Start by marking “For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy, #3)” as Want to Read:
For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy, #3)

For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  2,399 ratings  ·  132 reviews
Molly Murphy is starting to think the cards are stacked against her. She's determined to be a private detective, but hampering her investigations is the fact that she's finding many places in turn-of-the-century New York City where women are not welcome, something that's as frustrating to her fiery Irish pride as it is to her rapidly emptying pocketbook.

Then two business o
Published December 9th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published November 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about For the Love of Mike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Love of Mike

Johnny
I feel like a real turkey for entering yet another series of novels in medias res. Although I erroneously thought I was grabbing the first in the series, For Love of Mike proved to be number three in the series of Molly Murphy novels and, apparently, a lot had happened before. In For Love of Mike, there is great tension between Molly and her former suitor, Daniel Sullivan (a powerful police officer). There is also a lot of unresolved frustration about the loss of Molly’s former employer and ment ...more
diemmi147
Fresh out of Riley's closed case, Daniel expected to see Molly intimidated by all the dangers she had experienced. Like he said, her nine cat lives were rapidly being used up. Molly, notwithstanding, still determined to continue on this line of work.

Tired of all the ludicrous divorce cases, Molly decided to go back to her original intention to find lost relatives. Hence, she advertised her trade on a newspaper and immediately got an assignment for finding an eloped couple from Ireland and anothe
Kathy
In this third book of the Molly Murphy series, Molly has finally received two solid commissions for her struggling detective agency. One involves the type of work that she originally set out to do, find missing persons, or connect people from one side of the pond to the other. After placing an ad in a Dublin newspaper, Molly receives a letter from a Dublin aristocrat searching for his runaway daughter who has fled to New York City. The other case that Molly undertakes places her in the hard knoc ...more
Bonnie
Molly Murphy is determined to be a private investigator, but finds many people in New York don't think that line of work is proper for women. Then two business opportunities turn up: An aristocratic family in Dublin hire her to locate their daughter whom they fear has fled with her unsavory boyfriend to New York and asked by a garment owner to work uncover to find the person who had committed industrial espionage by stealing designs and selling the to a competitor.

Daniel has kept in contact wit
Mary
For the Love of Mike is the third book in the 'Molly Murphy' series and is the best so far. There is more character development and some new, intriguing characters. Molly takes on two investigations in this book and both have surprising endings. Daniel Sullivan appears several times and continues to string Molly along. But he does have competition now with the new character Jacob.

I will continue reading this series. I am curious about where it will go. The info about early 20th century New York
Susan
For the Love of Mike by Rhys Bowen is the third book of the Molly Murphy mystery series set in turn-of-the-20th-century New York City. Molly Murphy is a recent immigrant from Ireland. She worked briefly for a private investigator, and after his murder she decided to continue on with his business. She is in love with Homicide Detective Daniel Sullivan, but he is engaged to a high-society young lady. He had promised to break off his engagement, but months have passed and he has not done so. He is ...more
Ed
#3 in the Molly Murphy series. Author Bowen continues with the saga of Irish immigrant Molly Murphy in this flavorful period piece of turn of last-century New York City. Told with a touch of humor, this series provides a taste of the immigrant experience. Recommended.

Molly Murphy series - Molly Murphy is determined to be a private detective, but hampering her investigations is the fact that she's finding many places in turn-of-the-century New York City where women are not welcome. Then two busin
Argum
I enjoy Rhys Bowen and am coming to very much enjoy Molly Murphy. In this installment, Molly is still working to set herself up as the junior partner to her now dead mentor. She gets a case were being a woman is actually in her favor searching for an industrial spy in the garment industry and also takes her first family reunion case, her original idea. The cases unexpectedly cross as does the plight of garment workers at the turn of the century. Old friends make appearances and add color and hel ...more
Linda
Molly Murphy was ahead of her times.
Corinne Severn
The narrator of the Audiobook is enchanting. Once you are 2 chapters into the plot, you look forward to each chance you have to listen/read. In my opinion, there is a little time wasted with Molly's romantic interests, but not so much that it distracts from the story. The descriptions of New York City in the early nineteenth century are rich with sights and smells and discomforts of weather. There are great supporting characters also. This is an excellent and unique mystery series.
Eed99
I think this is my favorite in the series so far.

I liked the fact that Molly had two cases to work and in the end found them both somewhat intertwined.

One again more than anything I think the setting is what makes the story. Bowen just seems to bring the period and city to life in her writing.

I think this is the first book in the series where some of the twists in the mystery were challenging and Bowen presented some red herrings.

I also liked the fact that while the villains were villains, they
Thenia
Molly Murphy's life gets worse and better at the same time.

She realizes that life is no less unfair and corrupt in her new country as it is anywhere else and does not like it one bit. She also gets a couple of new cases to work on and she gives her all into completing them.

Her romantic life gets even more complicated with the addition of a new viable romantic interest when things remain strained between her and Daniel. I'm curious to see how things will turn out in that front, while at the sam
Mark Baker
Searching for missing woman and working undercover in the sweat shops of 1901 New York is enough to keep Molly very busy. Can she find the woman while also forming an early union? The historical detail, characters, and plot all come together for a great book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Erik Moloney
Mum
Kindle/Audible

For me, best of the series so far. So 4.5.

I am getting a little irritated that all the men in Molly's life spend more time lecturing her on being reckless and stupid and naive and not enough time just embracing her quirks and joining in with her. That would be the way to her heart and to keep her safe, wouldn't it?
Melliott
Continuing the Molly Murphy mysteries on my Kindle--I keep one there so if I run out of a book to read, this is in reserve. I liked it. Some of it is wildly implausible, some of it is a bit simplistic, but the historical details and the intertwined plots are fun.
Kristin
This was the best in the series so far--a light mystery that also manages to explore the historical realities in this time and place, such as a plight of garment workers. A bit of a love triangle forms...though sadly, I don't like either of the men involved.
Donna LaValley
This is #3 of the Molly Murphy mystery series. She's the plucky red-haired Irish immigrant who wants to be a private detective. She's lucked into an active "agency" where she can get work. She's lucked into a relationship with an honest, powerful, handsome policeman, luckily found wonderful friends and a safe place to live, just as she lucked into an education before her lucky escape from Ireland. (The Irish are lucky, see...)

This one gets 4 stars for the descriptions of sweatshops where women
Tilden
I didn't think the mysteries were as good as the two previous books. I think the historical details of these novels are what make them enjoyable and a cut above other mystery books. Not to mention Molly, whose dogged determination and courage is a joy to read.
Carol
Good historical fiction. This time Molly is involved in the women's movement within the garment factories of early 1900's. The immigrant factory workers, gangs of NYC, corrupt politicians and constables and a bit of a love triangle thrown in. Good stuff.
Jessica
A good book, but I started to get tired of hearing some of the same things over again. The story line was interesting, and I was still able to read it in about 4 days (instead of the usual 2 for this series).
Jeanne
the continuing story of molly murphy, detective . never saw a girl get into so much trouble with hardly a scrape! but its good lite reading and i am continuing the series
Luffy Monkey D.
On the brink of ending this tedious story, I thought about Ultimate Soccer manager. It was a turn based football game that came out in the nineties. Very addicting and fun. Unlike this book. Anyway half the fun of that game was to invent names for the manager character. My favorite was 'Joui de la Putana'. It was hilarious when I got the boot from the job and the game served up the picture(like I said it was turn-based) of a man clearing his desk with his face in his hands. Party hardy equals s ...more
Karen
The best Molly Murphy so far. She gets involved with the women's garment industry in 1900s NYC, and is involved in a factory fire. Great historical fiction. And of course, there is the dashing Daniel Sullivan!
Simone
This third instalment of the series is the best one so far.

Perhaps it’s because the plot in this book was better than in the 2 previous books? or maybe (by now) I feel as though I know the characters better, and have begun to like them more and more?

Although it’s all ever so slightly over the top, that’s part of its charm; it never seemed preposterous or silly to me because I was so wrapped up in the adventures.

I love the setting in the Turn of the Century New York City and Molly is becoming q
Elia
This was okay, but I still like her Georgie books so much better. This got a bit mundane in spots.
Mary
I started with the eighth book in this series of murder mysteries. The book often mentioned events that had occurred in previous installments of the series, so I started reading others to see what had happened and realized that I was hooked. This series is interesting and has likable characters (well, Daniel is a bit hard to appreciate) and an interesting storyline. The reader is able to go back in time and learn about different aspects of New York City in the early twentieth century while readi ...more
Jeannie Radcliff
Good series, really like the time period.
JulieLaLa
This was okay, but was too "cozy" for my taste and the history lessons of life in New York (gangs, factory workers/conditions, religious groups, immigrants) were of no interest to me. I won't be continuing with this series but will try another of Rhys Bowen's series (Constable Evan).
Ginny
I especially the historic setting among the women's garment workers in early 20th century New York City.
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)