Start by marking “The Grumpy Morning” as Want to Read:

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The Grumpy Morning
Published March 1st 1999 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Grumpy Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grumpy Morning

Jade Detzer
The Grumpy Morning is a great book to use for learning animal sounds as well as rhyming. The animals are all grumpy because their farmer has not gotten out of bed to feed them. This book can also be used to teach about responsibility and how to be a dependable person as well as how breakfast is a vital part of the morning and it is important to eat something when you wake up in order to start your day off in a great mood!
Sandra Strange
This picture book is aimed at the younger readers (1-3) with barnyard creatures making their characteristic noises to communicate their grumpiness because they needed to be fed. Then the female farmer is awakened by a friendly moth, feeds each animal, and the grumpiness is over. It's cute, with fun, clear illustrations, so the very youngest can identify each animal and review their characteristic sounds--twice.
Megan Sutherland
The animals on the farm are hungry. When will the farmer wake up and feed them?
Deserae
This is fun way to teach children about rhyming words and responsibility, if you have made a commitment to do something it is important that you keep that commitment because you want to be considered a dependable person. Growing up I knew that if I wanted an education I would get up at 4 a.m and make my 5 o'clock bus to get to school on time and that was a commitment I made to myself and my educators and I also valued that commitment. School has been wonderful for me and I can share my experienc ...more
Sabrina Henry
This book is about some animals being noisy and grumpy in the morning as they complain about their needs, etc. As their master got up to feed them and calm them down, everything changed and they were not complaining anymore.
The story was humorous and the storyline is beautiful and easy to be understood. This picture book has bright, colorful and funny illustrations. This book can be used to encourage children to dramatize or make the sounds of the animals.
Lindsay
All the farm animals wake up on the proverbial wrong side of the bed. Simple rhyming couplets and animal sounds make this a versatile book. The final pages switch from "them" to "us" which is a bit confusing. Otherwise, another great storytime title found on the farm.
Kelly Thevenot
The Grumpy Morning is a cute children's book about animals on the farm. The animals are grumpy because their farm owner has not got out of bed yet to feed them and they are hungry. This would be a good way to teach children that if you skip breakfast it can make you grumpy and your brains will not work to learn anything. The animals are finally happy after she feeds them.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
This is about a farmer who overslept and her animals were upset and were not having a good morning. The cows wanted to go for there walk, the dog wanted breakfast and the goats wanted to eat oats. The animals decided to pay her a visit to wake her up. She got up and pretended like she did not oversleep and tend to her animals normally.
Lori Smith
Great book for introducing farm animals and the sounds they make. This book is also a fun way to discuss rhyme. The farm animals are grumpy because they have not been fed breakfast. This could be used to discuss breakfast being the most important meal of the day.
Christy
A good book for kindergarten and first graders. This is the story about how all of the animals on the farm wake up one morning and how they all have something to say; They want to be fed!!! The farmer overslept and every animal is grumpy!
Colleen
This book has a short read aloud story with lots of animals sounds and is one of the only books I can find where the animals are a mix of genders. At the end the farmer is female, defying our strongly set stereotype!
Danie P.
Adorable story about grumpy, whiny farm animals. They wake up in a bad bad mood until Farmer reminds them how to be happy by showing them some love.

Great for preschool and toddler storytimes.
Christine Levinge
This book is a fun farm animal story. This would be a great interactive read, as the teacher can prompt the children to participate in all of the different animal sounds.
Alyce Dougan
The Grumpy Morning is about morning time on the farm and the animals are all ready to be fed. The book was easy to follow and rhymed. Young children will like it.
Crissy
The illustrations were cute, I liked the rhyme and rythm of the writing, but the title should have been the HUNGRY morning, not the grumoy morning.
Megan Rowland
The book is engaging becuse it rhymes and is about animals. I would be able to read this book in a language arts lesson because of the rhyming.
Ahmad Worthy
I like this book because it introduced different farm animals to the children. It also used rhyming words to keep the children interest.
Kelly
Great little book about farm animals. It contains all of the sounds they make and the book rhymes. I could use this in a Pre-K classroom.
Katie Beck
I enjoyed reading this book. I think that it is a great book to teach children about farm animals and about ryhming words.
Kimberly Entrekin
Rhyming words. I could use this book in the classroom for children to identify words that rhyme. Use it as part of a lesson plan.
Tricia
Jan 21, 2008 Tricia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: three year old storytime
rhyming read a loud with lots of animal sounds/voices. three year olds.
Sara Brand
this is a good book about how your mood can affect others
Melissa Allen
Melissa Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Maryanne Tran
Maryanne Tran marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • Farm Flu
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • Old Black Fly
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
  • Kiss Kiss! (Mini Edition)
  • Windblown
  • Dini Dinosaur
  • Flossie and the Fox
  • Bunnies on Ice
  • Counting Crocodiles
Pamela Duncan Edwards grew up in northern England and moved to the United States several years ago with her husband and two sons. She has lived in the Washington, D.C. area ever since. Her father wrote children’s stories for magazines in England and his love of children’s literature was a huge influence on her. Pamela taught preschool for eleven years in England before becoming a children’s librar ...more
More about Pamela Duncan Edwards...
Dinorella: A Prehistoric Fairytale Some Smug Slug Roar!: A Noisy Counting Book Princess Pigtoria And The Pea While The World Is Sleeping