It's Not That I'm Bitter . . .: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Visible Panty Lines and Conquered the World

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  56 reviews
In a world where eye cream is made from placenta, Gina Barreca is the lone voice calling out “But wait, whose placenta is it?” She asks the crucial questions:Why is there no King Charming? Why does no bra ever fit? Why are there no tutus in XL? Why do more intelligent women have trusted psychics than have trusted financial advisors? While she definitely wants everyone to k...more
Published May 12th 2009 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not That I'm Bitter . . ., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not That I'm Bitter . . .

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
January 26, 2012 I made a quick second run through this before passing it on to a friend. Barreca goes beyond a breath of fresh air. She's a right bracing breeze.

This was the perfect choice for whiling away a dreary Sunday afternoon. With a title like that I thought it would be all lighthearted silliness, but she also shares some surprisingly profound wisdom about life in general and societal attitudes toward women. I'm always impressed by and a little envious of people who can put into just th...more
Shelley
Funny, funny, funny! This is a must read for any woman over the age of 40. Witty, sarcastic, and everything you've always wanted to say to the world. It's not that I'm bitter is the kind of book women should leave on the coffee table as a conversation starter!
Nancy
I picked this book up from the new book section at the library. It is a series of short, funny, but often true, essays about middle-age womanhood. It was a quick read; I finished it in two evenings.

From "Don't Say 'Cougar' Like It's a Bad Thing"
"The fun part about real relationships is, after all, the knowledge that you are loved and admired for who you are, not for what you do or how you look or because you showed up at the right place when someone was feeling amorous. That is what should make...more
Christina
I'm now reading this book for the second time because I like it so much. It feels like a conversation with my best friend: hilarious, intelligent, and reassuring. I understand the target audience is a little older than I am, but any woman with an honest eye and half a brain would enjoy this read. Furthermore, any man with the desire to better understand women might also want to check it out.

I never realized I was irreverent until I became an adult and suddenly people found my behavior and opini...more
yoli
It's not that I'm a cynic but in making this a mass-market and not solely academic novel, I think Barreca had to self-deprecate and de-fang some of her arguments--so they'd sell. And part of me is indignant both for her and against her because her "girly way of looking at things" is every bit as valid as someone's "womanly" or "manly" or "boyish" way of doing it and she ought to feel no shame in it. Coyness in a book with a chapter posturing against it is rather, well, stereotypically woman isn'...more
Joanne

I have seen Gina Barreca live twice this year and she is FUNNY! Very entertaining and tells it like it is – growing up in an Italian household, funny women stories of bonding, shopping and body issues and I could relate since as she starts off her session with what every woman wants to know – how old is she and how much does she weighs. Okay she’s just a few years old than me and a little heavier, but she’s also taller! That said I expected the book to be really funny. This collection of short s...more
Rebecca
Although this book is probably geared more towards women in their 40's and 50's, I (at 28) still found this book hilarious, relevant, and engaging. Barreca has a way with words that not only disarms the reader but then charms the pants of of them. The book is essentially a series of essays on what it's like to be a woman in this day and age, many including our acceptence of bizarre fashion rituals and societal expectations (just wait until you read the essay on the 'rogue hair,' ladies know what...more
Gina's new book is smart, funny, provocative, and weirdly acute about the most frustrating, embarrassing, and bizarre parts of being a woman in the world these days. My favorite bits? Chapter 5: "Why do Women Worry about Everything While Men Worry about Nothing." There's a part of that story having to do with environmental temperature and gender difference that made me laugh so hard I had to dig out my inhaler from the back of the medicine cabinet. Seriously. In short: if you ladies have any pla...more
Linda
One of the reviews I read said this book would have me laughing out loud. Guess I have no sense of humor; I didn't laugh once.
Eliza Fayle
Reading It’s Not That I’m Bitter … is like watching a stand up comedy routine, without being subjected to the inevitable annoying heckler in the audience. Unless you count my Siamese if I happen to be reading during his treat time.

The great thing about stand up comics is that they are simply stating facts about everyday life. They just happen to point out what nobody else is willing to, or they put a fantastic spin on the facts.

Gina Barreca has this down to a science when it comes to the daily l...more
Nicole Fraser
I just heard about Gina Barreca from colleagues and am so happy to have discovered her work. She's an instant favorite for me with her wit, fast pace, laser wisdom and heart.

Barreca and I are fifty-something women, simpatico in attitudes and experiences. I haven't laughed this hard since Ellen DeGeneres tried to read Fifty Shades of Gray for an audiobook.

High points include Barreca's essays "How Much of a Crazy Astronaut Lady Are You?" and "Introduction to My Girlish Way of Looking at Things,"...more
Kim
Definitely not geared towards anyone younger than middle-aged. I couldn't relate with her on several things since I'm only 23, I wasn't a fan of her style of writing, and I didn't really "get" her sense of humor. I also didn't agree with a lot of opinions she had in the book, which is fine, but not when she writes in a way like this is how every woman in America should be. The chapter on motherhood especially irked me.
Overall, it was a collection of essays haphazardly thrown together with stron...more
Miki
Parts of this are very, very funny - others are more introspective about the role of women in the world and how far (or not) we've come. It's clear that many of the essays/chapters in this book were originally written for other formats or periodicals, and there is a certain fractured feeling to it all because of that. However, there are some standout pieces, and you will - over the course of reading it all - laugh, wince, get angry, and also find yourself nodding along in self-recognition of our...more
John
I got this one from the New Books shelf at the library thinking it might be funny after flipping through it; at the same time, I was leery of an author whose occupation is shown as "Professor of English and Feminist Theory". Overall, the book is quite humorous, concentrating upon the many ways that women of a certain age ("between work-study and cremation") beat up on themselves, for lack of a better term. I didn't find her perspective so much anti-male, but that she makes generalizations about...more
Andrea
If I could I would give this book 2.5 stars. It is not as bad as the other books I have given two stars to, but not as good as most of the books I have given 3 stars.
There were a couple of parts of this book that made me laugh out loud, but they were toward the beginning and didn't reappear. I think there is a good chance I would have liked this book more if I was 20 years older as the author seems to be middle aged and wrote for that audience.
Chris
I'm spoiled by essays. See, I expect everything to be as funny as Jen Lancaster or David Sedaris, and when they aren't I'm slightly disappointed, and may judge a perfectly good book of essays too harshly. I may have begun to do that with this book, and then made myself enjoy it on its own merits and it was quite entertaining. Lots of stuff about the crazy things that women do and think. Very relatable
Bookprgirl
Amy Bloom says it best:
"Some people are funny in an acid-edged cocktail lounge, like Dorothy Parker, in a smoky French cafe, like David Sedaris, or in a crazy English country house, like P.G.Wodehouse. Gina is funny in your kitchen, in the ladies' room of your favorite restaurant, in the awful dressing room with forty-seven ugly bathing suits around you. Gina Barreca is funny, for real."
Eden
This book was at turns thought-provoking and outright funny, but always relateable. My favorite parts were those regarding "incidental mothering" (that's part of my job, too!) and Chapter 21: "Will This Shroud Make Me Look Fat?" Anyone who experiences anxiety over decisions she's made, things she's said, or wants reassurance that she's not alone will enjoy this quick read.
Rav
i am only partially through it and although it is funny and the writer is good i have a love/hate relationship with it so far. It is geared to 40-50 year olds, so at 32 I "get" the humor but so far the book doesnt really have a point. It seems to be just a chapter to chapter rant about things that irk the author.

I am only a few chapters in so maybe it gets better...

Jessica
This probably would have been funnier if I was in my 50s. I laughed out loud a few times during the first couple of chapters, but then. Started to get bored. The chapters got shorter and shorter, and weaker. Too bad by the time I'm actually in my 50s the cultural references will be out of date and I still won't be able to relate.
Rachel
Nov 30, 2009 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: 'Neric!
I liked this enough to buy it, and then my boyfriend read it after me. He liked it too, and admitted he learned about women from the book. Regina is a really smart gal, not just funny. She's out to help other women feel good about themselves and laugh at the stupid things we worry about. Remember, objects in the mirror are cuter than they appear!! :)
Bren
There were a few fun sections, and a few more were spot on. There were even more sections that illustrated that while Gina states that she's not bitter - she really is.
Rachelle Hill
Don't. I had high hopes but was sorely disappointed...yes there were funny parts and some true statements, but overall it was an endless stream of hate for her own gender. Glad I only paid bargain shelve prices...it's not that I'm bitter just apparently too young for Dr. Barreca to think I have a brain.
Cheryl
"Love is blind" No, love is not blind. ... But love is certainly hard of hearing. If people always heard what other people said, or did not choose to ignore what they meant, it would be impossible to be in love."

Favorite chapter: "How much of a crazy astronaut lady are you?"
Sunni
What I know when I finish this book is that (1) I'm guilty of many of her stupid-traps-women-fall-into descriptions and (2) I want her to be my friend! There are some major laugh-out-loud lines in these essays and she really gives you perspective on how ridiculous we can all be.
Mary (BookHounds)
I was looking for a light, funny read and this was just what I wanted. If you like Jen Lancaster or Laurie Notaro, you will probably enjoy this one. Barreca is witty and snarky, but sometimes can be a little bit preachy. This was a very quick read
Jason
Very funny! I enjoyed the political commentary as well as the social commentary. My favorite passage was perhaps the one about young women on the beach being like gazelles in their native habitat--something age makes one appreciate more each year!
Tracyj
It had really high hopes for this book. Some of the essays are laugh out loud funny, others I just couldn't relate too. Some had the attitude of "I am woman hear me roar" others "I'm just a girl, hear me whine."
Tiffany
Very funny. Sometimes too sarcastic and jaded. Maybe it's because of the age difference, but the farther I read into this book the less I could relate to it. Still a good read for any woman.
Jenn
A less silly, female Dave Barry. The only thing that could make her better is if she were a generation younger, so I could identify even MORE with the stories she tells.
Funny Advice on family gatherings -- in time for Easter and Passover 1 2 Apr 07, 2012 05:42AM
  • Book
  • Have You No Shame?: And Other Regrettable Stories
  • Who Gets the Drumstick?: The Story of the Beardsley Family
  • My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman
  • Up For Renewal: What Magazines Taught Me About Love, Sex, and Starting Over
  • Read My Hips: How I Learned to Love My Body, Ditch Dieting, and Live Large
  • Tales from the Expat Harem: Foreign Women in Modern Turkey
  • Helping Me Help Myself: One Skeptic, Ten Self-Help Gurus, and a Year on the Brink of the Comfort Zone
  • An Alphabetical Life: Living It Up in the World of Books
  • I'm Kind of a Big Deal: And Other Delusions of Adequacy
  • Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life
  • Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind
  • The Customer Is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles
  • Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad
  • This Land Is Their Land: Reports from a Divided Nation
  • It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life in Your Twenties
  • It's Hard Not to Hate You: A Memoir
  • The Pope and Mussolini: The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe
Make Mine a Double: Why Women Like Us Like to Drink (or Not) Babes in Boyland: A Personal History of Co-Education in the Ivy League They Used to Call Me Snow White . . . But I Drifted: Women's Strategic Use of Humor I'm with Stupid: One Man, One Woman, 10,000 Years of Misunderstanding Between the Sexes Cleared Right Up Babes in Boyland

“How about "diamonds are a girl's best friends"? Nope. It should be switched around and pointed out, instead, that your best friends are diamonds.” 39 likes
“...there is a celebrated aphorism insisting that the best way to live is to 'work like you don't need the money, dance like nobody is watching, and love like you've never been hurt.'...After years of hearing and reading these lines I have decided to tell the truth: the original version is wrong. There is a grave error in the wording of this adage. The correct version should go as follows:

Love like you don't need the money,
Work like nobody is watching,
Dance like you've never been hurt.

See? Doesn't that make more sense?”
17 likes