Start by marking “In Deep” as Want to Read:
In Deep

In Deep

Contents:
Four in One (1953)
An Eye for a What? (1957)
The Handler (1960)
Stranger Station (1956)
Ask Me Anything (1951)
The Country of the Kind (1956)
Ticket to Anywhere (1952)
Beachcomber (1952)
172 pages
Published January 1978 by Magnum Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about In Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Deep

notgettingenough
Mar 20, 2013 notgettingenough rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Our b/f discussion a few mornings ago turned to science fiction and the idea that it has become mainstream. I beg to differ. When browsing the science fiction shelves of various bookshops recently what stood out for me was utter predominance of fantasy. There was almost no science fiction. And this is reflected in science fiction movies: (a) there are almost none and (b) they are generally done as fantasy perhaps because that IS now mainstream.

Oh for the days when science fiction was about rocke
Manny
Mar 22, 2013 Manny rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Mid Twentieth Century Science-Fiction (1 hour)

"The central message of Damon Knight's The Country of the Kind is that it is impossible to be fully human without being capable of psychotic violence."

a) To what extent do you think that this is a fair representation of the story? Why?

b) Do you agree with the above thesis? Give arguments for and against.

c) Do you consider it relevant that the author is American?
TrumanCoyote
Dec 31, 2015 TrumanCoyote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The style is of course always nicely acerbic (as per Damon's tradition). But a few of these seemed based on some...well, kinda goofy underpinnings. Unlike with Far Out, they weren't so much snide as just kinda weird. "Stranger Station" (and "Ask Me Anything") probably played better at the time than they do now; their satire has been diluted by the years, and now they seem more an example of that sort of mindset than an expose.

[First reading: * * * *]

[Second Reading: * * * Contains one of the all
Andrew
Jul 23, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This along with Far out (watch this space) were two books I collected when I bought a job lot of science fiction books. To be honest I had not until now read much if any of Damon Knight - I knew the name as he seemed to have cropped up in numerous short story anthologies as either editor or contributor but this is the first time I have read an entire book of his work.

And to be honest I am quite surprised - yes he is most definitely of a specific age in science fiction - I guess to some it would
Brian R. Mcdonald
Go ref: p. 10 [in story "Four in One":]; by the mid twenty-first century, the board had grown to 30x30; three paragraph description, then used as an analogy for space expansion by two empires.
Ben
Jun 11, 2010 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic fiction in the best sense. Eight superbly crafted science-fiction treasures from the 50's that brim with creativity and exemplify the best of thought-provoking entertainment.
Mckinley
Apr 04, 2012 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, short-story, aliens
Trying to figure out what they are dealing with. Old school sci-fi of the sort I enjoy.
Michael Brady
Jan 03, 2014 Michael Brady rated it really liked it
Dark, creepy, and fun!
Lou
Lou added it
Sep 10, 2016
Jonathon Vick
Jonathon Vick marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Clay Jordan
Clay Jordan marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Burke Burke
Burke Burke rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 19, 2016
Stephen McGarry
Stephen McGarry rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2016
James Bowman
James Bowman marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Dougr
Dougr marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Casey Carter
Casey Carter rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Rand
Rand marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Brenda Kalt
Brenda Kalt rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Mark Phillips
Mark Phillips rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Cambria
Cambria marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
JerryB
JerryB rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Damon Francis Knight was an American science fiction author, editor, and critic.
Knight's first professional sale was a cartoon drawing to a science-fiction magazine, Amazing Stories. His first story, "Resilience", was published in 1941. He is best known as the author of "To Serve Man", which was adapted for The Twilight Zone. He was a recipient of the Hugo Award, founder of the Science Fiction and
More about Damon Knight...