Start by marking “Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 2

Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 2 (Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The origin of Professor X! The birth of the Juggernaut! The end of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants! The coming of the Sentinels! And the mystery of the Mimic!

Collects The X-Men #11-21
Hardcover
Published November 1st 2003 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Masterworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Masterworks

Kelly Lynn Thomas
Ditto my comments on volume 1. Overwrought prose, annoying villain/evil mutant of the week, silly training exercises. Ka-Zar, really? Silly. (I know, superheros are kind of silly to begin with.)

This volume has the first appearance of Bolivar Trask and the Sentinels, which is the first time that I felt like, hey, there's actually some meat to this thing.

I'd feel a little better about these Masterworks volumes if a. they didn't go out of print so quickly and b. the introductions were better. The i...more
Kami
- These comics just keep getting better! The geeky side of me is just ecstatic while reading these!

- I like that Juggernaut is introduced in this volume! He is one of my favorite baddies!

- I loved that there is some of Professor X's history in these issues. We learn about his family, and how he loses the use of his legs.

- I don't understand why Johnny Storm was really needed, but it was fun to see him in an X-Men comic.

- There is still that old 60's humor. It is cheesy, but I still find it funny...more
Evan Leach
This contains issues 11-21 of the original run. I really enjoyed these as a kid, and decided to revisit them. The original X-Men consisted of Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, and Marvel Girl (Jean Grey). As ever, the team is lead by Professor Charles Xavier and his superhuman brain. These issues introduce the Juggernaut and the Sentinels. Magneto, the Blob, Unus and Lucifer also make return appearances.

These issues were published between 1965-66, and can feel pretty dated at times. The dialogue is...more
Meg
The X-Men have done it again! When I started Volume Two (which consists of issues 11-21) I was a little concerned. Volume one, while it had been entertaing and good, was a little all over the place. There was no continuing story line, just a different villian for every issue, minus Magneto.

This volume was compeltely different! Every villian was no deffeated in just one issue. In fact, sometimes it took three or four issues to finally defeat the bad guy. The story continues on for our brave X-Me...more
Everett Pantaloons
In many ways this collection is even better than the previous one. There's heaps of backstory in here--from the origin of Professor X and Beast to the debut of plenty of memorable baddies. These 11 issues are really pretty stellar. First we see the downfall of Magneto thanks to The Stranger (who is sort of like X-Men's version of F.F.'s The Watcher), then we have the fantastic introduction to The Juggernaut, the epic Sentinel trilogy, the impressive return of Magneto, the debut of Mimic, and the...more
Joseph Zurat
I read this across two sittings this morning and over my lunch break. In one sentence, it was better than volume 1, but Uncanny X-Men volume 1 is probably a much better place to start.

I'll start with the bad. Werner Roth is no Jack Kirby. He isn't bad by any stretch, but he really doesn't do anything to set himself apart with these issues. It also felt like Stan Lee was treading water with these stories. They don't really go anywhere or do anything too interesting with the characters. It was ni...more
J.R.
Breaking it down by story arc:

1) The Stranger - 4 stars. Reads like a sci-fi Mark Twain short story with a twist.
2) Juggernaut - 4 stars. A great origin story and really suspenseful. Even I (who knows what Juggy looks like) was waiting eagerly to see him through the shadows.
3) Sentinels - 3.5 stars. The sentinels have come a long way since this time, this is a good intro.
4) Magneto Returns - 3 stars. A little gimmicky, but Iceman gets time to shine.
5) Mimic - 3 stars. Cool to see one opponent...more
B. Jay
The Sentinals. Juggernaut. A backstory that explains Xavier's true intent when forming the X-Men- the future of mutantkind? No! Alien invasion!!
Okay, sure, these comics are cheesy like all old comics. Kirby was great, but like Stan Lee you have to try and read these comics as though Marvel was still a ground breaking phenomenon instead of a flimsy outline of what other writers and artists would do in the following decades.
But if you can swallow that pill of cynical suspension, these stories rea...more
B
You can tell that the people writing this just did not have long-term plans and thought they could get away with a lot.

Perhaps the most exciting part is when the winged Angel takes flight in a hospital and the nurses gape:
NURSE 1: What's he doing?
NURSE 2: He must be calling the mansion. They have an AUTOMATIC MACHINE that takes MESSAGES!

Also, miracle sulfa drug.

And what's with the character designs of Magneto, Lucifer, and the Sentinels? All exceedingly similar.
Cassie
I'm new to the X-Men comics, so I figured I'd start at the beginning, and perhaps not really knowing a whole lot about old school comics, I probably didn't appreciate this the way others would. Comics have certainly come a long way since then, and it's nice to get some perspective on a veteran series like this one, but the scripting leaves something to be desired.

Also, Beast is insufferable. I eventually just started skipping his lines altogether.
Aurora
Classic stuff. More character development, some pretty big villains. My only complaint: why do two different villains wear the same colors? What's so great about red and purple, hmm, Magneto and Lucifer?
Etienne02breton
Good one in general, some better than the other, but a good 4 stars to most of them! If you like the x-men serie this far, it just keep going in the same direction and style,
Matthew Ledrew
This is one of the only Stan Lee 60s creations where the stories do not age well. Or at all.

Unreadable.
Jamey
Some people think these are cheesy. I don't care. They're great!!!!
Mike Wierzbicki
As with Vol. 1, these issues did not age well.
Rushit
Rushit marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Veronica Hernandez
Veronica Hernandez marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Danish
Danish marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Maja Vucak
Maja Vucak marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jason Hall
Jason Hall marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Amanda Balding
Amanda Balding is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, Captain America, and many other characters, int...more
More about Stan Lee...
How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1 Essential Classic X-Men, Vol. 1