Start by marking “Weeds Like Us” as Want to Read:
Weeds Like Us

Weeds Like Us

The uprooting of seven million civilians - women, children, and elderly men - from their homes in the German provinces of East Prussia, Pomerania, and Silesia following World War II is largely unknown in the United States. Weeds Like Us is a gripping true adventure story about the author's own East Prussian family. The author's earliest years were spent in relative comfort ...more
Published November 6th 2008 by Authorhouse (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Weeds Like Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weeds Like Us

Hanna Dunn
Apr 09, 2016 Hanna Dunn rated it it was amazing
I read this about 10 years ago. A clever marketer, the author Mr. Gunther Nitsch contacted any Nitsch's he could find in N. America. He found my parents in Toronto. They, after reading it themselves, bought 3 more books for their 3 adult children so that we might better understand their war time challenges and flea from East Prussia. (We never established whether we are directly related to Gunther Nitsch but it is entirely possible based on the same name, same area of Germany.)
The book is well r
Powerock
Apr 21, 2010 Powerock rated it really liked it
This is an author-published memoir of his life in Europe during WWII. He was born in East Prussia in 37 and lived peacefully on his grandfather's farm during the war. All changed when the Russians invaded and his life and that of his family was one of survival until 1950.

I liked reading another perspective of the events of those years. He shares his family's total lack of knowledge of goings on. Little pleasures we take for granted - like drinking from a tea cup rather than a tin cup - are recal
Frau Ott
Apr 30, 2016 Frau Ott rated it really liked it
This book is non-fiction and recounts the childhood of Gunter - born in 1937 in East Prussia who survived the war with his mother, grandmother and brother. Living and surviving during the war by working in the fields, factories and camps. It gives me a much better understanding of what my siblings lived through while in Germany. It makes me want to get my oldest sisters and brother who were born in 1928, 1930, and 1938. My parents didn't talk about the war years. I remember my mother saying, "I ...more
Sharon Anne Beers
Feb 18, 2016 Sharon Anne Beers rated it it was amazing
This true story about six years of Gunter Nitsch's childhood is hauntingly captivating. He tells of the incredible hardships he, his mother, his siblings and extended family suffered as they made their way from Russian occupied East Prussia to West Berlin in the early post WWII years. It is an eye-opening tale of determination, resilience, hunger, abject poverty, and family relationships that should be required reading in 9th or 10th grade.
Ellen
Aug 17, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
This was a good book that I found personally interesting because it told much of my family of origin's story. Such saddness, fear, hunger especially for children that survive during wartime. I actually contacted and spoke with the author as I felt it helped understand some of the ghosts that live in my own family. I cried and was very sad when I read this.
Ann Marie
Apr 21, 2011 Ann Marie rated it really liked it
I read this only because it got sent to my office b/c the man who wrote it is from scarsdale, i was pleasantly surprised with how well it was written and how captivated i was!
Pat
Feb 11, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book so much I bought his next book Stretch Coming of Age in Post War Germany. Just finished that one and loved it too.
Maria
Jul 17, 2011 Maria rated it it was amazing
Wow! I will definitely have to read Gunter Nitsch's second book, "Stretch," which is a followup to this one.

Rita
Oct 02, 2010 Rita rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! This tells the story of what happened in East Prussia before, during and after WWII to 7 million people
Holly Compton
Alice E. Shannon
Alice E. Shannon rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Clarissa Moore
Clarissa Moore rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Ckaboyce Bacavalleycom
Ckaboyce Bacavalleycom rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2010
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Lynne
Lynne rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2015
Brandi Kliemann
Brandi Kliemann rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Suellen Stover
Suellen Stover rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2012
Robyn
Robyn rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Janelle
Janelle rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Sarah Jane
Sarah Jane rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
D Andrews
D Andrews rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Debbie Mcphee
Debbie Mcphee rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Rich
Rich rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Susan Springer
Nov 05, 2013 Susan Springer rated it really liked it
Heart-wrenching autobiography of early life of Gunter Nitsch, a member
of the Café Conversation.
Suzy
Suzy rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2011
I am the author of three books: Weeds Like Us (which was published in German translation in Hamburg as Eine lange Flucht aus Ostpreussen), STRETCH: Coming of Age in Post-War Germany, and A Singular Education: A German Bachelor in New York (1964-1974).

My first book, Weeds Like Us, vividly describes my strange childhood in Russian-occupied East Prussia following World War II.

STRETCH: Coming of Age i
More about Gunter Nitsch...