Start by marking “Here Speeching American: A Very Strange Guide to English as It Is Garbled Around the World” as Want to Read:

THE STRANGEST (AND FUNNIEST) TRAVEL GUIDE YOU’LL EVER READ

The celebrated authors of the perennial bestseller The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said set the typical travel guide squarely on its head–taking you from the airport to the hotel, from sightseeing to dining out–by using 100 percent real examples of fractured English as spoken and posted abroad:

• Feel like shopping?
We
Published October 5th 2004 by Villard (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Here Speeching American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Speeching American

Liz
May 14, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have been laughing our heads off, reading bits of this out loud to each other. There are quotes from signs and other sources around the world that often don’t say QUITE what the writers must have meant, since the signs are in English, but the writers have a different native tongue. These are some of my favorites:

The manager has personally passed all the water served here. (sign in a hotel, Acapulco)

Not to perambulate the corridors in the hours of repose in the boots of ascension. (sign in a s
Elaine Meszaros
Dec 03, 2014 Elaine Meszaros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So enough with the serious literature already.

The Petras siblings came up with a hilarious little collection of horribly, painfully mangled attempts at English from around the world. Fans of engrish.com will recognize some of the old favorites ("No smorking!") but there is a world of doozies here:

Travel - "Lhasa Reception Centre for the Unorganized Tourist" sign in Tibet
Rules - "Foot Wearing Prohibited" Buddhist template, Burma
Road Signs - "The Slippers are Very Crafty" - China (wet roads)
Wonder
Cheryl
Jun 06, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This lighthearted book gives the reader a look at real signs, brochures, advertising, and clothing which have been printed in “English” in other countries. Some translations are hilariously funny, but in a risqué way, others are just downright funny. If you’re looking for humor, you can’t beat this “English as it is scrambled overseas” book!
Korea: “Upon arrival at Kimo and Kimahie Airport, please Wear your Clothes”
Copenhagen, Denmark (airport): “We take your bags and send them in all directions
William
Apr 21, 2012 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Garbled English from around the world. Of course it is humorous. I never expected it to have me laughing out loud at times, however, which is hard for anyone or anything to do -- so I rated this book five stars simply because it achieved occasionally the amazing.
Alyson
Dec 26, 2012 Alyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
Wonderously hilarious. I'll never get tired of English that is so bad, it's good. A nice quick read for a great laugh.
Shinaka
Dec 30, 2007 Shinaka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor and who doesn't mind reading quotes/excerpts from instruction manuals
This book almost made me pee my pants with laughter. And I have incredibly good bladder control too.
Rossi
May 25, 2011 Rossi rated it it was amazing
This book is a riot. A quick read and so funny.
Jenn
Jan 01, 2015 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so funny, I was in tears. Definitely a LOL book.
Tara Stone
Tara Stone rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2009
elstaffe
elstaffe rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Amy Dutton
Amy Dutton rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
julie kinney
julie kinney rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Catmom
Catmom rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Morganucopia
Morganucopia rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2009
Omar
Omar rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Alessandra
Alessandra rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
PfromJ
PfromJ rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Dartaijah
Dartaijah rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
May 25, 2009
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Lisa Hanson
Lisa Hanson rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Chris Feldman
Chris Feldman rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2009
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2008
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Laura Kirk
Laura Kirk rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Teri
Teri rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2008