Start by marking “Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)” as Want to Read:
Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)

Die Trying (Jack Reacher #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  72,385 Ratings  ·  3,318 Reviews
When a mysterious woman is kidnapped by a politically motivated fringe group and taken to their compound, Jack Reacher must help her escape with her life—from the inside out...
Published May 3rd 2005 by Berkley Trade (first published July 20th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Die Trying, please sign up.

Laura She is the U. S. President's goddaughter.

Kemper
Since I despised the first Jack Reacher novel Killing Floor you may be wondering why I read this second entry in this series. It’s all Tom Cruise’s fault.

Yeah, I know the Reacher fans were generally unhappy with Tiny Tom being cast as their hero who is supposed to be 6’5”, but I actually enjoyed the movie adaptation Jack Reacher quite a bit. Believe it or not a big chunk of the credit goes to Cruise who managed to convey the cocky arrogance needed while making it entertaining instead of over the
Supratim
May 22, 2017 Supratim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Once again I accompany Jack Reacher, ex-military policeman-turned-drifter, in his adventure. Die Trying is the second book in the series and here Reacher has gone to Chicago. He tries to help a young, attractive woman struggling on crutches with her laundry. In return for his courtesy he gets kidnapped along with the woman. The woman, Holly, claims to be a FBI and there are other interesting facts about her which would revealed as the story progresses.

In case you don’t know who Reacher is – he i
Alp
Jun 23, 2016 Alp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Get a problem, solve a problem,” he said. “That’s my rule.”

This was a winner!

I can wholeheartedly say that this book totally went above and beyond my expectations. It is a brilliant and intense mystery/thriller story with tons of action and several heart-stopping moments. If compared to the first book in the series, the plot is more complex and the characters have more depth. Surprisingly good! I can’t remember the last time I felt like my heart was going to burst from excitement while readin
James
So, this time Jack Reacher is captured by some Waco style militia group. They've also captured a, coincidentally beautiful, FBI agent with a sports injury. Together they must escape, trust each other, fall a little bit in love, foil the bad guys, and maybe have a little bit of nookie on the way...

In fact coincidence is the key word in this novel, coincidence and cliché. Frankly there's way too much of them both throughout. The novel wavered between a 2-star and a 3-star for me. On the one hand t
Jim
Mar 03, 2012 Jim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I really enjoyed the first Jack Reacher novel, Killing Floor, but this second attempt was utter bilge. From a ridiculous opening set-up, the novel descends into a mixture of adolescent fantasy, incredible happenstance, laughable set pieces and ridiculous plot twists. On the other hand, it says something about Lee Child as a writer in that he very nearly gets away with it, because much as I was groaning at how amateur the whole thing seemed, I kept reading, almost to the end. Almost. I gave up wh ...more
Harry
Jul 02, 2012 Harry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to add the same review for all of the Reacher series, so if you've read this one, you've read 'em all. If you feel a certain affinity for the lone hero, a man of principle, of unwavering knowledge and assent as to his own actions, than Jack Reacher's your kinda guy.

Lee Child has created an unforgettable and unique character in his creation of Jack Reacher. Jack seems to implicitly understand that he is a unique animal/human running around on this planet and that in spite of social con
Jim
I tried & kept giving Child the benefit of the doubt, but just can't take it any more. Child has some great overall plots, interesting places & characters. He really got my hopes up with this one. The FBI part is well done. It's a shame they are all ruined by making Reacher a super hero in human form. Child never passes up any opportunity to make Reacher 'look good', but it keeps backfiring.

My breaking point came in a horse barn. (view spoiler)
James Thane
In this, his second outing, ex-Army Major Jack Reacher is minding his own business, walking past a dry cleaning shop in Chicago, when an attractive young woman emerges from the shop with nine bags of expensive clothes, a bad knee, and a crutch. She drops the crutch and Reacher jumps to her assistance. In the same moment, two armed kidnappers materialize and order Reacher and the woman into a waiting car.

As any crime fiction reader understands by now, Reacher could take these two thugs with no pr
Donna
May 21, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Whew. After reading a few pages at a time for a couple of weeks, I finally got sucked into the vortex of Die Trying and lost most of a weekend finishing it. The reason it took me so long to really commit to it was that I was afraid—really afraid—of what might happen next. And yet, of course, I had to find out.

One nice thing about vicarious suspense is that, no matter what may befall the characters, the reader almost always survives.

As usual with books by Lee Child, I learned a great deal about t
Amy
Sep 09, 2011 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was so bad. I started out really enjoying this series, but I'm losing interest. It's disappointing.

The storyline was interesting with unique twists and turns but the minutiae was lame. Like having a love scene just after Holly & Reacher discover the dead body of the FBI spy who was discovered and was basically crucified by the 'bad guys'. It was tasteless and tacky. Plus, then when Holly is finally rescued from being kidnapped, instead of running to her Dad first she runs to Reacher. Th
Stuart
Jun 17, 2014 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If you go down to the woods today...you are in for a BIG surprise"

Die Trying improves on some of my issues with the previous instalment, though there are also some downsides. Which is a good thing, as hopefully those issues will be improved later in the series. I whizzed through this book. I took the father to a game of cricket (please note I'm not a fan... of... very... slow... sports). But it gave me a chance to finish this novel, BOOM.

Jack's just taking a leisurely walk downtown Chicago, a
Josh
Nov 13, 2012 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, let me get this off my chest, this is a very good novel, very, very good. We're talking Ian Fleming good. But there are two problems, though from the look of other reviews this might be a personal problem rather than a literary one. Decide for yourselves.
The first problem is that Jack Reacher is billed as being a Arnold Schwarzenegger type character, a modern Conan the Barbarian (the novels not the movies, the literary version is very different to the film portrayals) or even Bernard Cornw
Richard
Oct 17, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7.5/10

A much better effort than the first novel, Killing Floor, which flows better overall due to the change in style from first person to third person and has a more interesting plot because of it. Not only that, but the fact that it was in the third person allowed for longer sentences, some even had more than 5 words in them. The author was making huge steps in that regard.

By no means was this a tour de force, it was a generic airport read if you will. Easy to get into, easy to read, easy to f
Mike (the Paladin)
I started the Reacher (as everyone calls Jack, Reacher) books a while back and have since picked up one now and then. I watched the movie a while back and decided I'd start to 'try" and catch up with the series.

This one was (for me) the weakest so far. That said it is the second in the series so I live in hope that the books will get better. Here the plot is rather weak and as always there's a certain implausibility about Reacher altogether.

The book does deliver on the action as that's sort of t
Rizwan
Oct 25, 2012 Rizwan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good overall, not great or superb by any means. After Killing Floor's complete first person narrative, I didn't much care for the always shifting third person narration from multitude of viewpoints. And that's another thing, there were way too many characters who shared the same amount of space and focus, so much so that Jack Reacher himself had almost gotten reduced to a supporting character in his own series!

The first half was good, but as we discover our main antagonists and what's ha
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Better than the first book, which I found slow. This one wasn't slow, much more engaging.

Jack Reacher helps an injured woman carry her dry cleaning and is kidnapped along with her by wannabe militiamen. They're held hostage by these men and it's up to Jack to figure out how to escape.

The villain in this book was a fanatic who was described as resembling to Pilsbury Doughboy. At least that's how I pictured him, but with a wannabe leader persona that was mixing up the crazy koolaid.

The main lad
Arielle Walker
I'm trying to convince my boyfriend that reading is not boring, pointless, or just plain stupid, and so I'm on a quest to find him things to read that might change his mind. I have a feeling he may like Jack Reacher, so I'm going to re-read the series I think, just to make sure.

It's a tricky business - if I give him a book that doesn't beat his expectations, he may not make another attempt. I have to tread carefully.

Oh, and I can hear you thinking "why would you start with Die Trying, it's not
Johnny Williams
Aug 11, 2012 Johnny Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Reacher is at again-- as Lee Child continues to develop this charactoer the more I like him. The quintessential American hero is taking shape-- and is almost a superman-- with every human trick up his sleeve--
Child gives a lot of facts in his novel as well --- most certainly ballistics and weaponry -- he makes some attempt at a love story but it is more of a hero worship love affair -- surrounded by his near super-heroic antics--
still ya got a love a good action book and this one is nothin
Ithlilian
Nov 25, 2011 Ithlilian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The Reacher books overuse the words "right" and "ok." Seriously, it is extremely annoying. Go get the notebook ok? He looks like he's mad right? Every other piece of dialogue has the words "right" or "ok." Other than that, these books are decent. Typical action based shoot em up style books. Reacher is a badass and doesn't follow whatever rules or laws you have in place to govern your society. He's a loner, and doesn't like to be in any place for more than a few days. As far as I could tell from ...more
Elahe
Jan 25, 2017 Elahe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
اگر قتلگاه رو دوست داشتین این کتاب رو هم دوست خواهید داشت.
در کل کتاب خوبی بود. مثل کتاب قبل پر از جزییات و توصیفات دقیق. اما فرقش با قتلگاه این بود که راوی اول شخص نبود. نگاه کردن به داستان از دید جک ریچر خیلی جالب تر بود. تحلیل های ریچر بدون واسطه زبانی منتقل میشد و دقیقا همون چیزی بود که تو ذهنش می گذشت. اما تو این کتاب باید صبر می کردم تا توضیح بده چرا هر کاری رو انجام می ده. این اولین چیزی بود که در مورد "تا پای مرگ" تو ذوقم زد.
مسئله بعدی این بود که مدتیه بی حوصله شدم برای کتاب خوندن. این
Pamela
Mar 11, 2010 Pamela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While I found this book entertaining, I remember now why I hadn't picked it up sooner -- because I read the first book in the series and didn't care for it much. I find the writing style annoying. The choppy sentence fragments are bad enough. The long strings of descriptive synonyms just about drove me spare. In an industry which pays by the word, I can't believe some editor did not put her foot down and cut out some of those redundant descriptors. The characters also all seem mildly retarded be ...more
Sandeep
Mar 03, 2017 Sandeep rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shit load of coincidences and an uninteresting storyline. Not half as good as the first Reacher novel (Killíng Floor) I read.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2), Lee Child, Lee Child
عنوان: تا پای مرگ - کتاب 02 - از سری جک ریچر؛ نویسنده: لی چایلد؛ مترجم: محمد عباس آبادی؛ ویراستار: گودرز پایکوب؛ تهران، تندیس، 1393؛ در 559 ص؛ شابک: 9786001821301؛
تا پای مرگ؛ دومین کتاب از تریلر با محوریت شخصیت «جک ریچر» است به قلم لی چایلد. جک ریچر در زیر آفتاب دلپذیر شیکاگو قدم میزند، که زنی عصا به دست به همراه مقداری لباس از یک خشکشویی بیرون میآید. ریچر برای کمک به سمت او میرود؛ اما ناگهان، افرادی آن دو را گروگان گرفته، داخل یک کامیون میانداز
Avnish
Jun 05, 2017 Avnish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack reacher , the wanderer , gets into a wrong situation at wrong time while trying to help a injured lady with her clothes and is kidnapped along with her to militia group who want to revolt against america, what follows is a intense action thriller with a dash of romance and politics . The first half was really interesting , but the story drags in between but a good book to read overall.
The barn scene with peter , holly and reacher was the highlight for me .
Jane Stewart
Fun, escapist entertainment, exciting adventure, mostly action and suspense. Rambo and Die Hard fans should like this.

STORY BRIEF:
A group of neo-Nazi militants in Montana plan to attack something in America. They kidnap Holly off the street in Chicago. Holly is an FBI agent. Jack happens to be walking by when the kidnapping occurs, and the bad guys take him as well. Holly and Jack are tied up in the back of a van and being transported to Montana.

Jack was a major in the military police for 13 yea
Karen
May 23, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this immediately following the first novel in the series, Killing Floor. The first thing I noticed was the first person narrative of the first book was gone. What became apparent the more I read was that Lee Child’s sophomore effort suffers because of it. The short, choppy writing style felt natural written in the first person. It fit Jack Reacher’s character perfectly. From a third person perspective it comes across, well, short and choppy. And annoying. All the characters speak in the s ...more
Tara Gabor
Aug 29, 2012 Tara Gabor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am Jack Reacher's newest fan. My mother has read all of the books, so I am lagging behind, but having heard her speak about the character so often, I decided to try Lee Child's short story, "Deep Down". I was hooked Jack Reacher is a cross between 007, a Texas Ranger, and Dr. Kimble. He is loveable but deadly. After finishing the short story, I eagerly consumed the first two novels. Jack Reacher appears to always find himself at the wrong place at the wrong time. He is misunderstood by authori ...more
Panagiotis
Aug 04, 2016 Panagiotis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Δεν ήμουν ο ίδιος αναγνώστης που διάβασε το πρώτο του βιβλίο και ενθουσιάστηκε ή όντως ήταν τόσο κακό το βιβλίο; Νομίζω το δεύτερο. Η τριβή μου με τα βιβλία μου έχει δώσει μια μικρή θωράκιση από τις αναγνωστικές περιστάσεις. Το γούστο μου δεν είναι έρμαιο των ανέμων.

Βαρετό, δίχως καθόλου αγωνία, με έναν Τζακ Ρίτσερ μουντρούχο και βαρύ. Δεν υπάρχουν οι έξυπνες ατάκες του πρώτου, δεν υπάρχει ο ρυθμός του. Η υπόθεση είναι βαλτωμένη και, αν και στηρίζεται σε μια ενδιαφέρουσα ιδέα, τελικά ξεθωριάζει
 Marla
3.75 stars. Great premise, gang kidnapped just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but Jack Reacher isn't a bad guy to have with you in a tight spot. Holly Johnson sounds like a cool, tough agent.

In some ways, I liked this story better than the first one. Jack Reacher is one of the only series that I listen to, even though it's good enough to read!

Likes:
* Multiple story lines depicting actions in 3 different places
* FBI Agent Holly Johnson being smart, tough, well-dressed, pretty and
Jaime
Feb 16, 2017 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am late to the Jack Reacher series but I sure am glad I started it. This book was good, not great. There was a lot going on which made it hard for me to keep the story together. However, I really like the Jack Reacher character and I am looking forward to the next book.
Why is Dick Hill not narrating this audio book???? 25 444 Jun 07, 2017 08:19PM
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Covers - Die Trying 3 16 Jan 09, 2016 01:26AM
First person vs. third person 14 196 Oct 12, 2015 09:51AM
Jack Reacher 12 70 Feb 21, 2015 09:45PM
  • Stalking the Angel (Elvis Cole, #2)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Hush Money (Spenser, #26)
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain, #2)
  • Black Light (Bob Lee Swagger, #2)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Infernal (Repairman Jack, #9)
  • Broken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #16)
  • Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2)
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more
More about Lee Child...

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)
  • Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher, #11)

“I had a teacher once, grade school somewhere. Philippines, I think, because she always wore a big white hat. So it was somewhere hot. I was always twice the size of the other kids, and she used to say to me: count to ten before you get mad, Reacher. And I've counted way past ten on this one. Way past.” 48 likes
“People, Reacher was certain about. Dogs were different. People had freedom of choice. If a man or a woman ran snarling toward him, they did so because they chose to. They were asking for whatever they got. His response was their problem. But dogs were different. No free will. Easily misled. It raised an ethical problem. Shooting a dog because it had been induced to do something unwise was not the sort of thing Reacher wanted to do.” 31 likes