Start by marking “Naughty Neighbor” as Want to Read:
Naughty Neighbor

Naughty Neighbor

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  9,591 ratings  ·  419 reviews
A classic romance by a #1 New York Times bestselling author is now repackaged. Louisa Brannigan has her life in control--until Pete Streeter moves in next door. The infuriatingly attractive Pete wreaks havoc on Louisa's well-ordered existence, entangling her in a bizarre search for a missing pig.
Published February 26th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Naughty Neighbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naughty Neighbor

Alp
4.5/5

I had never read this author before so I had no idea what to expect. After reading both positive and negative reviews, I decided to read this book anyway. I was glad I did because it was incredibly good though it was a bit cheesy. I found the story was funny, entertaining, fast-paced, and so sweet. This book mainly focused on the hero and heroine who were so adorable. I loved the way they were attracted to each other. Both of them weren't perfect, but they were perfect together! Oh, so cute
Sabrina
I had one major problem (and a few small ones, but more about those later) with this audio book – it was over much too soon! The story is on the shorter side, and I felt these characters had so much more to say and I wanted to get to know them more!

This quirky little story really tickled me and I didn't expect that since my initial impression was that this might be a random audio miss. The voice of C.J. Critt immediately felt off to me. It seemed more mature and slightly gruffer than what the st
Kari Anderson
It took me two weeks to read Dracula and it’s taken me a day and a half to read this. When I finished it, my fiance looked at me and said, “Already? You just started.” What can I say, it was a cute, easy read and I love me some Janet Evanovich. That’s probably obvious since half the books I’ve reviewed have been by her.

Naughty Neighbor is before the Stephanie Plum era, but I see a lot of similarities. The lead female is always witty, the lead male(s) is always dreamy and the family is always a r
April
This is one of Evanovich's earlier works, and man, does it show. Though there are flashes of humor throughout, the plotting is inconsistent, the characters are underdeveloped, the mystery lacks complexity, and the romance is implausible.

On the other hand, this is the kind of thing that kept Evanovich writing, and she eventually hit One for the Money, Stephanie Plum's debut. While the characters in this book--the Naughty Neighbors in the title--are no Stephanie and Morelli (or Ranger, if you pref
Crystal~BIG book addict~
I can always depend on Janet Evanovich for a funny, lighthearted, silly read.

Pete and Louisa are neighbors, Pete living upstairs and Louisa down. He is noisy, steals her morning paper and funny smells come from his apartment. Pete can hear everything in Louisa's apartment, including her phone calls from her mom. After her boss, a Senator, finds out she has an association with Pete, he fires her suddenly and the mystery begins. Pete and Louisa work together to find out what is going on.

There is
Blodeuedd Finland

I am gonna make this short since it was on audio and let's face it, I suck a audio. I got annoyed at the narrator, and some voices made me grind my teeth. It took so long and I must have rolled my eyes a hundred times over.

Louisa was now and again TSTL, and honestly so was he once or twice too. He was a macho pig, and she was a wimp and complained all the time. I did not like either of them.

But then we get to the real problem, it was audio, perhaps I could have liked them in a book, perhaps then
Rayni
Feb 11, 2012 Rayni rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rayni by: Author name recognition
I snagged this book off the exchange rack at the library simply because it was a Janet Evanovich book. I've looked at these "before the time of Plum" novels in bookstores, but didn't want to buy them because they look like "fluff" to me. So I was excited to find a chance to read a "guilty pleasure" book.

I read Evanovich's note to the reader in this book & loved it. She explains that "in a previous life, before the time of Plum" she had written 12 short romance novels.

It is fluff & I f
Rachel
This was one of the cheesiest romance novels I've ever read. I can do cheese (I love Twilight for God's sake!) but this was over the top even for me. In addition to the romance plot line there was also a mystery plot line that seemed implausible and I had trouble following. People say that Evanovich is really funny but that wasn't true of this book.

To be fair, this book was written pre-Stephanie Plum days and probably wouldn't have been rereleased if it wasn't for the success of the Stephanie Pl
Cyndi Tefft
This was my first-ever Janet Evanovich book and I absolutely loved it! It was a short, quick read, packed tight with great one-liners that made me laugh out loud. Just ask my poor hubby, who had to stop what he was doing several times to listen to me read funny passages to him!

The best thing about this book was the absolute MALENESS of the "hero." Evanovich wrote his dialogue and inner thoughts just like a real guy, which completely tickled me.

My fave line:

Her: "Do you make love to women you do
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Reading this should give any starting author hope. This proves that one of your first books can be total crap and you can go on to be a very successful writer. The writing is choppy at best. The scenarios are more than improbable. The characters have few redeeming qualities. The plot is nonexistent. So why two stars and not one? Because it was merely bad. Sort or like something a friend has asked you to read. OK for an amateur, but not something you'd expect to be published anywhere.
Iris Blobel
I'm not really sure what to say. I have no idea what the "pig" story was all about, I got fed up with all the "inner thoughts" by both, Louisa and Pete half way through the book - it felt repetitious, AND it wasn't really near as funny as most of the other Evanovich stories. Bottom line ... I wouldn't bother. As you can see, I can't even bother spending more time to write something about it .... says it all, doesn't it?
Michelle Onuorah
I HATE this book. It was the biggest Barnes and Noble mistake I ever made. I traveled cross country and bought the audio book in the hopes that it would make the drive easier. I almost crashed from boredom. The characters - especially the male lead - are incredibly annoying. I couldn't stick around to see any romance blossom between these two unbelievable, vapid, moronic characters.

What's worse is I couldn't get my money back at B&N because the shrink wrap had been removed. This is by far th
Kara
This is one of her early books and you can tell. Is it fun? yes Can you see glimpses of her Motor Mouth series and One for the Money (which are both excellent)? yes, but she doesn't have the character development that happens later on. She is practicing becoming a seasoned writer with this book. Better than a harlequin romance, but not much (probably only because I like the humor).
Michelle
The biggest thing about this book that bothers me is that a cat is being fed foods that would kill it. Evanovich should have done her homework.

I was in the mood for a quick chuckle, so I turned to Janet Evanovich. Witty, cute, and ridiculously trite. But face it, no one reads Evanovich and expects answers to life's big questions.
Kathryn
uuuugh this book was soooo baddddd. she was lame and he was kind of rapey. the whole mystery part of the book was so stupid i couldn't even pay attention to it. and the person reading it on cd had the most annoying way of reading. she sounded like cheri o'teri impersonating barbara walters.
Jan
Janet Evanovich does not write a bad book, some are better than others, and the best are the Stephanie series, however,
this one will make the reader smile also.

Louisa has problems with her neighbour, and is thinking of calling the landlord, until she finds out he is the landlord. Sparks fly between them, and they are getting kinda hot. She works for Senator, who fires her, to hire a bimbo. She knows something is afoot, and with her new friend, the landlord, they set out to find out what is dirty
Shannon
I thought it had its cute parts, but ultimately fell flat. Evanovich is far more talented than this book shows.
Library-KAT
Meh.... Cute, sometimes funny..... Not much of a plot, mostly filler not developed at all..... If you want a quick, easy, & mindless read this is it!

Let's see Lou works for a Senator who is hooked up w/ a crooked Senator. She lives in a house below Pete (a very successful screenwriter). Pete's newest project is about a screenplay from a novel written about the Crooked senator. Pete & Lou fall fast & furious for each other.

Meanwhile Pete is threatened, Lou is fired and they begin inv
Notserp2002
fun & amusing little book!
Ohboy
I love this woman

My only problem with Janet Evanovich is that she seriously makes me dumb. I can't do anything when I get a hand on one of her books - it's as if all intelligent thought and ambition is stripped from me and all that is left is book mode. This one does it again. Only four stars because it ended way too soon. I am going to run out of her books to read, necessitating a move to the beginning. It's holiday break, and I hope my brain cells awaken before work starts back up again.
Debbie
After once again being woken up in the middle of the night by her upstairs neighbor’s ringing phone, Lousia Brannigan opened her front door to discover her morning paper had been stolen by the same neighbor. Then her car was vandalized (his fault) and she lost her job (again, his fault), but now they were working together to find out what had happened to a diplomatic pig. Pete Streeter was intrigued by a missing pig (of all things?). As a screen writer, he spun stories all of the time, he just c ...more
Serena
Another audiobook by Janet Evanovich, but this one is not in the Stephanie Plum series or the Between-the-Numbers series. Naughty Neighbor is one of Evanovich's earlier books, which have been dubbed "red-hot comedies."

Louisa Brannigan is a nose-to-the-grindstone press secretary for an up-and-coming senator, Nolan Bishop. Louisa and her neighbor, Pete Streeter, are at odds, particularly since he callously snags her morning paper and receives phone calls at all hours. Streeter is a Hollywood scree
Christyn
Naughty Neighbor was really cute and romantic. The kind of light fluffy love story you read when you want to smile and laugh and not think - the perfect escape from real life. There are still some things that were unresolved - like why Louisa was really fired, whether her boss had anything to do with what Maislin was into and a few minor details, but since these weren't the main bulk of the story I didn't mind too much. It was enjoyable and left me smiling - that's the important part.

Louisa wa
Melbourne on my mind
DNF on page 50. A friend sent me all of these books when I was really into the Stephanie Plum series about 10 years ago, and I figured it was time to reread them and see if I could clear some space on my shelves.

I can certainly get rid of this one. The first 50 pages were all woman-in-hideously-dated-outfit storms around her house, guy in the apartment upstairs protests and implies that her emotions are due to PMS and then kisses her neck. Nope.
Susan Kraft
This is another of the Janet Evanovich romances that I got from the library to read, and again, I'm glad I did! You gotta love a book about a buttoned-down government employee who meets her reckless, slightly nuts neighbor who just happens to be a script writer (and unbeknownst to her, her landlord) and winds up working undercover to find out why a pig has disappeared from a government building. This story is funny and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! :-)
Laurel Horner
I did not feel a connection to the main character. The authors notes at the beginning are making sense now why this was one of the stories were published once and then not produced again for 15 years. Not sure they should have come back. Not sure with the information given if they would have fallen in love with eachother just did not seem like a connection and the herion was really annoying and maybe that was a combination of the book itself and the reader chosen for the CD.
Tina
This book was a pleasant surprise. The story was an offbeat romance with an underlining detective plot (although it lacked complexity). Characters were enjoyable and despite the weak plot, the love story was captivating. It was a light, easy read which I completed in one evening and would definitely recommend for anyone looking for a carefree story. It had moments of humor which had me laughing out loud.
I was fairly disappointed in this book. I liked that it was short and easy to get into. But I found that the relationship moved way to fast, I thought that the characters weren't nearly as developed as they could have been. The whole congressman fiasco seemed like a fiasco in and of itself. I found it fairly hard to follow - Lou and Pete would be talking about something that had happened and I would never even remember reading anything about it and would be going back pages to try to find it, to ...more
Tiffeny
Janet Evanovich is the author of all the Stephanie Plum books, of which I'm not a huge fan. I've only read one and it was a while ago, so I don't remember a lot about it. I think I remember there being too many F-words for my taste and I just don't remember caring for the characters too much. Apparently though before she wrote Plum, she wrote a series of paperback romance novels, that were published and then quickly went out of print. In the last few years though, probably since she's become so ...more
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Big Sky Standoff
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • Lake Magic
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Celtic Fire (Druids of Avalon, #1)
  • Heart of Gold (Loveswept, No 393; Rainbow Chasers, #1)
  • I Shot You Babe (Bombay Assassins, #4)
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Sean's Reckoning
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride (Harlequin Romance, No. 3855)
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
More about Janet Evanovich...
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)

“Pete- What does a woman want out of marriage?
Louisa- Undying devotion and a warm place to put her cold feet when she gets into bed at night.”
16 likes
“There’s always tomorrow.”

“Exactly,” she said, finishing off her first doughnut, selecting a second. Maybe she wouldn’t starve to death, she decided. Maybe she’d eat herself into obesity and explode. Death by doughnut.”
8 likes