Start by marking “The Green Hour: A Daily Dose of Nature for Happier, Healthier, Smarter Kids” as Want to Read:
The Green Hour: A Daily Dose of Nature for Happier, Healthier, Smarter Kids

The Green Hour: A Daily Dose of Nature for Happier, Healthier, Smarter Kids

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The National Wildlife Federation, on its website GreenHour.org, recommends that parents give their kids a “Green Hour” every day—a time for unstructured play and interaction with the natural world. Whether in the backyard, the local park, or a green space farther afield, time spent outdoors is essential to the healthy development of young minds, bodies, and spirits.

Todd C
Published March 16th 2010 by Roost Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Hour

Vivian
I gave this five stars because I am super supportive of the ideas shared in this book! The author is the creator of the GreenHour.org website. The author references The Last Child in the Woods (2005)by Richard Louv who coins the term "nature-deficit disorder".

In his introduction (well worth reading), reports that the annual dollars spent on marketing to today's media-prone children has increased from $100 million twenty-five years ago to $17 billion today. He observes, "the signal-to-noise rati
Alisha
Aug 08, 2012 Alisha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I loved this. The biggest bummer is that I only discovered it in Arizona and it is definitely written for people east of the Rockies, where there is nature other than desert. But aside from that, it was full of great art and science activities and had a fabulous introduction about the importance of nature. It even inspired me to check out the Perseid shower this weekend!
I wish I had time to read it all through, but I will definitely get back to it in time. I like the more scientific (yet totally accessible) presentation. Some books are all fluff and some are all science, this one strikes the right balance. Good child raising info. Useful resource guide.
Shine Bigelow
Aug 18, 2011 Shine Bigelow marked it as to-read
I started this book. Haven't finished it yet, it was due back to the library :) but I loved it. I love the idea of having our kids be outside more. I totally agree with that. And it is fun to have lots of ideas of how to do it.
Rebecca
My favorite quote from this book by David Sobel,

"If we want children to flourish..let us allow them to love the earth before we ask them to save it."
Jen
Talks about the importance of having children play in mother nature. I liked the comments, but wasn't blown away with the book.
Kristen
Good premise but The activities were too obvious for me. I was looking for more creative stuff to do.
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Sarahveza
Sarahveza marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Mike_hinterberg
Mike_hinterberg marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Bree
Bree marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Sarah James
Sarah James marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Heidi
Heidi added it
Sep 10, 2013
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mary Pretends Mary Pretends: When Bullying Goes Too Far National Wildlife Federation March 2008 Wild Animal Baby (March 2008 Glossy Cardstock Printing, Baby Cheetah)