Start by marking “Receiving Love” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Harville Hendrix has illuminated the paths to loving, long-lasting relationships in his New York Times bestsellers Getting the Love You Want and Keeping the Love You Find. Now, with coauthor and wife Helen LaKelly Hunt, he brings us to a new understanding about one of the most complicated issues facing couples today:

Receiving Love

Many men and women know how to give love,

Published October 28th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Receiving Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Receiving Love

Kimberly
A trite rehash of his previous bestseller, Hendrix seems to be grasping at thin air for enough substance to fill an entire book. The subject is one that warrants further research and one that we definitely need more literature on -but this is not the book to provide it.
Ginger Smith
I was kind of disappointed in this book. I felt like it was more of an advertisement for the Imago Relationship Therapy techniques that the authors teach than it was on how to open yourself up to receiving love.

The bulk of the book was about three married couples who had to transform their “separate” beings into “connected” beings in order to build a more solid relationship full of trust, understanding, and open communication.

Many of the concepts were not new to me: Couples working on increasin
Faiza Venzant
I think the title to this book is somewhat deceiving. It has much more to do with looking at how you behave in current relationships based on the relationship you had with your parents. Was good to read as a couple for some of the conversation it invited but mostly was a disappointment. Theory was much too narrow, heterosexist and traditional for most of the couples I know today.
Mishna Wolff
Yes, I do read these once in a while. And I particularly liked this book: both as a very insightful self help book and an interesting look into some interesting relationships. Nothing like reading about other peoples problems to make yours seem benign. I recommend this book to anyone who is in, or plans on having a relationship.
Elisa Kay
Some interesting concepts in this book. Are you a maximiser or a minimiser? What things from your childhood affect your relationships now? I think my boyfriend will kill me though if I mirrored what he said, empathise and sympathise. Definately lending it to a friend of mine, who needs self love just like I do.
Giedra
Very hokily written, and exceedingly repetitive, but had some good concepts to think about. Much preferred another book I read at the same time that, in fact, referenced the concepts in this one, but in a much more accessible way (Lies at the Altar by Robin Smith).
Anjie
My Imago has been trying to dialogue with my family through mirroring, validating and empathizing but my Child is preparing for a tantrum and my Parent is about to let loose. All this hurting and projecting needs a lot of healing. Where did my adult go?
SueAnn
I'm listening to the audio version. These authors really hit the nail on the head on how we can look at our relationships and open up ourselves to receiving love. This is one of those books I will listen to more than once.
Mark Goodman
Some interesting ideas but nothing very new or inspiring. Much of this was already said in Getting the Love You Need, their older book. Disappointing.
Cindy
Receiving love is an amazing book. Really makes you look at yourself and within yourself and realize you are worth the love you are given.
Tracy
Excellent book, great for couples, individuals, and anyone interested in maintaining and having a positive relationship.
Karen wako
excellent book on relationships and how we sometimes have trouble accepting love from others.
Cathy
Browsed rather than read but liked what I browsed
Almer Stoffer
Deze zou iedereen moeten lezen
B
Great tips on pgs 180-192
Toni Rivera
Toni Rivera marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Eryn
Eryn marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Bvunza
Bvunza marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Nastya Andreyevna
Nastya Andreyevna marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Margo Sun
Margo Sun marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Shaymaa
Shaymaa marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Destiny
Destiny marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Yessi Young
Yessi Young marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Jasmine Holloman
Jasmine Holloman marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours
  • Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment
  • Fight Less, Love More: 5-Minute Conversations to Change Your Relationship without Blowing Up or Giving In
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Why Marriages Succeed or Fail: And How You Can Make Yours Last
  • Be the Person You Want to Find: Relationship and Self-Discovery
  • The Intimacy Factor: The Ground Rules for Overcoming the Obstacles to Truth, Respect, and Lasting Love
  • Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day
  • Intimacy & Desire: Awaken the Passion in Your Relationship
  • The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Focusing
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • Why Mars and Venus Collide
  • Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in Their Struggle for Self
  • 9 Things You Simply Must Do To Succeed in Love and Life
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
Harville Hendrix, Ph.D., is the author of Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples, a New York Times bestseller that has sold more than two million copies. He has more than thirty years’ experience as an educator and therapist. He specializes in working with couples in private practice, teaching marital therapy to therapists, and conducting couples workshops across the country. Dr. Hendrix i ...more
More about Harville Hendrix...
Getting the Love You Want : A Guide for Couples Keeping the Love You Find Making Marriage Simple: Ten Truths for Changing the Relationship You Have into the One You Want Giving The Love That Heals Getting the Love You Want Workbook: The New Couples' Study Guide

“Experiencing empathy, the freedom to explore, trust, and insight can reset your default reactions to a more curious, tolerant, and confident stance. Because our brains are plastic, consistently positive experiences do stimulate existing neurons to adapt and connect in different pathways. Nurturing relationships help us grow psychologically and neurally in ways that are not possible in nonnurturing relationships. As adults, our most important opportunity for a nurturing relationship comes through committed partnership. It’s a breakthrough to realize that the purpose of committed relationship is not to be happy, but to heal. And then you will be happy!” 0 likes