Start by marking “Rörliga bilder (Skivvärlden, #10)” as Want to Read:
Rörliga bilder (Skivvärlden, #10)

Rörliga bilder (Discworld #10)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  48,069 Ratings  ·  978 Reviews
Köp en påse pangade korn och sätt er till rätta i fåtöljerna! För nu blir det Rörliga Bilder!
I ett hål i den alltid lika sköra väv av verklighet som omger Skivvärlden har Drömmen smugit sig in, Drömmen om den vita duken och stjärnor som lever för en dag - eller i evighet.
Alkemisterna kom på hur man gjorde - människornas fantasi bidrog med resten. Men skapade man ett Monste
Published March 1st 1999 by Wahlströms (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Rörliga bilder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rörliga bilder

Lyn
Feb 18, 2017 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This most Lovecraftian of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books (this being number TEN and first published in 1990) Moving Pictures, as a title of course makes me think of Rush’s brilliant 1981 album of the same name (Pratchett even makes droll word play just as in Rush’s cover art).

Like so many of Sir Terry’s Discworld adventures, he liberally sprinkles popular and cultural references throughout and besides the ubiquitous Lovecraft allusions, he also turns The Camera Eye to a Philip K. Dick referen
Megan Baxter
I wasn't under the weather this time, and again, I enjoyed, but didn't love it! Maybe I should just save the Terry Pratchetts for times when I'm sick. It's a weird quirk. Or maybe it's just that I love the Watch books, but haven't fallen for the rest of the universe quite so hard.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 Tfitoby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Holy Wood. To pass the time quickly, you just film the clock hands moving fast... but when it's being written by Terry Pratchett why would you want to?

Moving Pictures, Pratchett's Discworld parody of Hollywood, appeals to me a great deal purely as a cinephile and wannabe film maker but as it's Pratchett it's also brilliant and brilliantly funny filled with wicked caricatures and wonderful characters, and of course evil puns aplenty.

In this must-read episode you get to know more about the
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 09, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm stingy with my 5 star ratings and considered going with a 4 here, but I really enjoyed this read. It is hilarious. From Trolls who don't want to get "type cast" (I played a troll who runs out and hits him with a rock) to a talking wonder dog who can't get noticed because he's too "scruffy" the cliches of the movies get very skewered. Everyone is headed to (the?)"Holy Wood" to be a star. And of course as we all know, moving pictures or, "the clicks" can effect the fabric of reality.

Sir Terry
Melki
Dec 14, 2012 Melki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who'd want to spend their time moving pictures? Most of them looked alright where they were.

A shady sausage vendor and a student of wizardry head to Holy Wood for fame and fortune in the early days of the Discworld film industry. Hey, kids! Let's put on a show! Sounds like wholesome family entertainment, does it not?

Well...since this sprang from the mind of Terry Pratchett, expect chaos and devastation, licentious landladies, mass hysteria, dogs and cats sharing conversations...

S-o-o-o-o...in a
YouKneeK
This is my least favorite Discworld book so far. I think this is mainly because I didn’t find the story appealing at all. The characters were ok, and I really liked Gaspode the talking dog, but I was bored by the story.

At the beginning of the book, an old man living alone in a remote area called Holy Wood dies. After his death, strange things start happening and some alchemists develop the concept of “moving pictures” which become hugely popular. People travel en masse to Holy Wood (I trust you
Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-satire
David Sarkies
May 13, 2013 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Discworld goes to Hollywood
21 May 2013

I must admit that this was not one of my favourite of Pratchett's books but I suspect that if I end up reading it again, the score might go up and the review may change, however we are getting to a point where maybe the best of Pratchett's Discword content is behind him and he is exploring other avenues to try and get a laugh. Okay, Pratchett does more than try to get a laugh, and in a way it is sort of like the Simpsons where Pratchett uses a fantasy world
Nathan
Part 10 of the Complete Discworld Reread

Wow, what a slog. When I started this reread I was wondering how a couple of those I had ignored would read a second time around, with “Moving Pictures” being my biggest fear. On this occasion my memory was correct, this may be the weakest Pratchett book until the football one released a few years back.

Now don’t get me wrong, even a bad Pratchett book is worth reading, and this wasn’t a complete waste of time. As per the usual, some of the humor hits hard
Rob
Jan 12, 2017 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: After being pretty s0-so on Eric, I really enjoyed this one a lot. It's right up there with Guards! Guards! I'd say.

Full Review
It's been awhile since my last Discworld read. A lot longer than I had realized. I had been planning to read a book every other month or so. I'm stubbornly determined to read the books in publication order, and I'm finding some of these early books uneven.

That's not the case with this book. I really enjoyed it a lot. It might be that I'm huge movie f
Celise
Oct 07, 2016 Celise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, owned-read

Holy Wood. The alchemists on the Discworld discover the magic of motion pictures! This novel parodies the creation of film, and the developments it went through in the first thirty or so years of its existence. Gone With the Wind fans might find a lot of Easter eggs in he
J.G. Keely
I have a lot of friends who swear by Pratchett, but I found him rather dull. I tried reading the first book in the series, but I couldn't finish it. A friend suggested this as one of his better outings, so I bit.

He seems to harp on the most obvious jokes, extending one-note gags into paragraphs, chapters, or even whole books. I found that out of every ten jokes, one would make me laugh and nine would make me groan and roll my eyes. Really not a good rate of return.

His world-building is passable,
Ashley
This book was very disappointing. Usually I have no trouble retaining interest in a Terry Pratchett/Discworld novel, but this one I had to force myself to finish.

I think my problem with it is that it's too literal. What I love about Pratchett's writing most of the time is how he manages to mock things scathingly while at the same time making wonderful (and more general) loving comments about humanity. By following such a narrow path as he did in this book (with the straight on Hollywood/Holy Wo
Chris
Given a choice between books and movies, many people - myself included - will say that books are always better than movies. "You can use your imagination," we'll say, "drawing on the powers of the human mind to create things that manifestly are not real. You can decide for yourself what the scenes look like and how the characters appear, rather than have some director feed his or her vision over yours."

Despite that, however, we all still love the movies. If you gave me a novelization of Casablan
Matt
Feb 26, 2015 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reluctantly rate this first Discworld novel I read 3 stars. I figure there are others in this long series that are better, and probably some are worse. I just have no base for comparison, and I may raise the rating later.

I also can't judge the characters and plot with regards to the other books. Is Cut-me-own-Throat Dibbler a major character in the series? Will I read about Victor and Ginger again? Are the wizards of the Unseen University always the same? (I suppose they are, but I cannot tell
Mary Catelli
Aug 20, 2013 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy, humor
The tenth Discworld. Kinda stand-alone. The Unseen University and the Patrician feature in ways to that connect to earlier stories, but the main characters and their tale stand-alone. Those who read the series will see him forcibly adjusting the world-building because he didn't really like the set-up he had given it at first.

But an old man dies and realizes too late that he had not trained a successor to continue lighting the ritual fire. And things start to happen as not quite real things seep
Roviragrao
Oct 10, 2012 Roviragrao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relecturas
(Relectura Mundodisco #10)

¿Cómo sería el cine en el Mundodisco? Nos encontramos ante la primera de las novelas independientes del Mundodisco, aunque los magos tienen bastante presencia. Pratchett consigue integrar la historia del cine y los mitos hollywoodienses en su mundo, que amenaza con quebrarse ante tanta magia y grandiosidad.

No es una de las mejores novelas del Mundodisco... pero es divertidísima. Ankh-Morpork vuelve a ser protagonista, Y-Voy-A-La-Ruina Escurridizo gana presencia y conoc
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I didn't think there would be a boring Discworld book. Hopefully, this one would be the last of its kind.
Kathy Davie
Sep 06, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, funny, satire
Tenth in the overall Discworld fantastically satirical series and first in the Industrial Revolution subseries. The focus pokes fun at Hollywood. If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Discworld books on my website.

My Take
Only Pratchett could pull the magic of our Hollywood into Discworld and make it work, revealing the truth!!, lol.

Nothing is sacred to Pratchett, from people who don't get jokes, old farts reminiscing about their days when they never…, students who prefer
Kate
Apr 05, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis from Google Books:

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of
May 29, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving Pictures is the first in the so-called "Industrial Revolution" line of discworld novels. It was published in 1990, the same year as Eric, and is a wonderful satire on Hollywood and the film industry.
Main characters in this story are Victor Tugelbend, who devised a very intelligent system to fail exams at Unseen University "good enough" not to be thrown out, and Theda 'Ginger' Withel, who just wants to be herself, as big as possible. They are both drawn away from their day-to-day lives by
Kua
Mar 15, 2012 Kua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, b-top
Dopo aver letto l'ennesimo libro di Pratchett (ok ok sono solo tre finora, ma aumenteranno!), mi è sorta spontanea una domanda: come diavolo è possibile che nessuno abbia ancora trasformato i suoi libri in film??? Sono praticamente perfetti per essere trasposti sul grande schermo, gli ingredienti ci sono tutti: humor, spessore, trame imprevedibili, colpi di scena... E allora come mai sono uscite solo poche produzioni per la televisione? Questa è una cosa che proprio non mi spiego. Ma passiamo al ...more
Wiebke (1book1review)
This is another perfect example of how Pratchett uses the discworld to question our own world and the things we do.

Moving pictures is all about the introduction of movies to the discworld and how it entrances everyone and changes peoples perception of their selves and the influence the new technoogy and media has on society.
Of course it wouldn't be a discworld novel if Holy Wood (the area the moving pictures are home to) didn't have its own agenda and ideas for the world.

I highly recommend this
Jamie
Apr 17, 2009 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett is the first of his Diskworld novels to make me go "Meh..." The idea is that an evil spirit breaks lose and starts putting ideas in people's heads that give birth to the creation of motion pictures, or "clicks" on the Disk. It's got enough good lines, jokes, and parodies to make it entertaining, but the whole Hollywood lampoon seems so out of place on the Diskworld that I found it really distracting and jarring. Indeed, Pratchett seems to anticipate this reacti ...more
Marilag
Feb 27, 2010 Marilag rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'd think, after the beginning humor, you'd expect most of the jokes would die out. It can't get any funnier than the previous funny, can it? What a load of cabbages. Things could get funnier, and the ratio of laughter volume over gradual page turns increased by leaps and bounds. I don't know how on earth I managed to survive over 20 years without having read any of the Discworld books until recently (The Truth was my first).

Pratchett shows his mastery not only with writing fiction, but he ext
Octavia Cade
A distinctly average Discworld outing, really only notable for the introduction of Detritus the troll, soon-to-be member of the City Watch and one of my eventual favourites though he's not much to write home about here.

It's clever, as Pratchett always is, but I think what this book lacks for me - in comparison to many of the other Discworld books - is some sort of emotional centre. In that sense, it's closer to the early Rincewind books than it is to the witches or the City Watch or the Tiffany
Natalie
Hollywood comes to the Discworld.

We have the introduction of Ponder Stibbons, Gaspode, and Archchancellor Ridcully. And the Bursar isn't mad yet. The Librarian, Dibbler, and Detritus play supporting roles, and we also see the other wizards (including Windle Poons), Death, the Patrician, and Nobby Nobbs and Sgt Colon.
Carol
May 01, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hollywood dreams... and it dreams big!
I gotta say, it was fantastic seeing how Pratchett gave life to Hollywood itself, setting up a town in the middle of nowhere, were it's always sunny and you are just... not yourself.
Amazing! I read this a while ago in Spanish and decided to reread it for an Scifi essay I had to write during my Master's.
I didn't remember it to be this funny.
Penelope  ~Conversations with my cat~
I really liked this book! I loved the little references of other movies in it.
David
Oct 04, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Perhaps not Sir Pratchett's finest novel but the rollicking grand finale / set-piece is a block-buster!
Terry Pratchett Fans: Group Read: Moving Pictures 9 26 Jul 14, 2016 08:03AM
Goodreads Librari...: [SOLVED] Book with data issues 3 16 May 08, 2016 09:18PM
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Dead Funny: Flying Dutch and Faust Among Equals
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

“The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.” 1112 likes
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.” 718 likes