Start by marking “Space Ghost” as Want to Read:
Space Ghost

Space Ghost

The masked avenger of the cartoon spaceways has been a popular character since his introduction to television in 1966. Since then, people have wondered who he is, how he got those power bands and why he protects the galaxy from evil. Now his story is told for the first time ever. Learn the tragic circumstances that led to his donning a cowl and his first battle with arch ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Space Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Ghost

Presence by Perie WolfordPresence by Perie Wolford2001 by Arthur C. ClarkeSpace Ghost by Joe KellySpace Vampire by Edward Packard
Favorite Books 2013
4th out of 5 books — 7 voters
Batman by Kevin SmithBatman by Jeph LoebBatman & Robin by Grant MorrisonBatman & Robin by Grant MorrisonBatman & Robin by Grant Morrison
Graphic Novels Edward 2814.1
31st out of 125 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jemir
Feb 19, 2015 Jemir rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jemir by: 54
This "Year One/ Batman Begins" style rendering of the origin of Space Ghost (whom many of a certain age know primarily through the light hearted cartoons we either first run or syndicated repeats) impressed me from start to finish. The Alex Ross 'covers" aside (his art serves more as 'chapter dividers" in the collected edition) the interior art coupled with Joe Kelly's tight writing tell the untold tale of a virtuous Space Ranger who is set up by his corrupt colleagues, sees his loved ones ...more
Paul
Sep 09, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
It wasn't the same as I remembered.

First of all, the cool beginning narrative and the spooky music was missing... obviously.
And they made it a bit too grown up. Even though the too grown up parts were pretty cliché.
The art was OK, even though the main characters were drawn pretty much like refrigerators on legs and the kids just looked like miniature grown-ups... and where was the monkey?

So many childhood memories torn to shred, still, I think I'll be looking up the original animated episodes so
B
Aug 25, 2014 B rated it liked it
Shelves: own, westend
So very disappointing. Joe Kelly was the genius behind Deadpool's first major run. He's a guy who can blend comedy and standard superheroics.

Space Ghost is a a character who was postmodernized into a talk show host and self-parody.

Anyway, the blend should be about some novel way of treating the superhero origin story.

(I think I got most of these words wrong.)

But what we get here is the standard Robocop/Batman thing. (Plus dashes of Judge Dredd and the Green Lantern.) I'm not even sure it makes
Josh
Nov 28, 2016 Josh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Serious, unoriginal, space opera with fantastic character art. Unfortunately, backgrounds are composed of shitty CG renders, so everything in the foreground appears to float. Really poor choice in art direction. Story is nothing to write home about. Revenge is the name of the game. Fans of Coast to Coast will likely be disappointed as there is no humor to be found here. Maybe worth a read if you have a thing for jacked super space dudes.
Kandomaru
Dec 02, 2016 Kandomaru rated it it was amazing
Wow.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Space Ghost #1-6 (January 2005-June 2005). Thaddeus Bach has a dream to be a peacekeeper as a member of Elidolon Elite Officer squad. When he is selected for the special Wraith team, his dreams appear to be coming true until he learns that Quartermaster Temple, his commanding officer, is betraying the code with his team of agents. Thaddeus’ pregnant wife Elua is killed and Thaddeus is left for dead. Nursed back to health, Thaddeus takes the guise of Space Ghost and sets out for revenge. ...more
M
Jun 28, 2014 M rated it liked it
Joe Kelly and Ariel Olivetti team up to provide the history of the Hanna-Barbara alien enforcer known as Space Ghost. A law enforcement officer with a baby on the way, Thaddeus Bach is drafted into a black ops squad by his mentor. The unscrupulous Temple and his team show their true colors during a weapons trade, leading to Bach's attempted desertion. Temple's squad abducts Thaddeus, brutally murdering his wife and unborn child before leaving the bloodied enforcer to die on an alien world. ...more
Jacobi
Jan 31, 2015 Jacobi rated it it was ok
Shelves: trades-read
If you read mainstream comics, you've read this story 100 times before. Good guy is wronged. Seeks revenge on those that wronged him. Realizes his fury clouds his judgment, and realizing this turns to the side of light. ETC.

Still, this wasn't bad. It's pretty much Batman, by way of Green Lantern. I have to say, while I could take Space Ghost "seriously", I could not do the same for Zorak. I mean, it's Zorak! He's always going to be that dufus from Coast to Coast to me. There is nothing menacing
Caudill
Oct 08, 2011 Caudill rated it really liked it
Was skeptical going into this one because of SPC2C and the old series, but Kelly's re-imagining of the character and his beginnings is surprisingly believable. Finally a back story to Space Ghost. Olivetti's artwork was vivid and beautiful, adding to the realism. Predictable, but what year one isn't. Was kind of short though. Would be excited to see DC explore the story line more and create new, more worthy villains.
Eli Poteet
Sep 24, 2014 Eli Poteet rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, hero
I've always wondered what was the story behind the late night talk show host known as Space Ghost. Turns out It was an arbitrary mishmash of Starship Troopers, Star Trek and other assorted sci fi story plots. The main character looks like a black haired version of a young Arnold Swartzenegger, namely his mammoth height and muscled beyond belief body. But overall I was unimpressed with his body armor/technology AND highly regrettable dip into the secret service of the galactic police.

Lindsey.parks
Oct 18, 2014 Lindsey.parks rated it really liked it
I would say it helped that I knew going in that this was going to be a serious take on Space Ghost. I loved the artwork in this, especially the Alex Ross covers. I realize that the plot of this was a bit cliched, but the fact that it was in the Space Ghost universe made it completely acceptable to me. Needed some Moltar though, that would have sealed the deal.
M
Jun 03, 2011 M rated it it was ok
A man is almost killed by the local Green Lantern Corps knock-off and swears revenge. He then learns that revenge is bad while exacting it anyway. And somehow this is the backstory to a 60s cartoon character. Not terrible, but not very good.
Michael
Mar 29, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
I keep going back an reading this one again and again. It is a really fun, dark, creative update of the Space Ghost character. If you grew up watching Space Ghost in the 70's and 80's, you will get a real kick out of it.
Julian Chambliss
Feb 21, 2015 Julian Chambliss rated it really liked it
This is great story from Joe Kelly. Space Ghost has been around for decades, but Kelly does a great job of bringing weight to the story. Like the Lone Ranger, Space Ghost is a lawman that dedicates himself to justice. The art is great and the story is compelling.
Robert
Oct 24, 2013 Robert rated it it was ok
Meh. Space Ghost didn't need a grim n gritty origin story, complete with the hero overcoming the drive for vengeance cliche. It needed to be cheesy, not to take itself seriously, and be a bit daft, like the cartoon and the Coast To Coast talk show. The Zorak stuff was neat, though.
Meredith
Jun 21, 2012 Meredith rated it it was amazing
My opinion is obviously horrendously biased, because there's no such thing as anything Space Ghost-related that I don't automatically adore.
Misael
Mar 24, 2015 Misael rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Solo son seis comics pero los disfruté mucho, es una versión no chistosa del personaje y eso lo hace diferente, fue divertido leerlo.
Aditya Sanyal
Jul 24, 2013 Aditya Sanyal rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A decent origins story. Very bloody. But I finally know why he has the two kids (and I also found out that they are not his), along for the ride.
Darren
Darren rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2009
Karl
Karl rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Joseph
Joseph rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016
TheSqaull17
TheSqaull17 rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Pandaman
Pandaman rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Ralph L Jr.
Ralph L Jr. rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Marshall
Marshall rated it liked it
May 12, 2015
Kristina Broome
Kristina Broome rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Todd Sorensen
Jul 07, 2014 Todd Sorensen rated it liked it
Not bad. Pretty good origin story for a cheesy 70s cartoon character. Great artwork.
Ryan Treadwell
Ryan Treadwell rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2012
Molly Ulmen
Molly Ulmen rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012