Start by marking “Perfectly Martha” as Want to Read:
Perfectly Martha

Perfectly Martha (Martha Speaks)

What do people really want from a dog? When Otis Weaselgraft opens up his Perfect Pup Institute, promising to train even the most drooling, barking, scratching, squirrel-chasing dog to be perfectly obedient in only three steps, Martha smells a rat. She knows dogs are already perfect. But Weaselgraft claims he can make man’s best friend even better. Word of his amazing prog ...more
Published March 29th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Antoinette Evans
Apr 20, 2015 Antoinette Evans rated it really liked it
This story is about a dog named Martha who eats a bowl of alphabet soup and finds that she can talk because of it. I thought this book was very cute, well-written, and very well-illustrated. I thought that the idea for this book was very creative and humorous. Due to the story being about dogs and dogs talking, children would really enjoy this book and be fully engaged with it. Perfectly Martha is easy to read and would make a great book for younger readers who are just beginning to read.
Edward Creter
Apr 29, 2014 Edward Creter rated it liked it
Message to the socalled "Dog Whisperer: read this book and smell what crap you made with your life. When Martha the talking dog investigates claims that a scientist can calm a dog thru obedience technology and mind control, she herself almost ends up in big trouble when a helper locks her away and plans to use her vocal stylings for his own monetary gain. BAD HUMAN! (And Dog Whisperer, this means YOU! Word of advice: try actually whispering instead of controlling, and show affection w/o expectin ...more
Feb 08, 2015 Tori rated it liked it
It is a cute book. The story is a nice way of showing how telling the truth is better then telling a lie. It teaches children that telling a lie is bad and people will find out in the end. I will put this in my classroom library and use it when teaching about telling the truth.
Darian Schwerdtfeger
Dec 01, 2015 Darian Schwerdtfeger rated it really liked it
This story is very humorous and creative. Its is also well written and very well illustrated. Children would really enjoy this book because it is about a dog who talks.

Jan 01, 2012 Patty rated it liked it
Shelves: children-picture
Jul 13, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book about Martha, a talking dog. We have seen "Martha Speaks" on PBS Kids, but haven't read too many of the books yet. In this tale, Martha uncovers a racket to make all dogs obedient robots. Sounds like a dog version of the The Stepford Wives...
Jan 03, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
There's a new dog trainer in town, and it appears that he finally has the stuff to give pet owners exactly what they want. But, Martha thinks he is hiding something. Martha is ready to sniff up some clues and unravel the mystery of the Perfectly Behaved pups. A fun story filled with plenty of laughs. =)
Apr 18, 2012 Eve rated it did not like it
Shelves: mariam
As much as we love the Martha books, this one was definitely too dark and heavy for little kids. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but a dog 'trainer' that physically manipulates dogs' brains was kind of upsetting for me too. One star.
Sep 06, 2007 Molly rated it really liked it
I love the Martha series of books. I'm currently reading this one and will read it at least once a day until it's due back at the library. Or maybe even longer as kids' books don't accrue fines.
its fun and martha the dog is a very good helper and she help other pet like cats and other dogs ..!and help around the house he's living in..!

By;jarvarous Mckinstry <3
Apr 24, 2009 RaeLene rated it really liked it
Shelves: 26-picture-books
Picture story: A book about a talking dog named Martha who is suspicious of a new dog trainer. The dogs obedience seem too good to be true.
Jun 07, 2008 Katrina rated it really liked it
Martha can speak and exposes a phoney dog trainer who invented a devise that blockes the thinking part of the brain
Jun 21, 2011 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I guess we're just not that into talking dogs, but this was a flub at our house.
Aug 01, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, mystery
Martha solves the mystery of the dog trainers who make the dogs perfect.
Jan 01, 2012 Alexandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love Martha. She is so full of excitement sometimes.
Christine rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
The added it
Sep 03, 2016
Crystal rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Rachel added it
Aug 10, 2016
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
MAReK rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Sharon rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
AKD added it
Mar 05, 2016
Charley Zirbel
Charley Zirbel marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Susan Meddaugh was born and raised in Montclair, New Jersey. She graduated from Wheaton College, where she studied French literature and fine arts. After working briefly with an advertising agency in New York, she moved to Boston and worked at a publishing company for ten years, first as a designer, then art editor, and finally as art director. While there, she did the illustrations for GOOD STONE ...more
More about Susan Meddaugh...

Martha Speaks (6 books)