2011 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cycling, paperback, owned
Read this book, especially if you enjoy bicycling or adventure of any kind.

Al rides from Yorkshire to Cape Town on his bicycle. As you can imagine, it's quite a journey and many things happen along the way.

Luckily, I also bought volume 2 and look forward to continuing the adventure. I also read the Rob Lilliwal book and look forward to seeing what kind of intersection there might be for the Russian segment.

Theja Putta
Firstly, the title captures perfectly what I think about during any adventure. Many people ask us "Why do you do it? Why go through all that? What were you thinking?" Well, The answer is 'Moods of Future Joys'

This book has no illusions on what it is. It was not meant to be a literary masterpiece. Instead it was meant to share a wonderful experience and I love it for what it is.

Thank you for the ride Al.
Kim
Mar 18, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I read this book for a class (Technical Writing) and really enjoyed it. I'm not really sure why it was on the Technical Writing booklist. I'm going to have to do a book report on it. Great story, kind of low key, about a guy who takes of on his bicycle and rides from his home in England to South Africa. This is the first book of his trip-around-the-world on a bike. Pretty cool.
John
Jan 21, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Absolutely brilliant book with a great blend of human interaction and cycling. Alastair is able to convey a cycling story that is interesting and engaging as opposed to monotonous and boring. His honest reflection on and depiction of his experiences in some of the more difficult parts of Africa was refreshing in some sense.

I look forward to reading the Thunder & Sunshine.
Miles
Jun 07, 2012 Miles rated it liked it
Humphreys ambitiously sets out to cycle around the world - a journey that took him four years (this is part 1: England to Cape Town). An good read, but the Humphreys doesn't quite go deep enough in his analysis of himself and the countries he passes through. I fun read, but it left me wanting something a bit more.
Saskia (Smitie)
Apr 05, 2016 Saskia (Smitie) rated it liked it
People do crazy things, cycling over the world is one of them. I enjoyed this travel story of Alastair, he describes the atmosphere of his surroundings very well. The book is short, +/- 200 pages (my edition didn't have page numbers...very annoying). I felt like I missed a lot of his experiences during the year he was in Africa.
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong book cover 9 28 Dec 02, 2011 04:36PM
  • Cycling Home From Siberia
  • The Man Who Cycled the Americas
  • Let Our Fame Be Great: Journeys Among the Defiant People of the Caucasus
  • The Road Headed West: America Coast to Coast: A Cycling Odyssey
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • A Bike Ride: 12,000 Miles Around the World
  • Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing
  • Her Name Was Lola
  • Farewell But Not Goodbye
  • The Lonely Planet Story: Once While Travelling
  • Dark Waters (The Expedition, #1)
  • Racing Through the Dark
  • Orwell in Spain: The Full Text of Homage to Catalonia, with Associated Articles, Reviews and Letters from the Complete Works of George Orwell
  • Seven Days to Tell You