Start by marking “Fat Chance (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Fat Chance (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #3)

Fat Chance (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  497 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The difference between the wrath of God and the wrath of your mother is that eventually God forgives you.

Finley Anderson Tanner just landed a quaint new cottage on posh Palm Beach. Not bad for an underachieving, sample-sale-shopping paralegal -- until she finds the place in shambles. She should have known better than to accept her overbearing mother's offer to sell her
Published March 24th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fat Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Chance

Roberta
I find Finley Anderson's cheerfully covetous attitude fun to read, as she breezes through life one step ahead of the debt that plagues her. In this installment of her mystery series, Rhonda Pollero has her heroine dealing with major contractor issues in an attempt to rescue her new home from ruin. It doen't help that she has to solve a murder while withstanding the temptations of two men, hot private investigator Liam McGarrity, and her new boss; all while making sure she's dressed in the heigh ...more
The Peon
I finished the entire series of Finley Anderson Tanner books by Rhonda Pollero. This series was a VERY VERY simple read. It was a combination of Chick-Lit and Mystery…but mostly Chick-Lit, the mystery was much to be desired. The author’s writing is beginner level at best. Do not get me wrong, I read the books and enjoyed them to some degree, however the plots were sub par and unbelievable. The author would introduce a problem but often times would not resolve it. Another thing that was annoying ...more
Sandy
Fat Chance is the third installment to the Finley Anderson Tanner series. It keeps getting better and better. It's light, humorous, and most definitely entertaining. It has a bit of everything: romance, humour, chick-lit, mystery, danger, and a bunch of surprises to keep you on your toes. This time Finley's bought a home at a bargain price - but it comes at a cost. Especially as it is sold to her by her IRRITATING mother (when will she ever do something about her???). If you're a regular reader ...more
Tracey
adult mystery/chick lit. This is a quick, light read--but only if you can overlook the fact that the narrator (Finley Anderson Tanner--apparently the author is just going to use phrases with the word "FAT" in it for titles, rather than trying to come up with something that conveys any meaning about the stories within) is not nearly as clever, as funny, or as fashionable as she thinks (Tiny cherries on a print dress? How old are we--12? or 55?). The reader can also make some pretty good guesses a ...more
Kristi

The 2 Beans Worth: Yeah, go ahead and say it. Another fashionista, wannabe detective story? In a way, yes. In another way, no.

Pollero was a never-heard-of-her author before this read, but sometimes taking the chance pays off. Such is the case with Pollero. She is another author who can mix the genres and make a really readable story. Even though there's a mystery (gruesome skeleton in the closet), and Tanner's mom is a complete Capital B (Tanner even starts to think her mom is involved in the m
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I've just re-read this in anticipation of the next book, Slightly Irregular. I had actually thought this series was cancelled, so I was thrilled to see the next two books out.

I love this series - I think it's a lot of fun to read; very entertaining with a great cast of characters. Finley is an absolute idiot when it comes to personal finance, but still a hoot. Lots of interesting romantic tension, and really excellent mysteries.

Fat Chance is about a corpse Finley finds in her new 'handyman spec
Sheryl
This book is just as great as the other 2 in the series. If you haven't read them, I strongly suggest starting with those, rather than with this one, only because the characters are so great and you'll miss some of the back story if you read them out of order. However, that said, Pollero does make references to the other 2 books so you won't be totally lost if you haven't read them.

What I like so much about this series is that not only are the characters fun, but the actual mysteries themselves
Susan
Florida paralegal Finley Anderson Tanner is stunned when her cold, much-married mother demands that Finley buy a beach house on Palm Beach for way under the normal price. She can't afford it, but Finley goes for it anyway (the story of her life), only to find the interior barely salvagable, and a mummified dead body in the closet. The police are ready to write it off as an old crime, but Finley, helped by too-attractive private eye Liam McGarrity, can't dismiss the woman that easily. Tracing bac ...more
Jean Brown
This was fun read. Great characters. I laughed often at Finley's escapades. Look forward to reading more in the series.
Wende
I liked the first two books, not this one. The jokes are falling flat.
Ali Bottorff
This book had a very slow start. Turns out it is the third in a series, but nothing needed to be known from the previous two that wasn't reveled to me anyway eventually so it worked. I do like it, it was exciting, even if I figured out the ending with fifty pages or so left. It got to the point I really didn't want to put it down, which is always a plus for a book. It is not great Literature, but was a fun summer read. I will have to look for the first two and the next one as well.
Josi
I love these books. Finley is awesome.
Iowalibrarian
I liked this book, but it should have been about 50 pages shorter. I got it because it sounded like a Janet Evanovich novel, and it mostly was like one--but a little less funny.

I figured out "the mystery" pretty early, and had to wait for Finley to catch up. My other problem is that while the main character--Finley Anderson Turner--is fun, I can't identify with her. She is a little too concerned with materials things and is actually pretty lazy.
Charles Duvel
I like humorous mysteries and Fat Chance fit the bill. While the multiple ways that Rhonda Pollero's heroine Finley Tanner goes to hide her wardrobe shortcomings was not of much interest to a guy like me I have known some women that are exactly like that who would go to those same lengths. A quick breezy read without getting lost in the characters. Great for reading at the beach and will keep a smile on your face.
Jen Krastel
What a complete waste of time. The plot was pretty easy to figure out.
Enough of the clothing descriptions
Tina Axell
I love this series, and each one seems to get better. The characters are so well-developed and the storyline a great mixture of friendship, mystery, romance. Even though I figured out the clues this time well before Finley did, I still enjoyed reading to the end. What an ending! Rhonda Pollero really knows the meaning of cliffhanger, I can't wait to find out what happens next!
Kate
I am totally hooked! Love Finley, and this book redeemed the series--after the second F.A.T. mystery, I wasn't sure that this would be a series I continued to follow. I felt like this was a book that made some substantial turns with the character and the supporting characters in her life--and I like where I'm imagining the author will take Finley. I can't wait to read the next one!
Jeanette
These are just light mysteries with a dash of romance. I did figure out this mystery long before the main character and I don't normally do that. So you know it must have been very obvious. The main character is so involved with buying designer clothes that sometimes I have a hard time relating. But that all said, I really enjoy these books. They are not deep -- just fun.
Linda
Extremely lightweight, but sort of fun and quirky for a mystery/romance. I would have given it 3 stars, but there were too many plot holes, lack of in-depth characterization, and unresolved issues. The "heroine" became very annoying as she constantly complained about not being in a relationship, but kept pushing men away from her. The author is pretty darn funny, however.
Lynn
Likeable heroine, hot and helpful men, evil boss, mean girl, shopping...this one has it all. I have seen it compared to Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich's character) but frankly, I think Finley is more cerebral and likeable than Stephanie. I am about done with Stephanie Plum, but Finley is a satisfactory and refreshing female amateur sleuth to take her place.
Ann
The main character, Finley Tanner, was very hard to like or feel for. She's lazy, spoiled and unethical. But, by the end of the book, Finley's character and thinking had changed somewhat.

No person can go through life without it affecting them. That's what I enjoy reading and what I saw in this book.
Becky
This was the first I'd read of this series - got it from my mom. Even though I was coming in in the middle of the series, I enjoyed this as a fun fast read. Something to distract me from being sick. Finley is a pretty likeable character. Obviously not the next Great Work of Fiction, but a fun read.
Carrie
This one was good, Pollero really hit her stride. I liked the mystery, even though Finley seemed a bit dense about Melinda, she was fiesty and determined. It was mean of the author to leave things hanging at the end, but I suppose I understand... maybe... :)
Leslie
I didn't realize this was the 3rd in the series when I picked it off the shelves at the library. There was enough references to the first two, I really didn't feel lost. The book was good enough for me to want to read the first 2.
Steph
I've almost had enough already. It's now been 600+ pages and Finley still isn't quite with Liam. Story was quick. Not as good as the first and second ones but now I'm too invested to quit here. Fourth book- here I come.
Margarette Kramer
i couldn't put it down..just when i thought finley would go after liam, something else happened. then when i thought they were finally going to hook up, patrick shows up and the book ends.
Karen Grage
I'm really enjoying this series. I love the heroine, lover her bad habits but would love, just once, for her to stand up to her mother! Looking forward to the next installment.
Marsha
Great murder mystery with lots of twists and turns.
But constant references to designer clothes, shoes, and accessories too "gimmicky."
I really enjoyed this book and the other ones in the series. it a fun romantic novel with just enough mystery to keep you on your toes.
Valerie
Good mystery, though I sort of had it figured out. A bit too much fashion talk though a thoroughly enjoyable, yet a bit wacky, character.
  • Unplugged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #2)
  • No One Lives Twice (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #1)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery #2)
  • Killer Cocktail (Molly Forrester Mystery, #2)
  • Night of the Living Deb (Debutante Dropout, #4)
  • Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)
  • Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2)
  • One Dead Under the Cuckoo's Nest (Pauline Sokol, #3)
  • To Take Her Pride
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
  • Fatal Fortune (A Psychic Eye Mystery, #12)
Rhonda Pollero also writes under the name Kelsey Roberts.
More about Rhonda Pollero...
Knock Off (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #1) Knock 'em Dead (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #2) Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #4) Bargain Hunting Adoption Is Forever