Start by marking “Magic Time” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Born and raised in Mississippi, Carter Ransom came to New York as a young man and has risen to become a columnist with a major city newspaper. But when his life in New York falls apart and he heads back home to recover, the still-live conflicts of his youth in the civil rights era rise up all around him again. A twenty-five-year-old murder case has just been reopened, a ch ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Picador (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Time

bookczuk
I really liked The Bridge so was looking forward to reading this. But I'm about 2/3 the way through and a bit disappointed. It just doesn't flow as well for me as Marlette's first novel did. The characters bunch up and are hard for me to keep straight, and I am not as convinced of them as I was in The Bridge. I may put this aside and come back to it later. The subject is not easy but is of interest and is not what is putting me off on the book. Must just be my mood. And of course I feel guilty b ...more
Sheri
Magic Time follows Carter Ransom, a New York transplant and Journalist who finds himself back in his Mississippi hometown as he recovers from an emotional breakdown. While there, a brash young prosecutor reopens a decades old civil rights bombing/murder case that changed a young Carter's life forever.

The trial shines a light on civil rights era wounds that have never truly healed. A middle-aged Carter still suffers the violent and sudden loss of the woman he loved. The relationship between Cart
Readnponder
I loved Doug Marlette’s first book “The Bridge” so eagerly grabbed his next book “Magic Time” at a library book sale. It is about the re-opening of a Mississippi church bombing case from 1964. The story alternates between events in 1964 and the present day. The main character, journalist Carter Ransom, has returned to Troy, Mississippi to recover from a nervous breakdown. His father was the judge during the first trial of KKK members and Carter’s girl friend was one of the victims. He wrestles w ...more
Steven
The death of Doug Marlette is a real loss. He only wrote two books; this is the better one.
I don’t find myself having much sympathy with his main characters. But I do find the plot lines and issues addressed intriguing. On the surface Magic Time address civil rights and love against its backdrop. As in so many good books, personal growth and realization is also addressed.
The plot runs quickly. The characters are interesting. Marlette adroitly handles the foreknowledge that one of the main charac
Tawnia
2/21/08 - great book! This book is both entertaining and informational about an important era of time. The love story is endearing and the strength and courage that it took to stand up for civil rights awed me.

I'm about 10 chapters into this book and I'm hooked. The book is set in the early 90's and the summer of 1964-the civil rights movement. The story is told by the main character, Carter Ransom. Cater lives in NYC, but is originally from Mississippi. You learn about the civil rights movemen
Vicki
Author Doug Marlette was/is one of my favorite authors. Having read The Bridge, I was kept alert and challenged reading Magic Time. I regret that he is no longer with us. Books offer an escape and sometimes a chance to learn, in this case about the "darker colors of history. He shows every kind of Southerner from the noblest to the worst," quoted reviewer Mark Childress on the back cover. Marlette had the capacity to apply his satire and political insight to the craft of creating a novel that ta ...more
colleen
this novel exceeded my expectations in almost every aspect. great pacing, i really moved through it. the plot was interesting -- contrasting one person's experience with modern terrorism and the terrorism of the Old South during the civil rights movement. the characters were well defined, engaging and easy to keep track of despite the large number of them. there were a few journalism faces i recognized, but i didn't feel that it detracted from the story.

my only quibble was the climax. a little t
Marjorie
May 18, 2008 Marjorie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Debbie, Lalla
Recommended to Marjorie by: Debbie
I enjoyed this book. Marlette writes very simliar to Pat Conroy. This book was basised in the civi rights era, which was interesting to learn more about that era. However in the same respect it got a little cumbersome with history at times. "Magic Time" is a long book and takes a commitive reader but it does read at a fast pace and is filled with some suspence, law and rommance along the way. It has some unexpective twists and turns and definitly keeps you interested. I am looking forward to rea ...more
Amy Bradley
This book was a suggested read after I completed The Help. The book goes back and forth from the present back to the mid 1960s and Freedom Summer. Carter Ransom, a journalist, has a breakdown and returns to Mississippi to heal. The wounds of his past are opened again when a civil rights murder case is reopened. The book presented a different perspective of race relations during the 1960s. The twists and turns continued to the very end. It was definitely a page turner that I did not want to put d ...more
Holly Pedneau
I adore this novel so much I own several different copies and loan it out to new people I meet in life. When people ask me what genre I love to read I always have a hard time answering that question. I love mystery. I love historical fiction. I love biographies. This book blends all my favorite elements into one awesome story line. I cried. I laughed. I immediately got online to find more of his books only to find out he had passed on. I highly recommend this book to anyone.
Mary Baker
I thought this book was very good and had a hard time putting it down--stayed up until early hours of the morning finishing it. The time shifts between a terrorist bombing in New York City back to a church burning in Troy, Mississippi in 1964. The plot centers around convicting an ex Ku Klux Klan grand master of ordering the church burning and the murders of four Civil Rights workers in that church at the time of the burning. Lots of buried secrets are dug up and exposed.
Lisa
Sprinkled with flashbacks, Marlette’s story ties modern terrorism to the KKK activities of the 1960s and slowly unravels the deeper truths of Carter Ransom’s life including his loss of Sarah Solomon, a civil rights worker who happens to be the love of his life, his father’s long-ago relationship with the mother of his high school sweetheart, the tragic birth of the brother he never really knew, and the secret lives of many of Troy, Mississippi’s elite citizens.
Shari
Doug Marlette
Carter Ransom is a NYC newspaper journalist who has an emotional breakdown after his girlfriend and her son narrowly escape a terrorist bombing. Carter returns home to Mississippi where 25 years his first love, a civil rights activist working to register black voters in 1964, was killed by the KKK. The story goes back and forth between the present and the past and was very interesting and intelligent.
Emily
Disappointing. It had about eleven different stories going on at once. There was so much drama and so many characters I had a difficult time keeping it all straight. It also time-jumps quite a bit.

The underlying main story is strong and some of the passages are beautiful. It gets cluttered with extra movie-type drama though. This book needed another round of editing. Simplified, it could have been amazing.
Amy Russell
While the story reads like a romantic novel from the Old South, the story recounts a Southern town's history of the Klan and some of it's leading character's involvement in its activities. While it's an easy novel to read and has a romantic sub-plot to entice you, the main theme is the disgusting behavior of some of our founding fathers in the South.
Kathy
Feels like a good time to read a book about civil rights. I'm about half way through this and it is a solid page turner.

Now that I'm finished - and I did put it down a bit, I'd say it was a little predictable, and the parts that weren't' predictable were over the top implausible, if that makes sense. I don't want to give spoilers but it was "eh."
Pmcdnld2
Marlette is best known for his political cartoons but I liked this novel built around a trial 25 years after the murders in Mississippi of civil rights workers during the l960's. Follows a young reporter from a small southern town who witnesses and suffers through the civil rights movement. Some interesting ideas about the "southern" mind set.
Christina
Overall, I really like this book, although there were parts that did really drag on. Still, it was a good fictionalized account of Freedom Summer during the Civil Rights Era in the South. I may actually include this in my syllabus next time I teach social movements.
Alissa
This was a gripping story and seamlessly blended past and present as the Carter had flashbacks to that summer in 1964. The characters were well-drawn and likeable, although since it is a southern novel, there is a large cast of characters.

Sheila
This story takes place during the civil rights era. It educated me in more detail about some of the events that occurred during that period of time. It is very well written with believable characters and events.
Betsy O'connor
I absolutely loved this book, except for about 10 pages near the end, which were just too unbelievable and overly theatrical. If you can ignore them, I'd recommend this book. It's a shame this author died so young
Mary
I liked this work of historical fiction set in the Civil Rights movement in the South. Although sometimes I couldn't keep up with the names of some of the minor characters and their role in the story.
Aksana
It was very heavy in violence, but I have learned a lot about American Civil Rights movement, being a naturalized American myself. It is pretty graphic, so, be ready if you decide to read it.
Jim
Oct 14, 2007 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
This story, about the civil rights era, and the pain wrought by the murder of a loved one (not to give anything away). Some of the story seemed a bit too easily tied together, but I enjoyed it.
Cady
Doug Marlette was a very sweet and funny man. He came to my book club to answer our questions about his book and he was so thrilled to talk to people about it. He will be terribly missed.
Maggie
Another book about now but about the tumultuous 60's in the United States. I like Mr. Marlette's writing style and cared about the characters. It was a good read.
Ann
I read this for book club. Great novel; not one that I would have chosen to read, but I enjoyed it. A historical fiction set in the 1990's and 1960's South.
Carol
Vivid depiction of the time, even if characters are somewhat stereotypic. Couldn't put it down. You read with interest as layer after layer peeled away.
Willa Schober
I dunno what this weird "manpain as a result of girlfriend dying during a pivotal moment of history" trope is about, but boy am I done with it.
George Schlukbier
A novel about the Freedom Riders. I'm just a little tired of the born Southern journalist gone to New York and returning to the South cliche.
  • Early from the Dance
  • Some Girls
  • Going to Bend: A Novel
  • Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery
  • Ruby
  • The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch (Lucy Hatch, #1)
  • The Finishing School
  • The Brotherhood of Book Hunters
  • Mad Girls in Love
  • The Good Son
  • The Sweet Hell Inside: The Rise of an Elite Black Family in the Segregated South
  • The Lost Saints of Tennessee
The Bridge A Doublewide with a View: The Kudzu Chronicles In Your Face: A Cartoonist at Work I Am Not a Televangelist!: The Continuing Saga of Reverend Will B. Dunn Shred This Book!: The Scandalous Cartoons of Doug Marlette