Start by marking “Best Music Writing 2008” as Want to Read:
Best Music Writing 2008

Best Music Writing 2008 (Da Capo Best Music Writing)

The ninth entry in the acclaimed series celebrating the best writing on every style of music, from rock to hip-hop, R&B to jazz, pop to blues, and more.

Best music writing is the definitive guide to the year in music writing, an annual feast of essays, missives, and musings on every musical style by critics, novelists, and musicians themselves. Culled from publications

Published October 20th 2008 by Da Capo Press (first published September 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Best Music Writing 2008, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Music Writing 2008

Lucia
May 24, 2011 Lucia added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lucia by: series recommended by Nate
Shelves: unfinished
I told my brother this week, "I'm pretty sure I have no use for, and no interest in, music reviews and/or criticism."
As a musician, writer, and voracious reader he recommended this series.
So I gave it a try, with high hopes.

Yuck! I have no use for it.
I'm so not the target audience that I won't give it a star rating.

I think I'd be interested to read about musicians I already love; interviews, biography and such... but that's it. And I could potentially enjoy it via film, with audio clips and suc
Dane Despres
Completely underwhelmed by this. I had high hopes, to be fair, that this would be a collection of probing, playful musical and musical-cultural criticism. Mostly, though, it's artist profiles and popcultural trainspotting. Don't get me wrong, most of the articles are engaging and thorough, but there's little here that struck me as particularly artful or intellectual. Minor note: the number of typos in the text is distracting.

Faves:
"Dead Man Talking: 'Kurt Cobain: About a Son': A New Experimental
Jesse
Aug 16, 2008 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The usual stellar mix of good music writing. There are a few bummers (an unnecessarily long oral history of the band Mandrill), but mostly an eclectic mix of top flight essays, memoirs, profiles, zeitgeist-pondering think pieces, etc.. Loved Eric Pape's piece on music in the Republic of Congo, Jeff Sharlet's Lee Hays bio, Marke B's hilariously bitchy story about trends in gay music, and a bunch of others. Nelson George is particularly good at ordering the entries, which thread together solidly.
Ben Bush
I mostly have thought of these "Best of" anthologies as pretty painfully square but this one was both a pleasure to read and chock full of insight. Also, I don't usually gripe about lack of copy editing but this seemed like it was rushed to the printers without a lot of oversight. Typos and spell check-type mistakes so frequent as to merit comment. Overall, kudos to Nelson George on making the rather dry "Best of" series feel lively, engaging and important.
Rachel
Jan 21, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shit, man! Sasha Frere-Jones of The New Yorker got "pimp slapped" (I don't think I even approve of using that phrase, but there it is), and HARD, and if you want to know about it, you have to read this book. Or at the very least, the first essay in it.
Curt
Apr 05, 2009 Curt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all Best Essays collections, a mixed bag. Bits on Sly Stone's repeated not-quite comebacks and the Pitchfork indie-band-of-week were great; others...well, it's easy to skip ahead. An ideal book for the subway commute.
Steve
Dec 02, 2009 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
didn't quite read every essay, but there are some great ones on wu-tang, sly and the family stone, and daptone records
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2009
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2009
sshhaauunn
sshhaauunn rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2010
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2010
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2009
Jamil
Jamil rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2009
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2009
Nadoal
Nadoal rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2010
Chriskolak
Chriskolak rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Travis Heller
Travis Heller rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2010
Rebecca McKillip
Rebecca McKillip rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2009
C. Michael
C. Michael rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2011
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2009
Michael-Patrick Harrington
Michael-Patrick Harrington rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
heidi mo
heidi mo rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2009
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2009
Courtru
Courtru rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Jazz Monroe
Jazz Monroe rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Amelie
Amelie rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2010
D
D rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2009
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2010
Andy Grabia
Andy Grabia rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2010
Nelson George is an author, filmmaker, television producer, and critic with a long career in analyzing and presenting the diverse elements of African-American culture.

Queen Latifah won the Golden Globe for playing the lead in his directorial debut, the HBO movie 'Life Support'. The critically acclaimed drama looked at the effects of HIV on a troubled black family in his native Brooklyn, New York.
More about Nelson George...

Da Capo Best Music Writing (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Da Capo Best Music Writing 2000