Start by marking “Naughty Neighbor” as Want to Read:
Naughty Neighbor

Naughty Neighbor

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,437 Ratings  ·  463 Reviews
A classic romance by a #1 New York Times bestselling author is now repackaged. Louisa Brannigan has her life in control--until Pete Streeter moves in next door. The infuriatingly attractive Pete wreaks havoc on Louisa's well-ordered existence, entangling her in a bizarre search for a missing pig.
Published February 26th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Naughty Neighbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naughty Neighbor

Alp
Oct 24, 2015 Alp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

I've never read this author before so I had no idea what to expect. After reading both positive and negative reviews, I decided to read this book anyway. I'm glad I did because it was incredibly good though it was a bit cheesy. I found the story was funny, entertaining, fast-paced, and so sweet. This book mainly focused on the hero and heroine who were so adorable. I loved the way they were attracted to each other. Both of them weren't perfect, but they were perfect together! Oh, so cute!

I
Sabrina
I had one major problem (and a few small ones, but more about those later) with this audio book – it was over much too soon! The story is on the shorter side, and I felt these characters had so much more to say and I wanted to get to know them more!

This quirky little story really tickled me and I didn't expect that since my initial impression was that this might be a random audio miss. The voice of C.J. Critt immediately felt off to me. It seemed more mature and slightly gruffer than what the st
Kari Anderson
It took me two weeks to read Dracula and it’s taken me a day and a half to read this. When I finished it, my fiance looked at me and said, “Already? You just started.” What can I say, it was a cute, easy read and I love me some Janet Evanovich. That’s probably obvious since half the books I’ve reviewed have been by her.

Naughty Neighbor is before the Stephanie Plum era, but I see a lot of similarities. The lead female is always witty, the lead male(s) is always dreamy and the family is always a r
April
Oct 07, 2008 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guilty-pleasure, 2008
This is one of Evanovich's earlier works, and man, does it show. Though there are flashes of humor throughout, the plotting is inconsistent, the characters are underdeveloped, the mystery lacks complexity, and the romance is implausible.

On the other hand, this is the kind of thing that kept Evanovich writing, and she eventually hit One for the Money, Stephanie Plum's debut. While the characters in this book--the Naughty Neighbors in the title--are no Stephanie and Morelli (or Ranger, if you pref
Crystal~BIG book addict~
I can always depend on Janet Evanovich for a funny, lighthearted, silly read.

Pete and Louisa are neighbors, Pete living upstairs and Louisa down. He is noisy, steals her morning paper and funny smells come from his apartment. Pete can hear everything in Louisa's apartment, including her phone calls from her mom. After her boss, a Senator, finds out she has an association with Pete, he fires her suddenly and the mystery begins. Pete and Louisa work together to find out what is going on.

There is
Tracy Kellies
This is a really cheesy romance. The storyline was a bit far-fetched however I found it intriguing. Anyone looking for a quick and funny romance will enjoy this.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Louisa and Peter were a fun pair. Two opposites that definitely attracted. A really fun book to read.
Sally906
Feb 18, 2016 Sally906 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Not anywhere near one of her better works - in the end I only read it because the cover was yellow
Blodeuedd Finland

I am gonna make this short since it was on audio and let's face it, I suck a audio. I got annoyed at the narrator, and some voices made me grind my teeth. It took so long and I must have rolled my eyes a hundred times over.

Louisa was now and again TSTL, and honestly so was he once or twice too. He was a macho pig, and she was a wimp and complained all the time. I did not like either of them.

But then we get to the real problem, it was audio, perhaps I could have liked them in a book, perhaps then
Rayni
Feb 11, 2012 Rayni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rayni by: Author name recognition
I snagged this book off the exchange rack at the library simply because it was a Janet Evanovich book. I've looked at these "before the time of Plum" novels in bookstores, but didn't want to buy them because they look like "fluff" to me. So I was excited to find a chance to read a "guilty pleasure" book.

I read Evanovich's note to the reader in this book & loved it. She explains that "in a previous life, before the time of Plum" she had written 12 short romance novels.

It is fluff & I f
Holli
A cute book, but the characters really got on my nerves after a while. Pete is kind of an ass and Louisa is not nearly as funny as Stephanie Plum. She's also actually kind of irritating. The mystery is also solved too fast and far too easily. The book has good bits of humor throughout and I enjoyed reading it as it shows where Ms. Evanovich started and her talent even then. Still, I like her later books better.
Rachel
Aug 11, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was one of the cheesiest romance novels I've ever read. I can do cheese (I love Twilight for God's sake!) but this was over the top even for me. In addition to the romance plot line there was also a mystery plot line that seemed implausible and I had trouble following. People say that Evanovich is really funny but that wasn't true of this book.

To be fair, this book was written pre-Stephanie Plum days and probably wouldn't have been rereleased if it wasn't for the success of the Stephanie Pl
Cyndi Tefft
This was my first-ever Janet Evanovich book and I absolutely loved it! It was a short, quick read, packed tight with great one-liners that made me laugh out loud. Just ask my poor hubby, who had to stop what he was doing several times to listen to me read funny passages to him!

The best thing about this book was the absolute MALENESS of the "hero." Evanovich wrote his dialogue and inner thoughts just like a real guy, which completely tickled me.

My fave line:

Her: "Do you make love to women you do
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Very Stephanie Plumish but less fleshed out and more to the point. Almost gave it a 3 stars for effort but overall, no.

It's cutesy and easy to read fast - the characters are well enough and the dialogue funny - but it didn't tickle my tickle bone enough to make up for how fluffy it was. It has another 'modern grandmother' at the end but she's barely in it. We also get sleazy politicians and a strange mystery side story about a pig. The mystery side story wasn't important after all, just a cute
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Reading this should give any starting author hope. This proves that one of your first books can be total crap and you can go on to be a very successful writer. The writing is choppy at best. The scenarios are more than improbable. The characters have few redeeming qualities. The plot is nonexistent. So why two stars and not one? Because it was merely bad. Sort or like something a friend has asked you to read. OK for an amateur, but not something you'd expect to be published anywhere.
Iris Blobel
I'm not really sure what to say. I have no idea what the "pig" story was all about, I got fed up with all the "inner thoughts" by both, Louisa and Pete half way through the book - it felt repetitious, AND it wasn't really near as funny as most of the other Evanovich stories. Bottom line ... I wouldn't bother. As you can see, I can't even bother spending more time to write something about it .... says it all, doesn't it?
Xanthi
May 07, 2016 Xanthi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fairly brief, the romance part of the story is very formulaic and it all is a prequel to the Stephanie Plum series that was to eventuate. The humour is the best part of this story.
Danielle Torres
Aug 03, 2015 Danielle Torres rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cheesiest book I've ever read! The fact that I found multiple errors didn't help either.
Michelle Onuorah
Aug 18, 2013 Michelle Onuorah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I HATE this book. It was the biggest Barnes and Noble mistake I ever made. I traveled cross country and bought the audio book in the hopes that it would make the drive easier. I almost crashed from boredom. The characters - especially the male lead - are incredibly annoying. I couldn't stick around to see any romance blossom between these two unbelievable, vapid, moronic characters.

What's worse is I couldn't get my money back at B&N because the shrink wrap had been removed. This is by far th
Kara
Mar 11, 2009 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of her early books and you can tell. Is it fun? yes Can you see glimpses of her Motor Mouth series and One for the Money (which are both excellent)? yes, but she doesn't have the character development that happens later on. She is practicing becoming a seasoned writer with this book. Better than a harlequin romance, but not much (probably only because I like the humor).
Michelle
Apr 13, 2010 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The biggest thing about this book that bothers me is that a cat is being fed foods that would kill it. Evanovich should have done her homework.

I was in the mood for a quick chuckle, so I turned to Janet Evanovich. Witty, cute, and ridiculously trite. But face it, no one reads Evanovich and expects answers to life's big questions.
Kathryn
Oct 22, 2013 Kathryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
uuuugh this book was soooo baddddd. she was lame and he was kind of rapey. the whole mystery part of the book was so stupid i couldn't even pay attention to it. and the person reading it on cd had the most annoying way of reading. she sounded like cheri o'teri impersonating barbara walters.
Dawn ♥ romance
Aug 07, 2010 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Cute book with decent plot, humor, action and sex but it was short and sometimes disjoint making it seem almost like a condensed version. Louisa’s loud neighbor, screen-writer Pete, causes her to lose her government aide job so she helps him with undercover investigation.
Nicole
Naughty Neighbor was a fun read and I found myself laughing throughout the story several times. I actually had to stop reading due to laughing so hard a few times.

Louisa has played it safe all her life, safe job, safe attitude, and not confronting anyone about anything. That all changes for Louisa when her upstairs neighbor, Pete, finally drives her to the point of confronting him. Instead of telling Pete off and going their separate ways the two become entangled in a political mystery.

I did n
Carol
Sep 21, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet Evanovich is always a good read. A light screball comedy romance, but still a satisfying read. It give me something to read while waitng for her next Stephanie Plum book.
Jan
Oct 20, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet Evanovich does not write a bad book, some are better than others, and the best are the Stephanie series, however,
this one will make the reader smile also.

Louisa has problems with her neighbour, and is thinking of calling the landlord, until she finds out he is the landlord. Sparks fly between them, and they are getting kinda hot. She works for Senator, who fires her, to hire a bimbo. She knows something is afoot, and with her new friend, the landlord, they set out to find out what is dirty
Shannon
I thought it had its cute parts, but ultimately fell flat. Evanovich is far more talented than this book shows.
Notserp2002
Jan 24, 2015 Notserp2002 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fun & amusing little book!
Ohboy
Dec 29, 2014 Ohboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this woman

My only problem with Janet Evanovich is that she seriously makes me dumb. I can't do anything when I get a hand on one of her books - it's as if all intelligent thought and ambition is stripped from me and all that is left is book mode. This one does it again. Only four stars because it ended way too soon. I am going to run out of her books to read, necessitating a move to the beginning. It's holiday break, and I hope my brain cells awaken before work starts back up again.
Elizabeth
Cute story
Madison Mega-Mara...: #230 - Naughty Neighbor 1 1 Jan 04, 2016 09:56AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #57 Naughty Neighbor by Janet Evanovich 1 2 Apr 02, 2015 08:27AM
  • Foul Play
  • When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Lake Magic
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #1)
  • Hunting the Demon (Demon Hunters, #2)
  • Sean's Reckoning (The Devaneys, #2)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Heart of Gold (Rainbow Chasers #1)
More about Janet Evanovich...

“Pete- What does a woman want out of marriage?
Louisa- Undying devotion and a warm place to put her cold feet when she gets into bed at night.”
16 likes
“There’s always tomorrow.”

“Exactly,” she said, finishing off her first doughnut, selecting a second. Maybe she wouldn’t starve to death, she decided. Maybe she’d eat herself into obesity and explode. Death by doughnut.”
8 likes