Spiritual Divorce

Spiritual Divorce

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Could the end of your marriage be the first step toward reclaiming your personal power and joyfully living the life of your dreams? If the answer is yes, this book is for you.

Divorce rocks the very foundation of our beings, leaving us feeling lonely, flawed, enraged, undesirable, hopeless, and empty. In "Spiritual Divorce," "New York Times" bestselling author Debbie Ford r...more
Published March 11th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 9th 2001)

Sonia T
I don't know why people criticize this book for not being a book about 'saving a marriage'. The book is titled 'Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life'. Hence, it is for people that have made the decision to head that way, or have already, and most importantly, are looking for ways to heal and move on. For those people, this book is amazing. The enlightenment I received helped heal me better than anything else I have read, and courses I have taken. It has helped me fo...more
Johnna
This book was helpful because it places no blame. People part and go their separate ways and it can be devastating especially when the relationship has been very long term and children are involved. The author helps the reader go through the process in a very positive way.
Aaron
I read quite a bit of this and all I can say is that it's not anything I would recommend to anyone who has a sincere desire to save their marriage along with the desire of saving their children from the extreme agony of divorce. For those who haven't been through a divorce as a child it is impossible to truly understand the lifetime of pain and suffering is can cause. This book is typical of today's "it's all about me" mentality. It feels as if it was written to cater to those who are looking fo...more
Clarice
It took me a VERY long time to get through this book, because there are times I just didn't WANT to read positive psychology stuff about how to become a better person after a divorce. But, there will be two things I will always be grateful for that happened to me this year. That I found this book at the beginning stages of filing for divorce AS WELL as that I went through Impact Training during the process of my divorce as well. If you don't want to feel like a victim of your life circumstances...more
Sheri Young
A colleague recommended this book to me- suggesting it would be a good resource to help identify key things in my situation. This book helped me with more than just the relationship with my spouse but others as well. It was a renewal for me and allowed me to continue to identify my ownership, responsibility and behaviors to contributed to the state if affairs. Learning to return to my spiritual self I have a new perspective as we embark into the journey of counseling.
GoldmanCafe
Jul 28, 2008 GoldmanCafe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, coming out of a relationship, who wants to know if life will ever get better
Recommended to GoldmanCafe by: My counselor
I was not able to read this book right away after the abrupt ending of a ten-year relationship. But, after about three months, I flew through it. It's a great source of guidance and deeper understanding. My counselor recommended this book at our first session, and I am so grateful. A wonderful book. I look forward to reading Ford's other books.
Elizabeth Welch
Loved this book by Debbie Ford who recently died of cancer. Recommended by a friend for anyone going through an end of relationship, not just divorce. Really helped me with all relationships, not just romantic-read mostly on long plane ride which always seem to inspire cathartic thinking!
Beth
I highly recommend this book for anyone divorced, going through a divorce or even considering a divorce.
Julie Baylor
This book is helpful in moving beyond the pain into a new life after divorce. The perspective is very "New Age" referring to the Universe as a being, and I disagree with the concept that everything in life is perfect and as it should be. Human beings are flawed and as such make mistakes for which there are negative consequences. God can take any situation and use it to benefit us; but life will not be perfect here on Earth. I loved the exercises of New Interpretations and Wedding Gifts. These tw...more
Dana Panait
One of the gratest book on relationships I ever read. The teachings you get from this book would apply to any kind of "special relation" not only a marriage relation. Loved it!
Julie
I want to give this 3.5 stars but I don't know if that would be accurate either. I read this book in two parts...I started this 7 months ago and then I put it down and I just finished it.

It's helpful. I don't think I'm as enlightened as Debbie was when she wrote this...it'll take me some time to come to terms to divorce gracefully.

Thank You Debbie. Godspeed
Jill Hinton
What a wonderful book - incredibly helpful for anyone who's gone through the pain of divorce, and the later chapters are helpful for anyone who's been through any sort of trauma. I'll be giving this book as a gift for my friends who are going through this difficult process, and even thinking of starting a support group based on its principles. Bravo!
Jeannie
Well whatever...guess we all see divorce differently. I didn't get anything out of this book that I didn't already know and being lectured on how I should feel is not something I welcome. I see the author saw an....opportunity..wrote a book and the sad and pathetic ones bought it and I made some money Yep...that's this book!
Elena
I liked some of her ideas/suggestions, like focusing on the gifts your marriage brought you and doing the work of seeing how you contributed to the failure of the marriage (not just blaming your spouse.)
Lynn
This book changed my life and gave me a new perspective for life after divorce. It's not the end of the world; in fact, it's a catalyst to become all I have ever imagined and more.
Lily
Basic programming with a very positive spin. Can't hurt on the road to freedom.
Karla
Not as good as "The Best Year of Your Life".
Stefania
I read book when I needed it.
Jeanie
Jun 16, 2011 Jeanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Solo Mamas
Wonderful words of wisdom for viewing divorce as an opportunity for a new life. Highly recommend!!
Sarah Peters
Sarah Peters marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Dawn
Dawn is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Helen Stegall
Helen Stegall marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Jenn Galloway
Jenn Galloway marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Delight Iverson
Delight Iverson is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Debbie Ford was an American author of self-help books. Her first book, "The Dark Side Of The Light Chasers", spawned eight more books in the genre and dealt with confronting one's "dark side" rather than ignoring it. Ford also hosted television and radio shows related to her books.

She passed away due to complications from cancer in 2013.
More about Debbie Ford...
The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance and Dreams The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions To Guide You To An Extraordinary Life The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It Why Good People Do Bad Things: How to Stop Being Your Own Worst Enemy The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story

“Surrender is the ultimate sign of strength and the foundation for a spiritual life. Surrendering affirms that we are no longer willing to live in pain. It expresses a deep desire to transcend our struggles and transform our negative emotions. It commands a life beyond our egos, beyond that part of ourselves that is continually reminding us that we are separate, different and alone. Surrendering allows us to return to our true nature and move effortlessly through the cosmic dance called life. It's a powerful statement that proclaims the perfect order of the universe.

When you surrender your will, you are saying, "Even though things are not exactly how I'd like them to be, I will face my reality. I will look it directly in the eye and allow it to be here." Surrender and serenity are synonymous; you can't experience one without the other. So if it's serenity you're searching for, it's close by. All you have to do is resign as General Manager of the Universe. Choose to trust that there is a greater plan for you and that if you surrender, it will be unfolded in time.

Surrender is a gift that you can give yourself. It's an act of faith. It's saying that even though I can't see where this river is flowing, I trust it will take me in the right direction.”
21 likes
“Pain is a spiritual wake-up call showing you that there are oceans you have not yet explored. Step beyond the world you know. Reach for heights that you never thought possible. Go to places you have deemed off limits. This is the time to take off the shell of your past and step into the rich possibilities of your future. God does not give us dreams that we cannot fulfill. If you want to do something great with your life-whether it's to fall madly in love, become a teacher, be a great parent-if you aspire to do something beyond what you are doing now, this is the time to begin. Trust yourself.” 8 likes