Start by marking “Winter's End (Slocum Family #1)” as Want to Read:
Winter's End (Slocum Family #1)

Winter's End (Slocum Family #1)

After growing up in foster care, nurse Kayla Doherty's finally found a faith to rely on and a job she loves. But that's all put to the test when she's called to care for surly Marc DeHollander's dying father. Marc's struggling to keep his cattle farm afloat while dealing with his father's illness. He doesn't have time to fall for the beautiful hospice nurse. But as the ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 276 pages
Published March 1st 2010 by Steeple Hill (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Winter's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter's End

Amanda
Feb 08, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I can’t remember the last time I read a book this fast – a testament to the fact that I couldn’t put it down and I didn’t want it to end!!

“Winter’s End” is my first Ruth Logan Herne book and I was blown away by what I found between its pages! Funny and light, yet heartfelt and gripping, this book has everything you’d want in romantic fiction and then some.

Kayla Doherty is a warm, sassy, fun-loving, visiting nurse who hides her past away, trying to forget the horrors she faced in her childhood.
Julia Brumfield
Although this one doesn't read as much as some of the other Love Inspired books, which is a blessing in and of itself it still doesn't have the gumption to actually attract the reader. Instead you find yourself in a long and almost never-ending repeat of the story while you just want to shake the characters to pieces.

Furthermore what made it harder for me to enjoy the read was the fact that the characters were so flat. Kayla started off seeming like she would be a great character as well as Pe
Myra Johnson
Mar 19, 2010 Myra Johnson rated it it was amazing
Ruth Logan Herne's debut novel is a touching story of hope and healing. Hospice nurse Kayla Doherty is tender yet tough, her own heart bruised by a painful past. Facing the imminent death of his father from lung cancer, Marc DeHollander must come to terms with unpleasant truths about the mother who deserted them and its effects on what's left of his family. The story is told with a depth and grace not often found in series romance. Expect more endearing stories of love, hope, perseverance, and ...more
Linnette
Jan 13, 2011 Linnette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
LOVED it, Ruthie!!! Great job by one of my favorite people! Definately on my favorite book list.
Arminzerella
Valerie Comer
Aug 11, 2011 Valerie Comer rated it it was amazing
Kayla Doherty is a hospice nurse who is looking forward to completing her contract in the North Country and moving south to warmer climes…moving away from memories of her childhood that need forgetting, or at least burying. She has one last contract to fulfill before she can leave, that of easing Marc DeHollander’s father’s last days on earth.

Marc is having a hard time accepting his father’s impending death, which means the nurse’s intervention in their lives is unwelcome and awkward.

Marc would
Natalie
Oct 13, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-kindle-read
Well written, contemporary romance book that confronts hard issues--end stage cancer, neglect, bitterness, and loving people in spite of their wrong choices. Character's are flawed and realistic, lovable and three dimensional. Ruthy's trademark snarky humor sparkles in her heroine's dialogue.

I would recommend this book to anyone. Especially someone caring for an elderly or terminally ill relative.
Dawn Burns
Jan 19, 2016 Dawn Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book exactly when I needed it

My Dad is dying of cancer and hospice is coming in and really helping well. I am struggling to keep my spirits up to give Dad all the love I can before he goes home to Jesus, but the child in me doesn't want him to go. This book helped relieve the struggle for awhile and that's all I hoped for.
J.
May 05, 2010 J. rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you need a Christian romance with a little different setting, a little different style in order to hear the message it sends. Winter's End definitely delivers! Can't wait for the next in Ruth Logan Herne's series.
Marilyn Brant
Jul 08, 2010 Marilyn Brant rated it it was amazing
Emotionally gripping with well-crafted characters and a beautifully constructed narrative. I found this story very touching and truthful. I cannot wait to read more work by this talented author!
Kyleigh
Kyleigh rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Ausjenny
Ausjenny rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2011
Angi G.
Angi G. rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
Tracey Hagwood
Tracey Hagwood rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
June
June rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Mia Ross
Mia Ross rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2011
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
April
April rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Cynthia Reese
Cynthia Reese rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2010
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...) rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Marg
Marg rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2010
Kathryn Hart
Kathryn Hart rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Mary Connealy
Mary Connealy rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2010
Merrillee Whren
Merrillee Whren rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2011
Connie Sue
Connie Sue rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Elaine Applebury
Elaine Applebury rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Rancher's Reunion
  • Rekindled Hearts
  • Snowflake Sweethearts
  • The Rancher's Promise (Granger Family Ranch, #3)
  • The Baby Promise
  • Christmas Gifts: Small Town Christmas\Her Christmas Cowboy (The Cowboy Series, #9)
  • Look-Alike Lawman (Texas Twins, #4)
  • The Christmas Child (Redemption River, #4)
  • An Unlikely Match (Chatam House, #4)
  • Steadfast Soldier (Love Inspired)
  • Love Finds a Home (Mirror Lake, #2)
  • His Holiday Family
  • Finding Hope
  • Treasure Creek Dad (Alaskan Bride Rush,  #2)
Ruth Logan Herne loves Charlie Brown Christmas trees, rooting for the underdog and people who go the distance while others see the path as too long or broken! She loves God, chocolate, writing, dogs and is blessed by a sprawling family, oodles of grandkids and a sweet old farmhouse in constant need of work. She's sure that clean rooms are over-rated, snakes and possums should mind their own ...more
More about Ruth Logan Herne...

Slocum Family (3 books)
  • Waiting Out the Storm (Slocum Family #2)
  • Made to Order Family (Slocum Family #3)