Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5: Ultimate War

Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5: Ultimate War (Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks #5)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,338 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When the X-Men do the worst thing that they could do to humanity, the government orders the 'Ultimates' to bring them down. A small but lethal army were created to combat the rising threats to mankind. But the X-Men haven't been training for nothing - and the young mutants might just take out the Ultimates first. Ages 12+.
Published September 13th 2006 by Marvel (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5

Nicolo Yu
The title is an appropriate name for what was a historic clash between two of Marvel’s biggest super-teams. This pre-dated this year’s Avengers Vs. X-Men event by almost a decade, but this was set in the alternate Ultimate Universe. On the run and underground, the mutants gave as good as they got against the government-sanctioned Ultimates, this universe’s version of the Avengers.

This miniseries sets up Mark Millar’s final arc on the title he helped launch with Adam Kubert. Millar, with Brian Be...more
Mike
Something about this book doesn't sit right with me. Sure it's got Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates. Sure it's written by Mark Millar who's been a favourite of mine for a while. It's got some aggressive tactics and little of the "heroes posing while they monologue".

I don't know if this stuff ages particularly well. I read most of Ultimate X-Men a number of years ago, which I enjoyed quite a bit then. But the thought occurs to me that this stuff doesn't age particularly well - too many then-curre...more
Charles
Talyseon Talyseon
Classic "Two Good Guy Teams Fight" story. It's the X-Men versus the Ultimates, this universes version of the Avengers. What's not to love? Check out my full review: Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate War
Federiken Masters
Oct 10, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Incondicionales del autor y los personajes
Recommended to Federiken by: Completismo
Y este tomo parece tan pero tan "comercial" en el sentido más literal y básico del término, que estuvo cerca de las dos estrellas. Los diálogos y vueltas de tuerca de Millar nunca me resultaron tan tirados de los pelos y los dibujos de Bachalo nunca tan poco claros. Ambos son buenos en lo que hacen casi siempre, pero no es el caso de este crossover medio forzado. Lo estoy leyendo de la edición Marvel Deluxe que incluye también "El retorno del Rey", así que veré si con esa otra historia el tomote...more
James Bardo
The buildup to the final battle is almost the whole comic book, and it delivers an epic finale.
Chris
Interesting story, fun to see the ultimate version of the x-men take on the ultimates.
Tym
I really wanted to be able to give this graphic novel 5 stars but the art was just too inconsistent. At times the art was really good and other times it looked like the artist was actually trying to make everyone ugly. The story was great though and it was interesting to see that Cap remembered Wolverine from WW2 in this Universe too.
Jeff Raymond
I’m enjoying the Ultimate-verse brand of X-Men, but the ages are really skewing me and since I’m actually somewhat familiar with the X-Men (unlike Spidey), a lot of stuff is still throwing me. But yeah, still a good time.
Shaun
I really enjoyed the art on this crossover series. I felt that it was a little short though for a crossover between two of the major teams in the Ultimate universe. The art was interesting and really got my attention.
Molly
I love everything Marvel. The storylines are incredible! They have everything you could want: action, adventure, comedy, romance, political intrigue, allegories, metaphors, etc. Some stories drag, some end too soon.
Zach Danielson
The X-Men are back on top after a few dismal volumes. The art is much more solid and the story's engaging as they face off against both Magneto and the Ultimates (this universe's Avengers).
Orrin Grey
Hilariously, this volume was almost entirely about the Ultimates rather than the X-Men, and I like them better, in general, so I enjoyed this volume a little more than the others.
Rob
I found it hard to follow and kind of dull but the art was great as were the costumes. I liked the battle part of the story, watching the Ultimates vs the X-Men.
sixthreezy
Not nearly as much action and Ultimate/X-Men clashing as I would have hoped or thought. Still a good volume, as Magneto seems to be preparing for his grand return.
Ben Nealis
magneto was cruel as can be. i mean he shot his own son/quicksilver's knees to shreds and din not feel one ounce of guilt.good book though.
Michael
It's the X-Men vs. the Ultimates, but not much happens, really. I think this was a big missed opportunity, but still, it's a decent narrative.
Shannon Appelcline
The writing in this is generally sharp, but it coheres poorly as a whole, feeling like it's missing both a beginning and an end.
Aaron Swensen
Only slightly better than the others by Millar. Perhaps The Ultimates made it a slightly more interesting story.
Rita
Seemed a bit slapdash to me, I'm afraid. Also, I missed the artist from the first two volumes of "The Ultimates."
Trebro
A step backwards for the series. See my review here: http://trebro.livejournal.com/261639....
Declan
Great confrontation between x-men and ultimates which makes perfect sense.
Brian
and finally, Ultimate X-Men vs the Ultimates (Avengers)
X
3.5 cos I hate the avengers
Lara
Lara added it
Aug 27, 2014
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 7: Blockbuster
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 11: The Most Dangerous Game
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 14: Phoenix?
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 19: Absolute Power
Mark Millar is an award-winning Scottish comic book writer born in Coatbridge. Now a resident of Glasgow, Millar has been the highest selling British comic-book writer working in America this decade. His best known works include: The Authority, Ultimates 1 and 2, adaptations of Jack Kirby's and Stan Lee's Avengers, Wanted, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and Civil War. In Augus...more
More about Mark Millar...
Superman: Red Son Kick-Ass Civil War Wanted The Ultimates