Start by marking “Red Roses Mean Love” as Want to Read:
Red Roses Mean Love

Red Roses Mean Love

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  537 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Yellow for friendship.
Pink for passion. But . . .
Red Roses Mean Love.

She dreamed of roses....

Orphaned and abandoned by her fiancé, Hayley Albright is determined to care for her younger siblings even if it means having to give up her own dreams. She doesn't expect to ever find love or get married . . . until one moonlit night when she saves the life of a mysterious strange
Published June 24th 2009 by Dell (first published September 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Red Roses Mean Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Roses Mean Love

Julianna
"4.5 stars" This was a sweet, tender, lighthearted romance that I found to be very emotionally satisfying. It had very good character and relationship development which is a big plus for me. I loved both Stephen and Hayley, the hero and heroine. Stephen was a little tortured but not particularly dark. His life just lacked warmth and love, and he never realized what he was missing until he met Hayley. Hayley was one of the most well-balanced heroines I think I have ever read, and she embodied so ...more
♡Karlyn P♡
Pure fantasy historical romance. This was a great mental escape book to simply fall in love, feel the passion and experience regency London in the 1820s.

Haley finds Stephen wounded on the side of a road unconscious, shot and bleeding. Someone is trying to kill Stephen, so he hides out at Haley's home and pretents to be a tutor. Stephen is actually a wealthy marquess and heir to a dukedome. In the weeks spent recovering with Haley (who is head of the household at 26 due to her parents death) and
Crista
This book, for me, is almost the "perfect romance". I loved every moment spent reading this one, and read every spare moment I had until it was finished....it took me 1 day.

The thing I loved about this book was the attention that D'Allessandro gives to her characters. There was a whole host of characters in this book, but this author makes each individual so compelling and unique that you begin to care for each and every one of them...something that is really hard to do!

I loved Hayley. She is
ChloeLeeNH
This one was sweet... again... Jacquie writes really strong female characters. I liked that she kept the family together and the real eccentric way that they all related. The hero was in over his head being completed shut off from people and having people do everything for him. He wound his way into this misfit family and wanted to stay. Great story.
Eastofoz
Nov 16, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like ooey gooey historical romances
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Julie (on loan)
3 ½ stars for this one. It’s good but a bit long sometimes and too sticky sweet for my taste.

The heroine, Hayley, is too forgiving of just about everything in life. She’s not a doormat but she sort of just takes stuff that happens to her and gets a little angry or occasionally a lot angry but it never lasts and she gives in. Stephen, the hero, isn’t all that exciting either –needed to take the bull by the horns at times. He lacked that fierce strength and when it finally did come through it seem
Amber
I bought this based on the high ratings, but the beginning was so cutesy that I had to put it down. I picked it back up for the TBR challenge, and I'm so glad I did. The whole thing had a very Amanda Quick vibe to it with the adorable, quirky heroine and the stern faced hero who learns to love, but it actually felt a bit more grown up (this coming from an Amanda Quick fan). The cutesy moments did continue all the way through the end, each time eliciting a shudder of both embarrassment and enjoym ...more
Maureen Feeney
This is my first book by this author and it captured my heart.
Hayley Albright is an orphan that takes care of her five siblings and a staff. She finds Lord Stephen Barrett in the woods after someone tried to kill him and She takes him home.He pretends to be a lowly tutor to remain anonymous while he recovers, and then he will track down his assassins.I know this plot has been done to death already but never as good as this.I cannot wait to read more by JD.
Kit
This was my first Jacuie D'Alessandro romance and I found it delightful. Hayley Albright was a charming heroine and her family made the story especially heartwarming. Stephen Barrett, Lord Glenfield, a.k.a. Stephen Barrettson, definitely could be the "dolt" that his sister claimed he was, yet when it really counted he became the romantic hero. The story had such a great ending that I didn't want to let this couple and their charming family go...
Cruth
"One of the greatest pleasures of having books is sharing them with others who love them as well." p.74, loc.1164

Author: Jacquie D'Alessandro
First published: 1999
Length: 353 pages, 1224 locations
Setting: London and just outside, 1820
Sex: reasonably explicit but not frequent (about three times).
Almost Cheating: These are references to the mistress Stephen left in London, during his time with Hayley. (view spoiler)
H
Sugar
Review:

I love romances with hidden identity (preferably some successful/wealthy having to pretend and live the life of someone not so financially blessed), it’s one of my absolute guilty pleasures, so obviously, this book was just what the doctor ordered. Well, there is an over privileged aristocrat Stephen, who has someone after him with the clear motive to send him to the other world. After one nasty close call, he ends up at the dedicated care of Hayley, the sole caretaker of her three siblin
Jane Stewart
Viohlet
Sarina
The heroine was AWESOME! But...the hero kinda fell short near the ending...
This book was full of funny dialogues and moments, and the kids were adorable!
But the climax point...didn't like it; plus the hero said exactly what I didn't want him to say, his character needed more growth....yes, he mended his ways, still....I couldn't like him in the end..(that's the reason for the 2 stars) [Up until that part, he was a very likable character, and I appreciated his understanding of right and wrong(eve
Ayu
Me ha gustado tanto como la primera vez que lo leí, aunque tiene una mezcla de fallos de "escritora novata" (como repeticiones y cosillas así) y una traducción que no es mala pero sí poco cuidada (una pena ^^¡).
Aún así, me ha parecido igual de encantadora. La historia es simple, sin complicaciones ni grandes líos y conflictos, pero los personajes son adorables, desde el primero al último, y es imposible no encariñarse con ellos y querer saber cómo termina todo.
Hago mención especial al afán que t
Mariane
A very beautiful story filled with mixed emotions. Everything you could ever want (or even more!) from a historical romance is in this book. It's a keeper. If you're heartless, this story will grow you a heart.
Karen Wilson
Rosetta Conti
loved it!!! I laughed I cried it was great.
Gemma
First half was good. But then it kind of fell apart. The hero drank so much he was practically an alcoholic. Then he proceeds to constantly believe the worst of the heroine. Frankly, I felt she deserved better. I ended up skimming the last 100 pages just to see how it turned out. Oh, and I figured out who the murderer was long before it was revealed.

This was really a let down because D'Alessandro is one of my favorite authors. I have many of her books on my keeper shelf. Unfortunately, this isn'
I_love_a_happily_ever_after
This is such a sweet book. I just reread it this week. I still cried my eyes out over the last quarter of the book. I love the heroine Hayley, she is so sweet and strong. I really felt I could relate to her. I was also shocked at how Stephen behaved when returning to his role as a Marquess. I know it is said that the members of the nobility could behave that way, but it was a surprising twist to the book. This is Jacquie D'Allesandro's first book, and one of her very best.

RIF
Catching up on a lot of reviews means i wont remember the details of most books in this batch. I do remember liking this one enough for 4 stars (a re-read for me), liking the well rounded characters, and that the story was mainly about falling in love. Some of the tender moments and the hero stood out enough for me I have her on my list to check out more.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Hayley Albright finds Lord Stephen Barrett wounded and bleeding on the side of the road. She cares for him and assumes he is a modest tutor and Stephen decides to let her believe it and hides there from his enemies that want him dead. But eventually the truth must come out and ...

Nice and sweet historical romance.
Mydearloverboy
3.5 stars;(
the hero was a jerk and didn't seem to redeem himself enough...I was a bit confused by his actions at times too...he didn't really seem to love the heroine...the ending seemed kind of forced and rushed;(

overall 3.5 stars for some interesting/touching romantic moments;)
Karla
Loved this book - for what genre it is in. I used to read a lot of romantic fiction in college. But when a co-worker's wife got published, I promised to read it. I'm going to have to read more of her books - in private though, shhh! no one can know.
Lady Grey
Although it seems like some of her female characters are so good and never seem to do anything wrong (like the one in this book), I do enjoy this author's books. The emotional ups and downs in this book remind me a lot of Judith McNaught's books.
Kim
4.7 Stars. Just one little nagging thing took it from being 5 stars. I wont mention it since it is a personal "me" thing. Totally enjoyed the book. Loved the family interaction.
Mary Vilarino
Started off a little slow put picked up as I went along. I certainly enjoyed reading it though at times I felt the author was trying a little too hard to be amusing.
léamh
Buena historia, la disfruté mucho desde el inicio. Bien escrita, detallada y me gustaron todos los personajes, especialmente Callie, Winston y Grimsley.
Beatrizz1983
Me leí esta novela, y la vendí en su momento, porque pasó por mí sin pena ni gloria.. pero qué me registren!! Soy incapaz de acordarme bien de ella
Dawn
I enjoyed this book despite its similarities to Judith MacNaught's Something Wonderful. The well-fleshed-out characters are a joy to root for.
  • Merely Married
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • Yours 2 Keep
  • Compromised
  • All About Seduction
  • Once a Rake
  • Dreaming
  • Touched by Fire
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
  • What a Gentleman Wants (Reece Family Trilogy, #1)
  • Royal Weddings
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • Dear Maggie
  • A Groom of One's Own (The Writing Girls, #1)
  • Molly's Millions
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • After the Abduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #3)
  • One Perfect Rose (Fallen Angels #7)
Growing up on Long Island, New York, I fell in love with romance at an early age. I dreamed of being swept away by a dashing rogue riding a spirited stallion. When my hero finally showed up, he was dressed in jeans and drove a Volkswagon, but I recognized him anyway. We married after both graduating from Hofstra University and are now living our happily-ever-afters in Atlanta, Georgia, along with ...more
More about Jacquie D'Alessandro...
Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1) The Bride Thief Confessions at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2) Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4) Seduced at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #3)