Start by marking “The Storm Book” as Want to Read:
The Storm Book

The Storm Book

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  35 reviews
It is a day in the country,
and everthing is hot and still.
Then the hazy sky begins to shift.
Something is astir, something soundless.
Published January 15th 1989 by HarperCollins (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Storm Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Storm Book

The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFlotsam by David WiesnerMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
List for #nerdcott
292nd out of 335 books — 34 voters
The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon ScieszkaMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsStone Soup by Marcia Brown
Caldecott Honor Books
176th out of 246 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Lobstergirl
Nice, poetic text and Margaret Bloy Graham's awesome panoramic watercolors:

A hot, listless summer day gives way to storms, as experienced by a little boy in the country, a man in the city, and old fisherman at the seashore, and a shepherd and his wife in the mountains.
Paul
What a surprising treasure with such an unsuspecting title. While the text looks like narrative, it reads like poetry, and is so descriptive that it is worth reading without the illustrations. The paintings (watercolors?) are striking too and a great match for the text. The text and paintings alternate two-page spreads and this has irritated me in other books, but for this one the reading only built anticipation for the coming illustration, not unlike the anticipation building for the coming sto ...more
Snorkle
What I loved most about this book was the author's imagery. She could paint a picture with words, and have it still be understandable to children. The way she described the scenery around the farm and the way the rain pummeled down from the sky was lovely. I enjoyed reading this book and would definitely recommend it.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Makenzie
In the fiction, picture book The Storm Book Zolotow gives us a day in the country when everything is hot and still and suddenly a storm hits. Using onomatopoeia and other figurative language, she shows us that every storm runs out of rain and good things can happen from crazy weather. A small boy is looking the landscape over on a hot summer's day when the first indications of a storm appear. He runs home and in his mother's understanding company experiences his first thunder storm. There are fl ...more
Monica
Would have been more enjoyable for the young ones if the pictures were on the same pages as the reading. Throughout the entire book, they have to wait for two pages of reading before turning for the accompanying picture.
Shannon Kitchen
Lyrical text mixed with beautiful illustrations. Just a nice story.
Dolly
Nov 09, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book offers a look at a strong summer storm in different environments. The narrative alternates with two-page color illustrations that depict the scene that was just described.

The story is filled with alliteration and is fun to read aloud. We enjoyed reading this book together.

interesting quotes:

"The air is clean and fresh, and smells of wet earth and growing things." (p. 28)

"And she slipped her arm around him so gently he didn't notice, as he watched the beautiful sunlit colors arching ov
Jenny
This story has beautiful language..."In the mountains the rain comes down like a waterfall. Each crash of thunder sounds as though the rocks of the mountains were splitting apart, but each flash of lightning shows them solid and quiet against the sky." The story just describes a storm, and it is not a fast paced story...but the language was very descriptive. My children loved the sound effects of the storm throughout the book. The illustrations were detailed and matched the descriptive language ...more
Patricia
What a surprise and treasure. I picked up this book at a library discarded book sale. It had "storm" in the title and we are looking for supplemental books for our 6th grade IDU on weather. The surprise...it is a Caldecott Honor book, so I can read for this class as well as to my class. This in one that has so much in it beyond what you might at first notice. The narrative text kept sixth graders' attention when I was reading aloud. The diagrams of tornados, hail forming, and fronts moving were ...more
Heather
An inquisitive little boy experiences a fierce storm in this evocatively descriptive picture book. The pages alternate between text and 2-page spreads of full color illustrations. As the story opens, Zolotow's eloquent narrative depicts the intense heat and stillness of a summer day just prior to a storm, with heat "quivering up like a mist from the earth," limp, dusty flowers, and animals seeking relief from the rising temperatures. "Even the birds seem too hot to sing," which gives an unusual ...more
Lorna
1953 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: The opening of the book before the storm even starts when the boy is stretched out in the field.

Favorite line: "Shooting through the sky like a streak of starlight comes a flash so beautiful, so fast, that the boy barely has time to see the flowers straining into the storm wind."

Kid-appeal: I think kids will either be in the "like it" or "don't like it" camp. The illustrations are rendered on to two pages with no text. All the text that describes that i
Eva Kelly
This shows what happens in all these different places when it rains. You know, you'd think that the mountain one would be my favorite, but actually I liked the city one best.
I like the way there were lots of words on one page and then the picture on the next, so you could look at the picture without the words getting in the way.
Erica
Love the words separated from the pictures. It makes the pictures much more enjoyable. The kids really enjoyed it.
Tnb
boring, very boring. the pictures were not even that great so i am bewildered at the awards for this book
Nancy Neff
Would have been good for second grade yesterday when they were studying storms!
Elizabeth Theobald
My kid really enjoyed me reading this book to him
Hillvan
NC1030L
Samantha
A chronicle of a storm and all its components, and what it looks like over land and water. This almost reads like 2 different books. The text apears in 2 page spreads and is followed by a 2 page spread of illustrations. It challenges the reader to imagine the scene before the illustrator's vision is given to them on the folowing 2 pages. The wordless pictures could stand alone and tell a wordless tale of the evolution of a rainstorm. Text is decriptive and poetic. Must read/see.
Lafcadio
I found the format of this book to be distracting, and I couldn't picture myself reading this to a child. The imagery described by the text is vivid, and the illustrations make excellent use of watercolor to depict tormented skies, but you can never look at the pictures and read the text at the same time.

In order to read this picture book to a child, one would need two copies of the book...
Becky B
A storm sweeps over the country, city, sea, and mountains as people watch in wonder.

Zolotow's writing is certainly lyrical and will help readers be able to mentally picture the storm, but some of the science part of this (particularly the cause of thunder) is not accurate. The illustrations have a certain antique charm. Read it for the entertainment not the science.
Brooke
My kids were mesmerized by this story. I didn't think the long pages filled with text only would hold my littlest ones but they didn't move a muscle and listened through it all. Every other page has a full page picture layout and then the next page is text only. They all agreed that it was a very cozy book.
Bree
Notes:
description of a storm moving in and out of the farm area
lots of text on 2 pgs alternated with illustration on 2 pgs
kids use imagination while listening, then study pictures
longer book, good for age 6+
Heather
We love this book. The story and illustrations take me back to childhood. The kids beg me to read this everytime they're sick. It's one of their all time favorites.
Brindi
1953 Caldecott Honor

The illustrations were so lovely I wanted more. I like how quite/loud are contrasted together in every scene and section of text.
Sam
Really beautiful prose and lovely illustrations.
Bethany
this was given to me by my preschool teacher, who I loved. great mood and illustrations.
Andd Becker
This Caldecott Honor book illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham is lovely.
Eireanne
On the suggested summer reading list for students.
Mckinley
Feel the storm rising...
Caldecott honor
  • 1 Is One
  • Fly High, Fly Low (50th Anniversary ed.)
  • The Moon Jumpers
  • The Wave
  • Nothing At All
  • Journey Cake, Ho!
  • The Treasure
Charlotte Zolotow (born Charlotte Gertrude Shapiro) was an American author, poet, editor, and publisher of many books for children.
She was published by more than 20 different houses (many of which she has outlasted). She was an editor, and later publisher, at Harper & Row, which was called Harper & Brothers when she began to work there and is now known as HarperCollins.
Among the many write
More about Charlotte Zolotow...
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present William's Doll When the Wind Stops Big Sister and Little Sister The Seashore Book