Start by marking “The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)

The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events #7)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  89,494 Ratings  ·  1,611 Reviews
Dear Reader, You have undoubtedly picked up this book by mistake, so please put it down. Nobody in their right mind would read this particular book about the lives of Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire on purpose, because each dismal moment of their stay in the village of V.F.D. has been faithfully and dreadfully recorded in these pages.I can think of no single reason why ...more
Published August 28th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Vile Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vile Village

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I didn't like this one as much.

The kids are sent to a vile village to live. It was filled with weirdos and crows. And of course Count Olaf, I'm beginning to think he has a tracking device on them !

And the mystery of the Quagmire Triplets grows!
Drew
Oct 26, 2012 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here at the halfway point of the series, the author is finally dropping more hints and clues about what seems to be a rather large conspiracy against the Baudelaire orphans, the Quagmire orphans, and I gather orphans everywhere who have large fortunes to be acquired.

The search for the Quagmire triplets in The Ersatz Elevator ended with a literal red herring, but The Vile Village is almost entirely red herring, as the children are sent to become the wards of a village known only by the mysteriou
Melanie
Fast read, pretty good. Not one of my favorites so far in the series but ok. Review to come.
Mark Lawrence
The Vile Village is where the whole VFD thing really starts to take off and the original formula of a new guardian followed by Olaaf turning up in a new disguise starts fraying.

The village is quite fun, replete with dozens of vile villagers, hundreds of ridiculous rules, and thousands upon thousands of crows.

The off-beat humour continues with Sunny's one worders and their elaborate translation, and the extreme stupidity of everyone who isn't a Baudelaire.

The penalty for breaking almost any villa
Lauren
This series is starting to improve and I'm liking it even more despite the fact that it is so repeatative. I am now soooooo excited for the TV show coming out next month!!!!!
Casey
Jan 20, 2010 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Velo
May 18, 2016 John Velo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listenedto

Seventh book already and the plot of this one doesn't really differ much from its predecessors. And I'm getting a bit tired of it... And I am so frustrated about the adult's logic in this world! The same thing happens over and over, yet no one believes the Baudeliere children.

I feel like the readers haven't been given answers to the bigger mysteries of this series. Although, Lemony Snicket is slowly dropping hints and facts of a bigger overall series storyline here, sometimes, I still
Nicholas Karpuk
Feb 25, 2011 Nicholas Karpuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I had to draw a line in the sand with the Snicket books between overly formulaic but funny, and genuinely well put together, I'd put it within the first few chapters of The Vile Village.

There's a few things absent from this read through, most of them positive. He isn't constantly reiterating the three children's skills in a "this is for Violet, this is for Klaus, this is for Sunny" sort of rhythm. There guardian is slightly more relatable, and altogether decent guy who gets severely skittish
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Well, I'm more than halfway through now! And it's pretty crazy how little I actually know about the overarching mystery of the series.

I loved the absurdity of V.F.D., the Elders who wore crow hats, the thousands of pointless rules, burning people at the stake, the constant migration of the crows. Watch as mob mentality seizes the villagers and you find yourself reading bizarre chants like, (view spoiler) Grab your torches and pitchforks, folk
Matthew
Jul 17, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The seventh book in this upsetting series. It is yet another tale of how the Baudelaire children are a well placed razor away from death. The scoundrel Count Olaf is up to his old tricks. How he is able to baffle entire crowds of people with his guile, which in this case refers to his uncanny ability to fool adults. Luckily Violet, Klaus and Sunny are sharp children and are using their individual talents to stay alive.

Thanks to the heroic and mysterious efforts of Lemony Snicket it seems that th
Miss Bookiverse
"It takes a village to raise a child"? Gosh, I love that the author takes everything so literally and actually allows a whole village to be the new legal guardian for the Baudelaire orphans.

What's really bugging me is this slow dribble of information. Who was Jaque Snicket? What does Beatrice have to do with everything? I never would've thought there was such a mysterious storyline behind these books, one that weaves through the whole series. I'm so curious about the final solution.
Natt BookEuphoria
This is one of my least favourites since I consider the plot to be weird and slightly ridiculous. However I did enjoy it and I find it to be really entertaining. I have to remind myself that this is a middle grade and not YA. I missed the Quagmires in this book. If you are at this point in the series and are debating if you want to continue or not, I do encourage you to
5/5 stars
Mel
Dec 29, 2015 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread. I remember this being a favourite but not anymore.
Tasha (faeriedrugs)
Some things in these books are so ridiculous but I'm finding myself enjoying them a lot more now. This book actually made me feel anxious at times because of how hopeless situations felt.
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 Kat Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult; Mystery
Love Triangle/Insta Love/Obsession?: nope.
Cliff Hanger: eh.

Total: 8

In Dept

Best Part:
The village rules!
Worst Part: A bit slow paced.
Thoughts Had: how many rules?!; you're kidding!; there they are!!!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: easily one of my favorite of this series. these "rules" the vil
Octavia
Aug 20, 2016 Octavia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
Mini Review: 2 1/2 stars. Not my favorite. The previous book was very fun, but the setting of this weird village didn't do anything for me. Kind of a filler book? Will be continuing, but this series has to start doing something other than the same plot line for each book.
Nathan
Jun 04, 2016 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
The overall plot of the series has gotten exponentially better with the last couple books! I hope it keeps up like this.
Amber
Jul 05, 2016 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
Ooo a change of plot. My new favorite.
Jaksen
Jan 14, 2017 Jaksen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The seventh book in the series...

In this one the Baudelaire orphans have been placed with an entire village as guardians. Of course, every citizen in the village is an idiot - why wouldn't they be? :D They love crows and have about 10,000 rules which forbid just about everything you can imagine, the punishment for any infringement is burning at the stake. (Yes, BURNING at the STAKE.) This ups the stakes for the three orphans, as you might guess. Their only friend here is the weak-willed Hector,
Katie
Jun 23, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this one is my favorite so far. Things are starting to come together and I'm excited to get to the next one now :)
Sheida
Nov 17, 2015 Sheida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the previous books in the series but still a fun read. I really liked the ending and I'm looking forward to what the rest of the journey will bring (I hardly remember anything, lol).
Ian
Feb 23, 2014 Ian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
Marnie  Krüger
Dec 20, 2015 Marnie Krüger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This guy has an amazing imagination!
Didymus
Aug 15, 2013 Didymus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, continuing my re-read through of the series here (I started with Book 4 for some reason).

Knowing what's coming in The End I've been on the look out for anti-religious or secular-humanist themes, and I think I find the first hint of it in this, Book 7, the centerpiece of the series. And if you know me, you know what a big fan I am of organized religion so we'll see what my opinion is of this series when we're done with the re-read. But I'm a tolerant fellow, and I like good art as such. Bei
Penny Raspenny
Mar 02, 2012 Penny Raspenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I liked it very much!

The images that kept crawling into my mind with all those ravens flying together at sunset and dawn were soooo beautiful! And the riddle with the poems was very challenging! When they got the last note I was like
description
"I KNOW WHERE THE QUAGMIRE TRIPLETS ARE"
And the opportunity for the Baudelaires to practice their talents in that huge library and inventing studio was superb! And the trick in the cell was so inspired! And the plan to save Zack!

But

description

I need answers. What the hell is
Richard Denney
Apr 17, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!

I see what everyone is saying now. It most definitely picks up on book 7 100 fucking percent!
I am so enveloped in this world and in the Baudelaire's lives that I physically get angry and curse at the characters when something doesn't work out or Olaf gets his way. And that ending? I'm glad it's taking a different route and shying away from the guardian to guardian borefest it was beginning to become. I'm excited to see what happens in The Hostile Hospital and finally get some answers on
Nadine
Apr 11, 2016 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It was a curious feeling, that something could be so close and so distant at the same time."

Another unfortunate event that adds more questions than answers. Usually this frustrates me, but I'm really enjoying the very small hints at the bigger picture. On to the next adventure!!

Full series review: https://todaysechos.wordpress.com/201...
Haylee
Dec 19, 2016 Haylee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
This book is sort of that next step to this huge secret that will be uncovered in the remaining books, so it sort of felt like a filler to me. But the town of V.F.D. are so absurd and entertaining and it's so interesting the crazy and unique characters Snicket has come up with for this series.
What I'm enjoying most about re-reading these is that I cannot remember a single thing that happens and I'm really bad at predicting plots, so it really is like I've never read it before.
April Sarah
Feb 03, 2016 April Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I do feel like the series is getting better. There is more to each story (which is probably why they are getting longer). The characters are starting to get more varying now as well which is nice. Instead of completely incompetent adults, you have a range. Some of them are even only mildly incompetent.
The Nooks of Books: The Vile Village 1 4 Jan 28, 2015 03:50AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 5 Nov 08, 2014 07:52AM
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Terrible Times (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #3)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Public Enemies (On The Run, #5)
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • The Edge Chronicles 2: The Winter Knights: Second Book of Quint
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Calder Game (Chasing Vermeer, #3)
  • Mermaids Don't Run Track
  • Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure (Molly Moon, #3)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“It is true, of course, that there is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time. You might know someone for several years, for instance, and trust him completely as your friend, but circumstances could change and he could become very hungry, and before you knew it you could be boiling in a soup pot, because there is no way of knowing for sure.” 48 likes
“Normally I don't approve of children staying up late,' he said finally, 'unless they are reading a very good book, seeing a wonderful movie, or attending a dinner party with fascinating guests.” 37 likes