Start by marking “Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 5

Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 5 (Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks 5)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  168 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Collects The X-Men #132-140, Annual #4, Bizarre Adventures #27, Phoenix: The Untold Story #1
Published January 19th 2005 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Masterworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Masterworks

Lesley
Jul 02, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The death of Jean Grey is probably one of the most well-known events in Marvel history, and the story definitely lived up to the hype. This is where I'm jumping on to the Marvel/x-men ship, and I was able to follow everything easily and, beyond that, care for the characters and what happened to them. This, of course, applies the most to Jean Grey. And while I understand that the act of blowing up a moon and consequently wiping out a heavily populated world is something that's hard to come back f ...more
Review will follow later
Stephen
This volume continues Chris Claremont's run in Uncanny X-Men with issues 132-140. I read some of these in my youth. I loved the 80's and 90's X-men comics and all the crazy crossovers that begin not long after this volume ends. Even over 30 years later, I am amazed at the ability of Claremont to complete the epic Dark Phoenix Saga in just a few issues.

As a teenager, I thought that Claremont was quite possibly the greatest writer in the history of comics. Since then, I have been exposed to Grant
Neil
Aug 04, 2014 Neil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the ultimate X-Men storyline, the one that changed everything and made the book the piece of comic's history it has become. Excellent collection, including rare extra material and the alternate ending version of the Dark Phoenix saga. Always fun to relive my adolescence, re-reading these books.
Heather Fryling
Jan 08, 2015 Heather Fryling rated it it was amazing
The climax of the Dark Phoenix Saga, arguably the most famous story arc in all the X-Men.

If you want to jump into X-Men but don't want to spend all the time to read the early volumes, issue 138, contained here, summarizes the X-Men's entire history up to 1980.
Edward Davies
Jul 23, 2015 Edward Davies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Phoenix Saga continues and reaches it's epic conclusion, plus there's a two part story featuring Alpha Flight and an Annual guest starring Doctor Strange! And there's a rare look out how the Phoenix Sage could have ended. One of the best in the Masterworks collection.
Patrickderaaff
Oct 04, 2012 Patrickderaaff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-men
Once upon a time there was a young woman named Jean Grey. She was born a mutant with telepathic and telekinetic powers and joined Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, as well as the superhero team The X-men (feared and hated by a world they have sworn to protect). One day she flew to the stars and died. Then she was reborn with the powers of a goddess. But power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. She saved the Universe and then became the biggest threat to it. When face ...more
Taco Stocco
Jun 12, 2014 Taco Stocco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mr, Baggins
I thought this was a great collection of some of the finest X-men comics ever assembled. It does include one of the all time great stories (the Dark Phoenix Saga), and I also appreciated that they included comics after the Dark Phoenix Saga which dealt with the fallout. Additionally, it was nice to read a lot of comics that were from Cyclops point of view, showing evermore that what makes x-men great is thatit is a group comic series, not an individual one.
James
Jul 01, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Contains the Dark Phoenix Saga, which, for my money, is the greatest superhero epic ever produced. So there's that! The follow-up splits the cast for a breather. Cyclops heads off on his own, Kitty comes into life at the mansion and Wolverine and Nightcrawler go hunt the Wendigo, an arc that continues the humanization of Wolverine. It's decent stuff, but the heart of the arc is at the start.

Read digital versions.
Stephen
These were published in 1980, and they're just a little too classic cheesy comic book style for me. The writing and the narration are clearly from before comics and graphic novels took a darker turn. The Dark Phoenix stuff is a really great storyline though that's also very central to the Marvel universe so it made me able to understand a lot of other stuff I've read.
Steven
Jun 08, 2015 Steven rated it it was ok
The Dark Phoenix saga
Jonathan
Jan 16, 2013 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
classic x-men
Adele Charlotte
Adele Charlotte rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Rocky
Rocky rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Rae Moore
Rae Moore is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2016
Mark Fraley
Mark Fraley rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Quantum Zane
Quantum Zane rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Sierra Weaver
Sierra Weaver marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Joey Dean
Joey Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Milena
Milena marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Ulrik
Ulrik rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Nathan Hunter
Nathan Hunter rated it it was ok
May 17, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Matt R. R.
Matt R. R. rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Marvel Reader
Marvel Reader marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 2
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 6
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 3
  • Fantastic Four, by John Byrne: Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Avengers Assemble, Vol. 3
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: Origin of the Hobgoblin
  • X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark Hors
More about Chris Claremont...

Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1 (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1