Great Russian Short Stories

Great Russian Short Stories

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  5 reviews
From romanticism to realism, nineteenth-century Russian fiction gave the world masterworlds of the imagination from such authors as Pushkin, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Gorky, and Turgenev. This outstanding collection now allows readers to experience their themes, styles, and characters in thirteen carefully selected short stories—tales that fully reveal the quintessenti...more
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1990 by Dell Publishing Company (first published August 5th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Great Russian Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Russian Short Stories

Molly
This was my introduction to the Russian short stories of the late 19th century. I found it on my parents' bookshelves while visiting home after grad school, and needed to give my brain something fresh to chew on, so dug right in. This ancient copy (1958!) has been taped back together three times to no avail, because I keep dropping back in to visit with Pushkin, Tolstoy, and especially Chekhov. I think I might need to learn Russian so I can read the original text.
Mimi
A sampler of Russia's literary greats in one book. Opens up a whole new world of words for book lovers. And check out the first story "Queen of Spades" -- its eloquence lifts up the reader till the surprise ending.
Ragnhildur Helga
In this book, some stories are better than others of course. On the whole though, the book had a profound effect on me. I would recommend it to anyone, without doubt.
Lynn Lipinski
Really loved the last one, The Seven Who Were Hanged, by Leonid Andreyev, and Leo Tolstoy's What Men Live By.
Oumaima Rouky
All the stories are amazing but what I loved most was "A Gentle Spirit"
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Nora
Nora is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Muti Onu
Muti Onu marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Shahnaz Sheikh
Shahnaz Sheikh marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Bhanu Gc
Bhanu Gc marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Philip Seyfi
Philip Seyfi marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Tamara Pinn
Tamara Pinn marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Anis Alam
Anis Alam marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Bekristl
Bekristl marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Phil Ainsworth
Phil Ainsworth marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Walter Welle
Walter Welle marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Seeds of Modern Drama The Golden Age (Laurel Masterpieces of Continental Drama Vol. 1) But Not Forgotten: The Adventure of the University Players Moscow Rehearsals: An Account of Methods of Production in the Soviet Theatre Great Russian Plays