Start by marking “Prophecy and Change (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)” as Want to Read:
Prophecy and Change (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Prophecy and Change (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Love and Hate. Faith and Doubt. Guilt and Innocence. Peace and War. Few television series have embraced this symphony of contradictions on the epic scale of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine." From the vastness of space to the darkest depths of the soul, from the clash of empires to the struggles of conscience, from the crossroads of a galaxy to the convergence of hearts -- that ...more
Published September 23rd 2003 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Prophecy and Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prophecy and Change

Lexie
Its hard for me to write a review about Star Trek, or anything tied into it, objectively. From 1987 to 2001, I watched some form of Trek on TV with my father on a weekly basis. From The Next Generation to Voyager my formidable years were shaped by those shows and the ideals. My dad will often lament the fact I remember DS9 the greatest since its darker tone and more cynical view of Roddenberry's 'future' in turn seemed to influence my sarcastic, cynical nature. That void though in my fannish lif ...more
Daniel Kukwa
May 14, 2016 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Everything that is wonderful about Deep Space Nine is distilled within the stories found in this beautiful collection. No "Star Trek" series ever displayed the intensity that DS9 possessed; the battles, the drama, the character depth, even the humour...all combined to create something special. Ahead of its time yet timeless -- something best said about both DS9 the series, and this celebratory short story collection.
Tony Laplume
Aug 12, 2013 Tony Laplume rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the material in this Deep Space Nine tenth anniversary collection is pretty typical Pocket Books Star Trek fiction.

That being said, the last two stories are well worth talking about. Una McCormack, who later wrote the brilliant Never-Ending Sacrifice, writes the first one, which tackles a few key characters from one of the closing moments of the series as they attempt to grapple with the drastically changed fortunes of their lives (that's the running theme of the whole collection, but it
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 25, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deep Space Nine Fans
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Gerri's Gift? Shoreleave Gift Bag?
This is an anthology of ten longish stories focusing on the characters of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine set from right after the pilot episode "Emissary" to well after the end of the series in the aftermath of the Dominion War. I find that Star Trek pro-fiction can be rather hit or miss--and at first I thought this would be a miss. Editors usually choose their strongest story to open an anthology, hoping those taking a look will be pulled in. I wasn't taken with Summer's "Ha'mara" and left it think ...more
Adam
Jan 31, 2017 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I assume that most readers are picking this book up hoping to find some meaning to their lives after finishing all of DS9 in an incredible feat of binge watching.

Further, I assume that many of those readers are looking for Andrew J Robinson's "The Calling", a rare case of an actor competently writing the further adventures of a character they portrayed. If you've read Robinson's novel, "A Stitch In Time", you'll probably love this story. If you haven't, find a copy then come back for this.

But
Carlissa
Jun 15, 2016 Carlissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
This is a wonderful collection of 11 stories from Star Trek Deep Space Nine covering all seven seasons and beyond. The list of stories contained in this anthology, along with my notes on each story, is listed below:

Revisited Part 1 - this is basically the beginning of the show called The Visitor -5 stars
Ha'mara by Kevin G. Summers - excellent story which takes place soon after Opaka tells Sisko that he's the Emissary. Sisko and Kira are lost in the catacombs after a bomb explodes while they are
Julia
This collection of short stories about characters in the “DS9” 'verse written by professional writers has better and lesser stories. “Ha’ mara” by Kevin G. Summers is set immediately following “The Emissary” on Bajor. Sisko, Kira and two children are trapped in caves under Ashalla monastery. In “The Orb of Opportunity” by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels Kai Winn asks 14 year old Nog to open a safe containing a Bajoran orb. This adventure leads Nog to question whether profit is his motivator ...more
Mark
Nov 26, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Of the various Star Trek television series that have aired over the years, my favorite is Deep Space Nine. Unlike the rest, this series had an engaging backstory, intrigue, and a little mysticism thrown in for good measure. I was disappointed when the series ended, but evidently others feel the same way. A host of authors have continued the DS9 saga in print and this collection of short stories features their work. Read it.

Of particular interest are the stories by Andrew J. Robinson, the actor w
SmokingMirror
May 16, 2014 SmokingMirror rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-cardassia
Wow.

Great anthology for a media related collection. Especially recommended are the stories by McCormack and by Robinson.

McCormack's story really drew me in emotionally, perhaps because the way to my heart is through books, and a book plays an important role in this story.

Robinson's story, great as it is, bewilders me a bit. I don't really comprehend what the Vinculum is; it might be mostly incomprehensible, something experienced in a non-analytical way. All the stuff about the Hebitians, ancien
Angela
Apr 22, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of short stories based at different times in the series. These are all character based plots that work really well. There's even a Garak one written by the actor. My favourites were the Quark finding himself with help from his ex-wife the Klingon, and Jake Sisko the journalist. A very good read. Well worth it if you are a fan of the series as it plugs gaps, like how Julian and Miles became friends again after that incident. A very good read.
Jay
Oct 18, 2008 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkers, people homesick for DS9
Shelves: science-fiction
Anthology of stories intertwined with the canon of DS9. I find this anthology much more readable than many of the novels because the stories are shorter and more directly tied to the worlds we already know. The stories are new and exciting, but yet familiar.
The framing with "The Visitor" was a logical and brilliant way to introduce these stories, with a twist at the end.
The Fizza
I picked this up at the Library after a re-watch of Deep Space Nine made me wistful for that corner of the Star Trek Universe. I was pleasantly delighted by it and I'd recommend it to any fan of DS9 as a fun read!
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat uneven but ultimately accomplished anthology. Some really good stuff in this one, stories that needed to be told. I would have liked to have seen a continuation to the episode "Hard Times," though...
Nicole
Jan 25, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed these short stories and loved delving back into the world of DS9!!!
Ryan
Mar 28, 2013 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good anthology, but the Garak storyline depends on you having seen the STAGE play that the actor wrote. I couldn't find any version of this written, so it can be rather confusing.
Daniel Paton
Daniel Paton rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Bookboy
Bookboy rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Jens
Jens rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Fayd Eaton
Fayd Eaton rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2009
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Tish
Tish rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Debra Cook
Debra Cook rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Travis Anderson
Travis Anderson rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Raul Herrero
Raul Herrero rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Trevor
Trevor rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add author names to anthologies 1 15 Aug 11, 2013 07:22PM
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Heart of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #17)
  • Vengeance (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #22)
  • Far Beyond the Stars
  • Station Rage (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #13)
  • The 34th Rule
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Emissary