Six-Dinner Sid

Six-Dinner Sid (Six Dinner Sid #1)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  450 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Unbeknownst to each of his owners, Sid the cat lives with six different people on the same street. By doing so, he's able to get six different dinners every night! He also answers to six names, sleeps in six beds, and maintains six different personalities.
Published April 1st 1993 by Aladdin (first published May 1st 1991)

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
34th out of 319 books — 149 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronKris by Patrick O'ScheenHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperInto the Wild by Erin HunterCleo by Helen Brown
Best Cat Books
12th out of 154 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
4 ½ stars – ½ star off for calling Sid’s people his owners. I hate that term as it relates to dogs, cats, and all animals.

But this is a wonderful book. It complately charmed me.

The illustrations are fabulous. I love each painting. I love the colors, style, expressiveness, especially of Sid. I love the page with the 6 different places to be scratched.

The author definitely knows cats. I think all cat lovers will enjoy this book.

I really enjoyed the story of wily Sid. I love the street names Arist...more
Ami
Feb 21, 2010 Ami added it
Shelves: 2010
A cat named Sid fools six neighbors on one street into thinking that he is their cat, in order to get six dinners. And when he gets a cough, he's taken six times to the vet, who realizes that Sid is only one cat, and tells all of his "owners". They get mad, so Sid moves to a different street, where everyone knows his game, and the last line of the book reads, "...and because everyone knew, nobody minded". I wonder if the author is polyamorous...?

I didn't care for it because I worried that some k...more
Elys
'Six Dinner Sid' is a lovely story, great for children in the EYFS, and potentially into Year One as well. Sid is a cat, who likes to eat six dinners a day, so he lives at numbers 1-6 Aristotle Street (unbeknownst to his owners, who, because they don't speak to each other, each think he is theirs exclusively). Sid's life is perfect until he catches a cold and is taken to the vet, who works out Sid's secret, and, ahem, 'lets the cat out of the bag'. Unhappy with his new ration of one dinner a day...more
Mairead Flannery
This is a lovely story about a cat named Sid who loved his dinners. Every day he didn’t only have one dinner, he had six! He didn’t get his dinners from just one owner; no Sid had six owners who feed him dinner dinners every day. Sid was the only one that knew. His owners all thought they were his only owner. Then one day this would all change. What is going to happen to Sid? Will he still get his six dinners?

I like this story because it is able to keep the children attention throughout. The chi...more
Tracey Young
Simply the sweetest and funniest little story. This book is about a cat called Sid who has six different owners, therefore he has six dinners each day. None if his owners know about each other until one day they find out. The book has delightful illustrations of Sid's many comic facial expressions. There is a nice little twist at the end has the right blend of cheekiness and morality to appeal to us all. Very clever use of street names where Sid lived, it will be many years before the children a...more
Zurks
I absolutely loved this and wish I had children to read with.

The pictures and story were engaging, Sid makes a cute cat, and there were lessons behind the story, eg. the moral of honesty, an insight into different household compositions, and community values. Short, sweet and entertaining. Plus, I like cats.
Cal
As a cat person, I love this book. I have definitely suspected certain cats in my house of doing this. The illustrations have a lot of character, especially the one with him getting fed medicine over and over and over xD This was a childhood favorite of mine.
Sonia
well loved in our family. especially the subtle wit of the illustrations showing Sid`s changing moods.
Rob
Such a creative and fantastic kid's book. Especially that ending. ("Everyone knew, so nobody cared.")
The most lovely book I could imagine, teaching children that loving doesn't mean you own someone.
Kate
This was one of my favorite books to read as a child, now my daughter loves to read it with me!!!

All is perfect for Sid - until the day he catches a dreadful cough. Then it is off to the vet not once, but six times! Inga Moore's humorous illust...more
Rachel
‘Six-Dinner Sid’ by Inga Moore is an entertaining tale about a mischievous cat. Sid lives with six different neighbours in six different houses on the same street. Sid gets to have six different dinners every evening as each neighbour thinks the cat belongs to them. As you can imagine, Sid is definitely a cat ‘who got the cream’. Life was perfect for Sid until he caught a nasty cough. He went to the vet not once but a grand total of six times. The vet found it quite strange that six cats on the...more
Farah
Gue sukaaaa banget sama buku ini.
Buku ini lucu sekali.
Jenis buku yang akan gue beli, berapapun harganya, dan akan gue bacakan ke anak gue kelak.
Karena gue bacain buku ini ke keponakan gue, dan dia ketawa ngikik.

Ceritanya, Sid ini tinggal di jalan Aristotle dimana penghuninya ngga 'nenangga'. Jadi ga pernah tegor-tegoran satu sama lain. Dan si Kucing bernama Sid ini memanfaatkan keadaan itu dengan begitu pinternya sampe-sampe dia bisa dapet 6 kali dinner. Huahahahahahaha...
Hebatnya, dia juga jag...more
Emelda
Aw, this book was so cute! I just got it on Amazon after reading that it might be a good book for polyamorous families to read to their kids and discuss (and, after reading this, I’d say any family that has more than two parents- step parents, birth parents, etc.)

It’s an adorable picture book about a black cat (also, LOVE! Black cats- and all black animals- are killed at higher rates in shelters, so yay for books starring them!) whose name is Sid. He “scams” 6 different families into giving him...more
Teresa Richardson
Poor Sid is living the good life until he catches a cold and then the jig is up. None of his "owners" speak to each other, so no one knows that Sid is eating at six different houses each day. Sid gets caught and decides to leave the neighborhood and finds six new houses. It is a great book that kept my 8 year old engaged, probably because he thinks Sid looks a lot like one of his cats.
Barbara
Sid is one smart cat. He's got six different families who think they own him -- all on the same block. He got a different dinner from each one every day and no one got wise to Sid's duplicity because none of the neighbors ever talked to each other. All that changed, however, when Sid caught a nasty cough, and all six "owners" took Sid to the same vet, where he was given six different doses of medicine. After seeing the same cat six times in a day, he got suspicious, checked his address book and...more
Holly
I remember this story so well from my childhood, one of my favourites.
Sabrina
This is a really fun read and Sid is irresistible.
Heather
The boys were laughing at this book. They thought it was so funny to see how the cat worked so hard to get six dinners. A cute story with a happy ending.

You could use this book for counting to six as well as ordinal numbers (first, second, etc). You could also do simple addition (one meal plus one more = and so on).

While it was cute and somewhat educational if tweaked, I'm not sure I'll be using it again. I guess I'll just have to see what other books are out there to teach the same informatio...more
Ellen Pilch
I love this children's book and I don't even have kids. I will read anything about cats-and I read books like this to my cats. This book reminded me of a cat in our neighborhood who also went from house to house for his meals. This kitty ends up sick and going to the vet 6 times. It has a cute surprise ending that I didn't see coming- rare for a children's book. The cat in my neighborhood ended up as one of our indoor cats and is very happy.
Hatka Prozorac
The book Six-Dinner Sid by Inga Moore focuses on the number six. The book can be used as a resource for lessons on counting. the book can also be used to discuss characteristics of cats to children. The authors describes specific characteristics of multicultural characters which are present within the neighborhood in the book. This book can be used in Pre-K to 2 grade classrooms.
Tina
One of our favorite books! We actually had a cat who did this (lived at more than one house)! We called him Shalom and thought he was our cat and our neighbors called him Valentine and he ate at their house too! He ended up moving to Florida with them because we couldn't have cats and we were moving to an apartment! Good timing. He was a great cat! This is a very clever storyline.
Meg
A lovely read-aloud that (to me, at least,) would never get old. This is the story of Six-Dinner Sid, who eats six dinners each night-- one at each house on his street because he "belongs" to six different families. We all know cats like this, so taking the story a step further than one's usual speculation really makes it enjoyable. I especially appreciated the ending.
Becca
This book was hilarious to me as a child!
Katherine
I love the illustrations in this book and the story of Sid is a great hit with my two grandsons since our tom cat Herman moved out last year for four months, coming home for little visits. He even came home sporting a new collar on one visit! So we can sure relate to Sid in our house!! If you love cats you will love this great book :o)
Kathy Ferrell
Had to read this because he looks exactly like my cat, who would definitely eat six dinners if allowed! Kids will love finding out how super-smart Sid has the whole neighborhood conned, until the people get wise and do what's best for his health! Funny and a great read-aloud!
Clairissa D
This Children's book is about a cat that lives with six different people with in the neighborhood, has several names , and just as the title states she receives six meals one from each house. This book could be used to discuss characters and elements of a story.
heidi
Apr 20, 2012 heidi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
My kids and I both love this book. The art is pretty without being distracting. Sid is drawn very expressively, and as a real character, without being a talking animal. The message of sharing, openess, and flexibility are important and come in handy in our lives.
Ashlee Gibson
This book is about a cat that lives at six different houses on the same street. He always gets six of everything which is usually in his favor. This book is a good way for children to count ordinal numbers or maybe a good way to introduce a math lesson.
  • Mog the Forgetful Cat
  • April's Kittens
  • Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
Inga Moore is a distinguished author and illustrator of children’s books whose illustrated titles include acclaimed versions of THE SECRET GARDEN and THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS. She lives in England.
More about Inga Moore...
A House in the Woods Captain Cat Six Dinner Sid: A Highland Adventure The Truffle Hunter The Sorcerer's Apprentice