Wheedle on the Needle

Wheedle on the Needle (Serendipity)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Deep in the woods of the Pacific Northwest lives a quiet old creature named the Wheedle. When humans move into his forests, bringing their loud city noises, Wheedle flees to the rocky peaks of Mount Rainier, and then to the very tip-top of Seattle's Space Needle.

A national bestseller, the beloved
Published September 22nd 2009 by Sasquatch Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Wheedle on the Needle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wheedle on the Needle

Julia Brumfield
Not only a twist on the fables that we grew up with but a great how-to story. The story starts off showing the effects that man has on the poor Wheedle and his trying escape from their racket. Although he gets temporary relief he finds himself up and seeing that civilization has advanced to his doorstep.

An entertaining story that is short and simple to read of one creature's attempts to find a place in the world while at the same time the same world having to learn to compromise. And definitel...more
abcdefg
This is a local children's classic that tells the story of a "Wheedle" who lives peacefully in the great Northwest until his peace and quiet is encroached upon by the people who come to settle in Seattle.

The people whistle while they work, making it impossible for the Wheedle to get proper rest, so the Wheedle escapes to the summit of Mount Rainier for some peace and quiet. However, over time, the Wheedle eventually wakes up to find that the people have built their city and towns so close to hi...more
Aubrey
Cute and charming story about a Seattle-area creature who wants some peace and quiet. Themes: changing environments/deforestation, dealing with change and creative problem solving.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
While this was not my favourite Stephen Cosgrove book, it was still a classic and I enjoyed it as a kid.
Sherrie
One of my childhood favorites, every time I see the red light blinking, I know it's the wheedle!
Alexandra Chauran
I remembered this book from my childhood, when I was already too old to believe that there really was a wheedle on the Space Needle. This is the best modern place-specific kids book of all time. Most such books feel like you're reading through a forced list of tourist spots that they hope the adults reading the book will be happy for their kids to learn about. This one instead weaves a living mythology with only a few landmarks that KIDS will recognize.
Lindsey
One of my favorite Serendipity books which (I think) I was introduced to on Reading Rainbow. The Wheedle is just looking for some peace and quiet but his city (Seattle in the original tale) just keeps growing and growing, getting noisier all the time. The solution makes for a good tale about community involvement and making a solution work for everyone.

As a kid, this book made me want to travel to Seattle and go to the top of the Space Needle. Just in case.
Noah Sebastian
Oct 14, 2009 Noah Sebastian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids in seattle or visiting me in seattle
Recommended to Noah by: Betsy the best librarian
This is my first review that I transcribed to my mom. I read it by myself. It was a funny book about a monster / creature that moves from one land to another because whistlers (birds, people etc.) kept him awake. He finally ended up on the top of the Space Needle in Seattle, and creates rain. You have to read it yourself to find out the end.

Mom input: This was a good read yourself book, and an awesome folk tale for kids in Seattle
Linda
a fun book to read to my children before/after a trip to Seattle 26 years ago to visit the wonderful Space Needle. Now this evening I'm sitting at my son's kitchen table looking out the window at the Space Needle all lit up against the night sky ... and the serendipity lines of the children's book Wheedle on the Needle come back to me as clear as can be. I'm sure the book is still out there, entertaining another generation of young ones.
Carly
Got a replacement copy for Christmas of this classic Seattle children's story. Charming, and firmly entrenched in a Pacific Northwestern sensibility. My belief in the Wheedle held out as long as any other childhood fantasy, and made glimpsing the Space Needle at night much more thrilling. This was originally published by Serendipity Press, which I can never find now in local bookstores...
Sara
This was never one of my favorites as a kid. It upset me a little. lol. I don't like noise either. It also had a very Grinch-esque quality to it, though the Wheedle isn't exactly trying to hurt anyone. I can see how it would be a great book for a kid with a view of the Space Needle from his bedroom window, but I lived in VA. ;D
Pam
I was wondering what would provoke a writer to tell a story about the Space Needle, when I realized the books were originally published in the city of Seattle.

this is such a cute tale and will surely answer those questions for the fog, the rain and the blinking light on the top of the Space Needle.
Christiane
I know this marks me as old, but I fondly remember those brightly illustrated and gently moralistic Serendipity books of my youth. Also, my brother had a stuffed Wheedle for years. This 35th anniversary edition is a big picture book, great for sharing with a new generation of Seattle kids.
Agnes
Great for local Seattle kids - a story about the blinking light on the top of the Space Needle. The longer narrative spreads out taking up the left side on each panel. Full of bright colors and the big, red Wheedle centered on each illustrated page.
Courtney
What causes that blinking red light on top of the Space Needle? It's the Wheedle! I loved Stephen Cosgrove's books as a kid - I read every, single one! This, Catundra, and Morgan and Me were some of my favorites. The illustrations are fantastic as well.
Natalie
My kids love this book!! (the Space Needle is one of their favorite landmarks) Shared it at playschool and everyone else loved it too! Cute, imaginative and perfect for their imaginations - esp the children living in the Puget Sound area :O)
Esmoi
This is an awkwardly written book and would really only earn a three-star rating from me if it weren't for the fact that the tale is a classic for any child who grew up in the shadow of the space needle. And I did.
MissInformation
This is an old one. It is just a story if you live outside Seattle, but if you live here, the reference to the blinking light on the Space Needle being the Weedle- you can see how kids loved that.
Mostly I liked this because it took place in Seattle, such a rare occurence, it seemed to me that most books took place in the much more glamorous New York City.
Kristen
I loved this book when I was a kid. I just purchased a copy for my own children since we will be visiting the Space Needle this summer. Very simple and very cute.
Kerry
Baby's first heroin book, just kidding, it's about a sleepy sasquatch and the Space Needle, in Seattle. Delightful and whimsical as always.
Ana Itza
En español "Ubaldo el inconforme", un excelente cuento para niños qué habla sobre el ser felices sin quitarle la felicidad a los demás.
Paige
We had this book when we were kids...loved it! and always looked at the top of the space needle and thought of him. sigh. Good times.
Michelle Ruedin
This book is the reason I will always be vaguely disappointed that people aren't whistling everywhere in Seattle. :D
Jen
A childhood favorite -- whenever my sister and I saw the blinking light we'd scream out "WHEEDLE!!!!!!"
Michael
Wow I just saw the 40th anniversary edition in the store today. Thats cool
Barbara
Bought it for my eldest (and only at the time) great-niece for Christmas 2009.
Stefanie Ibanez

Adorable bedtime story. Seven year old girl requested it.
Erin
A must read if you are taking kids to Seattle.
  • Little Miss Splendid
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)
  • What Do You Do With a Kangaroo?
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
  • The Pinkish, Purplish, Bluish Egg
  • Quiet Loud
  • Happy Birthday, Moon
  • Biscuit Visits the Big City
  • Chicken Little
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • Song of the Swallows