Desperate Pastors' Wives

Desperate Pastors' Wives

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Four pastors' wives. All desperate for something.

Is it possible that their desperation will lead to hope?

Mimi, Lisa, Jennifer, and Felicia all live in the fishbowl of Red River, Ohio. Everyone expects something from them. Gourmet casseroles. Perfect husbands. Well-behaved children. They expect even more of themselves.

The constant demands and always-ringing phones are...more
Published March 20th 2007 by Howard Books (first published 2007)

Ruth
Jennifer needs faith, Felicia needs fulfillment, Lisa needs love, and Mimi needs peace. The stress and pressure of being pastors' wives has driven these four women, all from different denominational and family backgrounds, to form a supportive fellowship where they can freely vent their frustrations and encourage one another. Every other week they "escape" to LuLu's Café, forty miles from their hometown, to secretly share their stories and seek a brief respite from living in the ministry "fishbo...more
Ruth Everhart
Being a clergywoman myself, I was curious about this perspective on women who are married to clergy. I found it to be surprisingly well written and engaging. The format of women meeting at Lulus Cafe is a good way to engage 4 different personalities -- think Sex and the City without Sex and without the City!
Shannon
I liked this really well...you can tell it was written by Christians, unlike a similarly titled book I read recently. The women in this book love the Lord but have real struggles. I am not a pastor's wife.
T.M.
Wonderful book. Each character deals with what every person does. Peace. Doubt. Infertility (for some folks). Insecurity. Themes we all understand.
Sally906

Mimi, Felicia, Jennifer and Lisa all live in Red River, Ohio. They are also all the wives of Pastors from different Christian denominations. Once a month on a Tuesday they secretly escape to the next town and have lunch together at Lulu's Cafe. They are a support group as no one can understand the problems they have, except another pastor' wife. The four women use some very unorthodox methods to solve their problems, proving that God really does move in mysterious ways. There are tears, anguish...more
Kirsten
Written with a conversational/gossip tone, the book was very enteraining and a real eye opener. I never really thought about what the pressures of being a pastors' wife is like until I read this book. Just because your husband has a calling to minister, doesn't mean that you do as well, but you need to stand by your husbands' side and act a certain way because that is what the church expects. This was a good book and I now look at my own pastor's wife with very different eyes!
Charity
WONDERFUL book written from the point of view of 4 different pastors wives with all of their individual struggles with their husband's role in ministry, their role at his side, their career, the pressure they are under and scrutiny as a pastors wife, the career-driven, the perfection-driven...all come to the place where they see they aren't perfect, cannot be and letting God heal their pain and falling in love all over again.
Linda Searby
This book is recommended for anyone who has been or is a pastor's wife or anyone who wants to understand the reality of life in a pastor's home!! Since I was a pastor's wife for 25 years, I totally identified with these four young pastor's wives who met every week in a nearby town to have lunch and commiserate with each other. This is fiction but it sure could be true! Funny, too!
Raelynn
Four pastor's wives form a friendship in a sleepy midwest town where their husbands minister. To avoid the "fish bowl" existences they endure in their hometown, the ladies travel to the out-of-the way refuge of Lulu's cafe. Once there, they nosh, rant, confess, laugh, and cry over issues such as infertility, parenting, career, and love.
Elaine
(book, novel)
a. This book is the first in the “Secrets from Lulu’s Café” series. It centers around the lives of pastors’ wives. The women meet regularly at Lulu’s Café to unwind and fill each other in on what’s going on in their lives, from trouble to victories. 4 STARS

Jennifer Gentry
I loved this book! I wasn't sure what I would think about it, but I absolutely LOVED it. There were many times the authors had me in tears over the desperation of the characters and the various trials they faced. Any book that can make me cry is a good one, for sure!
Alison Isbell
This book was really good. It gave the reader a look into what goes on in the lives of four different pastor's wives and how they coped with everyday life and being a pastor's wife. I enjoyed getting to know all four women.
Bebemiqui Bolt
Aug 19, 2007 Bebemiqui Bolt rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pw's
Shelves: neutralfiction
A little bit of encouragement and truth wrapped up in mediocre writing. A lot of it seemed too light and contrived. But hey, if it helps you lighten up in your role as a PW, then its done its job.
Monica
I enjoyed this the second time around as much as the first. Felt like I needed to read it again, to remind myself that I have it pretty easy!
Jen
This book was co-written by my mentor Christy Scannell! It's worth the read! It's a very enjoyable, easy read with a bit of a twist! A series of 3!
Laura Bland
I found myself reflected in the lives of these Pastors' Wives. Yet, there is so much more. Enjoyed the read.
Jessica
This was a real eye opener. I never really thought about how tough it would be being a pastor's wife. Good book!
Crystal
Hard to put down. I liked it. Definitely understand the struggle to be truly authentic as a pastor's wife.
Andria
Love this series, wish it were longer...actually lent it to my pastor's wife for a laugh.
Sarita
a lttle slow so far but not bad - reading it for my book club!
Melissa
Four pastors' wives meet for support.
Loretta
I enjoyed reading this book!!
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sherry
Sherry is currently reading it
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Matter of Wife & Death Katt's in the Cradle: A Secrets from Lulu's Cafe Novel Secrets from Lulu's Caf: A Matter of Wife & Death