Start by marking “The Brain in Love: 12 Lessons to Enhance Your Love Life” as Want to Read:
The Brain in Love: 12 Lessons to Enhance Your Love Life

The Brain in Love: 12 Lessons to Enhance Your Love Life

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  32 reviews
You hold the key to stronger relationships, deeper connections, and heightened intimacy.

Everyone wants to know how to improve his or her love life, but so few of us understand the integral role the brain plays in attraction, keeping us excited about our partner, and helping us feel a strong connection. Based on Dr. Daniel Amen’s cutting-edge neuroscience research, The Brai
Published July 14th 2009 by Harmony (first published January 22nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Brain in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brain in Love

Dear Publishers of "the Brain in Love":
There's this job people can do in the publishing business called editing. I think you should hire some editors and put them to work on this thing, which can really only loosely be called a book. Can a couple of loosely held together articles smushed together into a book shape and filled up with pages of internet jokes and plot summaries of movies be called a book? Maybe. But it's a sorry excuse for one.
Now, I see that this was once called "Sex on the Brain
The author starts out not only with permission but a blessing to engage in the greatest mind game of all time. I don't know about anyone else but I was brought up to believe these were things you hid in the closest. Nothing going on here. You have four kids somethings going on? No, no nothings going on. Then all of a sudden the author throws me a boomerang!! Eye opening, men are talkative and feeling closely bonded after the big moment. It gets me wondering what they are talking about. A little ...more
Dorothyanne Brown
Interesting, but I wonder...
Recently there have been stories about using oxytocin spray to heal broken relationships. Hmm. It could work, I suppose, but it think doing a load of laundry might be better overall. Or perhaps just touching one another.
This book talks about brain chemicals and how they affect emotions. Since we understand so very little about the brain anyway (hey, I have MS and they have no idea how to work with that), and the medications they use for depression and other brain dis
The first part of the book is interesting - but the thing that concerned me was that the book soon begins to read like a huge info-commercial for the author's clinic and his various treatments. Also, there doesn't seem to be much evidence of independent conformation of much of what he is saying.

Interesting to read, but I'd take a lot of what he is saying with a huge amount of skepticism.
"Нейрофизиология мозга для начинающих" - подумала я, прочитав первые пару глав. Это было интересно и познавательно. К сожалению, в последующих частях книги автор впал в типичное американско-маркетологическое "щас мы у вас найдём 3 проблемы и предложим 4 способа их решить". Как ни крути, получается у него, что всё решается визитом в его чудесную клинику, сканированием мозга и диагностике по получившейся картинке. А дальше кушайте таблеточки, занимайтесь сексом и другими физическими нагрузками - и ...more
I enjoyed the whole book. I loved hearing how involved our mind / brain is in how we relate and how we deal and how we feel about and with the aspects of love. I enjoyed the insights and the research that the author did. I was very interested is how the different sides of the brain and body control and maintain the parts of the body. Love is so much deeper than we often give it credit for. The reasons we do what we do are the exterior motions and motives. But it was nice yo her so much mote abou ...more
Afton Mortensen
The previous title for this book was "The Brain on Sex", I believe, so that tells you something. It's jam-packed with information about sex and it's affects on the brain, as well as how your hormones play a part in it all. I was surprised at how much focus there was on mental/emotional disorders (anxiety, depression) and their affect on your love and sex life. Pretty informative stuff all around.
This book should be a mandatory read for anyone in or planning on being in a relationship.
Kim Porter
The one exceptional thing I got from this book that has stuck with me is: "don't have sex with anyone you don't plan to fall in love with."
That rings true because I've had numerous friends who have said, they were only in it for 'one' thing blah blah blah. But when it came down to it, that one thing turned out to be wrong. Men can separate their feelings a lot easier then women can.
A bit repetitious in a poorly-edited sort of way- it could've easily been presented in half the pages- but nonetheless a valuable read with plenty to consider as to the brain's roles in the experience of falling in love, breaking up, being an asshole, being a sexual deviant, and even a glimpse into religious experience.
This man introduces and clears away stigma about his revolutionary brain scanning process known as SPECT, which is known to be able to identify bipolar disorder in patients. While I believe some of his information to be wrong, there is nonetheless a lot of interesting help to be found in his books, in my opinion.
Good book with some good information. I think about half the book could be skipped unless you plan on getting a brain scan or undergoing therapy right away, but there is a good deal of good information to take away and keep in mind during any relationship, you just have to skip over a bunch of stuff here and there.
Natalia Lizon
My 280-character summary: Intimate relationships impact our biochemistries and brains. Cells entangle. Two people can become one unit. Expecting someone to be there and no longer having that person triggers certain biochemical reactions. The brain is the centre of everything.
I especially enjoyed the neuroscience part of this book which looks at what happens when too much or too little activity is occurring in specific parts of the brain. There were also some good practical suggestions for improving brain function and therefore relationships.
Fascinating book on the physiological differences in brains and the impact of brain health on our personalities. This is not just a book about men/women, but a great book that helps us understand how to keep our brains healthy for happiness.
Very intersesting book looking at the science behind the differences between men and women and people. Really enjoyed it and would love to have my brain scanned to figure out what parts arent working or working too much
An interesting look at our physiological influences. Reminds me of the phrase "you are what you eat"... we are all subject to the genetic components we're comprised of, but we do have some control.
Not as easy/flowy of a read as I would have liked, but some interesting chapters. Read this book if you've ever wondered what was happening in your brain at different stages in a romantic relationship.
Highly recommended. This book applies current neuroscience to love, affection, and sex. Guaranteed you'll learn something, and that something could very well change your life dramatically.
Dichotomy Girl
Very Interesting. A look at how our brain chemistry and the various neurotransmitters impact our ability to fall/stay in love, and have a healthy and enjoyable sex life.
As usual I don't agree with everything in this book (I found myself muttering "citation needed" on more than one occasion) but overall, it's interesting & entertaining.
Sonya Stewart
I never thought about the brain as a sexual organ before so it was quite interesting to learn about how the brain plays a major role in how we think about sex.
Very interesting information...understanding and improving brain function and the importance it plays in attraction,connection, love, lust,sex, etc...
explains why we do the things we do when dating and how our impulses are a product of our brain activity. nourish your heart, nourish your brain.
I wanted this to be a book on the neuropsychology of compatibility and love. Its not. Its about sex, period. I'm disappointed.
Nadine Brown
Did not even get thru a quarter of this book! Think I was not interested in topic after all. Want to let iove happen!
Helped me understand the un-understandable. Who would have thought that there is a logical reason for love.
Very good very informative, already want to read again and take notes this time around!
As always, books on the brain and neurological functions are fascinating.
I just love to read about the brain. Why not the brain in love.
  • The Truth About Love: The Highs, the Lows, and How You Can Make It Last Forever
  • The Science of Kissing: What Our Lips Are Telling Us
  • This Is Your Brain on Joy: How the New Science of Happiness Can Help You  Feel Good and Be Happy
  • We Love Each Other, But . . .: Simple Secrets to Strengthen Your Relationship and Make Love Last
  • For Better: The Science of a Good Marriage
  • Secrets of the Monarch: What the Dead Can Teach Us about Living a Better Life
  • Sex on the Brain: The Biological Differences Between Men and Women
  • The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It
  • Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough
  • Make Shift Happen: Change How You Look by Changing How You Think
  • When Everything Changes, Change Everything: In a Time of Turmoil, A Pathway to Peace
  • Every Move You Make
  • When Food Is Food & Love Is Love: A Step-By-Step Spiritual Program to Break Free from Emotional Eating
  • Carved in Sand: When Attention Fails and Memory Fades in Midlife
  • Marathon: You Can Do It!
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • Cowboy
  • Master Cleanser
Daniel G. Amen, MD is a physician, child and adult psychiatrist, brain imaging specialist, bestselling author, Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and the CEO and medical director of Amen Clinics, Inc. (ACI) in Newport Beach and Fairfield, California, Tacoma, Washington and Reston, Virginia .

ACI is the world leader in applying brain imaging science to clinical practice. AC
More about Daniel G. Amen...