Start by marking “Two Cities: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Two Cities: A Love Story

Two Cities: A Love Story

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A redemptive, healing novel, Two Cities brings to brilliant culmination the themes John Edgar Wideman has developed in fourteen previous acclaimed books. It is a story of bridges -- bridges spanning the rivers of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, bridges arching over the rifts that have divided our communities, our country, our hearts. Narrated in the bluesy voices of its three ...more
Published September 30th 1999 by Mariner Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Two Cities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Cities

John Winston
John Edgar Wideman is the Spike Lee, Charlie Parker, and John Coltrane of literature. This novel is like a good malbec: an acquired taste. Wideman breaks every grammar rule in the book in this ghetto love story: no exclamation points (I know, amateurish anyway), no question marks, no quotation marks for dialog, run-on sentences, and point of view shifts, at will. I wonder what William Strunk Jr. would say. But when you've won as many awards as Wideman has, you can break those constricting rules. ...more
Olga
I've read this book for an Afro-American literature course and unfortunately I was really disappointed with it. I expected something quite extraordinary as a culmination of our course since I enjoyed every single book we've read. I've never before read anything by Wideman and I was expecting a postmodernist novel about love (I was mislead by the title), I was imagining something like Ishmael Reed together with Toni Morrison, instead I've received something rather incomprehensible, a story about ...more
Michelle
I'm being somewhat gracious with four stars. The writing was superlative - beautifully poetic and (seemingly) authentic. I liked the story too.

The title suggests that the two cities, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, will be characters themselves, which wasn't the case. It seemed like the cities in this book could have been Newark, Oakland, Detroit, or Chicago.

I wish the pictures would have been described better. The story, and especially its conclusion, would have been more powerful had we "seen" t
U. Teresa
This is probably the best literature I have read in the last year. Wideman's characters are fully realized, his plot captivating, and the language mesmerizing. This is no simple love story between a man and woman; it is about love in all its venues. I think Wideman really brings you into the lives of the main characters and makes you feel the pain and joy of each. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a classic African American blues novel.
Kalem Wright
Oppressive bleak like Pennsylvania skies, "Two Cities" explores the soul-crushing experience of racism and hopelessness in urban Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Wideman' language is absolutely lyrical if impenetrable at times. The narrative is masterfully fragmented and layered with multiple voices in a way that unites the characters' experiences and, at best, conveys hope in the survival blacks have demonstrated. It's like resilience in a novel.
Kate Hill
This book makes your heart race like you're having a panic attack. Holy jazzy cadence! and what a tender love and fear he shows for Philly and Pittsburgh.
Kyla
Kyla marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Autumn Linn
Autumn Linn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Nascha
Nascha marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Jennings Peeler
Jennings Peeler marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Tammara
Tammara marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Brittaney Freiheit
Brittaney Freiheit marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Aaron Robertson
Aaron Robertson marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Shana Bulhan Haydock
Shana Bulhan Haydock marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
20703
A widely-celebrated writer and the winner of many literary awards, he is the first to win the International PEN/Faulkner Award twice: in 1984 for Sent for You Yesterday and in 1990 for Philadelphia Fire. In 2000 he won the O. Henry Award for his short story "Weight", published in The Callaloo Journal.

In March, 2010, he self-published "Briefs," a new collection of microstories, on Lulu.com. Stories
More about John Edgar Wideman...
Brothers and Keepers: A Memoir Philadelphia Fire Sent for You Yesterday Damballah The Cattle Killing