Start by marking “Martha Calling” as Want to Read:
Martha Calling

Martha Calling (Martha Speaks)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Martha's back and this time she's talking up a storm on the telephone! When she wins a free weekend for her and her family at the Come-On-Inn, the trouble really begins.
Published August 26th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Martha Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martha Calling

Heidi
An interesting story of what it might be like for a dog who can talk. I enjoyed some of the humor in the book (especially the toupee). A fun read. Would never work for a storytime because of all the speech bubbles. But a great lap-sit. And probably one animal lovers would very much enjoy.
Cathy
There was one scene in this book that made me laugh out loud. Another great entry by Susan Meddaugh in her Martha series. Everyone knows I'm a sucker for dogs, but I'd bet that any kid would like this one, and many adults, too.
Patricia
Shaundell
Martha is a unique dog who loves letters and can talk. One day, after hearing a radio contest, calls in with the right answer and her family wins a trip to the Come-On-Inn. However, no dogs are allowed! Martha, in disguise, manages to create quite a scene and then uses her words to smooth things over with the hotel management and guests, and even manages to get hired on as a part-time employee!

The Martha books are adorable and one of our favorite series!
Ashely
Dylan & Belle at LearnPlayFun
Rated and reviewed by Dylan, age 7:

This book is about a dog who eats alphabet soup. Martha talks and she wins a trip but no dogs are allowed. My favorite part was when she said isn't it time for my dinner, right at the beginning. And also when she told everyone she was mad.
Marie
Martha the talking dog from Martha Speaks is back and talking on the phone to the butcher, the grocer, her friends...just about anyone. My 4-year-old daughter wanted to feed alphabet soup to our dog so she could speak English. Second in a series.
Rima Halig
A fun book to read if you have some extra time in the classroom. About a dog who loves to talk so much, people dont even know they are talking to a dog when they are on the phone!
Alexandria
Martha is always on the phone for something like a meat delivery, 911, game shows, the president, and the dog pound.
Samantha
Dec 18, 2011 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
I love Martha!!! Whenever I read Martha, I always want to go buy a dog...oh well. Soon. =)
Jenny
Martha's back! Same fun plot of a lovable, talking dog that everyone loves.
Lyla
Both of my children love this book! It's really fun and creative.
Jenni
Mar 28, 2009 Jenni rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1st to 3rd grade children
Although not as good as Martha Speaks, it is still a fun book.
Melanie
On the fence with classifying it favorite characters.
Rachel
Another fun Martha story, great theme of acceptance.
Cana
Mommy says: We love Martha!
Martha calling the meat shop.
Christi
Talking dogs never get old
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Maggy
Maggy marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Saadia
Saadia added it
Nov 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Susan Meddaugh was born and raised in Montclair, New Jersey. She graduated from Wheaton College, where she studied French literature and fine arts. After working briefly with an advertising agency in New York, she moved to Boston and worked at a publishing company for ten years, first as a designer, then art editor, and finally as art director. While there, she did the illustrations for GOOD STONE ...more
More about Susan Meddaugh...

Martha Speaks (6 books)
  • Martha Speaks
  • Martha Blah Blah
  • Martha Walks the Dog
  • Martha and Skits
  • Perfectly Martha
Martha Speaks Martha Blah Blah The Witches' Supermarket Cinderella's Rat The Witch's Walking Stick