Start by marking “Receiving Love” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Harville Hendrix has illuminated the paths to loving, long-lasting relationships in his New York Times bestsellers Getting the Love You Want and Keeping the Love You Find. Now, with coauthor and wife Helen LaKelly Hunt, he brings us to a new understanding about one of the most complicated issues facing couples today:

Receiving Love

Many men and women know how to give love,

Published October 28th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Receiving Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Receiving Love

Kimberly
A trite rehash of his previous bestseller, Hendrix seems to be grasping at thin air for enough substance to fill an entire book. The subject is one that warrants further research and one that we definitely need more literature on -but this is not the book to provide it.
Ginger Smith
I was kind of disappointed in this book. I felt like it was more of an advertisement for the Imago Relationship Therapy techniques that the authors teach than it was on how to open yourself up to receiving love.

The bulk of the book was about three married couples who had to transform their “separate” beings into “connected” beings in order to build a more solid relationship full of trust, understanding, and open communication.

Many of the concepts were not new to me: Couples working on increasin
Faiza Venzant
I think the title to this book is somewhat deceiving. It has much more to do with looking at how you behave in current relationships based on the relationship you had with your parents. Was good to read as a couple for some of the conversation it invited but mostly was a disappointment. Theory was much too narrow, heterosexist and traditional for most of the couples I know today.
Mishna Wolff
Yes, I do read these once in a while. And I particularly liked this book: both as a very insightful self help book and an interesting look into some interesting relationships. Nothing like reading about other peoples problems to make yours seem benign. I recommend this book to anyone who is in, or plans on having a relationship.
Elisa Kay
Some interesting concepts in this book. Are you a maximiser or a minimiser? What things from your childhood affect your relationships now? I think my boyfriend will kill me though if I mirrored what he said, empathise and sympathise. Definately lending it to a friend of mine, who needs self love just like I do.
Giedra
Very hokily written, and exceedingly repetitive, but had some good concepts to think about. Much preferred another book I read at the same time that, in fact, referenced the concepts in this one, but in a much more accessible way (Lies at the Altar by Robin Smith).
Anjie
My Imago has been trying to dialogue with my family through mirroring, validating and empathizing but my Child is preparing for a tantrum and my Parent is about to let loose. All this hurting and projecting needs a lot of healing. Where did my adult go?
SueAnn
I'm listening to the audio version. These authors really hit the nail on the head on how we can look at our relationships and open up ourselves to receiving love. This is one of those books I will listen to more than once.
Mark Goodman
Some interesting ideas but nothing very new or inspiring. Much of this was already said in Getting the Love You Need, their older book. Disappointing.
Cindy
Receiving love is an amazing book. Really makes you look at yourself and within yourself and realize you are worth the love you are given.
Tracy
Excellent book, great for couples, individuals, and anyone interested in maintaining and having a positive relationship.
Karen wako
excellent book on relationships and how we sometimes have trouble accepting love from others.
Cathy
Browsed rather than read but liked what I browsed
Almer Stoffer
Deze zou iedereen moeten lezen
B
Great tips on pgs 180-192
Florence
Florence marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Power
Power marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Jeffrey Canale
Jeffrey Canale is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015
Han
Han marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Alexandra La Vigne
Alexandra La Vigne marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Liezl Potgieter
Liezl Potgieter marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Bhaskar
Bhaskar marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • Why Marriages Succeed or Fail: And How You Can Make Yours Last
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours
  • Be the Person You Want to Find: Relationship and Self-Discovery
  • Fight Less, Love More: 5-Minute Conversations to Change Your Relationship without Blowing Up or Giving In
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up's Guide to Getting over Narcissistic Parents
  • Making Peace with the Things in Your Life: Why Your Papers, Books, Clothes, and Other Possessions Keep Overwhelming You and What to Do About It
  • The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage
  • Intimacy & Desire: Awaken the Passion in Your Relationship
  • Psychotherapy without the Self: A Buddhist Perspective
  • Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment
  • Why Is It Always About You? : The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism
  • Freeing Yourself from the Narcissist in Your Life
  • Why Mars and Venus Collide
  • The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It
Harville Hendrix, Ph.D., is the author of Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples, a New York Times bestseller that has sold more than two million copies. He has more than thirty years’ experience as an educator and therapist. He specializes in working with couples in private practice, teaching marital therapy to therapists, and conducting couples workshops across the country. Dr. Hendrix i ...more
More about Harville Hendrix...
Getting the Love You Want : A Guide for Couples Keeping the Love You Find Making Marriage Simple: Ten Truths for Changing the Relationship You Have into the One You Want Giving The Love That Heals Getting the Love You Want Workbook: The New Couples' Study Guide