Start by marking “The History of England From the Accession of James II - Volume One” as Want to Read:
The History of England From the Accession of James II - Volume One

The History of England From the Accession of James II - Volume One

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Hardcover, From the last London edition, 524 pages
Published 1850 by Harper & Brothers, Publishers (first published June 26th 1848)

Be the first to ask a question about The History of England From the Accession of James II - Volume One

A.J. Howard
The 20th century wasn't very kind to The History of England's reputation as a work of history. I don't know the material well enough to speak to these criticisms, but I suppose there is a lot of substance behind them. Certainly Macaulay shows his biases and prejudices from time to time, probably enough to cause the modern reader to question the reliability of his narrative. But at the same time, who cares. Because whatever more modern and evenhanded historians may have over him, very few of them ...more
Robert
Jan 13, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Halfway through this book I wondered how I would explain to anyone why I was reading it. The first answer is, this interests me for some weird reason. The second reason is what attracts me to history. Looking into history gives you the long view for how we got here. It explains the influences that, for better or worse, have converged to create exactly now. Lastly, You can also see that's what's new is actually old, or merely a variation of something that went on before.
For instance, a lot of pat
Jeremy Egerer
Dec 03, 2014 Jeremy Egerer rated it it was amazing
The rare combination between a literary masterpiece and a history book, and absolutely essential to understanding the development of civil rights in America. Insightful, powerful, gripping -- one of my favorite history books I've ever read. Going to read the rest of the series.
Carol Storm
Mar 10, 2011 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best History Book Ever Written!

If you are interested in historical romance at all, especially set in the years 1685 to 1700, you should buy this book. Macauley turns all of England's most important era into one big epic adventure.

First he shows the cruel, decadent, fanatical James II, scheming to destroy England forever by bringing back absolute monarchy, Catholicism, and torture.

Then he shows the heroic Prince William of Orange (and his beautiful English wife Mary) arriving just in time to sa
Drayton Alan
Apr 03, 2015 Drayton Alan rated it really liked it
Very detailed accounts taught me a great deal I didn't know.
Timothy
Jan 16, 2015 Timothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is fantastic. It may be of doubtful utility as a work of history; but I'm fairly ignorant about the time period, and this seems as good a place as any to start. I just hope I have the fortitude to stick with this title until the end.
Chris
More poems based on history than anything else. They're not bad; they're just kinda boring. The writings at the end, the poetry that is modern in topic is far better.
Bcoghill Coghill
Sep 21, 2012 Bcoghill Coghill rated it it was ok
Very comforting book. Puts me to sleep in no time.
Xu Dou
Xu Dou marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Laura Bonner
Laura Bonner marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Reece Wilson
Reece Wilson rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
William Coates
William Coates is currently reading it
May 15, 2016
Jared Osborne
Jared Osborne marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Samantha Ridenour
Samantha Ridenour marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Stephen Miller
Stephen Miller rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Abigail Forsyth
Abigail Forsyth marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Rdb
Rdb added it
Apr 24, 2016
Lukas Epps-dawson
Lukas Epps-dawson is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2016
Carole Ratzer
Carole Ratzer marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Terry Babbage
Terry Babbage marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Jonathan Booth
Jonathan Booth marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
julia
julia marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Neil Lipman
Neil Lipman rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Cherie Wheeler
Cherie Wheeler is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2016
Claire Louise
Claire Louise marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
PJ
PJ marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Angela Al-sharafi
Angela Al-sharafi marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques and Discoveries of the English Nation
  • Washington Irving's Life of Mohammed
  • History of the Conquest of Peru: With a Preliminary View of the Civilization of the Incas
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 2: Joan of Arc, the Princes in the Tower, Bloody Mary, Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton & More
  • On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History
  • 1601: Conversation as it Was by the Social Fireside in the Time of the Tudors
  • Virgin Land: The American West as Symbol and Myth
  • 1688: The First Modern Revolution
  • Henry II
  • From the Fires of Revolution to the Great War (A History of Private Life, #4)
  • Patriotic Gore: Studies in the Literature of the American Civil War
  • Atlantis: The Antediluvian World
Thomas Babington Macaulay, 1st Baron Macaulay PC (25 October 1800 – 28 December 1859) was a British poet, historian and Whig politician. He wrote extensively as an essayist and reviewer, and on British history. He also held political office as Secretary at War between 1839 and 1841 and Paymaster-General between 1846 and 1848.

As a young man he composed the ballads Ivry and The Armada, which he late
More about Thomas Babington Macaulay...

“Everywhere there is a class of men who cling with fondness to whatever is ancient, and who, even when convinced by overpowering reasons that innovation would be beneficial, consent to it with many misgivings and forebodings. We find also everywhere another class of men, sanguine in hope, bold in speculation, always pressing forward, quick to discern the imperfections of whatever exists, disposed to think lightly of the risks and inconveniences which attend improvements and disposed to give every change credit for being an improvement.” 0 likes