Start by marking “Cloaked” as Want to Read:
Cloaked

Cloaked

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  13,535 Ratings  ·  1,519 Reviews
I’m not your average hero. I actually wasn’t your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.

It all started with the curse. And the frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.

There wasn’t a fairy godmother or any of th
Published February 8th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2011)

Apr 01, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
OHMYGOD! Alex Flinn is a girl, I mean a woman! All this time, I thought she was a guy. Like a man-man. Like Rick Riordan who retells(is this even a verb?) Greek, Roman and Egyptian mythology. This would totally change my perspective in reading his---I mean her books.

I am so regretting that OHMYGOD. Oh here I go again, using the Lord's name in vain. I swore not to but it's hard when you're so surprised. Honestly, I am.

Anyway, I read the premise and I do not know what retelling would this be. It
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. Ok so I LOVE fairy tale retellings. But... I don't know these ones and discovered that kind of takes the joy out of a retelling.

I recognized the themes of The Frog Prince and The Elves & the Shoemaker, but there were a TON of other fairy tales going on as well. There's a list in the back that included The Six Swans, The Golden Bird, The Valiant Tailor, The Salad (??), and more. So it kind of got a bit chaotic at times.

But even if you don't know the original stories it still feel
Cara
Aug 25, 2016 Cara rated it really liked it
Before anything I have to mention that for some reason I assumed that this was a re-telling of Red Riding Hood , and for those of you (probably not too many because I'm exceptionally dim sometimes) who thought it was as well I'm here to tell you it isn't. There is a cloak in the story, but no oblivious girls or furry looking grandmothers in sight.

This story follows the life of Johnny, a seventeen-year-old who aspires to be a shoe designer, but what he does is help out with his family's business
Beatrice Masaluñga
Cloaked is an enjoyable, fun, and adventurous book. Alex Flinn is well known to write Fairy Tale Retellings and I've only read Beastly, which I really like. In this book, it's a mash-up fairy tales and most of them are unfamiliar to me (I only knew The Frog Prince).

The first half of this book is indeed fast paced and I'm enjoying the main character's quest as he helps a gorgeous Princess to save his brother who's cursed by a witch to become a Frog. Now the Frog Prince is missing, Princess Victor
Isamlq
Mar 08, 2011 Isamlq rated it liked it
I vowed not to take the book too seriously and just to go with where it would take me given the constant reference to its nature.. It is a FAIRY TALE RETELLING. So just take it at face value and don’t expect any mind-blowing revelations (Although any such revelations would not be unwelcome.)

Am I glad I attacked it with this light perspective. I most definitely enjoyed CLOAKED. Once I had shucked off my expectations, Johnny’s story became entertaining though of course, most definitely unbelievab
Lectus
Jan 04, 2013 Lectus rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Via http://onlectus.blogspot.com/2013/01/...

This book would make a wonder animated movie for children. Yes, for CHILDREN!

Johnny is poor, and he works in the family's shoe repair business in South Beach and secretly wishes to be a famous shoe designer. Her mom has just taken a second job because they don't even make enough in the business to pay the bills.

One day, a princess (real princess from another country) comes to South Beach and, what are the odds? - meets Johnny! Even more, she asks for
Jackie "the Librarian"
Mash up of several fractured fairy tales by the author of Beastly. Johnny is a hard-working 17-year-old who works in a shoe repair store in a fancy Miami hotel. He designs shoes, but since his dad disappeared years ago, the family has barely been able to scrape by, let alone send Johnny off to college, or fashion school, or wherever you go to become a famous shoe person like Jimmy Choo. And no, Johnny’s not gay. He just likes shoes. Okay? Okay.

Ah-hah, you think! Shoes! There will be elves! And,
Meg
Jul 08, 2012 Meg rated it did not like it
This is the worst Alex Flinn books I've ever read. Hell, this could quite possibly be one of my least favorite books I've ever read.

I LOVE Alex Flinn's books. I love her characters, the plots, her writing style, everything! I could read both Beastly, Breathing Underwater, and Breaking Point over and over and OVER AND OVER.

So when I saw this book at my school's library..I was pretty dang excited. Beastly is my favorite Flinn, so I was like...FAIRY RETELLING LETS GO.

Let me tell you, I've never be
Anne
Feb 20, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
If you go into this with the expectation that this is a light fairytale retelling, you'll probably like this one.

I was expecting it to be a modern version of The Frog Prince, and even though that is one of the main fairytales in this book, it's not the only one. At the end of the Book, Flinn lists all of the stories that she drew from, and there were waaay more than I was expecting. One of the stories I wasn't even familiar with (The Salad?). There are (I felt) three main retellings goi
Gemma
Aug 27, 2011 Gemma rated it it was ok
I feel like the best word to describe Cloaked would be ‘cute’.

Cute can mean any number of things, with both negative and positive connotations depending on the context. There’s ‘little baby with chubby cheeks’ cute. There’s ‘guy with nice eyes and a pleasant smile’ cute. There’s ‘seven year old girl who purposely talks in a high pitched baby voices’ cute, which is annoying. There’s ‘don’t be cute with me’ cute, when you try to be witty and your parents get all offended and irritated.

Really, cute
Anne Osterlund
Jul 24, 2013 Anne Osterlund rated it liked it
Johnny fixes shoes and dreams of designing his own, along with paying the bills, saving the family business, and helping his mom so she doesn’t have to work a second job. Then the princess of Aloria arrives. And she wants Johnny—JOHNNY—to rescue her brother. Whom she claims was turned into a frog by an evil witch, then set loose in the Florida keys.

She’s even willing to marry the guy who rescues her amphibian relation.

Of course, Johnny’s not buying it. Like there might actually be transformed fr
Kristy
Jun 16, 2012 Kristy rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-book
Meh - 2.5 stars

This book contains mashup of fairy tale retellings including "The Elves and the Shoemaker," "The Frog Prince," "The Six Swans," "The Golden Bird," and "The Brave Little Tailor." It's a light, quick read, that's supposed to be funny, but the humor didn't come across for me.

Johnny who works at his family's shoe repair shop, is chosen by the beautiful princess Victoriana, to go on a quest to rescue her brother who has been turned into a frog by an evil witch. If he triumphs, he is to
Mollie Katie
Towards the end of January, I was selected by GoodReads to be an advance reader of "Cloaked" by Alex Flinn. I'm not really sure why, as I haven't written a review there. In fact, I had only made a basic account and I hadn't started using the website to its full potential yet. I don't think I'm optimizing it now... My plan is to use it to catalog all the books I've read in 2011, since one of my goals for this year was to read 300 books. I've never really counted how many books I've read in a year ...more
Misty
Being the fan of fairy tales that I am, I had heard of Alex Flinn, of course. But for whatever reason, I had never read anything by her, so Cloaked is my first. And I have to start by saying: SHE USED THE ELVES AND THE SHOEMAKER!!!

Let me set the scene for you:
Misty, as a small child, had 3 books she was obsessed with. One was The Velveteen Rabbit, which we don't need to discuss here, other than to say she still has it, of course. The other 2 were fairy tales: somebody's (?) beautiful version of
Annabel ♥
I wasn't really expecting much from this book (don't really know why), so at least it wasn't a complete disappointment. No doubt I was still unimpressed. I haven't read Beastly , which is also by Alex Flinn, but I don't think I'll be reading it since this one was just plain annoying.

This book started out ok. About halfway through I was thinking it would be a 3-star rating. But 60% of the way through, this book fell apart. I ended up skimming through the second half and wishing that it would be
Yaz *The Reading Girl*
Review re-written on December 14th, 2013

DNF at 24%

This is all I have to say: BORING.

Yes...I am being rude but I have a rule for 1 star books, and that is that if the book bores me to death(literally)I can't finish it and I have to be honest, REALLY honest in my review. So, yes Cloaked was BORING. Which was a big disappointment for me.

I am a huge fan of Alex Flinn and I loved her book Beastly. Beastly was just so detailed, beautiful, and a modern fairy tale. It was a re-tell of Beauty and th
Lyssa
Apr 01, 2012 Lyssa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cloaked was extremely childish and the plot did not flow smoothly. The main character, Johnny, was actually stupid. The things he said and did were completely ignorant. The author tried to mash a bunch of fairy tale retellings together and failed. The dialogue was also poor. The prince and princess spoke in the most annoying accent where every other word started with the letter z. I enjoyed two other books by this author but this is the last one I will read.
Bookwatcher
Jul 06, 2010 Bookwatcher marked it as to-read
Shelves: teen-ya, magic
After Beastly by Alex Flinn (<---wonderful book) I'll certainly read another modern fairy tale of Alex Flinn.
Sabrina
Apr 20, 2012 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
"When you find out the person you love, loves you, you can't delay. You have to hurry"

May I be the first to say, "AWWWW!". Throughout the entire book, I was displaying 4 types of emotions:

1) Aww-that's-so-cute-he's-so-cute-they're-so-cute

2) Why-can't-I-have-love-like-that-I-guess-I'll-be-forever-alone

3) LOL

4) Omg-I-did-not-see-that-coming-where-the-hell-did-that-come-from

Let's cut to the chase now, shall we?

This book was amazing. Go read it

Oh, you're waiting for a review? An elaboration on why t
Jersey
Dear god, reading through this is like dragging yourself off the bed in a Monday morning.

I got no problem with the concept. I mean, who doesn't want to read a mixture of fairytale retellings in one? But unfortunately, this book fell short in its execution.

If there's a medal for the most absurd book I've ever read, this might be on my top ten. Of course, it is a story based on several fairytales and we all know that fairytales aren't really supposed to be logical or sensible. But Cloaked has a di
Zoë
Feb 17, 2011 Zoë rated it liked it
"Stranger things have happened- and recently too."

Cloaked was my first encounter with Alex Flinn, the author behind the fairy tale retelling Beastly. Like Beastly, Cloaked takes a young man in modern times and throws him into the world of fairy tales. In this case the young man is Johnny, a cobbler who dreams of making enough money so that him and his mother don't have to constantly worry about loosing the family business. Johnny also designs shoes in his spare time, making them out of fabric s
Chrystal
Jul 17, 2015 Chrystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing mash-up of a multitude of fairy tales. Throughout the book we stumble upon retellings of many classic and lesser known tales - "The Elves and the Shoemaker," "The Frog Prince," "The Six Swans," "The Golden Bird," and "The Brave Little Tailor." I love how Ms. Flinn updates and changes the tales to blend together into one amazing journey.

The hero, Johnny, is teenage a shoemaker, working in his family's shop and trying to help his mother make ends meet. He is the epitome of a r
Alyssa hoffmaster
Apr 17, 2011 Alyssa hoffmaster rated it liked it
more reviews here

I really liked how Alex Flinn modernized a whole bunch of little fairytales and stuck them together to make a great modern fairytale. Although I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would, it was still enjoyable.

Johnny works at his family’s shoe repair shop in a hotel, working long hard hours to help pay all the bills. One day, the princess of Aloria comes and stays at the hotel where Johnny works. She comes find Johnny and makes a proposal. She wants him to go on a quest to fi
Sesana
Whatever you do, don't take this book seriously. It's meant to be light and fluffy and fun. It succeeds at that, mostly. There are half a dozen fairy tales crammed in here, not just The Frog Prince, including one that I honestly don't think I've heard of before, The Salad. Despite that, it's fast paced but not rushed, and each of the stories gets a fair shot in the spotlight.

But the romance isn't terribly exciting, and that may have more to do with the characters themselves than anything else.
Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen, fiction
I really enjoyed Alex Flinn’s modernized fairy tales, Beastly and a Kiss in Time, so I was really looking forward to this newest book. I felt it didn’t really deliver. There were so many pieces of different fairy tales involved that it got to be a little much. [return][return]Johnny works in his mother’s shoe repair shop in a pricey hotel. In his spare time he designs shoes. Then the princess Victoriana checks into the hotel. She asks for his help in rescuing her brother who has been turned into ...more
Princess Godoy
Uggh so this is my first book for Alex Flinn and I'm really really disappointed.

The plot of this book is so scattered that I don't even know what's happening anymore. And the fact that in the first part, the princess is trying so hard to have an accent irritates me to the highest level.

This book has a lot of potential but I think it will be better as a tv show.
Rmsooon
Dec 06, 2015 Rmsooon rated it really liked it
i liked it so much but i think the aurthor can do better romance wise inenjoyed it ;)
Elizabeth Mathis

There wasn’t a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I’ve ever heard. Before I knew
Claire (YA Bookie Monster)
So, Cloaked was my first time ever reading anythings by Alex Flinn and to be honest, I was a little disappointed, I expected more. Cloaked was a fun read, but I, for the most part, like to read more serious books, and Cloaked was a bit to much on the playful and silly side for my taste. But if you are a fan of more light-hearted romances, then this might just be the book for you.

Cloaked is the story of Johnny, whose family, which consists of him and his mother, is struggling to make ends meet w
Ashley
May 31, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fairy-tales, blog
Originally reviewed on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing.

Cloaked is another modern fairy tale retelling by Alex Flinn, the woman who wrote the ever popular Beastly (Beauty and the Beast) and the recently released A Kiss in Time (Sleeping Beauty).

I've made no secret about the fact that I absolutely adore fairy tale retellings, and I very much enjoyed Flinn's first two tales. Cloaked was just as much fun to read as the first two stories, but I actually liked this one even better.

Befor
YA Buddy Readers'...: Cloaked, by Alex Flinn-- Restarting May 5th 2016 22 32 May 31, 2016 03:24PM
Fairy Tales Eclectic: Cloaked - March 2015 Group Read 33 27 Apr 06, 2015 03:27PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 20, 2015 05:52PM
Johnson County Li...: Is money the cure for all things? 1 11 May 26, 2012 09:08AM
Fairy Tales, Kind...: Cloaked 3 13 Nov 09, 2011 05:11AM
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • Winter's Child:  A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Once Upon A Time, #17)
  • The Crimson Thread: A Retelling of Rumpelstiltskin (Once Upon a Time, #13)
  • Fractured: Happily Never After? 3 Tales
  • Wisdom's Kiss
  • Spirited:  A Retelling of The Last of the Mohicans and Beauty and the Beast (Once Upon A Time, #7)
  • Snow in Summer
  • Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2)
  • Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood (Once Upon A Time, #5)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • Entwined
  • The Sweetest Spell
  • Exile (Aurelia, #2)
  • The Shadow of the Bear (A Fairy Tale Retold #1)
NOTE: If you would like to contact me, please visit my Facebook, Twitter, or website or e-mail me (alixwrites@aol.com), but DO NOT MESSAGE ME THROUGH GOODREADS. While I have a bio on Goodreads as a service to my readers, I do not visit Goodreads on a regular basis. Like literally twice a year.

Okay, bio.

I was born on Long Island and grew up on a street called Salem Court. This probably influenced m
More about Alex Flinn...

“Seem like a lot of people wear shoes they can't walk in.” 47 likes
“When you’ve found out that the person you love loves you, you can’t
delay. You have to hurry.”
34 likes