Start by marking “Lessons of a Lipstick Queen: Finding and Developing the Great Idea that Can Change Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
From the perfect lip stick to mergers and acquisitions, Lessons of a Lipstick Queen follows Popy King's extraordinary journey through the world of business and teaches you how to be more entrepreneurial in your own life.
If an eighteen-year-old girl's search for the ideal matte lipstick can turn into a multimillion-dollar company, anything is possible. When Poppy King fin
Published May 6th 2008 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Lessons of a Lipstick Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons of a Lipstick Queen

Andrea
Jul 22, 2008 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poppy and her fans, whoever they may be
Recommended to Andrea by: library new book shelf
Well, my goodness, Poppy sure is proud of herself! To think she started her very own business and made lots of money and she was only 18! And did she mention that she did it all on her own, and made lots of money, and was fresh out of high school? Why, yes, yes, she did - overandoverandover again. Oh, and did she mention that she just looooooves lipstick, especially her very own brand of Poppy lipstick that is just the best, and to think she did it all on her own at the tender age of 18! Woohoo! ...more
Amy
Dec 20, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly disappointed in this book for lack of unique advice and more importantly, tales of Poppy King's idea to lipstick line in retail stores that I hadn't already assumed or read in beauty magazines.

I found myself skipping to read just the "my story" portions because the advice was so unoriginal, and then even the personal tales wore on me. Do not waste your time.
Sarah Jamison
Feb 16, 2016 Sarah Jamison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lesson she meant to teach: Find your passion! Follow your dreams!

Lesson I learned: Poppy King is a super lucky dingbat who needs to shut up and get an MBA.
Yvonne Biggs
May 20, 2015 Yvonne Biggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has changed my life, helped me get a promotion in the cosmetics industry and strive to work harder! I do not like self help books- this is my exception to the rule! Easy to read and I enjoyed every page! I've read it so many times the front page is curling! I've met Poppy King..what a inspiration!
Charmaine Coombes
I enjoyed the book it was good to mix in the business advice with her journey as a "Lipstick Queen" I would have liked to read a bit more about her stories along the way these were far too short and the most enjoyable part of the book!
Ula
Nov 14, 2012 Ula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book should have been written for teens. It's really simple advice that anyone beyond a certain age doesn't need.

The author repeated over and over again how she was a teen when she started her business and made millions. She mentions it often between her business advice (25% of the book) and "My story" section (75% of the book).

I couldn't decide between two or three stars but once I got 80% done with the book I could take any more "poppy" talk. I would dislike the woman and say it was almo
Amanda
Oct 23, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, though I never managed to finish it. I liked it's rah-rah, you-go-girl encouragement, but I found it lacking in spelling out the more concrete steps one must take in launching a business. That said, Poppy is a cool girl who will undoubtedly give you jolt of inspiration just by sharing her tale. Because really, if an 18-year-old underachiever can launch a lipstick empire, why the hell can't you do something on an equally grand scale? Use this book to amp up your ambition then ...more
Rebeca
May 04, 2012 Rebeca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good and teeming with practical advice. But you get the sense Poppy King really wants to write an autobiography, just doesn't want to share the bad bits. Poppy just casually drops that she had $30,000 in seed money to start her company. All the rah rah all you need is passion basically stops right there. The best advice she gave was that to find her sources all she did was open the phone book and never compromised with quality or design. Great lessons, but not all of us are natural ...more
Kate
Jan 27, 2014 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was ok, not groundbreaking. I mainly want to learn more about the author as she makes my favourite lipstick! So it was interesting to hear her backstory. There were some good business tips but it's not exactly riveting. Could be inspiring to someone looking to start their own company though as it shows how you can start with a basic idea and build up.
Sarah Eutsler
I enjoyed some of the anecdotes Poppy provided about her personal experiences, though I wish there was a little more meat to the advice part. I feel like I almost would have preferred more of an autobiography than the mix of the two. Overall, it was an okay read, but something more for inspiration than business education.
Linnae
Aug 25, 2008 Linnae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-tales, business
Advice for taking your idea and building a company from it. Touches lightly on all aspects of running a business, from picking a business partner to marketing your product. By the way, how do you find someone to manufacture your invention? You librarians should know this: look it up in the phone book.
Cindy
Feb 08, 2010 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story (and advice) by an Australian woman who launched a successful line of lipsticks when she was only seventeen. This book would be especially good for entreprenurial teens.
Traci
Jul 27, 2008 Traci rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fix-me, library
I was under the impression that the lessons in this book would be applicable to any aspect of your life. They're not. A bit disappointing.
Addie Cole
May 18, 2008 Addie Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
poppy king is kind of my idol.

whenever I finally succeed in making cupcakes for a living, it will be partially due to her making me smarter.
Noelle
Sep 13, 2011 Noelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to start their own business
It was okay. There was some alright advice, but in the end I didn't finish the book, it didn't hold my interest enough.
Alison
Sep 28, 2011 Alison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I love lipstick and I love business books, but this one was TERRIBLE.
Rachel
Jan 20, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A timely read for me right now!
Nora Novak
how to start your own business
Shirley Forman Browning
I LOVE this book.
Siann
Siann marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Rebecca Mersiowsky
Rebecca Mersiowsky marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Tashika
Tashika marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Chanel Monet-Ware
Chanel Monet-Ware marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
32in21
32in21 marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • The Last Day: Wrath, Ruin, and Reason in the Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755
  • A Life Worth Living: A Doctor's Reflections on Illness in a High-Tech Era
  • Forties Fashion: From Siren Suits to the New Look
  • Living the Truth: Transform Your Life Through the Power of Insight and Honesty
  • Savage Garden: A Novel
  • Change Your Life in 30 Days: A Journey to Finding Your True Self
  • Beauty: The New Basics
  • Simply Glamorous: Make-up Transoformations to Make You Look and Feel Fabulous
  • Creative Time and Space: Making Room for Making Art
  • The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes
  • Say It with Presentations: How to Design and Deliver Successful Business Presentations
  • His Lady