Start by marking “The Greatest Generation Speaks” as Want to Read:
The Greatest Generation Speaks

The Greatest Generation Speaks

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,174 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
"I first began to appreciate fully all we owed the World War II generation while I was covering the fortieth and fiftieth anniversaries of D-Day for NBC News. When I wrote in The Greatest Generation about the men and women who came out of the Depression, who won great victories and made lasting sacrifices in World War II and then returned home to begin building the world w ...more
Published March 8th 2000 by Random House (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Generation Speaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest Generation Speaks

Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book and it had me in tears. I believe my grandfather's generation was truly the greatest generation of the past 3-5 generations. I wish that the current Generation Y were more concerned about what is going on around the world with Islam's war on the rest of the world and had concern about this rather than the latest cell phone or video game. This WWII generation sacrificed a lot and I am grateful for it.
Jaclynn
Oct 16, 2010 Jaclynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Excellent read, filled with letters from those who lived and fought during the Depression and WW2 time. Divided into sections for easier reading.
I appreciated the author taking the time to compose all of this into a book so we could experience (in a way) the lives of our grandparents, to know the sacrifices they made, maybe things they didn't or couldn't talk about to us in person.
Jeff Brateman
Dec 04, 2015 Jeff Brateman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some pretty good stories, and some narration by Tom Brokaw himself in the Audio book, made this a pretty good read. The stories were grouped together in some coherent fashion. For me, the groupings made it a bit boring hearing a similar story back-to-back, but others may like this format. I suppose it would have made sense to read The Greatest Generation first, as this book references that one over and over.
Chris
This short book is moving, heartwarming, and inspirational. Easy to read, and very helpful for understanding what American people went through during WWII.

It's told as a series of vignettes, through letters and personal recollections of people that lived and fought in that time.

It's so important that we don't forget the sacrifices they made, how America and the world changed forever after the war, what was lost, and what was won.
Samantha
Jan 01, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This book is in response to Tom Brokaw's first book- The Greatest Generation.
It's basically a compliation of letters, stories, and reflections of lives forever changed by war.
Eighty year old Clarence M. Graham, recounts his harrowing experience as a soldier captured by the Japanese -- and provides a gripping eyewitness account of the dropping of the atomic bomb;
Patricia Matthews Dorph, a soldier's daughter, shares the love letters her parents exchanged during the war, a lasting legacy of pas
Chris
Feb 16, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate the fact that Mr. Brokaw has been an inspiration to so many from this generation to write their experiences down. As I was discussing with my wife, the fact that so many who experienced the terrible things of this war, have never spoken of it to anyone, we both felt that this book, and the subsequent letters sent in, have become a fairly significant catalyst for many. Some how it has given many permission to express what has been kept inside for so long. Many of this generation are ...more
Bonnie Dieffenbacher
A wonderful book of letters written in response to his first book about the greatest generation. Very inspiring. Helped me understand what my dad went through.
Eileen
Aug 09, 2015 Eileen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i think i would have enjoyed this more if i had read it and not listened to it. i found most of the people's voices very annoying and it detracted from the book.
Matthew
Oct 02, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review is up! Check out my blog for the review.

AngieA
Jan 09, 2010 AngieA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a real passion for the years of WWII and found this compilation of letters and memories by Tom Brokaw to be so informative and entertaining. A companion piece to "The Greatest Generation", it is a sequel that expands the views of Brokaw to include people who would not have been thought of otherwise. The reactions by these contributors is important and memorable; real history as seen by real people in their own words. All history should be written this way. It really brought home the wisdo ...more
Beth Neu
Aug 13, 2014 Beth Neu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great follow-up and further in-sight into the families and how they dealt with life during World War II.
pianogal
Liked the responses to the original book. Think it was worth Brokaw exploring this further.
Mark
Aug 05, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as the first book. A simple book reflecting on the people and times during WW II.
Hope
Oct 13, 2014 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this even better than the first book by Brokaw. Inspiring, personal stories.
Paulette
Interesting to hear reactions to Brokaw's best seller, The Greatest Generation.
Kelly
Feb 18, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all time favorite books. It is in letter form so it is really easy to read and you skip around you don't have to read it start to finish and you can re read it many many times. I read this book first but Tom Brokaw wrote The Greatest Generation first then he got so many letters responding to his book and telling stories that they recalled from the war that he wrote the Greatest Generation Speaks. Both of my grandparents are from this time both of my grandfathers served in WWII. ...more
Gary Hensley
Nice follow up to his "Greatest Generation" book.
Sherri Anderson
Oct 04, 2015 Sherri Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book but I have not read the Greatest Generation but I will be soon.
Wendy
Jan 16, 2016 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories from WWII
John
Jan 06, 2015 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't speak much to me.
Yvonne
4 & 1/2 stars
Emily
Aug 17, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, audio, history
Perhaps not the best one to listen to while driving. Some of the letters are sad and graphic (about POWs and concentration camps, etc.) but others are quite sweet. At times, I did find it difficult to determine when the author was speaking for himself and when he was reading a letter. I haven't read or listened to The Greatest Generation (the precurser to this) but it wasn't strictly necessary to do so.

I don't know what was cut out in this abridged version but it was a bit abrupt and rough in pl
Drew
Feb 28, 2014 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, ww2
I read this book first. Powerful stories and letters about my parents generation. They surely sacrificed much for us.
Dennis Lid
Jun 02, 2008 Dennis Lid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all readers of history and, especially, the younger generation - "lest we forget."
Recommended to Dennis by: No one.
The book reveals a host of interesting events and adventures of lives lived, sacrifices made, sorrows and joys borne and testaments claimed by the greatest generation. This generation was best exemplified by its challenge, discipline and sacrifice. Its legacy lives on. The book is an interesting and compelling read by one of the best and last
great journalists and anchor persons of our time.

by Dennis Lid
Emily
Jan 04, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book! Hearing other people's stories made me wish I had asked my grandparents more about their lives during the war. I know multiple stories from one of my grandpa's but there's so much more I would like to know.
Patrick
I really enjoyed this book. it took me a longer time to read it because I only read it during my free time at the school wear I tutor twice a weak. I did not read THE GREATEST GENERATION. But i i found this to be a very informative and interesting book because of the personal stories of the greatest generation. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in those who served in WW II.
Martha
Nov 24, 2008 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the way the book is so readable and easy to put down and pick up without losing thought. Brokow has a great way of meshing the stories of what took place during WW II together, of weaving them together and of truly "Bringing to life the hopes and dreams of a generation who fought our most hard-won victories, and whose struggles and sacrifices made our future possible."
Michelle
Sep 30, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because my husband just read it and wanted me to. I read The Greatest Generation some time ago.
  • To America: Personal Reflections of an Historian
  • The Few: The American "Knights of the Air" Who Risked Everything to Fight in the Battle of Britain
  • The Raft
  • Brave Men
  • Confessions: An Innnocent Life in Communist China
  • The Past Is a Foreign Country
  • We Remember the Holocaust
  • The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman & the Destruction of Hitler's Germany 1941-45
  • The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines & the Secret Mission of 1805
  • Legends, Lies & Cherished Myths of World History
  • Times to Remember
  • The Last Ridge: The Epic Story of America's First Mountain Soldiers and the Assault on Hitler's Europe
  • Hitler's Spy Chief: The William Canaris Mystery
  • Up Front
Thomas John Brokaw is an American television journalist and author, previously working on regularly scheduled news documentaries for the NBC television network, and is the former NBC News anchorman and managing editor of the program NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw. His last broadcast as anchorman was on December 1, 2004, succeeded by Brian Williams in a carefully planned transition. In the later ...more
More about Tom Brokaw...