Start by marking “Grail Prince” as Want to Read:
Grail Prince

Grail Prince (Le Prince du Graal #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  432 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The wheel is turning and the world will change. . . . And a son of Lancelot, with a bloody sword and a righteous heart, shall renew the Light in Britain before the descent of savage dark. . . .

So spoke the Lady of the Lake. Now her grim prophecy is coming true. King Arthur lies dead, struck down along with Mordred, his son and heir, and the greatest knights of Camelot. Of
Published January 1st 2003 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Grail Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grail Prince

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
Best Arthurian Fiction
186th out of 376 books — 1,274 voters
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyBook of Shadows by Cate TiernanA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessWitch Child by Celia ReesStardust by Neil Gaiman
Wicca and other Pagan-based Fiction
116th out of 371 books — 759 voters

More lists with this book...

Misfit
May 26, 2010 Misfit rated it it was amazing
(4.5) "There is no one left. Pendragon is no more."

The battle of Camlann is over, Arthur is dead and Britain is shattered into pieces once again. Guinevere has retired to a nunnery and a heart-broken Lancelot returns to his Kingdom across the sea. Lancelot's young son Galahad was charged by Arthur to find the buried treasures that can reunite Britain once again and is joined by his twelve-year-old cousin Percival, now King of Gwynedd upon his father's death (although his uncle rules as regent).
Jillian
Jul 19, 2014 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Arthurian legend and other books by Nancy McKenzie
For a long time, I did not touch this book. Its precedessors, The Child Queen and The High Queen (later combined into The Queen of Camelot), had been my favorite books since high school when they were first released. I read them numerous times throughout the years, but then did not return to them for a long time while my life was busy with other things. Recently, I read them again and it felt like coming home. I had always been afraid that reading this book about Galahad, one of my least favorit ...more
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
Apr 16, 2011 Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of Queen of Camelot
Beautiful read and whether it officially is a sequel to Queen of Camelot - it should be. This is the story of Lancelot's son, Galahad who we met in Queen of Camelot. We read about him in Guenevere's words as she so beautifully tells the story of Arthur, her beloved husband, and Lancelot, her first and always love. Queen of Camelot is my favorite of the Arthur legend books I have read, and Nancy McKenzie wrote of true and unselfish love like I have never experienced in this wonderful legend.

Gala
Nao
Nancy McKenzie le dit elle-même dans les remerciements à la fin de la seconde partie : "j'ai à la foi haï et aimé Galaad". Un sentiment que je partage, et l'ordre des mots a son importance, car comment ne pas haïr le garçon arrogant de cette première partie ?

Le plus grand défi de Galaad, c'est d'abord d'apprendre à aimer les hommes, avec leurs erreurs et leurs égarements. Le garçon de La Prophétie de la Dame du Lac est encore bien loin de la résolution de sa quête.

C'est un très bon livre, mais
Katie
Jun 23, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
I read this book because I had heard Nancy McKenzie's Queen of Camelot book was really good, but my library didn't have that one. The Grail Prince was a very well-thought out story about the son of Lancelot, Galahad. He is raised by a weird mother and an absent father. Needless to say, he has some issues.

McKenzie keeps switching to different periods of Galahad's life, not writing them in order. When the book first starts he is 15 and then we learn about things that happened when he was 5 and so
Kristina
Dec 05, 2010 Kristina rated it really liked it
Annette
Apr 02, 2013 Annette rated it it was ok
Shelves: arthuriana
**Before starting: I marked this book as -read- but the truth is..I've come very close to the end of this book, but I don't think I'm gonna EVER finish it. Sorry, I just couldn't.**

This is the typical example of how a mediocre* writer should not write about a character she/he hates.

McKenzie has declared that she strongly disliked Galahad's character. And believe me, I didn't need to be told that, it's clearly shown in the book. You can tell she doesn't like him by the amount of hate for Galahad
Allie
Feb 25, 2010 Allie rated it it was amazing
I think I like this one better than Queen of Camelot, if that is possible!!! Nancy Mckenzie brings Galahad to life! I was however quite surprised of how much of this book is a "retelling" of Queen of Camelot in Galahad's point of view.

I enjoyed the way McKenzie went back and forth through Galahad's childhood and adulthood. I also love her short chapters and how she divides up her books in smaller "books." Her vivid descriptions bring sooo much to life. An example of her creative imagery,

"Bare h
Meghan
Jun 05, 2013 Meghan rated it liked it
This is second in part of a trilogy, I've discovered, with "Queen of Camelot" first and the Tristan and Isolde story last. I don't know that "Grail Prince" would be that interesting by itself, b/c it seems a main function (in addition to the grail quest, obviously) is to fill in the blanks from "Queen of Camelot," so that book should definitely be read first, so this one makes sense. I did like the themes of redemption throughout, both for Galahad himself, Lancelot, Guinevere, etc. And the "tria ...more
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Jul 19, 2012 Elizabeth Nesbit-comer rated it really liked it
Erin Davis
Jul 27, 2014 Erin Davis rated it really liked it
I really did not like Galahad for two-thirds of this book. He was self-righteous and a huge jerk. But he redeemed himself towards the end, and I found myself liking him and cheering his search for the Grail,despite his failings.
Jess
Oct 08, 2014 Jess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, arthurian
Missing
Lisa
Jan 13, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! This is not a sequel to "Queen of Camelot" but I think you will enjoy it WAY more having read "Queen of Camelot" first! (There's a lot that happens in this book that correlates with the other and adds more depth to what's going on). It's the type of book that you love and then hate and then love and then hate and then love...it has an excellent message and is very well written. I do have to say - I hate the cover...that is not how I pictured him at all! : )
Melissa
Sep 16, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
In spite of the hunky/scary guy on the cover, this one is not a bodice-ripping romance. In fact, while there is romance, this couldn't even remotely be categorized as one. It is an interesting take on Arthurian legends (though McKenzie does a bit of myth re-writing), but it just didn't do much for me. Ah, well.
Caitlin
Although Mckenzie is a wonderful writer and creates very vivid reinterpretations of Arthurian legends, Galahad is an almost unreadable character. I found I did not wish to finish the book on several occasions on account of the main character's attitudes and behaviours.
Julia
Feb 28, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing
Wow, I did not expect to like this book, much less love it. My opinion of Galahad definitely changed as the story went on, although I wished that there was a little more development of Dandrane's character.
Bookworm
Jul 27, 2014 Bookworm rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's a wonderfully unique and original take on the Arthurian legends. Galahad's journey is one I won't ever forget. This is Arthurian fantasy at its finest!
Kimberly
Aug 31, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Nancy McKenzie. Not as good as Queen of Camelot, but five stars in its own right.
Denise
Apr 20, 2013 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: arthurian
A nice re-read. A story about Galahad (Lancelot's son), set before and after Arthur dies.
emily
Not as strong as Queen of Camelot, but still very good.
Stephanie Pugh
May 10, 2008 Stephanie Pugh rated it liked it
not nearly as good as queen of camelot.
Kamilla
Jun 10, 2013 Kamilla added it
Shelves: never-finished
Sorry, never finished :(
Lauren Brandon
Lauren Brandon rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Brendi
Brendi marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Caitlyn
Caitlyn marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Chandra Fry
Chandra Fry marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Rayna
Rayna rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Gaye
Gaye marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • The Wolf and the Crown (Arthor, #3)
  • The Book of the Sword (Hallowed Isle, #1)
  • The Kingmaking (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #1)
  • Lancelot
  • Dark Moon of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #2)
  • Mordred's Curse
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
Nancy McKenzie is the author of several novels based on Arthurian tales. Guinevere’s Gift is her first novel for young adults. She lives in Danbury, Connecticut.
More about Nancy McKenzie...

Le Prince du Graal (2 books)
  • Les sortilèges du désir : roman