Start by marking “Fantasy in Death (In Death, #30)” as Want to Read:
Fantasy in Death (In Death, #30)

Fantasy in Death (In Death #30)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  11,895 ratings  ·  703 reviews
Bart Minnock, founder of the computer gaming giant U-Play, enters his private room, and eagerly can’t wait to lose himself in an imaginary world, to take on the role of a sword-wielding warrior king, in his company’s latest top-secret project, Fantastical.
The next morning, he is found in the same locked room, in a pool of blood, his head separated from his body. It is the
Audio CD, Unabridged, 12 pages
Published February 23rd 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fantasy in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantasy in Death

This, my fellow Eve and Rourke fans, is the the beginning of the end. Not in a horrible, "OMG, this series has totally gone downhill" but in the slow, beautiful way stories about couples come to a resolution. As Roberts says in the video on this page, people grow and change - Eve has had made amazing personal and emotional leaps from the first In Death novel and Rourke has been right beside her. "Fantasy" shows what happens when that growth starts to pay off. The entire time I was reading "Fanta ...more
Felicia
Mrs. Badass
4.5 stars.

What a wicked frosty book :P

It was more police procedural than epiphany of Eve and Roarkes relationship, we don't see as much Feeney, and no Charles and Louise (still on honeymoon) A short scene with Mavis and Nadine, but it's still an interesting read.

Some of Peabody's lines really cracked me up. I enjoy Peabody and Eve's dynamic.

I was glad to see the usual banter was back, I felt it was missing in Kindred, but that could have been because of the case itself, a sixteen year olds Rap
Flannery
Can someone really say that a plot felt formulaic when it is the THIRTIETH book in a series? I don’t really think so. *facepalm* Okay, well we’re back with badass Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her Irish billionaire stud of a husband, Roarke. This time, Dallas and Peabody are doing their thang in the homicide-detecting world and the victim in one of the founders of a video game design company. Normally, Nora Roberts/JD Robb is rather informative about the occupations of her characters and we get tons ...more
Lynsey A
Another wonderful In Death book by J.D. Robb. This story was an interesting concept and definitely kept me entertained. I spent the whole day reading this story. The "who dun it" was kind of easy to figure out but it didn't take away from enjoying the novel. I liked the epilogue too.

The imagery Robb brings to these stories was evident in this new story. I could imagine Eve and Peabody sparring verbally (all in fun) with each other and saw it all in my mind. It never fails that the back and fort
Vanessa
Aug 01, 2011 Vanessa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Nora Roberts Fan and those who like a strong female cop or detective character.
Okay, I really loved this latest installment. A lot of the secondary figures were included. It had a lot of great humor, and Eve seems to be mellowing some as she reflects on friendships and other personal matters. There was actually less sex in this one, and more romance. Eve and Roarke share a lot more intimacy, and it wasn't overdone.

The mystery was interesting and kind of techie, but since my daughter is a fiend for video games, I found that part interesting. It also gave Feeney and McNab a
William Bentrim
Fantasy in Death by J. D. Robb

The not too distant future is the setting for Lt. Eve Dallas and her adventures. The entire series I have read so far is focused on homicide and the mystery that surrounds each murder. This book focuses on rpg. (role playing games) A group of loveable geeks is on the verge of paramount geekieness when they are beset with foul play.

Bart Minnock’s murder strikes a chord with Dallas, I suspect due to his naïve disposition and his vague similarity to Roarke. Roarke, on
Darcy
Another great story with Eve, Roarke, and company!! This time around the crime is an unusual one. A gamer guy is killed in his locked holo room with no breeches. Looks like we might finally have a murder that stumps Eve. With the nature of the crime Eve brings Roarke in right away to help and as always things don't go smoothly between them. The nature of this crime has Eve looking deeper at her life and the relationships she has built in her life in the past couple of years. Eve seems a little s ...more
Bigd_041555
Not being a real "gamer" myself, I still thoroughly enjoyed this book. The bantering between Dallas and Peabody was just hilarious at the first of the book - all about ginnies and penis's - laughed out loud (again) during this scene!

Love the scene where Eve slaps Peabody up the side of her head about her comment about Roarke - way too funny!

Roarke and Eve having a little "spat" made for a tense moment or two - finally Roarke came to his senses :)

Like this book more each time I read it - a killer
Jo
30th in the series. As anyone who follows me knows, I love this series. I don’t really connect with the books the author writes as Nora Roberts, but I love the characters and the character development in this series by J.D. Robb. While the last book in the series focused more on the crime, than on character development, this installment shows a lot of Eve’s growth as a wife and as a friend. Some of Eve and Roarke’s discussions about their relationship positively melted my heart (to the point whe ...more
Sarah Stegall
"Fantasy in Death" returns to the exploitation of scientific ignorance we saw in "Purity in Death". This time, it's a game developer found dead in a locked room, who was playing a computer game at the time. Once again, a metaphor is misunderstood: Robb treats "virtual reality" as if the emphasis were on the second half of that phrase, not the first. "Virtual reality" is not reality, light does not follow the physics she lays down, and her solution to this locked-room mystery is about as implausi ...more
Reen
I'm not a gamer myself but I still really enjoyed this book. Interesting story even though the concept doesn't really compute and I had it down to two suspects and then one but Robb still kept me second guessing myself. Peabody and McNab and their trip to the Gamers Fan show was hilarious. So was Eve and Peabody's penis discussion. Indulgence in Death is next!
Thenia
Another bizarre case for Eve, who manages to get to the truth with the help of her team.

The secondary characters are great, especially Peabody who is hilarious and adds an element of comic relief to the story, while Roarke plays the role of "superb manflesh", to quote Trina, to perfection.

Eve has grown a lot as a character throughout the books, but she remains an excellent detective. I look forward to her next case in Indulgence in Death.
Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~

This one simply did not work for me because I have absolutely no interest in video games/gaming technology. As much as I tried, even the magic of my favorite series couldn't pull me into a storyline where fantasy gaming was the focus. If it weren't for the series staples (fabulous characters, witty dialogue, and tying in history from previous books) being firmly in place Fantasy in Death would have only gotten 2 stars.

So on to the next..........a little disappointed but certain my faith in the s
Caz Malpas
3.5 - 4 FRIENDS TO THE END STARS!

If memory serves me right this is only the second book of the amazing In Death series that I haven't rated a solid 4 and above stars. I still really enjoyed it, but unfortunately the stortline focused on and around a subject that doesn't float my boat (me being technically challenged in all aspects of the gaming stuff!).
However Peabody, Nadine, Feeney, McNabb and the rest of Eve's newfound family more than made up it!

Roarke....?
Well it goes without saying he nev
Dreamer
Virtual Reality - Holographic Games - Real Play 5 stars

Eve Dallas never fails to amaze me. Her quest to find justice for her victim at all cost has always made me love her. In this book, she goes all out to find the killer who'd kill without a thought and leave devastation behind his havoc.

The story unfolds from the point when the leader of the U-Play goes home to play the latest game in development and comes out the other side dead. He's death does not make sense because there's no clue as to
Alli
Connie
it gets a five because it's still my favorite series. and i love how she cranks them out for me.

however...i'm not sure what's up...is someone helping her crank them out? or have the last few installments been off the track a little? not sure, but the banter conversation was a lot better in this one than the last few. there were more humorous moment when they're working the case and getting on each other's nerves...which is how they're supposed to be with each other.

and i love observing the deepe
Tina
" I didn't do anything!"

"Is that so? Maybe Bart would disagree. Maybe he'd have a little something to say about that. If he wasn't dead." She flipped open the file, spilled the crime scene photos out. "But it's a little hard to get the words out when your head's across the floor from the rest of you."

Roland took one look at the photos, went a very pale green. He said, fairly clearly: "Gah." then his eyes rolled up white as he slid to the floor.

"Well, shit." Eve blew out a breath and fisted her
LJ
First Sentence: While swords of lightning slashed and stabbed murderously across the scarred shield of sky, Bart Minnock whistled his way home for the last time.

U-Play is a fast-rising gaming company with a quartet of co-owners. One of them takes the disk home for a game in development, and literally loses his head over it. Lt. Eve Dallas is faced with a locked-room mystery where she and her team have to find out not only who did it, but how it was done.

Reading Robb has always been one of my gui
Diane
Fantasy in Death, a futuristic murder mystery about a death resulting from a vid game, becomes a game itself as Detective Eve Dallas has to face a deadly foe in a game that's stacked against her. J.D. Robb's Eve Dallas mysteries are delicious to read, even for non-science nuts. I happen to love anything Star Trekky, so I love these books. What I really like about the series is that Robb is able build a futuristic galaxy through the invention of language, clothing, transportation, and the other a ...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Almost to the end of the currently published books. Then what series will I use to fill the empty spaces? Slightly apprehensive about my prospects. One more and then not another until February? The first 30 have flown by.

Anyway, this installment in the In Death series makes a deep foray into hard science fiction territory. SF is one of the distinguishing characteristics of this series. I must applaud Ms. Robb/Roberts for her restraint in her use of technology to always be the answer. It would be
Chena
I love visiting with Eve Dallas and the gang and this time was no different. Dallas and her trusty sidekick, Peabody, are called to the scene of a gruesome murder of an e-whiz who has been beheaded. The case proves to be tricky from the start as the man was all alone and no one had entered his apartment. The crime seems to be flawless at first and puzzles the entire NYPSD. It's when Dallas starts to think "outside the box" that the plot starts to fall apart. The "why" and "how " of the crime is ...more
Vivian Archer
She'd just been trying to shield him a little. Wasn't that her job, too? she thought in disgust as she rose. Part of the marriage deal? So why were they fighting when she'd done her job?
And now she had to do the damn dishes, which she'd fully intended to dump on him.
She gathered them up as she scowled at the door he'd closed between their offices, and the red light above it that indicated he'd gone private.
(p. 107)

This is the second in the series that I've read and enormously pleased that I
Kate
I read the "In Death" series for a bit of brainless fun, but it shouldn't be this brainless. As a sci fi geek, I found this book predictable and kind of boring. By page 20 I was pretty sure I knew what had happened, which is very unusual for me since I actively try to avoid solving the mystery so I can just enjoy the ride. I only finished the book make sure I was right before I complained too hard. I was right. When a romance author writes a mystery with a heavy sci fi theme, the result is a plo ...more
Purlewe
An installment in brain candy, since I am not so good with focus these past few days.

A decent installment. Gamers wanting to make the game real? Always sends a chill down my spine. (2 part episode of Luther scared the pants off me.) Something about making the imaginary real with added killing sends me down the paths of both: Yes, More and Holy Crap.

I like these characters. I like this plotline. And having 30 books to jump in and out of? really fantastic. One day I will have to figure out which I
Kristin
I only gave this one 3 stars. I love J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts and have read all of them but I just felt like the characters I love were missing from this one. I love Eve and Roarke, but I also love Mavis, Sommerset, Peabody, McNab, Mira, etc.

It was a good mystery that I didn't figure out whodunnit until 3/4's of the way through, but it felt like what makes these books so enjoyable was missing.

I picked up the first in the series way back before anyone knew who J.D Robb was and it didn't matter be
Tiffany
This was not my favorite In Death book. Parts were surprisingly slow. More importantly, the characters involved in the homocide weren't well-developed. I never knew Bart well-enough to care that he had been killed, and the suspects were almost as flat. The resolution of the investigation seemed both obvious and improbable at the same time.

The thing that bothered me most, though, was that the core characters felt off. After 30 books, we as readers know these characters intimately. Dialogue rang u
Angela James
Let's face it, these In Death books are my crack. I will probably never quit them and really, why would I want to? They're not bad for me! Whenever I finish an In Death book, I find myself sighing and wondering if it's time for the next one to release yet. I know we're lucky to get 2 a year, given how prolific the author is, but I'd be happy with one every 3 months. I can't get enough of them. Even when they're not the best books ever, they're still better than many of the books I've read. They ...more
Katie Reus
Great addition to the series!
J.D. Robb : Fantasy In Death (Spoiler Zone) 36 109 Jan 23, 2014 12:44PM
Goodreads Librari...: Publish Date Missing [Fantasy in Death] 2 12 Mar 25, 2013 12:28PM
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Hot Target (Troubleshooters, #8)
  • Hot Rocks
  • The Interludes (In the company of shadows, #3)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Armed & Dangerous (Cut & Run, #5)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“Do you think the penis ever gets tired?"

Whose?

Anybody's. I mean anybody with one. Does the penis ever just think: for God's sake pal, give it a rest? Or is it all: Woo-who!! Here we go again!”
160 likes