Start by marking “Three Men Seeking Monsters: Six Weeks in Pursuit of Werewolves, Lake Monsters, Giant Cats, Ghostly Devil Dogs, and Ape-Men” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  118 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
They sought out the strange.
They investigated the inexplicable.
They had one hell of a hangover.

On an odyssey of oddities that would take them all to the very limits of their imagination (and inebriation), bestselling author Nick Redfern teamed up with professional monster-hunters Jonathan Downes and Richard Freeman. For six weeks in the summer of 2001, the intrepid-yet
Published March 24th 2004 by Pocket Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Three Men Seeking Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Men Seeking Monsters

Dee Bitner
Ever since I read this book, Scribd has said "Since you liked this, you might like..." and listed books. Every time I see that, I keep thinking "'Like' is such a strong word for how I feel..."

It's not that Three Men Seeking Monsters is a bad book. It's fun, it's playful, and Redfern clearly doesn't mind poking fun at his friends when they earn it. At the same time, there was more drinking in this book than in The Great Gatsby and more eating than The Hobbit. I was less than thrilled about the wa
Charles Kos
Jan 12, 2016 Charles Kos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent entertainment!

There is something highly poetic about these three characters, a bit of a flawed self-sabotage in drinking while investigating.

Nick's writing style is a little dry.

They meet an old witch who tries to educate them, then hurls curses. They explore the great mansion of some notable, who allows the access to his library, etc. Explore his dungeons, etc.

They never find anything until the surprise at the end, which is a bit of a Deux Ex Machina that saves the book from lack
Jami
Jun 17, 2015 Jami rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trash
This book is stupid to the extreme. Only anti-vaxxer nonsense is worse than this.

Let me spoil it for you. Three men, drunk all the time (and openly admitting to it) travel all over looking for various cryptids. And of course, because they're drunk to the point where they're likely to hallucinate, the find them! The author ends up with the fundamentalist "Christian" conclusion that all aliens, Big Foot, Nessie, etc are demons out for our eternal souls. Though from the way these three drink, their
Robert Bennett
This wasn't an awful book but the description is pretty misleading. It is really more a description of three decidedly odd Brits who take a road trip to drink and, incidentally, do a very cursory investigation of some local legends.

Not creepy at all and more humor than horror but not in a particularly great way. If you can find the book for a good price it's worth a read but I wouldn't ever be likely to read it again and I'm a voracious re-reader.

The book just didn't seem to click with me on any
Joseph
Aug 21, 2012 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immensely readable in a very pulpy sort of way.

First off, don't read this book for deep meaning or understanding about the mysteries of Fortean Zoology. This is Nick Redfern writing for himself. Nick is naive in a very good-natured sort of way, who believes wholeheartedly in conspiracies and paranormal explanations for even some of his most mundane experiences.

This is a story of three friends who share a love for the unknown and unexplained, who decide to take a one and done trip throughout Eng
Emily
May 28, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were several parts of this book that were laugh-out-loud funny and a couple that were scary enough to made me move to a well-lit room with other people. The whole premise of the book, that our world is inhabited by Cormons - demons from another dimension- that appear to us as phantom cats, Bigfoot, sea monsters and ape-men and feed on our fear, is really creepy. Really, really creepy. However, the fact that the three sat down to a breakfast of eggs, bacon and sliced tomatoes is pointless a ...more
Justin William McLoughlin
Extremely fun romp through the weird world of potentially real monsters. Nick Redfern writes with humour and understanding of the people and places involved.
James Bowman
Fun and highly entertaining account of three eccentric paranormal investigators' search for the unknown across the UK.
D.J.
Jul 23, 2015 D.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Gave up halfway through. I don't know how a book about three guys chasing monsters becomes tedious, but it really, truly was.
Amanda O'dell
Feb 11, 2009 Amanda O'dell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone intrigued by the occult or cryptozoology
A humorous and very earnest (if not scientific) account of three guys who backpack across England, investigating various paranormal stories. It's been years since I read it, but the story about the witch still stands out in my head as being thoroughly creepy.
David Bales
A weird journey from a frequent contributor to Fortean Times who travels around Britain looking for "monsters", aliens, anomalous big cats and "other" strange things, but mostly just sits in a pub with his mates getting hammered.
Rob Addams
Sep 16, 2012 Rob Addams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! A fascinating tale of three blokes travelling around the UK in search of, well, monsters. The author explains the journey in depth which allows you to really immerse yourself in their six week trip.
Colin Ward
Feb 13, 2015 Colin Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books ever, makes you laugh one minute, then sends shivers down your spine the next.

Makes me want to get out there and find out what it really is that goes bump in the night!
Gina Sandoval
Sep 12, 2011 Gina Sandoval rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read and real quick. It's a humorous book filled with interesting bits of lore and myths, or truths possible depending how you look at it.
Faith Bicknell-Brown
This one is good, but not as good as his others. It moved slowly and dealt more with his friends, imho, than it did searching for monsters.
Nadine
May 20, 2012 Nadine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected, but very funny parts. Boy they like to drink alot :)
Cole Bellon
Mar 12, 2012 Cole Bellon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is funny, intriguing and spooky. Lots of fun!
Michael
May 22, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious and compelling.
Zeke
Zeke rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
James Lovecraft
James Lovecraft rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Bendisiana
Bendisiana marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Trevor
Trevor added it
Jun 07, 2016
shelia hoyt
shelia hoyt marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
A.E. Howe
A.E. Howe rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
RENEE J. NELSON
RENEE J. NELSON marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Brian Moreau
Brian Moreau rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
  • Secret Life: Firsthand, Documented Accounts of Ufo Abductions
  • PSI Spies: The True Story of America's Psychic Warfare Program
  • Gods of Eden
  • Revelations
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • UFOs for the 21st Century Mind: A Fresh Guide to an Ancient Mystery
  • The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks
  • The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever
  • Witnessed: The True Story of the Brooklyn Bridge UFO Abductions
  • Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters
  • The Custodians: Beyond Abduction
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Secrets of Antigravity Propulsion: Tesla, UFOs, and Classified Aerospace Technology
  • Forbidden Gates: How Genetics, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Synthetic Biology, Nanotechnology, and Human Enhancement Herald The Dawn Of TechnoDimensional Spiritual Warfare
5612029
Nick Redfern is a British best-selling author, Ufologist and Cryptozoologist who has been an active advocate of official disclosure, and has worked to uncover thousands of pages of previously-classified Royal Air Force, Air Ministry and Ministry of Defence files on UFOs dating from the Second World War from the Public Record Office.

He has has appeared on a variety of television programmes in the
More about Nick Redfern...