Start by marking “The Shadow Dragons” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Dragons

The Shadow Dragons (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica #4)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,152 ratings  ·  71 reviews
The Caretakers of the Imaginarium Geographica are at war. The Imperial Cartological Society, led by Richard Burton, have collected all of the doors from the Keep of Time, and are building a new tower in our world at the request of an old enemy: The Winter King’s Shadow. He has a terrible weapon – The Spear of Destiny – that can be used to comm ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published October 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Dragons

Bethany
A glorious turning point in the series filled with time travel that I sort of understood, double and triple (and maybe even quadruple) agents, and, of course, a few talking badgers.
Molly
The characters that Owen has created in this series, or I suppose the more accuarte thing would be to say, the characters he has elaborated on, really came to life for me in this fourth book. I have grown to love the interactions between those of the Summer Country and those of the Archapeligo.

I enjoyed the past caretakers, and the lead into the more modern caretakers. I am interested to see what happens to the Archapeligo and the Summer Country in the books to come.

I thoroughly enjoy this ser
Erin Channell
While I love all of the books in this series, this one really addressed a lot of the questions I ask myself whenever I read them. I especially enjoy the look into the history of the Caretakers and who they are/were.
Sara
Darker and more complex than the previous books, this one is clearly laying out the future of the series. I enjoyed the time travel elements and the return of some favorite old characters. This book is marked with a lot of sadness and sacrifice as well as intrigue. There is a literal pantheon of characters who are sometimes hard to keep track of. Charles, John and Jack, however, continue to be the Three Musketeers (so to speak) who keep us focused on the primary story arcs and most important det ...more
Graham Bradley
I just re-read this, and I'm glad I did. There's always so much to remember in these books, and I have to read the fifth one.
Ginny
super excellent
learned some new things about some old authors and their characters.
Just plain fun
Mith
The foreshadowing at the end about my beloved Charles DID NOT PLEASE ME.

*breaks down*
Creativity's Corner
This review was originally posted on my blog, Creativity's Corner

I have been waiting for this book for a VERY long time. It's the fourth book in my absolute favorite series, The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, and it was set to come out almost immediately after I left for England. I was very frustrated, because I wanted it NOW. Unfortunately, after reading it, I'm starting to feel my desperation was a bit unwarranted.

That's not to say it's all bad. In fact there were several things
Christy
I am reading this series aloud to my boys. We have been really enjoying them, even though the confusion factor with all the time travel/different dimension stuff can be high. Hopefully it is stretching their minds to better comprehend stories like these.

I know it's practically impossible to completely understand the circumstances around an individual's decisions for good or evil. This book does a good job showing how complicated judgment can be and how a little kindness and forgiveness can go a
Littlebearries

The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica
by James A. Owen

Story Title: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Ending: 5/5

Synopsis:
John, Jack and Charles, three young men from Oxford, find themselves called to duty to care for what is possibly the most well protected book ever, the Imaginarium Geographica.

Character Likability:
John: The Principal Caretaker of the Imaginarium Geographica, John is logical, wise and patient. He’s not only likeable, he endears himself to the reader with his compassion and at t
Paula Howard
In the Shadow Dragons our heroes are once more called upon to save the Archipelago of Dreams and the world that we know. Rose who had come to our world with our 3 heroes is creating a problem... she isn't aging.

Alvin Ransom comes to assist John, Jack and Charles get Rose to a place of safety. This book introduces travel between dimension and the continuation of time travel.

Rudyard Kipling along with Yoricks (7ft tall creatures with over sized heads with no eyes but sockets, no feathers and bir
Shonna Froebel
This book is part of the series The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica.
The current caretakers have gathered in the woods near Oxford to discuss the current challenge of the young girl Rose, the Grail Child, who was brought through to their time on a previous adventure. They are met by a man who introduces them to even more dangers and in escaping from one situation, find themselves involved in another.
As the Shadow of the Winter King tries to take control of both the Archipelago and the S
Samantha
Dayna Smith
The fourth book in The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica. The three caretakers must travel forward in time to prevent the Winter King's shadow from taking over both the Archipelago and the Summer Country. In this installment of the series, you find out much more about the former caretakers, as well as those who wanted to be caretakers. Another highly imaginative entry in this fantastic series.
Deborah Darsie
An awesomely complex tale about the the shadow forces (bad guys) who continue to separate people and dragons from their shadows...this is a way of transferring the Power to the Shadow King as he is increasing his efforts to take hold over the world, rebuild the Keep of Time and cause the overflow of anger, darkness to influence the evils in our world during the lead up to WWII.

The violence in the alternate world will roll over into the other worlds which border on the Archipelago. The reader ge
Evelyn
It's been ages since I read the third book in the series, and it wasn't as easy to fall back into the story as it could have been. I ended up disregarding anything that was mentioned but not strictly relevant to the story - who is this Hugo they keep talking about? - but I am sure that it depleted the experience. Rose seems to have come out of left field, and while I don't object to her as a character I object to her enormous role in the story. Well. I enjoyed the story, and it drew me in suffic ...more
Betsy
This series is a joy. I had fun spending time in the company of the young Inklings again, and all of their compadres as well, including Poe, Twain, Shakespeare ("He ought to be flogged"), and those wonderful badgers. The book is full of references to other stories, such as The Wizard of Oz, The Silver Chair, The Once and Future King, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, the Hobbit, Out of the Silent Planet, Shrek, and many, many more. In the author's notes at the end, there is the promis ...more
Becky
The Shadow Dragons is my last in the series to reread. The next two books will be new to me! I am still enjoying this series, enjoying the characters and all the twists and turns. Each book leads the Caretaker into a bigger mess, making earlier conflicts seem almost too easy to set right. In this one, "to save the world" the Caretakers must team up with previous Caretakers and loyal subjects/citizens of the Archipelago. There are many separate journeys in this one--the Caretakers split up--and s ...more
Robert Marquez
This book was more then amazing. I loved it. The shadow dragon was great. Thank you, James A Owen.
Zhenhao Ren
I think that the overall story was great and that the author put lot's of work into this book. Every chapter there's an illustration made by the author using pen which requires time and effort to make it look good. With one simple mistake on the illustrations then the illustration is ruined so you also have to be careful. To read this book you should have a wide knowledge of literature and myths and the pop culture because the author will add them everywhere in the book. This book is like the m ...more
Beth
That's more like it. This is a much better match in style and tone to the first two books than the third was. If you haven't read those, go pick up "Here there Be Dragons" post haste. If you have, then this what the first three books have been building to. Escalating conflicts with the Winter King, evolution of our characters, some nicely closed time loops, and... well, OK, some of the time travel gave me a headache. But we get to explore much more of past caretakers and hints of future ones (an ...more
Azad Çelik
ı lowe james owen books
Kerith
This series is fun, though by the time I reached this book I no longer had much of an idea of what was going on. It was a treat to see Poe show up, and all the literary references and in-jokes are fun to pick out, especially the nod to Gaiman's death of Dream. The presence of Rose Dyson is also refreshing, because overall there are not enough women in these books. We can forgive Tolkien that, perhaps, but Owen? No. Surely there are more female Caretaker possibilities than just Mary Shelley!
Jeannine
I would like to re-read this book at some point after re-reading the others in the series again. I loved the 1st book in this series and even gave it as a gift. However, it has been quite awhile since I've read the other books and I'd forgotten much of what occurred in them. Consequently, I was very confused for much of this book as I tried to piece together the past of these characters. This book cannot stand alone, and should only be read with the others in the series.
Daleb.
Apr 02, 2012 Daleb. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daleb. by: Book #4 of the series
Well, it took me long enough...Most of the time i babysit for my little bro and sister in law i do Lots of reading, but for some reason this time after two weeks i've only managed to finish the last few chapters of this book
Another great episode...what will the next book hold
Really enjoying these books and all the time travel/adventure/dimension hopping going on
xoDaleB.xo
Izzy
I think the book would have been better with fewer characters and deeper character development.

Overall, this is my least favorite of the series (that I've read). Fans of milieu stories (books that focus on setting) would probably like it. I thought Owen spent too much time making allusions to other fantasy literature and not enough time making his characters and story dynamic.
k.wing
Can we just talk about James Owen's Author's Notes at the end of the books? Seriously. They are starting to become my favorite parts.

The Shadow Dragons contains my favorite chapter in all of the books thus far - chapter six, The Last Map. It was not only fun and hilarious, but there were points that have me chills. When you read it, pay attention to this chapter in particular. :)
Aylin
kingshearte
This is one I don't have much to say about. I continue to enjoy this series, although as time travel and other dimensions become more and more entwined, I do start to find it harder to follow all the explanations of what's happened when/in what dimension, and what effect that has on the present/past/future of this, that and the other dimensions. But it's all still fun.
Lucero
I was kind of disappointed with this one... It wasn't as funny as his others, and while I like a complex plot, this became too confusing and involved A LOT of explanations which were tiresome to read through. There were also waaay to many characters to keep track of who all acted and spoke kind of similarly.

But it was still pretty entertaining. :)
  • Ancient, Strange, and Lovely (Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • The Lost Barkscrolls
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • Time Quake (The Gideon Trilogy, #3)
  • Spirits in the Park (Gods of Manhattan, #2)
  • Tiger Moon
  • The Softwire: Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3
  • The Last Battle of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #3)
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • The Adventures of Mr Pink-Whistle (Happy Days)
  • One Season of Sunshine (Cedar Springs #2)
  • Magic Lessons (Magic or Madness, #2)
  • The Industry (The Industry, #1)
  • Rivers of Fire (Atherton, #2)
  • griEVE
  • Hatter M, Vol. 4: Zen of Wonder
Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #1) The Search for the Red Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #2) The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3) The Dragon's Apprentice (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #5) The Dragons of Winter (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #6)

“I'm a conundrum. Or an enigma. I forget which.” 32 likes
“Don't ascribe to evil what can be attributed to well-intentioned stupidity.” 23 likes