Start by marking “Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5: Ultimate War” as Want to Read:
Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5: Ultimate War

Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5: Ultimate War (Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks #5)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,695 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
When the X-Men do the worst thing that they could do to humanity, the government orders the 'Ultimates' to bring them down. A small but lethal army were created to combat the rising threats to mankind. But the X-Men haven't been training for nothing - and the young mutants might just take out the Ultimates first. Ages 12+.
Published September 13th 2006 by Marvel (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 5

Nicolo Yu
The title is an appropriate name for what was a historic clash between two of Marvel’s biggest super-teams. This pre-dated this year’s Avengers Vs. X-Men event by almost a decade, but this was set in the alternate Ultimate Universe. On the run and underground, the mutants gave as good as they got against the government-sanctioned Ultimates, this universe’s version of the Avengers.

This miniseries sets up Mark Millar’s final arc on the title he helped launch with Adam Kubert. Millar, with Brian Be
Mike
Nov 08, 2011 Mike rated it liked it
Something about this book doesn't sit right with me. Sure it's got Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates. Sure it's written by Mark Millar who's been a favourite of mine for a while. It's got some aggressive tactics and little of the "heroes posing while they monologue".

I don't know if this stuff ages particularly well. I read most of Ultimate X-Men a number of years ago, which I enjoyed quite a bit then. But the thought occurs to me that this stuff doesn't age particularly well - too many then-curre
Leila Anani
After beast accidentally revealed to Blob that Magneto was alive the brotherhood freed him and restored him to his former glory. Magneto has issued a challenge for America to surrender power to mutants or be eliminated. S.H.I.E.L.D headed by Nick Fury is not taking it likely and has created the Ultimates (basically a prototype of the Avengers: Captain America, Thor, Ironman, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hulk and Wasp) to defeat Magneto. Suspicious of the X-Men he's also ordered them to be taken out as ...more
Josef Turner
Jan 31, 2016 Josef Turner rated it liked it
Shelves: misc-marvel
Ultimate War- is pretty decent as far as crossovers go. It doesn't at all feel like a bunch of contrivances to get 2 super teams to fight each other as is so often the case. Xavier made an enormous mistake keeping Magneto alive (and a secret from everyone), so it's understandable that he'd have the government super team bearing down on him after that.

Perhaps the books biggest strength is that it reads as just another volume in the series. The art shift is a little distracting, but this artist al
Davy
Dec 20, 2014 Davy rated it really liked it
The X-men are in defense: their World Tour failed and now Magneto is back, with a devastating terrorist attack. So the government brings in the Ultimates. It's an early X-men versus Avengers. Millar made the Ultimates a "meaner" version of the Avengers and the X-men are younger, more naïeve. With Magneto as a third party involved, things don't end up so good for the X-men. The story is good, packed with action only strange thing is that in the entire Millar/X-men storyline there is so much actio ...more
Edward Cheer
May 01, 2016 Edward Cheer rated it it was ok
There we go! Back to the low-quality Millar trash I was waiting for!

It's like relaxing in a hot tub, knowing your kid brother will turn the heat up, when you turn your back on him, and then when he does... you don't care. You still relax even though it's hotter. That's kind of what happened here. I saw how bad the comic was getting, relaxed, and read it on auto-pilot for the last issue.

Ultimate War follows the story of the X-Men... and The Avengers (sorry, the Ultimates)... and the Brotherhood o
Charles
Talyseon Talyseon
Classic "Two Good Guy Teams Fight" story. It's the X-Men versus the Ultimates, this universes version of the Avengers. What's not to love? Check out my full review: Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate War
Amanda
Not the best of the series, but still fun. Oddly enough, I didn't find the Avengers vs. X-Men to be very well-executed here.

Also: Cap was kind of mean and a bit manipulative?? That was weird.
Casey Taylor
Sep 13, 2014 Casey Taylor rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
So so story but Chris Bachalo's pencils have fallen apart. Much better when he was doing Generation X
Federiken Masters
Oct 10, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Incondicionales del autor y los personajes
Recommended to Federiken by: Completismo
Y este tomo parece tan pero tan "comercial" en el sentido más literal y básico del término, que estuvo cerca de las dos estrellas. Los diálogos y vueltas de tuerca de Millar nunca me resultaron tan tirados de los pelos y los dibujos de Bachalo nunca tan poco claros. Ambos son buenos en lo que hacen casi siempre, pero no es el caso de este crossover medio forzado. Lo estoy leyendo de la edición Marvel Deluxe que incluye también "El retorno del Rey", así que veré si con esa otra historia el tomote ...more
James Bardo
Feb 16, 2014 James Bardo rated it really liked it
The buildup to the final battle is almost the whole comic book, and it delivers an epic finale.
Chris
Feb 11, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Interesting story, fun to see the ultimate version of the x-men take on the ultimates.
Tym
Feb 22, 2015 Tym rated it really liked it
I really wanted to be able to give this graphic novel 5 stars but the art was just too inconsistent. At times the art was really good and other times it looked like the artist was actually trying to make everyone ugly. The story was great though and it was interesting to see that Cap remembered Wolverine from WW2 in this Universe too.
Jeff Raymond
Oct 18, 2010 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it
I’m enjoying the Ultimate-verse brand of X-Men, but the ages are really skewing me and since I’m actually somewhat familiar with the X-Men (unlike Spidey), a lot of stuff is still throwing me. But yeah, still a good time.
Shaun
Jul 27, 2012 Shaun rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the art on this crossover series. I felt that it was a little short though for a crossover between two of the major teams in the Ultimate universe. The art was interesting and really got my attention.
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
I love everything Marvel. The storylines are incredible! They have everything you could want: action, adventure, comedy, romance, political intrigue, allegories, metaphors, etc. Some stories drag, some end too soon.
Zach Danielson
The X-Men are back on top after a few dismal volumes. The art is much more solid and the story's engaging as they face off against both Magneto and the Ultimates (this universe's Avengers).
Orrin Grey
Jul 07, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Hilariously, this volume was almost entirely about the Ultimates rather than the X-Men, and I like them better, in general, so I enjoyed this volume a little more than the others.
Rob
I found it hard to follow and kind of dull but the art was great as were the costumes. I liked the battle part of the story, watching the Ultimates vs the X-Men.
sixthreezy
Nov 19, 2014 sixthreezy rated it really liked it
Not nearly as much action and Ultimate/X-Men clashing as I would have hoped or thought. Still a good volume, as Magneto seems to be preparing for his grand return.
Ben Nealis
Dec 20, 2012 Ben Nealis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
magneto was cruel as can be. i mean he shot his own son/quicksilver's knees to shreds and din not feel one ounce of guilt.good book though.
Michael
Jun 05, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's the X-Men vs. the Ultimates, but not much happens, really. I think this was a big missed opportunity, but still, it's a decent narrative.
Shannon Appelcline
The writing in this is generally sharp, but it coheres poorly as a whole, feeling like it's missing both a beginning and an end.
Aaron Swensen
Aug 01, 2013 Aaron Swensen rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Only slightly better than the others by Millar. Perhaps The Ultimates made it a slightly more interesting story.
Rita
Mar 25, 2010 Rita rated it liked it
Seemed a bit slapdash to me, I'm afraid. Also, I missed the artist from the first two volumes of "The Ultimates."
Angel
Jan 03, 2008 Angel rated it really liked it
See my note on it in my blog:

Trebro
Sep 10, 2007 Trebro rated it it was ok
Shelves: tradepaperbacks
A step backwards for the series. See my review here: http://trebro.livejournal.com/261639....
Declan
Oct 23, 2011 Declan rated it really liked it
Great confrontation between x-men and ultimates which makes perfect sense.
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 7: Blockbuster
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 12: Hard Lessons
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 14: Phoenix?
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 19: Absolute Power
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...

Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 1: The Tomorrow People