Start by marking “In Deep” as Want to Read:

In Deep

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Contents:
Four in One (1953)
An Eye for a What? (1957)
The Handler (1960)
Stranger Station (1956)
Ask Me Anything (1951)
The Country of the Kind (1956)
Ticket to Anywhere (1952)
Beachcomber (1952)
172 pages
Published January 1978 by Magnum Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about In Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Deep

notgettingenough
Our b/f discussion a few mornings ago turned to science fiction and the idea that it has become mainstream. I beg to differ. When browsing the science fiction shelves of various bookshops recently what stood out for me was utter predominance of fantasy. There was almost no science fiction. And this is reflected in science fiction movies: (a) there are almost none and (b) they are generally done as fantasy perhaps because that IS now mainstream.

Oh for the days when science fiction was about rocke
Manny
Mid Twentieth Century Science-Fiction (1 hour)

"The central message of Damon Knight's The Country of the Kind is that it is impossible to be fully human without being capable of psychotic violence."

a) To what extent do you think that this is a fair representation of the story? Why?

b) Do you agree with the above thesis? Give arguments for and against.

c) Do you consider it relevant that the author is American?
Andrew
This along with Far out (watch this space) were two books I collected when I bought a job lot of science fiction books. To be honest I had not until now read much if any of Damon Knight - I knew the name as he seemed to have cropped up in numerous short story anthologies as either editor or contributor but this is the first time I have read an entire book of his work.

And to be honest I am quite surprised - yes he is most definitely of a specific age in science fiction - I guess to some it would
TrumanCoyote
First reading: * * * *

REREADING: Contains one of the all-time great stories: "Country Of the Kind"--which always makes me think of the Who for some reason (I wonder if Townshend's ever read it?). Also the scuba scene reminded me of The Graduate. A punk story for 1955. And a nicely wry, droll offering in "Ask Me Anything" (not as many bastard characters here as in Far Out--but there's one of them); along with the sardonic "Beachcomber" (though you'd think with his many futuristic talents he might
Brian R. Mcdonald
Go ref: p. 10 [in story "Four in One":]; by the mid twenty-first century, the board had grown to 30x30; three paragraph description, then used as an analogy for space expansion by two empires.
Ben
Fantastic fiction in the best sense. Eight superbly crafted science-fiction treasures from the 50's that brim with creativity and exemplify the best of thought-provoking entertainment.
Mckinley
Trying to figure out what they are dealing with. Old school sci-fi of the sort I enjoy.
Sabalos
Sabalos marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
John D.
John D. marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Akeel
Akeel marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Damon Francis Knight was an American science fiction author, editor, and critic.
Knight's first professional sale was a cartoon drawing to a science-fiction magazine, Amazing Stories. His first story, "Resilience", was published in 1941. He is best known as the author of "To Serve Man", which was adapted for The Twilight Zone. He was a recipient of the Hugo Award, founder of the Science Fiction and
More about Damon Knight...
Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction The Best of Damon Knight To Serve Man A for Anything The Man in the Tree