Start by marking “Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  403 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Do you want to run faster? Are you trying to peak for a particular race? Would you like to find your true running potential? Brad Hudson, former Olympic Trials marathoner and current coach to Olympians like DathanRitzenhein, will show you the way in this practical, reader-friendly guide. Hudson is the most innovative running coach to come along in a generation. Until now, ...more
Published July 29th 2008 by Broadway Books (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon

David
Mar 01, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thorough description of his "adaptive" approach to training distance runners. A lot of it is similar to what others prescribe -- maybe the most distinctive features are (a) keep training volume high year-round, even though you lower intensity at times, so that you're not in a position of having to increase volume and intensity at the same time, which elevates injury risk; (b) steady diet of short all-out hill sprints, which he favors relative to weight training as a way to build running-specific ...more
Luke
Apr 28, 2009 Luke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Former-runner-turned-running-coach Brad Hudson details his coaching technique in "Run Faster". Hudson's team, based in beautiful Eugene, trains in his adaptive running technique, which is intimately detailed in "Run Faster". Hudson offers a handful of training maxims, but the strength of his program is not in rules but in the flexibility of training that leads to adaptive success. Contrary to many programs for runners on the market, adaptive running encourages you to find what works for you as a ...more
Isis
May 19, 2009 Isis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: runners who want to improve
Shelves: running
I don't know whether to put this as "read" or "currently-reading", because I keep picking it up and re-reading bits of it. I have been incorporating the principles outlined in this book into my training for about three weeks now, and (so far) I love it. What I love about it is that it is not a "do this exactly this way" program, but "here are the principles to build your program on" program. Maybe it requires more thought than the running programs which tell you exactly how far and how hard to r ...more
Shannon Mckenzie
nothing new here
Cherie
Jun 27, 2009 Cherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, running
B+ Some good stuff if you want to coach running or really train seriously; a lot of the stuff gets VERY technical and formulaic and it doesn't seem geared towards the average runner. I'm an obsessive runner and found it a bit much at times. Some great workout ideas and information.
Pete Danko
May 09, 2010 Pete Danko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Like all of co-writer Matt Fitzgerald's work, a great strength of this book is its solid research. The big takeaway I had was that by learning the sport and my own running, it's possible—in fact, necessary—to build a unique program that works for me.
Audra
Aug 03, 2009 Audra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great concepts, boring read. I'd like to just transplant all the info into my head without having to read it. I do like the ideas he presents about making your own plan however.
Joe
Dec 06, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brad Hudson trains some of the top marathoners in the world and his book is the most approachable one I have read for marathon runners of all levels that still gives you a way to prepare more like a competitive runner instead of a recreational one.

The problem I have found with other training books is that they do a pretty good job of explaining the process and what things you should do and give you a plan, but, they don't explain the theory behind the plan at a detailed level. Sure, they explai
Ashley Katsuyama
Jun 18, 2013 Ashley Katsuyama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
This is an awesome read and guide if you are looking to amp your regular training up. I think it would be helpful to runners with a good amount of experience (this is not a beginner's book) who are looking for workout ideas that will help towards a specific race distance. It's definitely geared towards race training, rather than overall running fitness, but isn't overly technical and is applicable at many different levels.

Hudson strongly encourages being in tune with your body and how you are h
Don
Apr 23, 2012 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, fitness
This is not a book if you just want to run for fun, or need to learn the basics about nutrition, or shoes, or running form. It doesn't cover any of that material. There are many other fine books for that.

This book gives you the tools you need to design a training plan to get you running the best races you can (in all distances, 5K to marathon). You don't have to be a seriously competitive runner (let's face it, few of use really are or have the potential to be), but you do have to want to be co
Carla
Apr 02, 2012 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I consider myself an experienced runner, but I still can learn at lot! This book gives me new insights and I am now trying out some some of his concepts. This book is not for beginners, I think, but for runners who have a certain level, compete in racea and want to improve but maybe are easily injured (like me). There are stories of elite runners who trained under Hudson and I can appreciate when he says for at least one it didn't work. When he tries to explain why it didn't work out, it shows t ...more
Andrew
Jun 20, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book from a good coach. This isn't your beginner level book. This is aimed at experienced athletes. Hudson lays out all his cards and doesn't shy away from discussing things.
Andreas Michaelides
This book was something out of this world; it showed me step by step how to become literally my own coach in running. It's very analytic and very useful to anyone that wants to improve its running times.

Lee
Nov 02, 2015 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detailed read on improving running speed and endurance (5k - half marathon).
Royale
Jul 28, 2014 Royale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good information, but a bit complicated unless you're a seriously competitive runner.
Josh
Dec 08, 2014 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Some good information, but not geared towards the amateur runner.
Steven
Jun 15, 2015 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good ideas/advice to take away...
Russell
Feb 16, 2014 Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A well written and presented guide on how to be your own coach and devise and execute your own training plan.
Taueret
Nov 05, 2011 Taueret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
woah, hardcore serious book for srs people. You could design your own programme with all the good information in here about speed and endurance and physiology and metabolism- or you can go to the end of the book and use the prefab programmes for 10k, marathon (and other distances) at various levels. I'm going to do the last 4 weeks of the 10k prep and then the day after the 10k run on the 27th, go straight into the 20 week prep for Canberra- which will be exactly 20 weeks away! How crazy is that ...more
Linsey
May 29, 2011 Linsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-challenge
I agree with some of the other reviews that this is a good book but its geared for elite runners and not the runners like me who are happy to finish a marathon. I am looking for tips on improving my overall marathon pace and I did get some new insight fom this book that I appreciated. However, I am lucky to finish a race in 5:30, and this book is mainly talking about 3 hour marathoners.
I liked the training charts and I appreciated Hudsons' views on hill repeats and speed training.
Xavier Shay
Apr 12, 2015 Xavier Shay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what I wanted from this type of book: training methodology, the why and how it differs from other common systems, and copious sample plans. It's ostensibly for any stage of runner, but in my estimation is probably a bit full on for beginners.
Paul
Dec 10, 2008 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Hudson has written a decent book on how to coach yourself to better times for various running distances. The book seems more focused to the competitive runner and not the novice. It has some good theory. The take away for me was to have a plan, but to be prepared to adjust it when necessary. There was also a lot of information on hill sprints and the benefits they can provide. Overall it was an interesting book.
Patricia
Jan 13, 2009 Patricia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Not really a book for beginning runners, but for people who have some idea what their 3K, 5K, 10K, Half-Marathon and Marathon pace is. I am not one of those people, but I like his message about not being a slave to your training plan. He also discusses how people are built to run many miles, but not super fast, or are super fast, but don't run many miles as well. The book includes many training plans.
Reid
Nov 29, 2011 Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A good guide for moderate-to-advanced runners looking to self-coach their way to better road races. I appreciated the emphasis on hill work as a a way to develop strength and avoid injury, as well as his insistence that volume is the key component towards developing competitive fitness. I got this as a library book, but it would nice to have a copy around the house for reference.
Joshua
Feb 19, 2012 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loaded with information however it seems like you already need to have several years of running experience before fully benefiting from the book. It was not race specific and it seemed like several of the techniques that were introduced only applied to shorter distance racers. Overall good book that could be read and reread to fully understand all of the information.
Danielle
Jan 22, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely felt like some of this went over my head, but it was still a really interesting read. I think it could have been better if it was more focused on specific race lengths than including all of them.
Charlie
Jun 01, 2012 Charlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
I'm moving this to read although I really only thoroughly read half of it or so. But I am finding myself looking through it from time to time, reviewing his advice and plans. But i also am sick of seeing it in my currently reading list . anyway, I ran my fastest 8k using his advice, so I feel obligated to give it a good review.
Sharon James
I have been an easy (aka. lazy) runner for a decade and want to finally work on increasing speed and progress further with my running, however this book is a little too much to take in at the moment for me. I have a few ideas on how to change my running program but not to the extend recommended in this book..not yet anyway.
Curt
Apr 28, 2009 Curt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthwhile speed-read, skipping over the umpteenth repetitions of each point. I particularly liked this book's way of extracting and focusing on weekly schedules for each form of hard workout. Been putting his hill sprint and progression run thoughts into my training the past 6 weeks and feeling good...!
  • Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results
  • Advanced Marathoning
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Pose Method of Running
  • Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • The Science of Running: How to find your limit and train to maximize your performance
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • Lore of Running
  • Runner's World The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster
  • Marathon Man: My 26.2-Mile Journey from Unknown Grad Student to the Top of the Running World
  • Sub 4:00: Alan Webb and the Quest for the Fastest Mile
  • Running Anatomy
  • Running Within: A Guide to Mastering the Body-Mind-Spirit Connection for Ultimate Training and Racing
  • Strides: Running Through History With an Unlikely Athlete
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »