Start by marking “The Shadow Dragons” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Dragons

The Shadow Dragons (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica #4)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,436 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
The Caretakers of the Imaginarium Geographica are at war. The Imperial Cartological Society, led by Richard Burton, have collected all of the doors from the Keep of Time, and are building a new tower in our world at the request of an old enemy: The Winter King’s Shadow. He has a terrible weapon – The Spear of Destiny – that can be used to command the shadows of anyone it t ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published October 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Dragons

Skip
Mar 01, 2015 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Rounded up from a 2.5. As the Shadow of the Winter King tries to take control of both the Archipelago and the Summer Lands using the Spear of Destiny, the Caretakers and Rose must find a way to fulfill the prophecy that prevents this as well as halting the disintegration of the Keep of Time. With a variety of characters from the past, both literary and scientific, and a new character (Don Quixote), they work to save the two worlds from a terrible fate.

This book was very slow. It took way too lon
Hummingbeard
Jul 26, 2015 Hummingbeard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Here's the Imaginarium Geographica drinking game.
Take a shot every time:
- someone says "this is a fine how-do-you-do"
- someone says something "matter-of-factly"
- one of the main characters is confused
- one of the main characters makes a stupid decision
- one of the main characters comes to a bad conclusion
- there is hugging and joyful greeting
- time travel is poorly executed
- the plot doesn't make sense
Molly
Feb 01, 2010 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters that Owen has created in this series, or I suppose the more accuarte thing would be to say, the characters he has elaborated on, really came to life for me in this fourth book. I have grown to love the interactions between those of the Summer Country and those of the Archapeligo.

I enjoyed the past caretakers, and the lead into the more modern caretakers. I am interested to see what happens to the Archapeligo and the Summer Country in the books to come.

I thoroughly enjoy this ser
Erin Channell
Nov 15, 2014 Erin Channell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
While I love all of the books in this series, this one really addressed a lot of the questions I ask myself whenever I read them. I especially enjoy the look into the history of the Caretakers and who they are/were.
Valentina
Jun 07, 2015 Valentina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know I said the third book was my favourite of the series, but that was obviously before I read this one.
The Shadow Dragons now have this status mostly because of the Caretakers Emeritis. Without giving too much away, some of the best lines yet have been delivered and I overall enjoyed all the references through-out this book.
The plot was intricate and I'm still part fascinated, part confused by the whole time-travelling thing.
However, I still feel like the book is stripped off all emotion.
Sara
Jan 14, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darker and more complex than the previous books, this one is clearly laying out the future of the series. I enjoyed the time travel elements and the return of some favorite old characters. This book is marked with a lot of sadness and sacrifice as well as intrigue. There is a literal pantheon of characters who are sometimes hard to keep track of. Charles, John and Jack, however, continue to be the Three Musketeers (so to speak) who keep us focused on the primary story arcs and most important det ...more
Graham Bradley
Jul 16, 2011 Graham Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this, and I'm glad I did. There's always so much to remember in these books, and I have to read the fifth one.
Ginny
Apr 06, 2011 Ginny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
super excellent
learned some new things about some old authors and their characters.
Just plain fun
Mith
The foreshadowing at the end about my beloved Charles DID NOT PLEASE ME.

*breaks down*
Luciana Darce
Dec 09, 2014 Luciana Darce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desde o segundo livro da série The Search for the Red Dragon , The Search for the Red Dragon, Owens nos introduz ao conceito de um grande, enorme paradoxo temporal, que só tomou profundidade em The Indigo King e alcançou novas dimensões neste quarto livro.

Eu não tinha certeza se Owens conseguiria manter o nível alcançado no episódio anterior de sua saga com esse The Shadow Dragons, especialmente depois de ler à introdução que ele considerava esse livro uma transição, “a middle book”. Bem, eu dev
Creativity's Corner
This review was originally posted on my blog, Creativity's Corner

I have been waiting for this book for a VERY long time. It's the fourth book in my absolute favorite series, The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, and it was set to come out almost immediately after I left for England. I was very frustrated, because I wanted it NOW. Unfortunately, after reading it, I'm starting to feel my desperation was a bit unwarranted.

That's not to say it's all bad. In fact there were several things
Christy
Dec 21, 2010 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this series aloud to my boys. We have been really enjoying them, even though the confusion factor with all the time travel/different dimension stuff can be high. Hopefully it is stretching their minds to better comprehend stories like these.

I know it's practically impossible to completely understand the circumstances around an individual's decisions for good or evil. This book does a good job showing how complicated judgment can be and how a little kindness and forgiveness can go a
Littlebearries
Oct 10, 2011 Littlebearries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica
by James A. Owen

Story Title: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Ending: 5/5

Synopsis:
John, Jack and Charles, three young men from Oxford, find themselves called to duty to care for what is possibly the most well protected book ever, the Imaginarium Geographica.

Character Likability:
John: The Principal Caretaker of the Imaginarium Geographica, John is logical, wise and patient. He’s not only likeable, he endears himself to the reader with his compassion and at t
Paula Howard
Dec 22, 2012 Paula Howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Shadow Dragons our heroes are once more called upon to save the Archipelago of Dreams and the world that we know. Rose who had come to our world with our 3 heroes is creating a problem... she isn't aging.

Alvin Ransom comes to assist John, Jack and Charles get Rose to a place of safety. This book introduces travel between dimension and the continuation of time travel.

Rudyard Kipling along with Yoricks (7ft tall creatures with over sized heads with no eyes but sockets, no feathers and bir
Shonna Froebel
This book is part of the series The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica.
The current caretakers have gathered in the woods near Oxford to discuss the current challenge of the young girl Rose, the Grail Child, who was brought through to their time on a previous adventure. They are met by a man who introduces them to even more dangers and in escaping from one situation, find themselves involved in another.
Terri M.
After a very confusing 3rd book with lots of time travel weirdness, Owen redeems himself with the 4th book which sets the series off for what will hopefully be a fantastic finish!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few years ago I discovered the novel Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen. This is the first book in the 7 books series known as the “The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica” which follows the lives of Jack, John and Charles as they battle the forces of evil in an e
Samantha
Dayna Smith
The fourth book in The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica. The three caretakers must travel forward in time to prevent the Winter King's shadow from taking over both the Archipelago and the Summer Country. In this installment of the series, you find out much more about the former caretakers, as well as those who wanted to be caretakers. Another highly imaginative entry in this fantastic series.
Martha
Apr 07, 2016 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of the depth and interweaving of characters, plus I liked how the author addressed the issue of redemption and forgiveness. So many questions were answered in this book, but still there are more and new ones to answer, so I am ready for the next book.
Deborah Darsie
Jan 25, 2013 Deborah Darsie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-youth
An awesomely complex tale about the the shadow forces (bad guys) who continue to separate people and dragons from their shadows...this is a way of transferring the Power to the Shadow King as he is increasing his efforts to take hold over the world, rebuild the Keep of Time and cause the overflow of anger, darkness to influence the evils in our world during the lead up to WWII.

The violence in the alternate world will roll over into the other worlds which border on the Archipelago. The reader ge
Evelyn
It's been ages since I read the third book in the series, and it wasn't as easy to fall back into the story as it could have been. I ended up disregarding anything that was mentioned but not strictly relevant to the story - who is this Hugo they keep talking about? - but I am sure that it depleted the experience. Rose seems to have come out of left field, and while I don't object to her as a character I object to her enormous role in the story. Well. I enjoyed the story, and it drew me in suffic ...more
Mikel
Jan 29, 2015 Mikel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice to have finished the series. it was a good book, better than Part 3, but the last two just seemed like constant literary references more than a story. the first two were unique stories with hints of familiarity. the last two seem like really clever thesis essays.
Betsy
Aug 15, 2011 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is a joy. I had fun spending time in the company of the young Inklings again, and all of their compadres as well, including Poe, Twain, Shakespeare ("He ought to be flogged"), and those wonderful badgers. The book is full of references to other stories, such as The Wizard of Oz, The Silver Chair, The Once and Future King, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, the Hobbit, Out of the Silent Planet, Shrek, and many, many more. In the author's notes at the end, there is the promis ...more
Becky
Nov 09, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow Dragons is my last in the series to reread. The next two books will be new to me! I am still enjoying this series, enjoying the characters and all the twists and turns. Each book leads the Caretaker into a bigger mess, making earlier conflicts seem almost too easy to set right. In this one, "to save the world" the Caretakers must team up with previous Caretakers and loyal subjects/citizens of the Archipelago. There are many separate journeys in this one--the Caretakers split up--and s ...more
Jay
Apr 04, 2015 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I've enjoyed the oodles of literary references in this series, but this book even added some more modern references: graphic novels, Disney, and even a DreamWorks reference.

Excellent.
Kristie
Feb 19, 2015 Kristie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still an intriguing series. Just when you think you know the bad guys.... Something makes them human. Audio.
Robert Marquez
Jul 15, 2014 Robert Marquez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ttr-2014
This book was more then amazing. I loved it. The shadow dragon was great. Thank you, James A Owen.
Zhenhao Ren
Oct 01, 2013 Zhenhao Ren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8th-grade
I think that the overall story was great and that the author put lot's of work into this book. Every chapter there's an illustration made by the author using pen which requires time and effort to make it look good. With one simple mistake on the illustrations then the illustration is ruined so you also have to be careful. To read this book you should have a wide knowledge of literature and myths and the pop culture because the author will add them everywhere in the book. This book is like the m ...more
Beth
That's more like it. This is a much better match in style and tone to the first two books than the third was. If you haven't read those, go pick up "Here there Be Dragons" post haste. If you have, then this what the first three books have been building to. Escalating conflicts with the Winter King, evolution of our characters, some nicely closed time loops, and... well, OK, some of the time travel gave me a headache. But we get to explore much more of past caretakers and hints of future ones (an ...more
Azad Çelik
ı lowe james owen books
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • One Season of Sunshine (Cedar Springs #2)
  • Ancient, Strange, and Lovely (Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Magic Lessons (Magic or Madness, #2)
  • The Softwire: Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3
  • Spirits in the Park (Gods of Manhattan, #2)
  • The Industry (The Industry, #1)
  • The Lost Barkscrolls
  • Hatter M, Volume 4: Zen of Wonder (Hatter M, #4)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • Well, Really Mr Twiddle! (Happy Days)
  • Sky Realm (Crystal Doors, #3)
  • griEVE
  • Tiger Moon
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • The Lost Cities: A Drift House Voyage

The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica (7 books)
  • Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #1)
  • The Search for the Red Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #2)
  • The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3)
  • The Dragon's Apprentice (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #5)
  • The Dragons of Winter (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #6)
  • The First Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #7)

“I'm a conundrum. Or an enigma. I forget which.” 39 likes
“Don't ascribe to evil what can be attributed to well-intentioned stupidity.” 28 likes